The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai Sampler EPROM chips? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Akai Sampler EPROM chips?

I just got some new flash rom chips for my Akai S3200XL. Rare stuff, and cost me a pretty penny. But unfortunately I can't use them for what they're made for (auto-loading) since I don't have an EPROM chip that is v 1.5 or higher.

The deal is, I've got an EPROM chip that is v 1.05, but you need a v 1.5 to be able to read the flash rom at all. Currently I use a a floppy disk with the v 2.0 operating system and it loads upon bootup. My problem here is that you have to let the OS load from the flash rom itself for auto-loading to work, and since I've got to boot from a floppy to get the sampler to recognize the flash rom at all, the OS is already loaded and it doesn't boot the OS off of the flash rom.

So yeah, I need to get an EPROM that is version 1.5, maybe 2.0 for the S3200XL for this to work. Anyone have any idea where I may be able to get one?
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

By the way guys, I might be able to get away with loading a v 1.5 OS diskette into the sampler, then the flash rom may boot with the v 2.0 since it's a 'higher' OS version. Does anyone have the 1.5 version EPROM on the S3200XL? I would be grateful if someone could load up their sampler and create a completely stock v 1.5 OS diskette for me to try and see if this workaround works.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

You can get the ROM files from the Akai website and burn your own chips..
They usually have the ROM files and a version of the OS that can be loaded from floppy .
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Unfortunately the Akai site doesn't have anything for the S3200XL at all, I had to go somewhere else to get the v 2.0 operating system.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSLand View Post
Unfortunately the Akai site doesn't have anything for the S3200XL at all, I had to go somewhere else to get the v 2.0 operating system.
That's odd. They have what looks like all the other S series stuff.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

boot sampler with required os on a floppy....
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I can't find the 1.5 version anywhere on the net, only v 2.0 and it doesn't work since there is no 'newer' OS to load from the flash rom. Or maybe there has to be an ERPROM in there higher than mine, period.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
It is a kludgey solution, but you could buy another s3200 with the 2.0 eprom, swap the chips, and resell the sampler.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

is it not possible to save the os on a floppy on the s3200? if so find someone with one and ask them to make a floppy for you
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Still on the hunt for an S3200XL EPROM. I can't find these things anywhere. I'm willing to buy an entirely new S3200XL if it comes with the V2 OS (or 1.5 even) but these samplers don't come up for sale very often.

I've invested a lot of time and cash to track down all of the parts to max out the S3200XL and it's looking like it's a wasted effort.

Please god, make someone read this that can help me out...
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Version 1.5 (for the S3000XL) looks like it's here, bottom of the page: 32 Megabyte Sampler Memory

I think I read that the S3000XL and S3200XL use the same OS file and the OS works out which one it's in by a jumper on the motherboard.

There are some sellers of V2 on Ebay UK Akai Sampler EPROM chips?here and Akai Sampler EPROM chips?here.
Old 15th October 2011
Here for the gear

EEPROM chips

Quote:
Still on the hunt for an S3200XL EPROM. I can't find these things anywhere. I'm willing to buy an entirely new S3200XL if it comes with the V2 OS (or 1.5 even) but these samplers don't come up for sale very often.

I've invested a lot of time and cash to track down all of the parts to max out the S3200XL and it's looking like it's a wasted effort.

Please god, make someone read this that can help me out...

Hi,

I'v got a guy on ebay burning chips for the s1000s do you want the address?
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Addict

Not to hijack this thread at all, but I think I have a Floppy disk with the v2.0 OS on and it loads on start up.

I can't for the life of me remember the page to check the info of my booted S3200XL to see what version number it has once its loaded (ie: to check that is is running the v2.0 from the floppy)?
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

It says on the front LCD when booting. I got this problem resolved though, I hacked own V2.0 EPROM.
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
It says on the front LCD when booting. I got this problem resolved though, I hacked own V2.0 EPROM.
Great, so how did you'hack' your own v2.0 eprom?
Old 23rd January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
They don't have the 3200XL version. I ordered from them and they sent me the S-3000XL version. It's a common mistake that the S-3000/S-3000XL version will work in the S3200XL version. It won't. Got a refund for it.

As far as hacking, I can't even begin to tell you how many times I had to go back and forth programming the EPROM and getting my fingers bloody from the EPROM legs sticking underneath my fingernails. It was mostly a matter of comparing the code back and forth from a 3000XL chip and the 2.0 OS disk. But I got it working fine. I've got a programmer and I can burn you a chip if you need one for a few bucks. I've already got two backup copies sitting around just in case. PM me.
Old 24th January 2012
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
They don't have the 3200XL version. I ordered from them and they sent me the S-3000XL version. It's a common mistake that the S-3000/S-3000XL version will work in the S3200XL version. It won't. Got a refund for it.
I'm about 95% sure the 3200xl is the same machine as the 3000 series, not the 3000xl. A lot of people don't know that. The 3000 series EPROM should work.

Anyway, I'm just posting this information for posterior's sake, as you've already solved your problem.
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

That's what the guys at VST thought too. I asked them 2 times in a row if they *really* had S3200XL Eproms and they assured me. When the chip got here it was a 3000XL. Popped it in and no go as expected. The 3000 floppy OS doesn't work either and that's how I knew.

If you put the 3000 OS into the 3200XL, it'll boot but functionality is limited and there's no sound from the sampler. I was surprised to find all that out myself and I thought the 3000 OS would work since I originally read it was the same machine too.

Took me months to figure all that out.
Old 24th January 2012
Goddamn!

I know this isn't helpful at all and I hate to piss on the parade, but is all this **** really worth it? It's just a sampler, not a ****ing Stradivarius. Surely there are better options in this day and age to get the point across. Is anybody going to know or care that you're using the super awesome filters of the Akai S3200XL? It just seems like an awful waste of time, considering it's 2012 and we're all going to die soon anyway!

Yes, this is a short-sided drunken post!
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Addict

Hahaha lol.

I think I'll just boot it from the v2 floppy as its the same
Old 4th October 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by flsh333 View Post
I think I'll just boot it from the v2 floppy as its the same
I have 2 S3200XL's and for me the v2.0 floppy was not the same as the V2.0 Eprom.
The v2.0 floppy has a bug (the version i downloaded friom the net at least)
The bug is that you can not route an external signal through the EB-16 FX. You will hear a loud sine sort noise !!
The V2.0 Eprom (which I ordered on Ebay (UK) did not have this bug.
Old 13th March 2013
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=HSLand;6992303.

The deal is, I've got an EPROM chip that is v 1.05, but you need a v 1.5 to be able to read the flash rom at all. Currently I use a a floppy disk with the v 2.0 operating system and it loads upon bootup. My problem here is that you have to let the OS load from the flash rom itself for auto-loading to work, and since I've got to boot from a floppy to get the sampler to recognize the flash rom at all, the OS is already loaded and it doesn't boot the OS off of the flash rom.

So yeah, I need to get an EPROM that is version 1.5, maybe 2.0 for the S3200XL for this to work. Anyone have any idea where I may be able to get one?[/QUOTE]

Did you get this all working?

I have problems with Flashroms (Mutec) and the S3200XL as well.
at one point I had 2 S3200XL's (with os v1.5 and osv2.0 on eprom) 2 S3000XL's (with OS v2.0 on Eprom) and 3 Mutec Flash rom cards (2* Mutec FMC-02 and 1 Mutec FMC-01)

My problem:
All 3 flash rom cards worked perfect on the S3000XL's, but none of them worked in the S3200XL's. They were reconized on start up, but I was unable to format the flashrom and therefore unable to save to the flash cards.
Trying to format on the S3200XL causes the sampler to freeze!!
When I removed the flash from the S3200XL and placed it back in the S3000XL, it was working perfect again. (format, read and write to/from flash)

Anyone else have experience with this?
My own theory: The format proces on the S3200XL is slightly different from the S3000XL and once the flash rom is formatted on the S3000XL you can never format it again on the S3200XL.

At the moment I only have 2 S3200XL's left and 1 Mutec FMC-02 (16mb) flashrom. I can not use the Flash and I'm hoping for a solution at one moment.

Cheers
Old 7th March 2015
Here for the gear
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but in case anyone is still looking for a 2.0 eprom for the 3200xl, these guys sell them: Circuitbenders - Akai sampler OS EPROM's for sale

Just waiting for mine, hopefully they work

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search