The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Overdrive for 909 kick. Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru
Overdrive for 909 kick.

What's the "go to" pedal for a good hard bangin 909 house kick?

examples.

Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru

Try cranking up the gain on your desk first.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru
yeah... I know that.. just wondering if there's some cheap ass pedal I'm neglecting..
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, a lot of that is just overdriving the mixer channel. But as far as pedals go, i liked the Ibanez SM-7. It won't suck up your low end like a lot of distortion pedals.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru
Nice!! Thanks!

yeah I'd always overdrive the mixer... because distortion pedals would always thin out the sound .. for example I love the Metal Zone on a 606.. but not a 909. There's some mods for the 909 kick that sound great .. but I have a hunch these guys weren't modding there 909's.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Nope. That sound is classic channel overdrive.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

If you listen to a lot of early Woody McBride, you'll hear it too. He never used a distortion pedal, just cranked the gain on his mixer.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru
hhhmmmmmm... yeah Woody and Frankie are my main reference for the sound I like...

what mixer ya think?
Mackie? Tascam??
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Mackie 1604
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru
Saw that coming.... god dammit.... why WHY do I just refuse my instincts..

I got a Yamaha 16/4 laying around... maybe I should just use that... it cranks..
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

The problem with Mackies is they're so bland sounding. The EQs are crap. I like the old British mixers with their sweet EQs. Plus, the channels overdrive real nicely.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru
True.. I hate Mackie.
I also especially hate Tascam..,. sounds brittle in the same way I hate the Akai sound in the end..

Got better results out of garbage Yamaha and Behringer mixers.

Maybe I should take advantage of my friend's Neotek... but that seems too classy..
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I have the Ibanez SM7 and a can't imagine it works well on a 909 kick, unless you want ultra gabba. heh
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I used the SM7 when doing brutally had Acid stuff.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Mackie
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru

You want a Studiomaster Trilogy! A 166 (=12ch) would be a good overdrive/fat eq outboard box (i.e. run some separates up it, NOT your mix...). Also does pukka deep bass eq, but mainly will give you THAT heavenly club burn on the channel gain...bwww bwww bwww bwww..should be cheap as chips.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

That kick in the Paul Johnson track sounds sweet
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Sorry to revive a several week old thread but I struggled getting what I call 'bouncy' kicks for some time and wanted to share what I learned. Just as crucial to overdriving the desk in these types of kicks is compressing it to death and completely squashing the attack. I'm referring to kicks like the bones track djugel referenced above as well as these:

Attached is a 4/4 pattern of a one shot kick sample I made from my 909 going into an overdriven Boss BX16 mixer. I compressed it to death with an Alesis 3630 compressor and then killed the attack further with an envelope in Sound Forge Audio Studio. Completely squashing the attack is key to these types of kicks.
Attached Files

Kickin.wav (2.46 MB, 2242 views)

Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe it'd be fun to do a sort of parallel distortion.

Pedals do tend to thin out the kick, but maybe get a 100% wet distortion sound and then mix it under a clean version of that kick.

Dunno, just an idea.

-andrews
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru
Man.. reminds me I lost my record of Robert Armani's Dancemania version of "hit hard" ... so much better than the popular version. can't find it digital anywhere..
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
The problem with Mackies is they're so bland sounding. The EQs are crap. I like the old British mixers with their sweet EQs. Plus, the channels overdrive real nicely.
+1 on the British tip. My old Soundcraft piece begs for drive all the time. Plus they are cheap these days for big desks.

heh
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru
Best mixer I ever had was a Soundcraft mixer that came with an old JBL sound system(not powered). Some guy was liquidating them separately ... for about a hundo... should have picked up 10 of them. Ran that ****er into the ground.

****.. I should just buy another cheap Soundcraft. Best mixers I've ever heard. Better than any of the huge beasts I've used/pay for in big studios.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Best mixer I ever had was a Soundcraft mixer that came with an old JBL sound system(not powered). Some guy was liquidating them separately ... for about a hundo... should have picked up 10 of them. Ran that ****er into the ground.

****.. I should just buy another cheap Soundcraft. Best mixers I've ever heard. Better than any of the huge beasts I've used/pay for in big studios.
If you want a mixer, get a Soundcraft Delta DLX, if you want a kick burning device, get a small Studiomaster Trilogy.......
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
Mackie 1604
?? why that? rather unlikely..the mackie has hit the market in 93?

tascam desks was quite dominant in small studios in the early 90´s..

and soundcraft spirits. Studiomaster, D&R and Soundtracks.

I personally preffered my little Ibanez for the job.. and still do.. but needs a recaping now... Fabtastic stuff the early 80´s IBANEZ gear.. nichicon Caps inside !!! Just like in Neotek desks..

Actually when you have access to a neotek desk its rather stupid to dont use it... too classy pfff..
you have a strange idea abut techno music...
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru
Thanks man!! never knew of Studiomaster...
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks man!! never knew of Studiomaster...
The little Trilogy series is awesome for dance music. Think of it as a beautifully burning gainstage and a FAT bottom eq per channel to patch in(to you DAW inserts e.g.) as outboard. Wouldn't run all your music through it, but for those two things its killer! And they come in little 8ch versions...if you find one you won't sell it.....
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_fi View Post
Sorry to revive a several week old thread but I struggled getting what I call 'bouncy' kicks for some time and wanted to share what I learned. Just as crucial to overdriving the desk in these types of kicks is compressing it to death and completely squashing the attack. I'm referring to kicks like the bones track djugel referenced above as well as these:

Attached is a 4/4 pattern of a one shot kick sample I made from my 909 going into an overdriven Boss BX16 mixer. I compressed it to death with an Alesis 3630 compressor and then killed the attack further with an envelope in Sound Forge Audio Studio. Completely squashing the attack is key to these types of kicks.
you really compressed it to dead and you probably havent used a real 909 when i see how small and whimpy this so called kick is sounding?

in your demo tracks you only hear channel overdrive and compression was maybe applied to the sum maybe even only at the mastering but not compressed to death actually otherwise the tracks would sound dead..

But why you are at it and are all so much into "parallel compression this days".. there is also a thing called parallel distortion.

The Sher,an filterbank was quite popular for this in the later 90´s in the eralier the good ol roland space echo... and theese days logic distortion plugs are not too bad for that when you know what you are doing.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
tascam desks was quite dominant in small studios in the early 90´s..
except for the 424 and it's garbage charm.. I never liked the sound of Tascam .. it wears on me like the sound of Akai samplers... punchie yet brittle... I have what's called a "tin ear"
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
except for the 424 and it's garbage charm.. I never liked the sound of Tascam .. it wears on me like the sound of Akai samplers... punchie yet brittle... I have what's called a "tin ear"
ever used a tascam M600 console? or the smaller brothers M520 or below?

And not as beefy and quite noisy but also quite sweet sounding the M3500?

After that the 80´s was over and the run for always cheaper desks was opened.. YOu cant take any cheap desks form the 90´s into consideration..they are all not good enough really.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search