The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
When will the linndrum make a comeback? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Doesn´t need anything more than this !

WT
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Hehehe - thank you, Wave

Actually it's going away again very soon (to Forat, with its sister the 9000 as well - to add MIDI to the LinnDrum and give the 9000 some TLC).

Speaking of you, to celebrate the return of my beloved drum machine, I just made a video featuring the LinnDrum and the PPG, here it is. Miami Vice style, baby! heh

Nice! that JD-800 sounds really silky (if i can use that word)
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by payt View Post
i still kinda wonder if it was possible to exchange rom chips between the linn and the DMX, or maybe sync them up somehow.. anyone have an idea how it was done?
I don't think the Oberheim and Linn chips are entirely interchangeable. I don't remember the specifics, but there are differences: straight samples versus compressed samples with analog envelopes, linear versus companded... If you want to hear the LM-1 with different chips, I think Devo used them sometimes.

This is a demo for "The Super Thing", but I think you can hear the LM-1 a little more clearly here than on the album version. I could be wrong (I'm obsessive drum machine spotter, not a Linn owner), but that one sound isn't a sample that I'm familiar with. And I wouldn't suspect it would be something else (a triggered Emulator or digital delay or whatever).
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

You mean the handclap right ?

It is a custom sample I believe.

WT
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

hmm that's interesting. All i have is some sample packs of all the linndrum machines, and none of the claps sound like the Prince/Numan clap.

Maybe i should look for a better sample pack
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

The final sound depends a lot on the way the LM1 controls the playback rate of the eprom when you pitch the sound up or down.

Most modern samplers or VSTi´s does it differently causing the samples to sound.....well, different.

WT
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love the clap in that Gary Numan song.. but the funny thing is, it's not a linn clap.. it sounds more like a DMX one. Prince uses it all the time too, and i still kinda wonder if it was possible to exchange rom chips between the linn and the DMX, or maybe sync them up somehow.. anyone have an idea how it was done?
don't own a linndrum, but isn't it the sidestick tuned down and not a clap?
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Prince uses both the clap and the rimshot. This is the clap.

WT
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
hmm that's interesting. All i have is some sample packs of all the linndrum machines, and none of the claps sound like the Prince/Numan clap.
It's just tuned down. Here's another example (which would be a lot more evident if the sound quality weren't so terrible):

Quote:
The final sound depends a lot on the way the LM1 controls the playback rate of the eprom when you pitch the sound up or down.

Most modern samplers or VSTi´s does it differently causing the samples to sound.....well, different.
Yeah, the Linn is variable sample rate/zero order hold; most samplers (and all softsynths/DAWs) are fixed sample rate with interpolation. You can't easily emulate these things (Fairlight, etc.) on a fixed rate system. It will sound dull if you transpose down and alias if you transpose up.
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post
I don't think the Oberheim and Linn chips are entirely interchangeable. I don't remember the specifics, but there are differences: straight samples versus compressed samples with analog envelopes, linear versus companded... If you want to hear the LM-1 with different chips, I think Devo used them sometimes.

This is a demo for "The Super Thing", but I think you can hear the LM-1 a little more clearly here than on the album version. I could be wrong (I'm obsessive drum machine spotter, not a Linn owner), but that one sound isn't a sample that I'm familiar with. And I wouldn't suspect it would be something else (a triggered Emulator or digital delay or whatever).
those claps, sounds to me like they're coming from simmons "clap trap"
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, I´ve suspected that, not having owned a Clap Trap only tested one briefly in a shop a long time ago.

WT
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Allright i did a little research, and it turns out that most samplepacks actually contain the wrong samples. Most contain the samples of later Linndrums. The LM-1 had some unique sounding drums, and the clap was one of them.

For the authentic samples of the LM-1 and other incarnations of the linndrum, i found this site, which apparently has the actual eprom data as it was used by the several versions of the linndrum.

EPROM Images

As you can hear the LM-1 sounds different to the other linndrums.. i think it's about the funkiest drum machine this side of the universe
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

WT
Old 20th June 2012
Here for the gear

It might a *tiny bit* since the Tempest is out, but not really right now...

Bring back the LM-1, Rodger Linn!!!
Old 20th June 2012
Gear Maniac

That's unlikely -- on his web site, Roger Linn says:
Quote:
LinnDrum II is still in development but given the recent focus on Tempest development, it's won't be coming soon. If you're looking for an amazing new drum machine and aren't focused on a purely digital product, please consider Tempest.
Here's the full story:

Preview: LinnDrum II
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

If the Linndrum ever comes back (not that I give a damn) I hope it will focuses on design features such as programability, performance, sequencing, etc. rather than revisiting old sounds, so a brand new sample set would be also pretty logical... Just a nice digital programmable drum machine to give the Elektrons a run for their money. That would be the only way I would be interested in a new Linndrum, other than that, I try to stay away from the original sounds ...
Old 21st June 2012
Gear Guru

LM-1 on a half finished song I once did, hand claps and all.

Or maybe it was an LM-2. I just knew it as a Linn Drum at the time.

Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

That´s a Linndrum.

WT
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
LM-1 on a half finished song I once did, hand claps and all.

Or maybe it was an LM-2. I just knew it as a Linn Drum at the time.

Dig the rush quote one of my fav's. I will now listen to Natural Science
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Sounds more like a TR-707 to me.

Still a great track

WT
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

I agree a new LinnDrum should focus on new and push things but ppl also want the classic sounds sink don't see an issue with including a sound bank of the original samples in addition to all the new. Satisfy everyone
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
I agree a new LinnDrum should focus on new and push things but ppl also want the classic sounds sink don't see an issue with including a sound bank of the original samples in addition to all the new. Satisfy everyone
And it should have the classic sounds, and I'm sure that Roger won't disappoint in regards to putting out a nice piece of kit (judging by what he contributed with the Tempest).
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

the LinnDrum II is supposed to be a drum sampler so basically put in it what you want.. that being said the status of it is pretty much vaporware at this point i'm afraid.. btw i've got Tempest and it has LM-1 & LinnDrum kits, they sound ok but far from the quality of the originals especially when detuned.. samples just don't sound the same it seems, unless it's in a Linn 9000:
Old 4th January 2015
Lives for gear

So watching SynthMania's YT channel has me jonesing for some 80s non-Roland drum machine sounds...do any modern drum machines get close? I don't think the TR-8, MD, or Rytm get close, and the Tempest doesn't either. What else is left (that's OTB)?
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Nut
Well, while we wait for the LinnDrum II, has anyone else looked into Aly James Lab's VLinn VST? Only downside is if you want the Linndrum sounds over the LM-1, legally, you'll need to order some chips from Forat to dump to your computer.
Old 6th January 2015
Gear Guru

This was the first attempt with my new Linn Drum, a Roland S50 sampler, and a few other things synced up to an Akai 12 track tape deck, about 1986. The song was never really finished as I got rid of the Akai shortly after. But anyway..

Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

Go, Tempest! Roger Linn has put a lot of effort into Linnstrument, and I think/hope this is to generate interest for the LDII. Akai have moved out of the standalone sequencer-sampler market so an awesome sampling drum machine is about due. :-D C'mon financiers!
Old 6th January 2015
Gear Guru

Linn Drums are awesome.
Old 6th January 2015
Gear Addict

The Linn is very much back in synthwave. Kavinski/perturbator/la casette etc, I'm on the hunt for one myself. Hopefully a local one pops up before that style goes mainstream and prices double.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search