The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
When will the linndrum make a comeback? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 6th January 2015
Gear Maniac

mine's coming back this week! Just got a new battery installed and some new chips on the way. The faders need a bit of cleaning (might disassemble them-I'd bet there's no NOS or replacements around today) but other than that, it's all back working and sounding great! You really have to hear one in person to understand what a special thing it is.. Anyone got the Forat Midi kit installed? Is that something worth investing in?
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

Whats a fair price for a linndrum these days?
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear
I put a forat kit in mine.

If you want to clock it reliably from MIDI then I'd say it's essential!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgkeys View Post
mine's coming back this week! Just got a new battery installed and some new chips on the way. The faders need a bit of cleaning (might disassemble them-I'd bet there's no NOS or replacements around today) but other than that, it's all back working and sounding great! You really have to hear one in person to understand what a special thing it is.. Anyone got the Forat Midi kit installed? Is that something worth investing in?
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

Which version was used on this?

No hate, I love this song and the drums sound so 80's in a good way.

And it was a Linn, or so I have read.
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

It was the standard sounds from the Linndrum.

WT
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveterm View Post
It was the standard sounds from the Linndrum.

WT
Thank you!
Old 7th January 2015
Lives for gear
Easily my favorite drum machine - the Linndrum .

It feels great
It looks great
It sounds great

That snare - so fat .
Those hihats.. I can listen to them shuffle along all day.
Old 7th January 2015
Lives for gear

Is it the sequencer and UI that make it so special? It seems the samples are pretty easy to come by.

I almost bought one when they were still cheap, I think a bit more than a 505 or 707 but to me it just sounded like a slightly better verson of those. I regret it now.
Old 23rd February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho View Post
Whats a fair price for a linndrum these days?
In the UK you're looking at anything from 1400-2000. :/

Mental when I could have got one for 700 quid 5 years ago and still considered that toppy. Sold my DX at the time for about 350, and even those are around 900 quid now.
Old 23rd February 2015
I love the sound of the Linndrum, but perhaps because i'm a big Prince Fan
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

When it sounds good?

Old 23rd February 2015
Deleted b598644
OP has a linndrum and asks when it will come back so that the prices will be higher?
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 View Post
my linn lm-2 is my favorite drum machine, and i have an 808 909 and obie dmx as well. the linn can sound sooo unique and fat but in a different fat than say an 808 or 909. the linn has such a cool sound. Example: early madonna lucky star burnin up etc.. as well as prince. Its on countless 80s songs, and then just like that the linn died. what happened? when will it make its comback like the 808 and 909? i know katy perrys friday night has a linn in it but thats about it as far as modern songs go. BRING BACK THE LINNDRUM!!
In my opinion it has never gone away. I seem to hear it everywhere.

On another note... The is no such thing as the LM-2. I made the mistake of calling the Linndrum an LM-2 and I was immediately set straight by Roger Linn himself.

"There is the LM-1 and the Linndrum", he said. He was most polite in his reposnse but I could tell it really irritated him.
Old 23rd February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b598644 View Post
OP has a linndrum and asks when it will come back so that the prices will be higher?
Such a deduction is really a stretch without any facts to come to such a conclusion.

I have an Orban spring reverb and when I mentioned in a post about reverbs how great it was for such a low cost unit I was accused of the same. Yet I have no plans to ever let it go.

Last edited by Sounds Great; 23rd February 2015 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 23rd February 2015
Deleted b598644
second hand prices for 80s gear is already skyhigh
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakker View Post
In the UK you're looking at anything from 1400-2000. :/

Mental when I could have got one for 700 quid 5 years ago and still considered that toppy. Sold my DX at the time for about 350, and even those are around 900 quid now.
Sigh... yea crazy. Back when I asked that there was one on ebay for $1400 was trying to see if that was crazy high or not. Couldn't quite bring myself to spend that much on one, even if it is what they go for.

Instead I just popped some eproms with linn samples into my alesis hr16b, if you close your eyes, wear ear plugs and stand outside in the rain it sounds really close!

Now I just need to make a fake lm-2 box out of printouts and cardboard that I can put on top of the whole thing, and the fantasy will be complete.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search