The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good analog string synth Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthbuilder View Post
I had a RS-101 last year and I played around with the insides a bit:
That's a nice idea. The RS-101 by itself seems rather crappy (unlike the RS-202, which has a decent chorus). I always loved the vocal filters and chorus in the VP-330, and for a while it seemed to appear on everything I listened to (read: entirely too much synthpop). I tried to model it in software. I think I was fairly successful, but ended up not doing very much with it.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd View Post
I could have sworn I saw a Yamaha GS2 demo where the guy got string machine sounds out of it with its ensemble effect. And the starting material was FM, probably the last source anyone would ever look for string sounds.

I think it's 80% ensemble effect and 20% thin starting sound. Starting with a thick sound will yield a Juno pad and not a string machine.
Some stringers are not terribly thin sounding with or without ensemble. Keeping in mind you may be layering several sounds. The other quirks string synths have are a big factor in the sound (some which are shared by their electronic piano siblings).

The Crumar sampled into the Korg sounds very like a Juno (only better?), the Korg converters are warm sounding but I don't think they thicken the sound. Through Symphonic on an SPX 90 it's sparkle cloud city.
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

I just finished a new piece featuring my RS-505 Paraphonic for all the synth parts. A great, vintage vibe this instrument has!

https://soundcloud.com/ned-bouhalass...e-of-the-giant
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Maniac
How about the Yamaha SK series. They are pretty rad. I have a sk50d and it sounds pretty great.
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

Yep, I have had lots of stringers and the SK50D gets my vote for best string synth. You also get analog monosynth and polysynth sections based on the same Yamaha IGxxxx voice chips as the CS series...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search