The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
bad noise when monitoring tracks, power conditioner?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

bad noise when monitoring tracks, power conditioner?

Hi there,

Ok so i have been having problems getting horrible noise through my speakers i think from the computer from my soundcard. After a post on this site i determined i had a ground loop, so i bought a ground loop isolator and put it inbetween my speakers and my soundcard, and that elminated the problem when im not using any outboard gear, however when i monitor and record (mainly my juno 106) the noise is still there, really loud, like a horrible electrically whine.

how can i solve this problem, is a power conditioner the answer, i dont really know anything about them??

any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 1st September 2011
Look here, and do a search next time, please?
Cheers
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

well i did, and that was the previous post i was talking about.....i got the ground loop eliminator to put between my soundcard and my speakers, and that works except for when im monitoring and recording outboard gear, the noise is still really bad and records onto the track???
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmac88 View Post
well i did, and that was the previous post i was talking about.....i got the ground loop eliminator to put between my soundcard and my speakers, and that works except for when im monitoring and recording outboard gear, the noise is still really bad and records onto the track???
are you using the soundcard built in the pc?
they can be very bad.

if you have not tuned the pc you can get noise from other programs interruping the audio.
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmac88 View Post
through where are you monitoring? if through the computer, you might have bypassed the hum/groundloop eliminator, since it sounds to me you have more than one ground loop going on.
try to connect all the power of the gear from one single point (avoid multiple outlets, avoid using extenders of mains power) google "star grounding" and of course do a search on the site - in the DIY section there have been multiple threads about this problem.

if that's still a problem there's something wrong with the grounding from that outlet - it might be that there's a fridge or microwave, or another computer connected to that same mains (could be another outlet, that is tied to the one you use behind the walls)
with a power stabilliser (and RF filter) you may filter the bad crap (RFI) your fridge or computer, or even your neighbour's computer is dumping into the common mains ground. since synths and mixers are electronic beasties, yes, that RFI might make it into the audio path, through the mains. Do NOT connect the mains ground though, it's dangerous, because you'll cut the "escape path" of stray electric fields. (i.o.w. do not lift the ground) Even if grounded these stray electric fields can occur. I had to extra ground a rack because there was some voodoo going on. (the same setup didn't cause any problem in another location)

Try starting with drawing your setup, first the power lines, then the interconnecting cables. you'll be able to find where the problem is, if it's a ground loop. Reorganising the whole shebang proved to be a good thing here. (yes it's a crappy job)

good luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search