The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prophet 08 experiences and opinions? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th September 2011
The a6 is horrid, bad envs, bad lfos, bad modulation routs, if you have it on the sound quality mode, its aweful, zippering on modulations and complex sounds. The processor is underpowered and the whole synth suffers.

PWM never sounded right, leads never zipped like they should, basses never snap right. The a6 is ok at sound fx, pads and strings, sucks for bass and leads.I think the prophet 8 is much better, way better envelopes, modulations sound spot on unlike the a6.

I Think a couple of tetras is a better deal, because screw the horrid encoders, use software editor, and yeah, you need the sub osc to get great bass sounds out of the dsi stuff. As far as the sound, i like it more for bass and leads than any juno 60. But, for pads and strings and chime sounds, juno all the way. Tetra sync sounds kick the crap out of any roland sync sounds
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
The a6 is horrid, bad envs, bad lfos, bad modulation routs, if you have it on the sound quality mode, its aweful, zippering on modulations and complex sounds. The processor is underpowered and the whole synth suffers.

PWM never sounded right, leads never zipped like they should, basses never snap right. The a6 is ok at sound fx, pads and strings, sucks for bass and leads.I think the prophet 8 is much better, way better envelopes, modulations sound spot on unlike the a6.
so does this mean you don't like the A6?

never heard someone say it has bad mod routing before

to complete my argument I would like to finish with
Old 6th September 2011
I messed with the a6 so much when i bought it and had it for a year. It did some things great, some things really bad. I don't hate it.

Lemme re phrase: For strings, pads, sound fx, drones, the a6 wins with its dual filters, just make sure you turn off internal fx and use the voice outs to get the best results, the main outs and sub outs do not sound as good as the voice outs.

The tetra/prophet8, snappier envs so much better at bass and leads and arps. Not as good for pads and strings.

For a good test on the a6, like turn up the sound quality in the engine settings, then start messing with lfos on the osc, and the pwm, and on the filter, there is stepping and zippering, and it really soudns wrong to my ears, if you turn the settings for better modulations, it becomes tolerable, but then the sound is not as good. You cant win.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I messed with the a6 so much when i bought it and had it for a year. It did some things great, some things really bad. I don't hate it.
I dont know synths as well as you....

I've only had it a few months but soundwise I think I can compare the A6 to Prophet 08 on the basis of sound. I looked at the Polyevolver and P08 in person (more than 2 hours on each synth between a few different music shops) and I came very close to buying the Polyevolver.

For some reason tho alot of demos I heard of the A6 led me to gamble and buy a synth Id never seen/played in person over DSI and im actually really happy I took the chance

yea the A6 has some weak points like any synth but the overall sound is what matters in the end - everything is personal preference but to my ears the A6 sounds like this

wheras the DSI P08 sounds more like

*this is not a scientific comparison
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthesizerPatel View Post
If I could afford to keep the Gaia AND buy the Prophet, I definitely would.

I DO like the little Gaia, I'm just in a position where I can afford a true (poly) analogue, IF sell the Gaia.
You might want to check out a used mopho keyboard. It's way cheaper, monophonic, but sounds (imho) better than the P08, and from the little I've played on it, seems very intuitive and more fun-right-out-of-the-box. With the P08 I usually end up using it as a monophonic instrument anyway....But I guess it depends greatly on what kind of music you're making.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
For a good test on the a6, like turn up the sound quality in the engine settings, then start messing with lfos on the osc, and the pwm, and on the filter, there is stepping and zippering, and it really soudns wrong to my ears, if you turn the settings for better modulations, it becomes tolerable, but then the sound is not as good. You cant win.
Not only a6 does not have any kind of stepping but exactly the opposite happens each value is capable of up to 32.000 different values range, for example the filter cutoff has a range of 30.000 among a myriad of other parameters , that is why this synth use NRPNs in the first place as regular CCs can only offer a range of up to 128 different values.

Probably you may got a faulty one, cause mine sounds as smooth as a baby's skin.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Lemme re phrase: For strings, pads, sound fx, drones, the a6 wins with its dual filters, just make sure you turn off internal fx and use the voice outs to get the best results, the main outs and sub outs do not sound as good as the voice outs.

The tetra/prophet8, snappier envs so much better at bass and leads and arps. Not as good for pads and strings.

I have an a6; No zippering, or stepping, it does great leads and basses and its far better at basses than the p08. Envelopes are way better on the a6.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

REMINDER: This is NOT, I repeat NOT a Prophet 08 vs A6 thread! Thank you...
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
yea I really wasnt trying to do that , I just mentioned that I had demo'd the prophet 8 ALOT and the Polyevolver but ended up buying something else

I really like Polyevolver , Prophet08 not so much
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's really helpful, thank you.

If I'm honest, I'm a BIT daunted by the complexity of the Prophet, and hearing there's a fair bit of menu-diving required doesn't help.
One of the things I like about the Gaia is its ease of use, it IS really easy and FUN to programme - I have a nagging feeling I could get a bit bogged down with jargon and having to really KNOW synthesis to get the best out of the Prophet. [yes, I'm thick]

Menu diving? Complexity?

Hardly. Find yourself a Motif - THAT is menu diving. And I would hazard that the Gaia is probably no less complex than the P'08.

I wonder how one can proclaim a software envelope in one synth to be "way better" than an envelope in another synth after you remove stability factors? For example, I could see saying the P600 envelopes suck strictly because the CPU is woefully underpowered for the task, and they always seem on the edge of failing. But after that - what would make a Q's envelopes "way better" than a Juno's envelopes other than being able to add more time and level points to it?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie H View Post
yea I really wasnt trying to do that , I just mentioned that I had demo'd the prophet 8 ALOT and the Polyevolver but ended up buying something else

I really like Polyevolver , Prophet08 not so much

You did more than "just mentioned" your "demos" of the P'08; you posted a graphical representation of what you think is the difference between the P08 and an A6. That is a comparison.

And 2-hours with a PEK and P'08 is demoing them "a lot"? I'm sorry, "ALOT"?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlemeister View Post
You did more than "just mentioned" your "demos" of the P'08; you posted a graphical representation of what you think is the difference between the P08 and an A6. That is a comparison.

And 2-hours with a PEK and P'08 is demoing them "a lot"? I'm sorry, "ALOT"?
please dont take my Helen Thomas vs Scarlett comparison too seriously - after all the polyevolver and prophet 8 were my number 2 and 3 choices after the A6

How long can you demo a synth you don't own thats sitting in a storefront?
2 hours in person playing at a store + probably about 100 hours (easily, im kind of obsessive about instruments) of online research into the various forums, articles, reviews between the 3 different synths....which is pretty good I think.

I guess im also lucky that to me blowing 3k on a synth really isn't that big an investment - it seems pretty cheap to me for what you get. Im currently obsessing over this guitar for example and it's just a box with strings on it for 5k

The Classical Guitar Store ...since 1967

Bottom line is the end result - I got a synth which I think was right for me.....and it sounds better than I could have imagined. Im looking forward to learning it like any other instrument ive ever played which really takes years. Classical training and a rock background has it's ear-training advantages, I know what I want tone wise and i'm finding it in the A6 in spades
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

This doesnt make sense, an a6 is $1000+ more for a used one.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augsy View Post
This doesnt make sense, an a6 is $1000+ more for a used one.
the sound difference you get from Prophet 08 and Polyevolver to an A6 is worth that extra $$$$ (to me) is all I was saying
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

The P08 has its own unique analog sound and I wouldn't compare it against other analogues which each have their own unique character. It can cut through in a mix very well and I find that when it's combined with some quality post processing effects, it can broaden its palette of possibilites.

The other P08 positives are being able to chain two modules together for 16 voice polyphony and DSI is also a great company.

Let's just say I wouldn't replace my JP-8, A6, or Matrix for my P08 but will definitely keep it
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

25 minutes is more than enough time to know whether you do or don't like a synth.

Yeah, I said it.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto View Post
25 minutes is more than enough time to know whether you do or don't like a synth.

Yeah, I said it.
If we're talking basic, subtractive, analog synth, then yes, I agree.

Now I'll do you one better: YouTube videos are perfectly adequate for judging the basic tone of a synth you've never played in person.

Yup. I said it in public.
Old 6th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hae’ [Haudenosaunee Greeting]!

I’m preparing to obtain my first DSI synthesizer, which in all likelihood will be the PROPHET EIGHT.

I owned a PROPHET FIVE from 1983 to 1990 and really miss it.

The keyboard in my current rig that I will be replacing with the PROPHET EIGHT is an E-MU XK-SIX, which I will then give to my eleven-year-old son to learn keyboard playing.

The rest of my rig consists of an E-MU E-SYNTH, E-MU MORPHEUS, E-MU ORBIT, E-MU PLANET EARTH, E-MU VINTAGE KEYS PLUS, E-MU XTREME LEAD-ONE, ENSONIQ MR-RACK, ENSONIQ MR-SIXTY-ONE, ENSONIQ TS-TEN, MOOG ETHERWAVE THEREMIN, MOOG MINIMOOG VOYAGER KEYBOARD, MOOG MINIMOOG VOYAGER RACK, MOOG TAURUS THREE BASS PEDALS, OBERHEIM MATRIX ONE-THOUSAND, and OBERHEIM XPANDER.

Here are my questions:

How close does a PROPHET EIGHT get to sounding as fat as a PROPHET FIVE? (I find my VOYAGERS to be about ninety per cent as fat as a MINIMOOG MODEL D, which is acceptable to me given all the modern convenience features that they have. The same goes for my TAURUS THREE.)

How good is the PROPHET EIGHT at atonal noise sculpture and other non-musical sound effects? (I’ve watched countless videos on YouTube, but the vast majority of them are limited to tonal applications and presets.)

How much do the top-mounted pitch and modulation wheels on the PROPHET EIGHT limit the playability of the lower octave keys?

Since there is no built-in disc drive on the PROPHET EIGHT, what is the best way to store patches?

Can individual patches be bounced between locations internally on the PROPHET EIGHT? (I would like to have all of my synthesizers and effects units synchronized via MIDI to change patches simultaneously at the touch of one button.)

How reliable is the PROPHET EIGHT? (There are some very negative reviews concerning high repair rates and various other problems on Harmony Central and elsewhere that give me serious pause.)

How sturdy is the case that DSI offers for the PROPHET EIGHT?

Nya:weh [Thank You] in advance for your kind attention!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
If we're talking basic, subtractive, analog synth, then yes, I agree.

Now I'll do you one better: YouTube videos are perfectly adequate for judging the basic tone of a synth you've never played in person.

Yup. I said it in public.
Actually that one I'l disagree with, just because I bought a synth based on extensive youtube and internet demos, but once I got it home I couldn't stand the thing, the sound made me ill. I could only really hear the aspects of it I didn't like after going back and listening to the demos again with my own experience to compare it too.

....I have no doubt I'm going to end up buying something again based off demoes though.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
@ TODD CLARK
Hello and welcome to the forum. Most of your questions have been addressed many times on this and other forums. A quick Google search will give you most of the answers you need.

But I'll comment on a few of your questions.

ATONAL & SOUND EFFECTS: I think the P08 is good in this area. It has 4 high-speed LFOs with tons of modulation destinations, a 3rd envelope, amplitude modulation, resonant filters with keyboard tracking, and its built-in step sequencers can act as modulation sources. It doesn't do FM, but the high speed LFOs can get you into a subset of FM territory.

TOP-MOUNTED PITCH AND MOD WHEELS: I like the location of the wheels and find that I'm able to reach them with my pinky while simultaneously holding notes with the rest of my left hand.

PATCH STORAGE: Patches can be easily transferred to/from a computer using MIDI. I use the MIDIOX freeware program.

PATCH ORGANIZATION: The P08 includes on-board utilities that allow individual patches and layers to be stored to any patch or layer location on the instrument.

RELIABILITY: This topic was discussed in general within the past 6 months; it was either here or at the P08 forum. The initial encoder version of the P08 had terrible quality issues. The encoder problems have been fixed as far as I can tell. The potentiometer version (PE) is the way to go.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
I quite agree tutt

Get both

Actually I do have both and they are tonally quite different from one another. To me there is no argument, they complement one another.
Old 6th September 2011
MY a6 was not broken, and I talked to the developers extensively. The admitted these issues with me.

I think i sold it before the last software revision. So who knows, maybe they fixed a lot of the issues it shipped with and i lived with for a year.

and no, because i found these same errors at guitar center on their demo unit when it came out. These problems were talked about on the a6 site extensively years ago as well.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie H View Post
I demo'd the Prophet 08 & Poly Evolver both ALOT before eventually going on to get an A6 (phew).

I really dont like the P8 that much - the Poly Evolver tho I was very close to buying and still like the sounds alot
I demo'd the 08 and the Polyevolver a lot and got the Polyevolver. There seemed to be more depth in the sound. I don't regret it, its a great synth. I did like the 08 and it looks really good. WOuldn't mind one.....

Never liked the aesthetics of the A6.

Mihaly.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

It sounds shallow but if I don't find the UI attractive I just can't get into that piece of gear no matter how good it sounds.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
The Prophet 08 has been in my thoughts for a long time and maybe I will bye one this fall, I don't know... What is your experiences and opinions of the P08 - good and bad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post
..my P8 .. has an aggressive , precise modern tone .. its not vintage ..
Yea, I agree. Aggressive and precise and modern sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsample View Post
It can be quite buzzy sounding but also lush and warm if you take the time to program it.
Yea, that brassy/buzzy sound is obvious in use. I'm not saying you can't make it 'lush and warm', but it's certainly not what it does most naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsample View Post
Tons of modulations options, lots of room to grow. I power it on whenever I feel like experimenting with things ..
Yea, the P8 is an analog modulation beast. For simple traditional poly stuff I prefer one of my VCO synths. But with loads of modulation-options and complete patch saving, this is a great synth for really programming some special/precise sounds in the analog domain, and recalling them exactly for later use/tweaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnu View Post
one very important note of advance: DO NOT BUY THE ENCODER VERSION ... buy the PE
Agree, do not skimp on this !! (I have the encoder version btw )

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs1 View Post
... I´m not crazy about the user interface, which I find more menu-driven than the many knobs would suggest.
I've also been surprisingly annoyed by menus despite the many knobs. My issue is limited to one particular area though: You can't see the source and destination of LFO/MODs in the LCD, unless you tweak the setting itself! This is not good because if you change a source or destinaton you will likely create a major instantaneous change in sound - not too cool when jamming or when trying to maintain a flowing spontaneous workflow. Furthermore, because of the imprecise encoders, getting right back in the groove can require a concentrated effort. This is something of a flaw to me, and my only real beef with the synth. In fact, it sometimes makes it easier to use the VST editor for complex sounds. I'd definitly prefer to always see routings in the LCD when tweaking a mod/depth knob, or rather already when selecting the particular LFO/MOD. Also, the LCD can hard to read from an angle.

I agree with others that you can program the P8 to sound a bit more vintage than it really is. E.g. slew and a slow LFO modulating pitch etc. But the steps are a bit too big. Even setting the LFO depth to 1 is almost too obvious to function as a stealthy work-around to simulating VCO character.

Eventually, in conclusion: to me the P8 is a great alternative to getting one of the 'serious' VAs (Virus/Nord) or one of the classic DCO machines eg. the Junos. The P8 definitly has the analog thing going for it compared to a VA (and I'd choose the P8 in that comparison), and it reminds me most of all of the Junos. Perhaps where the Juno is fuzzy, the P8 is buzzy/fuzzy.
It doesn't quite have the lushness or the sweet/exciting filter of some classic VCO polys to my ears, and that is where the critique stems from. But you just can't expect a DCO synth to sound like a VCO synth, it won't. (I saw one poster who said he sold the Synthex because of the DCOs, proof enough to me that the difference just can't be overcome.)

I'll probably sell the P8 before I sell the Mopho, I'm not sure why, it's not entirely rational, I just feel a bit more luuuuv for the little yellow machine. Perhaps DCOs are less of a problem in a mono where you don't expect notes to weave around each other/lush pads, I don't know. On the other hand, it'll be hard for me to sell the P8 even if I use the VCO synths more, simply because of the analog P8's programming/recall features, those are great features for live use for example.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Prophet 08 PE on the way!!!!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Prophet 08 PE on the way!!!!
Nice, should keep you from lusting after an analog poly for a while.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

I just got mine a few days ago. Picked it up used for a great price. I think I need to spray a few of the encoders with DeOxit as they are not working very well. Very brassy sounds. Going to be fun to try to get some different types of sounds out of it.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru
A very "brash" synth. If you know how to tame them.. you'll love it. My AX-60 is very similar... if you know how to get the filter env's just right... it's very bold and warm.

If you like the pillowcase warmth of 70's analog... look elsewhere.. not a synth for instant gratification.
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

I had a prophet 08 for a while and loved it - very smooth and lush but surprisingly hardly used it on tracks. Clients always wandered over to it but ended up recording other Synths. I agree the presets are shocking tho it is easy to program. The keyboard felt nice and I am sure I will get another in the future but will go for the rack as the studio is beginning to look like Rick Wakeman's with so many keyboards. The Mopho is a little belter and gives you some of the Prophet sound albeit mono, but for just over £200 it's a must....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search