The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Synths that play well with guitar? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Synths that play well with guitar?

I have a vermona lancet that doesn't really sit well with my bright fender guitar tone. I've tried running it through a parametric and verb, but it sounds completely out of place.

Are there any compact synths (digital or analog, doesn't matter) that work well with a traditional rock band?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

What kind of sounds, everything (bass, strings etc) or something specific?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Zolof the Rock and Roll Destroyer made very nice use of the Korg MS2000

It's little brother, the MicroKorg (which has the same sound engine) is widely used by rock bands and is one of the most popular synths ever made.

God, I sound like a Korg ad.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
I was hoping to use the vermona for pseudo-realistic bass-guitar sounds. Or something like a 303, really punchy and fat.

I might need to pick up another synth for poly spaced out stuff.

I do ambient guitar with minimalist drums.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

If you want a 303 sound the mc 202 or sh 101 are nice options.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
I'm going through a sound transformation right now, and the 303 sound is totally separate from my main project. I have my ambient guitar stuff that I'm wanting to add minimalist drums/bass to. That's the main focus.

I also have an ambient/funky looping thing that I'm working on. That's where the punchy bass comes in.

This is what I normally do:
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru

They all do. Just make sure you set up the patches so that they don't step on each other's band width much. You don't need to even use eqs or spend any money.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
They all do. Just make sure you set up the patches so that they don't step on each other's band width much. You don't need to even use eqs or spend any money.
Patches? The lancet doesn't have patches. Maybe if I move to a different synth, I could have some.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

all i can honestly go on is what i have

new T.O. SEM

Future Retro XS

Waldorf Microwave XT

all sound wonderful with guitar

and your guitar... it'll thank you if you run it through an eventide rack... amp sims.. delays and everything imaginable to bring it in line with the rest of your synthesizers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search