The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good analog string synth Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 2nd September 2011
Anything new and analogue in the market? I got hangups like that, ymmv.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I'll add one more stringer to the list that hasn't been mentioned yet - the Yamaha SS-30. It's a bit rare, but I lucked into one listed locally and it really is a nice string machine. Different sound from the SK-20 I listed earlier. It reminds me a bit of the Logan sound, but a bit beefier. Between the detune knob and the ensemble settings there is a good variety of stringy stuff in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
I have been modeling various string ensemble choruses for my upcoming plugin
Oh wow this is excellent news! Literally the best news I have heard all week.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Or, you can just get GForce Virtual String Machine... has most of the big ones plus built-in FX. I couldn't resist...
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Godwin String Concert.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

JX-10 is king of analog strings IMO.
Old 28th January 2013
Kronos, and the new king korg, and jp8000
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

Oberheim!!!!!!!

Sent from my Droid
Old 28th January 2013
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by timprogrock View Post
This is probably not the place to ask this question, but I cannot figure out how to start a new thread.I have a Solina String Ensemble that I have had since the late 70's. I have just recently acquired a Moog Slim Phatty. I have been trying to connect the Solina into the audio in of the S.P., but I get no sound. Am I doing something wrong, or is the Solina just not compatible with the L.P? Thanks for your help.
Do you need to trigger a note on the Slim Phatty to get the audio to go through the filter & vca? I was going to suggest holding a key down with tape, but the Slim Phatty has no keyboard.
Old 28th January 2013
i have a crumar, a multivox 202, and a yamaha sk30 for my vintage string sound. the yamaha is totally freaking awesome, though the string section is very basic.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

RS505 sounds incredible.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

Don't forget about kawai sx240/210, Roland jx3p, alpha junos, and Obie matrix 1000/6. These are all reasonably priced and will give you way more diverse sounds then a dedicated string machine would.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Korg Trident does majestical strings. Similar to Polysix, but with more power & depth.
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

second the guy that said Logan String Melody...
very versatile and relatively cheap.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

I've owned the Solina, Logan, Roland RS09 and Crumar Performer. The solina sounds like a solina, so that's magic. That being said it was heavy and broke pretty fast. I liked the Crumar almost as much as the Solina and it had the benefit of being a little less easy to identify (since the solina is so distinctive- i looked at this as a positive), was a lot lighter, a lot cheaper, and never gave me problems. I don't know what they go for now, but mine was mint for around $350 US. That was seven years ago though.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1200 View Post
Don't forget about kawai sx240/210, Roland jx3p, alpha junos, and Obie matrix 1000/6. These are all reasonably priced and will give you way more diverse sounds then a dedicated string machine would.
But none of those have that "string machine" sound.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
But none of those have that "string machine" sound.
Not sure what you mean by that. The SX240 and Obie do some of the best synthesizer string sounds that Ive heard for cheap analog DCO. Better then the strings in the RS09 I have, IMO.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1200 View Post
Not sure what you mean by that. The SX240 and Obie do some of the best synthesizer string sounds that Ive heard for cheap analog DCO. Better then the strings in the RS09 I have, IMO.
They don't sound like string machines because they don't have full para/polyphony or an ensemble circuit.
Old 29th January 2013

The Korg Lambda is the best string synth I've ever played, by far. The joystick phases between chorus rates and pitch bend, and its all sweet spots. You also have the Korg "choir" sound, some pretty decent "piano" notes that don't sound like a piano but if you make them have a bit of tremolo and a lot of decay can sound super ambient ... I just love the thing to death. It also have enough space on top to put a monosynth. If you get the Korg Lambda and a noodly mono, you have an instant Hawkwind setup!!

Another good one is the Roland 202 string synth. You can get a good bootleg of it, the Multivox 202, for less price too!
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
They don't sound like string machines because they don't have full para/polyphony or an ensemble circuit.
Polyphony has nothing to do with how it sounds, unless your stacking/unison. And a good chorus, can do wonders just like an ensemble one can.

I guess Im just not as particular with specifications, for getting a good string sound.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

I always liked the Crumar Performer and Orchestrator (though I don't think the Orch had any built in ensemble effect, but sounded great), lots of great early cure type stuff, and 70's faux lushness...

but +100 for GForce's VSM, great overlooked instrument.... quality for from mr David Spiers... All their stuff is great.. (and I don't work for them, know them or anything, just use them and am a fan!)
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

A nice string machine chorus is the Spanish ELKORUS unit. Sounds great on many things...and is supposed to get close to the solina chorus with the right settings.

Always fancied the Korg Lambda. And the RS-505, if only for the pretty looks!
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear
I'm going to sell a Rhapsody 610 on ebay soon. The F#s don't work though :(. Still with a Phaser and Reverb it's a great sounding, simple stringer. I owned the Crumar Orchestrator for a while. It was great as well. The filter is awesome. I finally settled on a Polysix.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear
I like string synths too!

I own a Korg Lambda
Eminent Solina
Arp Omni
Arp Quadra

My band mate has a VP-330

The Quadra is obviously king..
The solina has the best tone.
The Korg Lambda let's you layer stuff and is very expressive.
The Omni is like the Solina but with an evil filter.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Actually the Kawai SX240 does have a string ensemble chorus.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

I emulated the Solina ensemble/chorus effect on my Korg SDD-3300
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post
Actually the Kawai SX240 does have a string ensemble chorus.
The SX240 is a nice synth, but it doesn't sound like a string synth in the vein of a solina/crumar/roland paraphonic, etc. It's a different sound- string ensemble chorus or not. That's not the only ingredient.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Good strings and analog? Well the Korg PS-3200. Sorry out of your budget, and very hard to get. Sorry, but someone had to mention it!

Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru
My favorites are..

Crumar Orchestrator
Roland RS-505 Paraphonic
Oberheim OB-8

Always wanted to try a Yamaha SS-30.. even though it doesn't really sound that "stringy"
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Alpha junos ... Brilliant for pads/strings and not too pricey..
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallu View Post
The Korg Lambda is the best string synth I've ever played, by far. The joystick phases between chorus rates and pitch bend, and its all sweet spots. You also have the Korg "choir" sound, some pretty decent "piano" notes that don't sound like a piano but if you make them have a bit of tremolo and a lot of decay can sound super ambient ... I just love the thing to death. It also have enough space on top to put a monosynth. If you get the Korg Lambda and a noodly mono, you have an instant Hawkwind setup!!

Another good one is the Roland 202 string synth. You can get a good bootleg of it, the Multivox 202, for less price too!
I listened to a Lambda demo last night and it sounds fantastic!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search