The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
When will the linndrum make a comeback? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

When will the linndrum make a comeback?

my linn lm-2 is my favorite drum machine, and i have an 808 909 and obie dmx as well. the linn can sound sooo unique and fat but in a different fat than say an 808 or 909. the linn has such a cool sound. Example: early madonna lucky star burnin up etc.. as well as prince. Its on countless 80s songs, and then just like that the linn died. what happened? when will it make its comback like the 808 and 909? i know katy perrys friday night has a linn in it but thats about it as far as modern songs go. BRING BACK THE LINNDRUM!!
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I think it will come back at around the same time as the dmx. Shame they are both great killer machines.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

exactly how i feel, i want to use it but it always sounds so different and 80s, everyone wants an 808 sound.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Linn 9000 is still the greatest!
No way, the LM-1 is the best.

(not really Gary's finest but the LM-1 sounds great)
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

hopefully never. though aren't we still in the midst of this damn 80s revival nonsense? so, seems like it's either missed its comeback window or is not going to come back.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Probably never.
Old 2nd September 2011
LinnDrum 2

I think once the Tempest is out in stores, work on this will progress reasonably quickly...
It's pretty much vapourware at the moment, but I'm sure it WILL happen. There's too much money to be made.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru
It's like the other Roland D-50 ... it was never truly "out"
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlegob View Post
LinnDrum 2

I think once the Tempest is out in stores, work on this will progress reasonably quickly...
It's pretty much vapourware at the moment, but I'm sure it WILL happen. There's too much money to be made.
I asked this on the big Tempest forum but never got an answer. Can the Tempest sound like the old Linn Drum?

I watched a few videos with Dave and Roger but does it have preset sounds that you can change? Like punch up an LM-1?
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Haven't they been popular again since 97'?
Old 2nd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post
I asked this on the big Tempest forum but never got an answer. Can the Tempest sound like the old Linn Drum?

I watched a few videos with Dave and Roger but does it have preset sounds that you can change? Like punch up an LM-1?
That Tempest forum goes quiet for weeks. The Tempest is primarily a DSI instrument, but Dave Smith and Roger Linn are also making a completely different drum machine called the Linndrum II. They haven't said much about it, other than it won't be analog.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 View Post
my linn lm-2 is my favorite drum machine
If you're talking about the one that came out in 1983, that's called a Linndrum, not an LM-2.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

I wouldn't worry about it; the less other people are using them, the more striking it will be when you put one in a track.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

hmm. Probably 60% of the new music I'm listening to has linn or DX sounds...I use at least one linn sound in probably 70% of my productions...
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
hopefully never. though aren't we still in the midst of this damn 80s revival nonsense? so, seems like it's either missed its comeback window or is not going to come back.
Check out this innovator!
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

its is the lm-2 look it up, it is also called a linndrum.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post

Great vid ! Thanks ! Prince did mentioned in a interview he was inspired by Gary Numann and in this rhythm pattern it's more than obvious (not saying its a bad thing though) if I had to keep only one of all linn machines I would keep the forat 9000 with all the optionsheh even the lm-1 has a fat sound IMHO
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

just what we need. linns getting popular so they cost 5 thousand dollars on ebay. The LM-1 already goes for 3k
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestack View Post
just what we need. linns getting popular so they cost 5 thousand dollars on ebay. The LM-1 already goes for 3k
A DMX just sold on ebay for $999...scary
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post

I'm sitting here listening to this thinking, this doesn't sound AT ALL like Gary Numan. This CAN'T be Gary Numan......

Then I realized I was thinking of Randy Newman.......

But yeah, great sounding drum machine. Love the prince stuff. I need to get my hands on some nice Linn samples, 'cause I sure as hell can't afford one!

frank
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
when will it make its comback like the 808 and 909?

probably some sort of Waterworld-esque post-apocalypse scenario,
where people are impressed by clumps of dirt.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
I think it's funny, because all the music I listen to and lots of pop on the radio is plastered with the vintage 8 bits (linn, dmx, DX, drumtraks etc)
[maybe not the actual machines, but samples or derivatives of samples]

I feel more sorry for people hanging onto the 808 / 909 dream. . when was the last time a straight up 909 was in the pop charts? Mid 90's Madonna? Lol

Personally, I'd choose a Linndrum over a 909 / 808 any day. But then again, I've always hated 808's and 909's.. There, I said it.. And I feel better.
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
its is the lm-2 look it up, it is also called a linndrum.
No, you are wrong. It was never called LM-2. Only Linndrum.

WT
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

I love the clap in that Gary Numan song.. but the funny thing is, it's not a linn clap.. it sounds more like a DMX one. Prince uses it all the time too, and i still kinda wonder if it was possible to exchange rom chips between the linn and the DMX, or maybe sync them up somehow.. anyone have an idea how it was done?
Old 24th September 2011
Mr Arkadin
Quote:
Originally Posted by payt View Post
I love the clap in that Gary Numan song.. but the funny thing is, it's not a linn clap.. it sounds more like a DMX one. Prince uses it all the time too
No, it's a detuned LM-1 clap all right. I have samples of various tunings and this sound is there. Plus the Dance album credits specifically say LM-1 on this track.
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

It sounds exactly as my lm-1 clap sitting few inches from my computerheh
Don't know the dmx tough so who knows...

Last edited by isham; 24th September 2011 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: Yep detuned !
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

(Switches on the DMX and the LM1 to compare)

It is not a DMX clap......

it is the LM1 for sure.

WT
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

For me the LinnDrum came back today! (from the repair store )
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hooray !!

WT
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveterm View Post
Hooray !!

WT
Hehehe - thank you, Wave

Actually it's going away again very soon (to Forat, with its sister the 9000 as well - to add MIDI to the LinnDrum and give the 9000 some TLC).

Speaking of you, to celebrate the return of my beloved drum machine, I just made a video featuring the LinnDrum and the PPG, here it is. Miami Vice style, baby! heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search