The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
From zero to jam - in how many minutes is your rig operational? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru

From zero to jam - in how many minutes is your rig operational?

Last weekend I visited a friend. I took my Voyager OS along and we did a little comparison between that and a Mini (serial ~4K). He's got a compact studio. It took about 15 minutes to get everything going until I could hear the Voy OS (and we found an extra outlet, and routing, and no feedback from the reverb, etc.).

15 minutes!

And that was a compact studio where everything was already hooked up, and some excellent routing software (RME) was in place. Lord knows what would've happened with something bigger.

We've got patchbays to quickly plug in stuff so we don't have. We've got a carefully constructed template file for our DAW. We've got all controllers assigned, everything plugged in and routed. Or we don't.

Discounting the time the computer takes to boot:

Theoretically, when someone comes in carrying a piece of equipment you should be ready to go after 2 cables are plugged in.

Theoretically, you should be able to produce a small audio demo of a piece of equipment in a minute. Even less if it's a softsynth.

But can you?

And if you can't, and inspiration strikes, how do you catch the muse before it dissolves?

Last edited by Yoozer; 3rd September 2011 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: setup > studio to avoid confusion
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru

Never even consider catching 'the muse' with a computer.....with the phone, within seconds! Computer/proper setup is for executing it, not catching it.......IMHO
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru

The recording medium eventually does not matter; I merely take a DAW as example because it's what most people record with (setting up tape might take longer, depending on circumstances). Anyway, thing is that I'm not counting that setup time to make the commit to a(ny) medium.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

well my laptop boots in about 30 seconds, I load up my Mopho editor, Ableton with a default template for rewired audio and control over the mopho, and then Reason with a piano patch.

not the most glamorous of setups, but I'm operational in about 1.5 - 2 minutes.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Some reveal their set-up times in this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...your-gear.html
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

As much it take to turn on 6 switches. I would say no more than 10 seconds. I dont need the computer on for using my synths so. But mac boots in 30 seconds. So it rarely exceeds 30 seconds , total, as opening garageband is instantaneous.
Old 2nd September 2011
Deleted User
It aways takes me too long time:

Hook up the laptop, the firewire cable, USB kable and USB dongles forgotten to put in the USB hub and a Logic crash therefore. Many times something is wrong such can't find the sound card, MIDI problems, new configurations.

A stationary 27" iMac, always turned on and hooked up, should solve the main part of these small, but still somehow frustrating, problems to me (have a 24" iMac, Logic and USB peripherals at my work, always hooked up and always ready to recordings and I like that).
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

about 5 seconds or so! Teenage engineering op-1.
/J
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Boot Logic, Turn on my controllers and remove dust covers, select and template setup depending on the style I want to work in and I'm ready to go. I would say about four minutes total.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I can start jamming at the flick of a couple switches. Now patching the modular and then actually recording it, well, that's another matter.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Sixty seconds to switch it all on and start the sequencer rolling and the recorder recording. 15-45 minutes
for everything to warm up enough to stabilise tuning.

rachel
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

10-20 seconds to just play keys/synths (the joys of a stone age MIDI patchbay), then about a minute to boot and start a blank session and a minute or two for a soundcheck before hitting record. Setting up a guitar/bass is maybe 30 seconds. Excavating a microphone stand from the basement and rigging a mic for vocals starts at fifteen minutes.

Edit: Oh, the bit about the muse catching — ten seconds to grab the staff paper notebook, five minutes to find a pen.
Old 2nd September 2011
If I just want to get something down, a melody line lets say it takes <2 mins. Just start up my template in Logic.

If I want to do a vocal 5mins to set up the mic.

Turning every single thing on takes about 10-15.

I always have a pair of free channels on my mixer and cables handy so if someone brings any kit over its just plug and play.

Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprendista View Post
10-20 seconds to just play keys/synths (the joys of a stone age MIDI patchbay)
I've sold almost all my rack synths and I'm keeping only my modulars, keyboards, and grooveboxes, so whenever I feel like playing or programming sounds, I just turn something on and get at it. I still have an old Roland A880, but use it mostly to distribute a MIDI clock to sync everything together.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I can be up amd running in the time that it takes to turn on all the switches. I have to wait for the computer to turn on and load logic. I can be jamming before that happens.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

About 10 seconds I suppose. Plug in the main power, turn on the Monomachine, turn on the Vermona, turn on the X0xb0x. The Mackie mixer, the uWave XT and the Moogerfoogers turn on automatically when I turn on the power.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I assume you meant a live/jamming rig, and not the home studio?

10 minutes from case to mixer. Laptop, Maschine, Lpk25,Ipad, Audiokontrol1, usb hub.

At home I have extra mic, line and midi cables plugged in, coiled and ready to go if I need to hook someone in.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel View Post
Sixty seconds to switch it all on and start the sequencer rolling and the recorder recording. 15-45 minutes
for everything to warm up enough to stabilise tuning.

rachel
Same here, probably about a minute or two to flick on all the gear, though I normally don't switch on everything. Two mins to open Logic and set up channel strips but to just jam I don't need Logic; having an analogue mixer & hardware effects.

Probably after 30 mins or so I may have to re-tune the Jupiters and SH-2.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Since I seldom shut the laptop off (sleeping instead) I'd say about a minute to fire up everything. Add some more time if I'm starting up a new recording project, but to just play...a minute. The slowest piece is my Motif XF, takes about 40 seconds to boot.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Last weekend I visited a friend. I took my Voyager OS along and we did a little comparison between that and a Mini (serial ~4K). He's got a compact setup. It took about 15 minutes to get everything going until I could hear the Voy OS (and we found an extra outlet, and routing, and no feedback from the reverb, etc.).

15 minutes!

And that was a compact setup where everything was already hooked up, and some excellent routing software (RME) was in place. Lord knows what would've happened with something bigger.

We've got patchbays to quickly plug in stuff so we don't have. We've got a carefully constructed template file for our DAW. We've got all controllers assigned, everything plugged in and routed. Or we don't.

Discounting the time the computer takes to boot:

Theoretically, when someone comes in carrying a piece of equipment you should be ready to go after 2 cables are plugged in.

Theoretically, you should be able to produce a small audio demo of a piece of equipment in a minute. Even less if it's a softsynth.

But can you?

And if you can't, and inspiration strikes, how do you catch the muse before it dissolves?
carry a pocket recorder that is instant on
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I can go from off to recording in under a minute.

I flick a couple of mains switches, switch on the mixer, switch on the Prophet'08 and open the Laptop.

I never shut the laptop or Logic down so it's instantly on.

The only thing that might take time is if I want to record audio from the Andromeda. It takes a few seconds to boot but I might wait 10-15 minutes for it to warm up before tuning then record.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Last weekend I visited a friend. I took my Voyager OS along and we did a little comparison between that and a Mini (serial ~4K).
Silly Yoozer!

What I really want to know is, how did the comparison go
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
I assume you meant a live/jamming rig, and not the home studio?
No, specifically the home studio.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Less than a minute. The longest thing is loading my samples in my e6400 ultra, and that's even not too bad.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

i leave everything on 24/7
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post
i leave everything on 24/7
Gearslutz, using the worlds energy one synth at a time, lol!

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

About 5 mins. But like some, if i know i'll be using the gear for a while, i'll leave it on for days/weeks.

I initially thought you were referring to a live situation.
Old 3rd September 2011
JES
Lives for gear

Well, zero if I'm picking up an acoustic bass, but that's cheating in this forum.

My computer's usually on so it's a matter of Launching Ableton and turning on the monitors or putting on the headphones, maybe getting out a controller.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
I initially thought you were referring to a live situation.
I understood where the confusion comes from; when I wrote it I considered "compact studio" instead of "compact setup" in my initial post, but didn't use it. Fixed it - "studio" is less ambiguous for people who come in and only read the first post heh

In live situations there is already a very hard time limit on "booting" a setup - so naturally, those have to be fast.

In the studio you have all the time in the world - moreso if you don't have to take into account clients or anyone else (usually). I mean, it's just you alone. Until someone else drops by, then you might be scrambling.

Thing is, that time isn't usually considered. I'm in the process of getting everything in order again, and I decided to make this more of a priority so I can actually invite fellow musos over and not waste precious time on plugging things in, even though I don't have a professional studio, merely a bedroom one heh.

Reason I don't count computer boot time is because that is a necessary evil (when you don't hibernate/put it in standby. I don't).

My belief is that if you are a professional with a professional studio and you've got everything planned out and wired up anyone should be able to drop by to record, and you should be able to create a demo of a piece of gear in not much longer than it takes to play it. It'd greatly enrich the forum if this happened more (storage for attachments is pretty huge, SoundCloud accounts don't cost a thing) - and sound trumps talk.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

20mins or so

Everything has to warm up

Its like managing a Major League bullpen

Sent from my PG06100 using Gearslutz.com App

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search