The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The way I perseve frequency/colour; how do you ? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

The way I perseve frequency/colour; how do you ?

I have been looking through a few magazines and it became apparent to me that I look at frequencyin the opposite of what they on the whole consider to be shades of tone.. for example for me: bass would be purple in colour (given it is sitting lower my than my kick), kick drums blue, snares orange to light green, a rhodes sitting around the same range as the snare, hi hats yellow.

When I sequence I arrange my parts according to the tone; rising from dark to light/ low to high.

When I look at some charts the hats are toned as blue and so fourth, It has no bearing on changing my perception but I am interested how do you view tone as a colour?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Usually that's a pretty particular trait to people who experience synesthesia, so I would suppose that those that experience it are likely to have some type of remotely similar process of association while those that do not experience it may not.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
Usually that's a pretty particular trait to people who experience synesthesia, so I would suppose that experience it are likely to have some type of remotely similar process of association while those that do not experience may not.

wow that's really interesting thanks for posting, I am looking this up now and most of it makes sense to me in definition, weird that it's something described as a condition.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't think anyone views it negatively, at least that I've ever heard of. I think "condition" in that instance is just a descriptor for meaning "not usual to the average population base reported".

Also, you might re-name the title of your thread. I understand english may not be your primary language, but the misspelling of "perceive" as "perseve" is likely be interpreted as a misspelling of "persevere" which may confuse people when they enter the thread.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think anyone views it negatively, at least that I've ever heard of. I think "condition" in that instance is just a descriptor for meaning "not usual to the average population base reported".

Also, you might re-name the title of your thread. I understand english may not be your primary language, but the misspelling of "perceive" as "perseve" is likely be interpreted as a misspelling of "persevere" which may confuse people when they enter the thread.
that's my bad I am very much english I'll change.. thanks

edit: 1000 + posts later how do I actually change a thread title?
Old 2nd September 2011
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

i used to get that, but soon found it was directly related to me smoking weed, I don't smoke weed know and I don't get it now.

maybe thc stimulates the same parts of the brain?
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I tried a thread like this once, but it's tricky to get people interested as it's such an abstract individual concept to attempt to share:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...urs-music.html
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
the misspelling of "perceive" as "perseve" is likely be interpreted as a misspelling of "persevere" which may confuse people when they enter the thread.
I read it as "perverse" which drew me right to the thread.

-synthoid
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
I read it as "perverse" which drew me right to the thread.

-synthoid
Somewhat ironically I actually meant to say "preserve".

So I screwed even my own thought up.

Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Enjoy yourselves I can't edit that title... thanks for the input, re the weed I stopped doing that when I realised that's all I did, many years ago now.

I don't if I'm totally afflicted with this great thing called synesthesia, but I think I have some elements to it.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genieg View Post
I don't if I'm totally afflicted with this great thing called synesthesia, but I think I have some elements to it.
What's crucial is, do you actually SEE it?

Like, when you play music, does the image before your eyes suddenly become uncontrollably clouded with colours... or is this just a way your mind categorises things?

If the latter, I suspect most people will do this to an extent... ie, heavy, duller sounds might take darker tones, whilst high, shimmery tones might be associated with bright colours.

Synesthesia is extremely rare... but if you have got it, I'm a little bit jealous!
From what little I know about it, CAT scans have demonstrated that synesthetes have synaptic connection between areas of the brain that most people don't; a fusion between the areas that deal with vision, and the areas that deal with hearing... thus, when one is triggered, it can stimulate the other.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post

Like, when you play music, does the image before your eyes suddenly become uncontrollably clouded with colours... or is this just a way your mind categorises things?

If the latter, I suspect most people will do this to an extent... ie, heavy, duller sounds might take darker tones, whilst high, shimmery tones might be associated with bright colours.
Good description of the difference between really seeing colours at the sound and merely imagining colours in sound.

I always feel the latter, and this tends to be subjective when compared to other people (slap bass is nearly always blue for me).

The only time I get the former is when I suffer from this:

Exploding head syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The debate is still open whether the actual source of the sound is inside one's head or whether it is some random bang or click from outside. What is certain is that this occurs generally in that period of drifting off into sleep and that the image in front of the mind's eye differs depending on the sound (but is mostly not colourful, usually looking either like static or bright flash of white).
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Synesthesia is extremely rare... but if you have got it, I'm a little bit jealous!
From what little I know about it, CAT scans have demonstrated that synesthetes have synaptic connection between areas of the brain that most people don't; a fusion between the areas that deal with vision, and the areas that deal with hearing... thus, when one is triggered, it can stimulate the other.

this is the thing Simon, I was unaware of synesthesia until this thread so it's made interesting reading. However I don't I go into anything uncontrollable when listening to music.

The way I visualize music colours wise if I listen/analyse a certain track may have a mood that I would link to a colour, by breaking that track up into individual parts then I get various shades of the type I listed in my first post.

I think your explanation with the way a person's mind categorises music/tone/mood is the best way to describe my approach with making and listening to music; it's all conscious thought, altough I think I may have experienced uncontrollable colours when trying to sleep/listening to music after a night out and the extras to go with it, but again a few years ago heh
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
WOW!

'Loud voices or screams' just as you are nodding off to sleep!? Scary!

What's most curious is that the wikipedia article states- 'Recent studies seem to indicate that prevalence of exploding head syndrome is highest among listeners of a style of music known as 'psy-trance'; whereby people jump up & down on the spot as they listen to repetitions of grossly basic synthesiser arpeggios. Several doctors have hypothesised that the participants in the scene have literally destroyed their own brain cells by excessive pogoing.'
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genieg View Post
extras
He he, yeah, those extras can sometimes be pretty hallucinogenic ;-)
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
WOW!

What's most curious is that the wikipedia article states- 'Recent studies seem to indicate that prevalence of exploding head syndrome is highest among listeners of a style of music known as 'psy-trance'; whereby people jump up & down on the spot as they listen to repetitions of grossly basic synthesiser arpeggios. Several doctors have hypothesised that the participants in the scene have literally destroyed their own brain cells by excessive pogoing.'

guilty as charged, ya funny bugger

But yeah, I don't get the voices

I get the bangs, clicks, white noise and scratches...instantly accompanied by a flash of white, or streaks of grey static (like how TV used to look when you couldn't find a channel).

I've had it for years and just assumed I was crazy...but recently decided to finally google it, and eventually found this:

The Body Odd - Loud crash at 3 a.m.? It may be your exploding head

There's over 600 comments from people with the same experiences...tho' when I look now for some reason I can't see the comments (a few months ago when I first found this page all the comments were viewable...might just be my flashblocker or something).
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
But yeah, I don't get the voices
Come on Dholl... we are all friends here... What do the voices tell you to do??
Old 2nd September 2011
Lately, I have been using that api2500 comp from waves on my percussion bus, and let me say that it really adds a shine to the top end.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
WOW!

i get this often. it blows, but i've gotton used to it.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Come on Dholl... we are all friends here... What do the voices tell you to do??
They tell me I should shout in Estin's ear just before he drifts off into sleep.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search