The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
September 2011 New Gear Thread Desktop Synthesizers
Old 1st September 2011
September 2011 New Gear Thread

You know what to do!

I'll go first, just got me an open box Apogee Duet 2 for $500 from AMS, should be here next week. Might also get Komplete 7 if I can find a good deal on it now that Komplete 8 is officially out.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I LOVE Punch! Its my main source of drums now.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
I LOVE Punch! Its my main source of drums now.
Good to hear, I've been looking for a drum synth for ages.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Just ordered a Moog Voyager, should be here in a week or so!
Old 1st September 2011
Focal CMS40 , I`ll have them soon in my studio, hope they sound good (I need them as second reference and as a location recording help)
Old 2nd September 2011
Got delivered yesterday. Just got to work out how I'm gonna get it out the garage and upstairs in my bedroom studio. Think the king size bed is gonna have to go ;O0

Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Got this little beast coming as a preamp for my Rhodes:

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

606 is on loan for now

Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

my UAD QUAD satellite arrived today (paid for it last month though)

with vouchers, monthly specials and coupons I managed to snag the following:

EMT 250
RE 201
Massive Passive
Harrison EQ
SPL Vitalizer
Moog Filter

for a grand total of ....................$173 heh. Full retail would have been just under $1500 bucks !!!
Got the Fatso before the end of last month for about $100 too.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
my UAD QUAD satellite arrived today (paid for it last month though)

with vouchers, monthly specials and coupons I managed to snag the following:

EMT 250
RE 201
Massive Passive
Harrison EQ
SPL Vitalizer
Moog Filter

for a grand total of ....................$173 heh. Full retail would have been just under $1500 bucks !!!
Got the Fatso before the end of last month for about $100 too.
Wow, looks like a great deal!

I am actually tempted but I am concerned about the Firewire bus and whether you can use all 4 cores if you already use a firewire interface, firewire HD, etc.. on a MacBook Pro.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by michenal View Post
Wow, looks like a great deal!

I am actually tempted but I am concerned about the Firewire bus and whether you can use all 4 cores if you already use a firewire interface, firewire HD, etc.. on a MacBook Pro.
Haven't tested it extensively with my laptop yet, but I did notice that the coreduo 2.2s can only use it with FW400 speeds. On my desktop it seemed fine today though, and I run out of that to a fireface 800 linked to a HEDD and SSLs. Email UAD though I guess and ask them, I am but a foolish musician
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Powercore Compact + Virus

Powercore Compact plus Virus plugin for less than 200 dollars.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

guy on top. I've only spent a few hours with it so far, but it is very odd to program, I've been ending up in many unexpected places. sounds beautiful though, demos I heard on the web beforehand didn't really do it justice. I guess mainly because, like most synths, the presets are mostly bland...
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow September is off to a BANG!!!!! SOme nice gear here. Jealous of the Dark Time/ Dark Energy. Looks like fun.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by michenal View Post
Why would you think this?

Firewire is just an I/O port. It should make no difference whatsoever to the number of cores you can use.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepanic View Post
Prophet VS + Matrix 12. That's gotta be pad heaven, man. Nice.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepanic View Post

guy on top. I've only spent a few hours with it so far, but it is very odd to program, I've been ending up in many unexpected places. sounds beautiful though, demos I heard on the web beforehand didn't really do it justice. I guess mainly because, like most synths, the presets are mostly bland...
Nice, really want to get myself a Prophet VS, always loved alot of the demos out there on the net!

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Sonnox Enhance Bundle

2 x Studer Balancing Cards
Old 4th September 2011
Oli
Lives for gear

Finished building a 20 port MIDI interface. This is 4 x MIDIbox/Ploytec GM5. I have another 20 port interface in the making. I want to have full 2 way MIDI bandwidth per instrument, and no more re-plugging of MIDI cables, and reconfiguring my software.

So far the build has been OK. Hardware all seems to work first time. Maybe a driver issue though. It doesn't play nicely with MIDIOx (sometimes some modules are not shown). Works fine with Sonar though. Also, seems that the ports are not always enumerated in the same order. Don't know if that is an issue with the USB hub which I've used to connect all four GM5 modules. I considered that each module may initialise in a different order, each time they turn on. I may have to do a work around for this. Early days though. Just finished initial tests a few minutes ago.

More goodies to come ...

P.S. VS + M12 = me jealous
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Finished building a 20 port MIDI interface. This is 4 x MIDIbox/Ploytec GM5. I have another 20 port interface in the making. I want to have full 2 way MIDI bandwidth per instrument, and no more re-plugging of MIDI cables, and reconfiguring my software.

So far the build has been OK. Hardware all seems to work first time. Maybe a driver issue though. It doesn't play nicely with MIDIOx (sometimes some modules are not shown). Works fine with Sonar though. Also, seems that the ports are not always enumerated in the same order. Don't know if that is an issue with the USB hub which I've used to connect all four GM5 modules. I considered that each module may initialise in a different order, each time they turn on. I may have to do a work around for this. Early days though. Just finished initial tests a few minutes ago.
Looks great! I had a vague plan to make a huge MIDI patchbay (8 in 40 out) in a 3U box but ended up buying a smaller one.
Old 4th September 2011
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Looks great! I had a vague plan to make a huge MIDI patchbay (8 in 40 out) in a 3U box but ended up buying a smaller one.
Thanks man. It's actually a bit rough. I ran out of patience. I originally planned to use decals for the front panel (that's the reason for the white paint) but can't be bothered now. The drilling is not so precise either.

I want to have a whole port pair per instrument. Some instruments like the G2 can use 5 channels on one port. My NM1 will use 2 ports (though I may run the editor from a separate machine/interface). Sometimes things work best with all instruments set to channel 1, like when dumping MIDI files found online. I think it's going to be more convenient for me. I thought about buying commercial products, but nothing can give me 20 input ports, and 20 output ports, for any price. This was very cheap for me too. I was given some spare rack cases from my old job.

I rather got sick of re-wiring MIDI interfaces, and particularly got sick of changing MIDI channels on the gear, and in the DAW tracks to suit each different configuration. I hope to have a template in a DAW that will work for most cases for me. Probably will still need an audio patch bay though. I have 32 ins/32 outs, but it's not quite enough.

I also thought about arrangements with merge or routing boxes, but just use my DAW for that. The timing still seems fine to me. I think I'm not as picky as some though. It's all music after all, and the worst timing (expression?) in the system is from my own playing.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I got a Technotronic- Pump up the Jam 12" for £1 in a charity shop.. thats going to be about as extravagant im going to be this month
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Thanks man. It's actually a bit rough. I ran out of patience. I originally planned to use decals for the front panel (that's the reason for the white paint) but can't be bothered now. The drilling is not so precise either.

I want to have a whole port pair per instrument. Some instruments like the G2 can use 5 channels on one port. My NM1 will use 2 ports (though I may run the editor from a separate machine/interface). Sometimes things work best with all instruments set to channel 1, like when dumping MIDI files found online. I think it's going to be more convenient for me. I thought about buying commercial products, but nothing can give me 20 input ports, and 20 output ports, for any price. This was very cheap for me too. I was given some spare rack cases from my old job.

I rather got sick of re-wiring MIDI interfaces, and particularly got sick of changing MIDI channels on the gear, and in the DAW tracks to suit each different configuration. I hope to have a template in a DAW that will work for most cases for me. Probably will still need an audio patch bay though. I have 32 ins/32 outs, but it's not quite enough.

I also thought about arrangements with merge or routing boxes, but just use my DAW for that. The timing still seems fine to me. I think I'm not as picky as some though. It's all music after all, and the worst timing (expression?) in the system is from my own playing.
Well that's what I've got now, smallish (9 out) patchbay with a load of thru boxes hanging off it. I've got things like my samplers on dedicated MIDI ports but synths are sharing ports so it means changing the MIDI channels on the synths and the potential for a confusing set-up. Definitely needed a patchbay though as I've got an Atari and a PC and I wanted it all usable without the computers being on. I'm going to build a few more switch boxes for routing the synth MIDI outs back to a merge box which feeds into the patchbay then computer. 1-in, 1-out per synth is a much neater way to do it though.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've really slutted it and gone for this baby:

it's intended to be the partner to my Casio SA-45. Rock on!

what?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Sticks View Post
Got delivered yesterday. Just got to work out how I'm gonna get it out the garage and upstairs in my bedroom studio. Think the king size bed is gonna have to go ;O0

What is that?

Sent from my Droid using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by initself View Post
What is that?
A real man analogue desk (mixer), a soundtracs solitare. that sp12 is probably there to show its scale.

I'm freekin jealous, but the 'honeymoon' with my H3000 isn't over yet.

In the interests of this thread, nothing for me this month (yet).
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Oto biscuit.

christ on a cracker this is a great box.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

one of these for playing live :

cheap as! 2.4ghz 17inch , 320gb drive . dual firewire and express card for interfaces

loved it so much i got this also :

2011 mini server quad i7 2.0 . Quick , tiny and quiet . This handles everything I can throw at .

now trying to figure out how to integrate the pc occasionally to run plug ins that are not on the mac

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search