The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good analog string synth Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 30th January 2013
Deleted User
Yamaha's SS30 is a nice stringer, i owned one many moons ago. Very rare to find these days. It was also Ultravox's favourite string synth.

Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Yamaha's SS30 is a nice stringer, i owned one many moons ago. Very rare to find these days. It was also Ultravox's favourite string synth.
Yeh..also Dave Formula used one on all the classic Magazine records.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1200 View Post
Polyphony has nothing to do with how it sounds, unless your stacking/unison. And a good chorus, can do wonders just like an ensemble one can.

I guess Im just not as particular with specifications, for getting a good string sound.
There's a difference between a good string sound and a string machine sound. String machines of the late 70s have a certain sound.
Old 30th January 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

elka rapsody = 200/250 bucks mint condition

underappreciated
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear
Crumar Performer - Polysix. Done.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
JX-10 is king of analog strings IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1200 View Post
Don't forget about kawai sx240/210, Roland jx3p, alpha junos, and Obie matrix 1000/6. These are all reasonably priced and will give you way more diverse sounds then a dedicated string machine would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
They don't sound like string machines because ...
A differentiation should be made, true.

You have 'string pads' from an analog synth (ie JX-8P) all very well and good but those pad sounds are ten a penny, you can even get that from older/warm digital too (D-50, SY, JD etc.. in the mix the analog DCO stuff doing pads/strings isn't that far from digital, and the digitals can do so much more interesting pads that I find the later analog pad machines redundant).

Then you have, as the OP asked for, STRING SYNTH not string pads. This is something I think only (some) VCO synths OR dedicated string synths do properly. The Crumar performer for example (Duran's string synth of choice over all the early albums) does that one job, well, esp as said through a phaser.

VCO poly's like the Polysix with Ensemble engaged sound similar to a string synth but with more flexibility (and sadly less poly which for long sustain strings isn't so handy).

These are string synth sounds, along with the similar VCOs and String Synths. The alpha juno, JX-10 etc are not and don't do string synth sounds at all. They do pads that sound 'strings like'. Glorious and beautiful as they can be they do not sit in a mix in the same way as a string synth sound (like the old Jarre stuff)

Old 30th January 2013
VST
Lives for gear

I just inherited an Arp Sting Ensemble IV from my father-in-law. It's a beast but works and sounds great. Now to brush up on my chords.

Am I correct in thinking that it's a Solina with Arp's name on it?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
I just inherited an Arp Sting Ensemble IV from my father-in-law. It's a beast but works and sounds great. Now to brush up on my chords.

Am I correct in thinking that it's a Solina with Arp's name on it?
Yep. It's the same. I forgot the history, but someone else will chime in why some do and some don't actually say Solina.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Guru
Seriously surprised no-one else besides me has mentioned the Crumar Orchestrator aka Multiman S

Makes most other string synths sound like accordians.. and the brass section isn't anything to sneeze at. Actually I love every sound on that thing.. just wish it had attack for the strings..
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

Damn straight- the Crumar Orchestrator/Multiman is the business!

The filter on the brass is superb!
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Seriously surprised no-one else besides me has mentioned the Crumar Orchestrator aka Multiman S
I DID! in post #50....
Old 31st January 2013
my favorites:

Crumar Multiman and Multiman S - for strings but also analog piano
Eminent Solina - classic as you can get
Roland RS-202 - classic Roland i prefer to 505
Roland VP-330 - hifi , sweet strings, plus voco and choir
Korg Polysix - a polysynth but does stringer thing oh so well too
Korg PE2000 - mesmerising choir, soft strings. Lambda's papa.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
I DID! in post #50....
Sorry .. I blew it..
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
Korg P2000 - mesmerising choir, soft strings. Lambda's papa.
A what?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
A what?
Think he means PE2000

Old 31st January 2013

-edited orig post-

its all over Oxygene.. melody in thirds..
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Guru
whew.. thought I was going crazy... like I was taking crazy pills.
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

I never hear anyone mention the Korg EPS-1. Those should have pretty good strings too.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

The way I get past the attack issue on the Multiman strings is to sample a stack into the Korg DSS-1. It sounds super lush through that sweet Korg filter. Does change the sound though, so it doesn't replace the Multiman.

I wonder how hard it would be to mod the Crumar...
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirix View Post
Anybody recommend one? Would like to add one to my collection Haven't much experience with them though!!

Any info would be cool
A cheap, and quite underrated (in my opinion), String Synthesizer is Roland RS-09.

I recently bought one for $290, in Denmark. It have the real synthesizer string sound, that I was after, and it have the great Roland chorus, which can also be used on the audio in. And the output of the RS-09 is stereo.

I was looking for a Roland RS-202 og RS-505, but they are much more expensive, so I jumped on the RS-09, when I got the chance, and have not regretted it one second.

The RS-09 is missing the split function, and dedicated bass sounds, from it's bigger brothers, but the string sound is fantastic, and authentic.

As a bonus, it also have a great organ section, which can be blended with the strings, or used on its own, and with a dedicated output for the organ sound

They are on Ebay all the time, for about $300.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

SPAM: Im selling my Roland RS202 string synth, these are great sounding machines, fully polyphonic (envelope for every note)
Asking £300 im in the UK. Prefer to ship to UK really.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

The RS-09 is great, but it also doesnt sound anything like an RS-505. Its much thinner and colder sounding, a pretty unique sound amongst stringers in fact.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
The RS-09 is great, but it also doesnt sound anything like an RS-505. Its much thinner and colder sounding, a pretty unique sound amongst stringers in fact.
I only know the 505 from youtube, but you are probably right. 505 also have additional Brass settings, which the RS-09 doesn't.

RS-09 plus effects, delay and EH Small Stone. Not my video, but it sounds great.

ROLAND RS-09 - the sound of Oxyene with RS-09 + SMALL STONE - YouTube
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby68 View Post
I only know the 505 form youtube, but you are probably right. 505 also have additional Brass settings, which the RS-09 doesn't.
It's not so much the features..just a different tone.

Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

My favourites are:

Logan/Hohner String Melody II
Korg Lambda
Elka Rhapsody 610

I had a RS-101 last year and I played around with the insides a bit:

More information on that mod with pictures is here:

Roland RS-101 modifications - a set on Flickr

Tony
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Addict

I could have sworn I saw a Yamaha GS2 demo where the guy got string machine sounds out of it with its ensemble effect. And the starting material was FM, probably the last source anyone would ever look for string sounds.

I think it's 80% ensemble effect and 20% thin starting sound. Starting with a thick sound will yield a Juno pad and not a string machine.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd View Post
I could have sworn I saw a Yamaha GS2 demo where the guy got string machine sounds out of it with its ensemble effect. And the starting material was FM, probably the last source anyone would ever look for string sounds.
Yamaha put the same string ensemble chorus circuit in several products: The GS1/GS2, CS-70M, SK series, SS30, various Electone models, etc. The chorus obviously is the most important part, though there are other elements to the "classic" string machine sound (phase-locked octaves, fixed tone filters, paraphonic envelopes).

Also the GS1/GS2 had a somewhat funky feedback loop configuration, so they might be a little better than the DX7 at generating the necessary broadband spectrum.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post
Yamaha put the same string ensemble chorus circuit in several products: The GS1/GS2, CS-70M, SK series, SS30, various Electone models, etc. The chorus obviously is the most important part, though there are other elements to the "classic" string machine sound (phase-locked octaves, fixed tone filters, paraphonic envelopes).
Ah, so that's why the chorus sounded so familiar. I have an old Electone in the family room, a 315D (which apparently was made for the American market). I might as well give it a chance instead of running out and buying an Elkorus or another keyboard (I think I could keep a Roland RS-09 in the closet, but its sound is not exactly the one I have in mind)

Off topic, I see the higher end Electones get chopped and turned into CS-style synthesizers. I doubt it would be possible with mine, though.
Old 4th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
SPAM: Im selling my Roland RS202 string synth, these are great sounding machines, fully polyphonic (envelope for every note)
Asking £300 im in the UK. Prefer to ship to UK really.
oh man,, im kinda on the lookout for a multiman as complement flavor to solina, but 202 is also one of my favorites.. aghh, i'dd be quite tempted if you somewhat were closer to me- alas, for such large items, UK shipping to over here is killer.

anyways, good luck with the sale
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Hi Tom, yer id prefer to keep it within the UK for the moment if possible.
Its quite heavy i think it would about £50-£60 to Europe, but id prefer not to ship it overseas without a flightcase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
oh man,, im kinda on the lookout for a multiman as complement flavor to solina, but 202 is also one of my favorites.. aghh, i'dd be quite tempted if you somewhat were closer to me- alas, for such large items, UK shipping to over here is killer.

anyways, good luck with the sale

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search