The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Flying Lotus used Reason 3.5 for everything up till now Desktop Synthesizers
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

Flying Lotus used Reason 3.5 for everything up till now

I thought this was a pretty interesting chain of tweets from Flying Lotus, and figured I'd share since I'm sure I'm not the only one around here to wonder about his setup before. Yes, he made Cosmogramma on Reason 3.5. Crazy!

------

From twitter.com/flyinglotus:

"Starting my first day on 'logic pro' today as soon as the new mac pro arrives. Next chapter.

@****tyler ableton sounds like poopie in the studio but its good for live shows

To be real... since we're starting a new era. so far, I did everything on Reason 3.5 (From july heat to pattern+grid world).

@flyinglotus wait, you made Cosmogramma all on Reason 3.5? [he retweeted this]

if the logic thing doesn't work out. .Ill just go back to my old ways. No matter what ill probably always use reason 3 even if its rewired

obviously use my own samples or whatever.. u know how it is .. its the man not the machine

@strangelooptv showed me how to use reason in college.. I dropped out

after reason 3.5 i thought the sequencer got over complicated. I only need a limited amount of tools.

that would be funny if i ended up hating logic though.

i think reason is the worst program out . i just learned it first. it does what i need it to do

they can keep updating reason im probably gonna stick with 3.5, rewire into logic. pow. (until they make a mac version of fl studio)

reason 3.5 won't work on my new mac. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

haha i saw this on twitter as well. very interesting
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Reason 3.5? i thought it went from Reason 3 to Reason 4?
Old 1st September 2011
Methinks he means Reason 2.5.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

but in pics of his studio he's had various things at various times, machinedrum, monome etc.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

uhuh-its a reaction in hip hop to bling style.What did he use for samples in reason?Anything he could get his hands on of course.Like anyone else.....
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by absofacto View Post
its the man not the machine

Has always been that way. Inventiveness and skill are far more influential tools than the actual gear or software you're using.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

this is the wrong place to remind folks, but... the gear is only a small part of the equation!
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
Has always been that way. Inventiveness and skill are far more influential tools than the actual gear or software you're using.
Now Dholl my friend, I don't want to stir any bad blood, but I attempted to extol the virtues of the man rather than the machine in a thread in which we had a bit of an exchange back in early July (neither of us was the OP in this instance), and it went a bit like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
I don't mean to come off as a meany or abrupt and rude, but if you're using the pads from "in the air tonight" as an example, that's really not that difficult to achieve on -many- things ranging all the way down to free software.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Quote:
I never said any particular synth, hardware or software -should- be used, only that they -can- be for a particular sound outlined in an example, is that such a crime?

Neither hardware or software will program the sound for you. That was the lost point of the post.
Your response had quoted the first post of mine I listed above:

Quote:
Yeah, right...let's all forget VCO poly analogues and get those sounds we want from VST's instead.

Sent from my little fluffy cloud in the sky using VST freeware.
I hope this means you have had a turn of heart, or perhaps were just a bit riled up that day!

I really do respect many of your thoughts and opinions on things, and it was truthfully a bit hurting when I began to wonder if you truly thought the machine made the man and not vice versa.

And please don't take this as a prod as it is in no ways designed to be. I am very adamant in my men making machines stance however and I (prior to that) believed you were of the same mind, but then was very confused when that bit above occured.

Perhaps it was just a bad day?
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Gear AND attitude works for me.I can make some pretty slick stuff in the jungle too.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru
yep.... and it shows. I find his music very plastic... maybe the most pedestrian music I've ever heard.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
yep.... and it shows. I find his music very plastic... maybe the most pedestrian music I've ever heard.
Are we listening to the same Flying Lotus?
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru
pedestrian isn't really a bad thing... usually.

I mean ,,, I like library music..
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
maybe the most pedestrian music I've ever heard.
You must live in a very exciting universe.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru
it is .. .but there's no sound in space. The only song we can listen to is this...

Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
it is .. .but there's no sound in space. The only song we can listen to is this...

Sounds like flying lotus colliding with krautrock for kids
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hope this means you have had a turn of heart, or perhaps were just a bit riled up that day!
Hiya mate

No change of heart. I believe in both of the following:

- vintage VCO poly analogues sound unique and can not be satisfyingly replicated by VST's.
- good musicians make great sounds regardless of the tools.

Darkpsy has been my favourite electronic dance music for about 6 years now, and I recognise that a lot of it is made ITB. That still doesn't change the unique uncopyable beauty of vintage VCO polysynths.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hiya mate

No change of heart. I believe in both of the following:

- vintage VCO poly analogues sound unique and can not be satisfyingly replicated by VST's.
- good musicians make great sounds regardless of the tools.

Darkpsy has been my favourite electronic dance music for about 6 years now, and I recognise that a lot of it is made ITB. That still doesn't change the unique uncopyable beauty of vintage VCO polysynths.
It was actually stupid of me to bring it up, because as illlustrated in your above post one does not have to be independent of the other.

You can very easily believe both.

Stupidity on my part!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Although Flying Lotus is not my "kind" of music, I think it sounds very fine indeed. Analogue synths are lovely-sounding and fun to use, and tracking analogue synths through similar effects and channel strips or a desk does yield a thick sound that often requires less "fattening" work when it comes down to it, but this instantaneous aspect to their use has never and will never preclude the possibility of someone with acumen making excellent sounding music on a laptop, especially with creative layering and sampling. The only thing I bemoan about music made exclusively with plugins (other than that in the initial stage of loading up a sound, plugins do appear very "samey" to my untrained ears and require a bit of working over) is that the means of "fattening" is invariably a lot of compression - which, subjectively, hurts my ears and wears me out over extended periods of listening. I think electronic music can benefit from an analogue "stage" in its production - be it appropriate compression on the 2-buss, running softsynths through pres or simply plugging in your Little Phatty and jamming, it can take the "edge" off all of those ones and zeros. But the idea that even something like Reason 3.5 and a pile of records from the $2 bin can't be utilised to make good-sounding music? Context has rendered the notion irrelevant. Use what you can afford, use it often and think about what your end goal for the track is (do I want to emphasise this part? should it slow down during this part? will effects automation make this part more dynamic, how are these parts fitting together?) creatively, not competitively in the "EDM Project Business Model" sense. If I had come to terms with that sooner, I'd be posting music more often, and proudly so, warts and all...
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I imagine if flying lotus made music with interesting hardware pieces it might be even better than it is now.But,i know this would change everything.Im sure it goes through some hw before it gets released.The expensive kind.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
I imagine if flying lotus made music with interesting hardware pieces it might be even better than it is now.But,i know this would change everything.Im sure it goes through some hw before it gets released.The expensive kind.
The former is possible, the latter is probable! But we shouldn't let an improvised blanket get in the way of our picnic.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like the music, but I wish it wasn't so overlimited imploded sounding. It has a lot to do with sidechain compressing everything with kick, which is fine but it is just wall of sound 99% of the time even in soft passages.

Why wouldn't reason be good platform for such a dirty sound Flying Lotus has?
Old 5th July 2012
Here for the gear

Night_Suit is right and in this case its just a really talented guy , great sample sources, unique ideas, lots of Scream distortion and a ton of compression.
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Head

Let me give you the real scoop.

I talked to steven (flylo) himself a week or two ago. He told me to never believe any of the interviews he does. He told me he uses reason rewired into ableton. He said his synth sounds from cosmogramma all came from the microkorg.

Wait, the microkorg?

Yes.

Also, remember that 9th wonder is still on fl studio 6 or something. As long as flylo can make good music the software is irrelevant. Could be using an 8 track recorder and garage band but if the tracks come out like they do its fine by me.
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

whats so strange abouth that???
stop ****ing abouth your mic pre's, and DAWs on this forum all day and start making some music.
Burial made his **** in Sound Forge, Pete Rock made whole his album on sp1200 (with 12 seconds sampling time) Madlib has one ****y sampler boss dr sample sp202, and made like 30 albums last year. Come on guys
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

If in the interview he said he used all analog synths half the people on this board would be praising how great his stuff sounds because it's analog haha.
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
If in the interview he said he used all analog synths half the people on this board would be praising how great his stuff sounds because it's analog haha.
I said something like "you use the slim phatty a lot right?" and more or less he answered that for cosmogramma he only used microkorg.

thats hilarious though.
Old 3rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
I imagine if flying lotus made music with interesting hardware pieces it might be even better than it is now.
why?
Old 3rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loscolorados View Post
why?
Just becawz.....i like somehardware im music.

edit-saxophone and log drum ectect
Old 3rd November 2012
Gear Maniac

Actual good music(or whatever it is for an individual) will sound ok recorded in cassete tape built-in mic and casio toy keys into the line in. The list of poorly produced great albums is huge, some are all time classics that would be heresy to give a different production.

The people obsessed with gear/software and production tends to be the ones producing worse music or no music at all 'cause they have no time for anything other than gear and production research. It is like they are eternally looking for a magic that will turn them a great musician by pressing one button, it won't happen.

A for the matter of the DAW all do the same thing, why bother. It just records, **** in, **** out. Use whatever you like and can afford or that you are confortable with.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search