The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I think every one should know what happened between me and Cubase 6... Audio Interfaces
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I think every one should know what happened between me and Cubase 6...

OK here it is... I bought new computer (custom build music machine), pair of new converters and Cubase 6 in the same time as an effort upgrade the studio... Since I have lots of hardware instruments the solid MIDI is very important to me... I could not sync anything to Cubase 6... After 4 beats it would speed up by 10 bpm and stay that way while audio click would stay at 120 the MIDI was going at 130... Got to the point that Steinberg support took over my computer from they office and found nothing wrong with any of the settings... So next 2 weeks I was talking to support of other 2 companies since Steinberg said that it's something wrong with either my computer or my converters... Until my friend showed up and made me install Ableton Live trial which had a perfect MIDI timing... After that any DAW I would try had way better MIDI timing than I ever had using Cubase (even when I thought it was pretty good)... So hence I'm switching... After all the money spent I lost one month of my time to Steinberg that doesn't even let me to return the F***ed up product of theys... Any one who have Cubase problems should know that it's not u, it's them...

PS I don't want to be a downer towards a company (who's product I used for over 10 years) but I think people for who making music is important should know about my experience with Cubase 6...
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

I know a few people that have been plagued with problems on C6 but many of the problems are windows related causing conflicts with C6.

If you really like Cubase I would not give up on it until you have tried everything.

What midi interface are you using ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyelagin View Post
OK here it is... I bought new computer (custom build music machine), pair of new converters and Cubase 6 in the same time as an effort upgrade the studio... Since I have lots of hardware instruments the solid MIDI is very important to me... I could not sync anything to Cubase 6... After 4 beats it would speed up by 10 bpm and stay that way while audio click would stay at 120 the MIDI was going at 130... Got to the point that Steinberg support took over my computer from they office and found nothing wrong with any of the settings... So next 2 weeks I was talking to support of other 2 companies since Steinberg said that it's something wrong with either my computer or my converters... Until my friend showed up and made me install Ableton Live trial which had a perfect MIDI timing... After that any DAW I would try had way better MIDI timing than I ever had using Cubase (even when I thought it was pretty good)... So hence I'm switching... After all the money spent I lost one month of my time to Steinberg that doesn't even let me to return the F***ed up product of theys... Any one who have Cubase problems should know that it's not u, it's them...

PS I don't want to be a downer towards a company (who's product I used for over 10 years) but I think people for who making music is important should know about my experience with Cubase 6...
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Why would anyone like that POS?
Also, if any other DAW has no problem with Windows, but Cubase is "special", then in my book, it's Cubase's fault.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Cubase 6 is freakin awesome, AWESOME!!! and i use with lots out outboard as well.. sorry to hear about your problems.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
I know a few people that have been plagued with problems on C6 but many of the problems are windows related causing conflicts with C6.

If you really like Cubase I would not give up on it until you have tried everything.

What midi interface are you using ?
I tried it with 5 different interfaces 3 of which i borrowed... same exact issue... Also with the Echo Pro12 it would take like 1 minute to create a MIDI track... Sometimes it would crash and complain about Video Converter dll error or something like that... I even swapped the video card out to see if there any RIQ conflicts... Nothing helped... And they support was ****... I had to take 2 days off work to be in the studio that they could log into my computer to poke around (since they are 10 to 5 Mon-Fri or what ever) and still no solution... and every email u send them takes 1 day for them to answer... It's f***ken nightmare!... Meanwhile every other DAW was perfect from 1st go... and in terms of MIDI out was more tight than Cubase 4 and 5...

And I'm not even saying here what all that done to the excitement of getting new DAW, new computer and new converters... Killed any creative flow or desire to work on anything for like another couple weeks... I'm still imotionaly recovering from all of it...

BTW if anyone wants boxed Cubase 6 64bit unlicenced it's yours for $300 including shipping in US... I can't even look at that box...
Old 1st September 2011
That sux, mine has worked prefect sine .1! I did have a small issue with .3, but that has been soolved.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
That sux, mine has worked prefect sine .1! I did have a small issue with .3, but that has been soolved.
Sorry to hear about your troubles... mine has worked well ever since I got everything dialed in correctly. It sounds like some of your driver files have become corrupted... did you by any chance try a new install of C6 on a fresh copy of windows?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles... mine has worked well ever since I got everything dialed in correctly. It sounds like some of your driver files have become corrupted... did you by any chance try a new install of C6 on a fresh copy of windows?
Fresh computer built and configured for music production with 2 terabites of drive space, 16 gigs ram and quad Intell, fresh windows 7 64 bit, fresh Cubase 6 64bit... All of that was never used before by anybody and was purchased in the same day... I even updated Intel drivers on that machine (3 of them where out of date)... trust me I updated and swapped everything i could... i mean it worked perfect with VSTs... That was no problem... But I did not go with 24 in/out converter to just use VSTs... More of that the guys from Steinberg logged in physicaly into my machine and updated everything they could think of and still it did not change a thing... They just gave up... I can see there is prob. compatebilty issue with particular hardware somewhere but why than all other DAWs worked perfect? I mean Abeltone, Studio One, Reaper... All three perfect from first go... Reaper even found my converter and MIDI by itself... WTF?!!!
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyelagin View Post
Fresh computer built and configured for music production with 2 terabites of drive space, 16 gigs ram and quad Intell, fresh windows 7 64 bit, fresh Cubase 6 64bit... All of that was never used before by anybody and was purchased in the same day... I even updated Intel drivers on that machine (3 of them where out of date)... trust me I updated and swapped everything i could... i mean it worked perfect with VSTs... That was no problem... But I did not go with 24 in/out converter to just use VSTs... More of that the guys from Steinberg logged in physicaly into my machine and updated everything they could think of and still it did not change a thing... They just gave up... I can see there is prob. compatebilty issue with particular hardware somewhere but why than all other DAWs worked perfect? I mean Abeltone, Studio One, Reaper... All three perfect from first go... Reaper even found my converter and MIDI by itself... WTF?!!!
Yeah more and more it sounds like hardware incompatibility... sorry to hear it. I went through some of this back when I was using RME Fireface 800 when it first came out. Lots of strange Cubase crashes and instability. Once I switched to Lynx Aurora 16 everything has been great (knock on wood).

As a final last thing if you have the time I would try one more time to do a fresh Windows install and then directly install C6 without updating anything else. I had this problem with my PC when it was set to windows auto-update, it was pulling down updates with CRC errors and causing major system instability issues. I had to roll-back a few times and then even that wouldn't work so I re-installed Windows and turned auto-update off and all was well...
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I've been a Cubase user since SX3...now version 5.

Never upgraded to 6, because they still didn't fix BeatDesigner and how it takes over your screen when you maximize the project window. This issue has been around since V4.

I told myself I will never upgrade again, until they fix this issue

The timing of midi in V5 is solid, though...
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Now something doesn't fit here.

You made very sure to explain you updated EVERYTHING first, but then, when Steinberg employees remotely logged into your computer, they went about updating things? What happened to the first round?

There are a lot of holes here.

I'm not a fan of cubase for my personal workflow tastes, so I'm not trying to somehow defend it, but something seems very fishy overall here.

Perhaps you can help clear things up for me! Lets start with this: what software did Steinberg use to remotely access your PC?

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I am sorry you had a bad experience with Cubase. I find it interesting that you experienced the same problem on 5 different computers. Was that tested with 5 different audio interfaces as well?

Compatibility issues are a constant problem for software developers. Especially where new hardware and operating systems are concerned. I can only make a guess as to why this affected Cubase and not the others. Maybe Cubase uses some sort of function or code that the others don't...or perhaps it's the other way around. I can't really say...and apparently neither can the people at Steinberg.

I would follow up with them and possible the merchant that you purchased Cubase from and try to get your money back. If you have demonstrated that the people at Steinberg could not come up with a fix or explanation of the problem, yet acknowledge that the problem exists, I think you are due a refund.

At any rate, I am happy that you've found software that will work for you on your system.

BTW...you don't have a soundblaster in that thing do you?
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

OP? Where did you go?

Oh, this was fake afterall!

Gotcha!

Old 2nd September 2011
Cubase is garbage, the audio engine is garbage, the midi timing is garbage, and you should only use ableton live or renoise on the pc if you use hardware and want tight timing. Also i think vst software instruments sound dull in cubase and vibrant in renoise.

I used cubase for years, and I always did a side project called toxic coma all in trackers. I used hardware with cubase and software with trackers, and man toxic coma sounded better than my last 4 vac cds 3 which were done with cubase, and one with logic. Battery ruins drums too. Renoise does drums way better than battery. Battery kind ****s up the attacks and transients and tails on my drums, so **** battery.

Renoise is a sampler seq, load in samples and put any sample on any track, any time, its so free compared to the on the rails cubase and logic ableton and sonar format.

I was depressed that my main money making project Velvet Acid Christ sound quality was being bested by my joke band toxic coma that i do as a hobby on the side in sound quality. Not anymore, on the new VAC i did the entire record in renoise, and man its loud, punchy and the drums sound how i want, i am able to write and produce industrial drums the way i like, and could never with cubase and logic with battery, kontakt and halion. I am now able to get that top end crackle spit and air that i had years ago when i ran analog by moving to renoise. In cubase everything sounds dull and flat, 2d and lacking top end freqs. My verb tails and drum transients sound like the analog world again in renoise. In cubase tails cut off and sounded fuzzy.

Cubase is ****. It is one of the best interfaces with the most awful midi timing and horrid sound quality of all the daws. If they made cubase sound like renoise, it would be great. But they have to much crap in the code and i think this is why the audio suffers. to much graphics, to many useless functions.

I hope steinberg reads this ****. I sell music professionally and I am fed up with cubase. I hate that I ever switched to it from my analog set up i had years ago.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
Cubase is garbage, the audio engine is garbage, the midi timing is garbage, and you should only use ableton live or renoise on the pc if you use hardware and want tight timing. Also i think vst software instruments sound dull in cubase and vibrant in renoise.

I used cubase for years, and I always did a side project called toxic coma all in trackers. I used hardware with cubase and software with trackers, and man toxic coma sounded better than my last 4 vac cds 3 which were done with cubase, and one with logic. Battery ruins drums too. Renoise does drums way better than battery. Battery kind ****s up the attacks and transients and tails on my drums, so **** battery.

Renoise is a sampler seq, load in samples and put any sample on any track, any time, its so free compared to the on the rails cubase and logic ableton and sonar format.

I was depressed that my main money making project Velvet Acid Christ sound quality was being bested by my joke band toxic coma that i do as a hobby on the side in sound quality. Not anymore, on the new VAC i did the entire record in renoise, and man its loud, punchy and the drums sound how i want, i am able to write and produce industrial drums the way i like, and could never with cubase and logic with battery, kontakt and halion. I am now able to get that top end crackle spit and air that i had years ago when i ran analog by moving to renoise. In cubase everything sounds dull and flat, 2d and lacking top end freqs. My verb tails and drum transients sound like the analog world again in renoise. In cubase tails cut off and sounded fuzzy.

Cubase is ****. It is one of the best interfaces with the most awful midi timing and horrid sound quality of all the daws. If they made cubase sound like renoise, it would be great. But they have to much crap in the code and i think this is why the audio suffers. to much graphics, to many useless functions.

I hope steinberg reads this ****. I sell music professionally and I am fed up with cubase. I hate that I ever switched to it from my analog set up i had years ago.
YMMV
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

What mobo did you put in
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

What setup were/are you using with Cubase? Which converters, what system specs?

Honestly, I have used many different DAWs, used Cubase in the old Atari days, then Nuendo, then Logic, Abelton Live, ProTools. I just am not hearing such a huge difference between the sound of different DAWs.

What I DO hear is rather large differences between the converters. I did a piano jazz album with a friend and we had 3 levels of recording redundancy into 1) ProTools Digi003, 2) SoundDevices HDR and then loaded into ProTools or Cubase, 3) an old Nagra tape machine .

The Nagra sounded the best. But as for the recording/playback using the DAWs, the Digi converters are pretty horrid is what we found right off of the bat. Talk about 2D? They lacked dimension and the stereo imaging sounded flat as a pancake.

BUT, when we loaded the SoundDevices material into either ProTools or Cubase using my Lynx Aurora 16 converters, WE COULDN'T HEAR ANY DIFFERENCE between the two mixes.

Honestly, what this tells me is that the DAW itself imparts very little onto the sound. YMMV but if it does I'd like to hear more about the how's and why's.
Old 2nd September 2011
With cubase 2, 3, 5. Lynxtwo C, Lynx l22. Fireface 800 and also ksp8 and apogee ad16 ad da.

Still sounds like ass.

compare it to renoise or saw.

cubase sounds like ass. Even with high end audio cards. ASS!

Most people don't know because they never try anything else.

Its very noticeable with drum sounds especially. Like take samples play them in cubase with battery or kontakt, then load them into renoise and play them, and its like Whoa. WTF why does renoise sound 10x better with cymbals, snares and kicks?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
With cubase 2, 3, 5. Lynxtwo C, Lynx l22. Fireface 800 and also ksp8 and apogee ad16 ad da.

Still sounds like ass.

compare it to renoise or saw.

Its very noticeable with drum sounds especially. Like take samples play them in cubase with battery or kontakt, then load them into renoise and play them, and its like Whoa. WTF why does renoise sound 10x better with cymbals, snares and kicks?
I hear what you are saying, but it simply hasn't been my experience.

And I would think that recording a Mason & Hamlin grand piano through Neumann nickel diaphragm mics in ORTF stereo position would reveal if it sounds like ass or not. This was played as I mentioned on a ProTools system and also on C6 on the same DAW setup. Myself and my music partner, a two-time academy award nominee, couldn't tell a difference.

I do have a simple answer to your question: psychoacoustic effect. Are you absolutely sure that the volume levels are being matched between DAW platforms?

OK I gotta ask, is this a Troll?
Old 3rd September 2011
nope it sucks compared to other daws. dark, cubase is dark as is the virus ti is dark.

think what you want here, i'm not going to post in this again, to each their own.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

I have been using Cubase since 1994, It has come a long way since then. I have now been using Cubase 5 for a while and it has been rock solid. I also have friends that use Cubase and have no problems. In the past problems have always been due to some hardware issues or configurations. Unfortunate that you couldn't get it figured out.
I am a sytems admin guy and I will bet you the problem wasn't Cubase.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

I started using Cubase SX3 about 4 years ago, when I got into music production. I also started using Ableton at the time for loops...those were my DAWs, mainly Cubase for the last 4 years.

I obviously have to disagree with you...

Ableton sounds worse than Cubase when it comes to audio quality...and the midi facilities in Ableton are a joke compared to Cubase.

Midi timing, in this day & age, is no problem. Any DAW can sequence midi just fine with rock solid timing...its more about audio latency these days, and how the audio gets to your DAW...whether or not it needs to travel to your DAW before/after you hear it...this makes a huge difference.

I'm so glad i've restricted myself to just 1 DAW to make full productions...after all these years, I really feel like i've mastered Cubase enough to just music and not have any problems with midi/audio.

If only they would fix that damn BeatDesigner window!!!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Disease Factory, if I posted three tracks, one made with Cubase, one made with Ableton, and one made with Renoise, could you tell me which was made with which?

Oh, and just to remind any newcomers to this thread that may not have read it in its entirety,

This problem was fake, and the OP disappeared as soon as the validity was questioned.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

LOL...comes in to bash Cubase 6 for no good reason....dumb. I use 5 and certain VST's don't like other VST's and crash....but there's easy ways around it...or I can just use a different VST.

I also use the original Soundblaster X-Fi. Sounds fine. Creative ASIO drivers.
Old 3rd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
Hey Disease Factory, if I posted three tracks, one made with Cubase, one made with Ableton, and one made with Renoise, could you tell me which was made with which?

Oh, and just to remind any newcomers to this thread that may not have read it in its entirety,

This problem was fake, and the OP disappeared as soon as the validity was questioned.
i don't think so mate.
he's been on GS for years. not one of these 1 post wonders you see spamming..
he last logged in on the 1st sept. you started your detective work on the second. the guy hasnt even read your post yet.

i would face palm you but i like you too much so you can just have one of these

to the op: i had some weird midi trouble going on with my cubase (4.5) support didnt help at all. eventually i found a sync with midi check box in the vst set up menus someplace and that fixed the issue... it wasnt the same problem as yours though
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
i don't think so mate.
he's been on GS for years. not one of these 1 post wonders you see spamming..
he last logged in on the 1st sept. you started your detective work on the second. the guy hasnt even read your post yet.

i would face palm you but i like you too much so you can just have one of these

to the op: i had some weird midi trouble going on with my cubase (4.5) support didnt help at all. eventually i found a sync with midi check box in the vst set up menus someplace and that fixed the issue... it wasnt the same problem as yours though
Well now I feel stupid, I should have checked his last login. Pretty much total fail on my part.

But aside from looking like a complete fool, its ok because that still gives me an oppertunity to ask some questions that could enlighten all of us!

Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
. WTF why does renoise sound 10x better with cymbals, snares and kicks?
Hi,

Can you please define "better" in non-subjective terms?
cheers
Old 3rd September 2011
If there were issues, surely the first port of call would be to revert back to version 5?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search