The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
September 2011 New Gear Thread Desktop Synthesizers
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Big spender that I am..

Surprisingly good sound quality for something so cheap. Although the right channel is a hair louder than the left But it's quick and easy to fix in an audio editor.
It's a little plasticky, but for occasional use (gathering samples for later manipulation), it's good for what it costs.
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Addict

Sold my Roland MC80 and bought an Elektron Octatrack!! Should be here from Sweetwater tomorrow.

Been looking everywhere for a Roland V Synth XT!! Keep missing ones in good shape for @ $1000! Can't see spending more than $1100 on one when I've seen a half dozen go for @ or under $1000. Feel in love with a colleague's and have to have one!!
Old 27th September 2011
ok.... this month UA got my money, AGAIN
ATR-102 and the SSL E-series channel strip
you can find them amog my other UA plugs....

Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Finally got my Oberkorn today!

Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohack View Post
Crap, I did the same thing, only last night. This has been a big month for me gear purchase-wise. I think I need to seek counselling. My Ebbe und Flut arrives yesterday afternoon, which already broke the bank, and what do I do? In true gearslut fashion, I go out and order an Octatrack before I have finished racking the Ebbe und Flut up. It just hit me as I was staring at the empty box and packing material strewn about the floor, holding my new purchase in my hands. External gear, needs an external hardware sequencer for maximum knob-tweaking fun. (There is some irony in the fact that the although the Ebbe und Flut inspired me to purchase the Octatrack, the Ebbe und Flut is not even MIDI controllable.) Now I am just waiting around for another great idea to hit me. Where am I going to get the $$ to pay for this. I think I may have a problem.
Yes, I had a hard time initially figuring out the OT. Spent year or so weighing up a machinedrum, finally decided to get one as a drum machine and mainly an XoX Midi sequencer. Then, it struck me; the reason I wanted an MD over a Monomachine was Bassdrums done right (there are no samples that really hit it on the head for me)... And all this time I have an amazing drum machine synthesiser in the Virus's multi mode. I used the multi mode with the MPC all the time, but never for drums....funny how you can overlook something so simple....

anyway, the Octatrack does everything the machinedrum's MIDI sequencer can do but better, and everything the UW side can do but with the benefit of USB transfer and unlimited sample cache... Add in the monomachine MIDI arpeggios and I suddenly got it, or at least figured out how it could be the centre of a computerless workflow.

So, there are 8 additional channels of Virus Goodness, for use as a drum synth and dub techno/ambient monster, along with the combination of Virus LFOs and octatrack LFOs on every track - talk about movement! I see the Virus TI as the perfect OT expansion board, possibly even better than the Monomachine - no worries about polyphony ( especially when 4 of those tracks are monophonic drum) and with that glassy European digi-sheen that I like so much....

The inputs will be AB from the Virus, and CD from the Eventide. I plan on keeping the Motif relatively separate from this setup as I create an entirely different sound on that, but at the least it can join the guitar on the Eclipse inputs; so the Eventide is a Guitar DI and FX, and a synth compressor/Pre..... All of which is ready to realtime sample and chop up at any point, and all without stopping the music, a kind of magical ideas builder....

As I said, even though I'm aware of the OT learning curve, I see great things in the future with this combo! Just thinking about the workflow inspires me for great ideas.
Old 27th September 2011

randomly came in today from Apogee!
Old 27th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone View Post
for me)... And all this time I have an amazing drum machine synthesiser in the Virus's multi mode. I used the multi mode with the MPC all the time, but never for drums....funny how you can overlook something so simple....

So, there are 8 additional channels of Virus Goodness, for use as a drum synth and dub techno/ambient monster, along with the combination of Virus LFOs and octatrack LFOs on every track - talk about movement! I see the Virus TI as the perfect OT expansion board, possibly even better than the Monomachine - no worries about polyphony ( especially when 4 of those tracks are monophonic drum) and with that glassy European digi-sheen that I like so much....

The inputs will be AB from the Virus, and CD from the Eventide. I plan on keeping the Motif relatively separate from this setup as I create an entirely different sound on that, but at the least it can join the guitar on the Eclipse inputs; so the Eventide is a Guitar DI and FX, and a synth compressor/Pre..... All of which is ready to realtime sample and chop up at any point, and all without stopping the music, a kind of magical ideas builder....

As I said, even though I'm aware of the OT learning curve, I see great things in the future with this combo! Just thinking about the workflow inspires me for great ideas.
Oh snap! I never thought of using the Virus in multimode as a drum synth either. That is genius. I have a Virus and an Eclipse, and a couple of other external synths I could patch in to the mix. Can you split the stereo input pairs on the OT so they come in to separate tracks? i.e. Input C to one track. Input D to another? I'm printing off the manual tonight. Mine arrives in 2 days. I need to be ready.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't see why not, after all there are plenty of folks running four mono synths into their OTs, but I haven't checked specifically because I only need the two stereo pairs.

With the oscillator options, the Virus can go places even the might of the MD can't: imagine graintable or wavetable oscillator drums, with LFOs modulating wavetable position, reverb, pitch, decay, even themselves! It's a whole new area of Virus synthesis that I have to explore.... All this, and the mighty p-locks which I haven't even factored in yet...

You could, for example, create whole Virus drum sequences ready for resampling, and my OT arrives tomorrow; one of my first jobs is to create whole libraries of dubby sample sounds to keep in reserve for the sample libraries... I'm like a kid in a sweet shop going round the house looking for interesting new sound sources.

The final bonus for me is that, even though the computer could remain switched off for the entire sessions, it's there in the background. There's a USB cable out the back of the OT, the Virus TI and the Motif XS... So all I need to do is turn the computer on and I have instant librarians for all 3 instruments with recall, the Virus available as a plugin for my ITB stuff, and the Motif XS as master controller. I know there's often a world of difference between paper specs and real use, but after reading the manual over and over I can't help but be excited about this as a genuinely useful studio tool.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post

randomly came in today from Apogee!
And how does it sound? I've got a Fireface UC and thinking about moving over to this one...
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear
I'm sort of a lurker but I'm excited about my recent grabs. I sold my very first synth which I purchased new years ago, the Alesis QS 8.1. With that cash ($400) I was able to get:

Ensoniq ASR-10 maxed out with 16 megs of ram, SCSI, SKB case, output expander, manuals, discs - picked up a zip drive at the good will.

Ensoniq TS-12 with scsi (needed a replacement key and keyboard input board).

Korg Polysix that needed $7 in parts from radio shack and a good cleaning of the key contacts.

Three for the price of one! That made up for how much I've resented the QS8.1 for the last 10 years. Now I need to sell stuff to make room - and the hunt will continue...
Old 28th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
And how does it sound? I've got a Fireface UC and thinking about moving over to this one...
So far I've only had time to check out the headphone output and woah it sounds way good. Noticeable difference from my One which I always felt was pretty even with my first FW Duet.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

And now this off of CL.

I gotta fix the Red Goo issue, but for $250, i'm not complaining!
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
And now this off of CL.

I gotta fix the Red Goo issue, but for $250, i'm not complaining!
Congrats

One of my fav Rolands.

You might have already seen it, but this might be handy on the issue you have.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah i saw that. I took a look about this before i bought it to make sure it wasn't something horrendous. Luckily it isn't.
Old 28th September 2011
Just ordered one of these, need more rack space

Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
Just ordered one of these, need more rack space

Where did u order this mate?
Old 28th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointsource View Post
Where did u order this mate?
Directly from Argosy... it's the 9823 and has 84 RUs... I'm going to fill it up , almost completely. 8 RUs will be left heh

Oh yeah BTW, I also ordered all these today:

1 API 2500
2 Rupert Neve 5033
1 BAE 11 Module Rack
1 API 500 VPR 10er (wanted another BAE, but this one is for free when buying more than 8 new modules, sooo ... )
1 A Designs EM-PEQ
2 Chandler Germanium Comp
2 Chandler Little Devil EQ
2 Great River 32EQ
2 Purple Audio LilPEQr
2 LaChapell 503
1 Little Labs VOG
1 SSL X-Desk
1 SSL X-Panda
1 Bricasti System 1
8 Alesis 3630 or 3632, or DBX 266XS (3630 are not available anymore in Switzerland, 3632 not yet and no date confirmed ) - these are just for the sidechain pumping effect

plus 16 Mogami snakes for the SSL mixers

Damn, can't wait, I'm drooling, can't wait for analog mixing, double droooool

Maybe I'll start a separate thread for my studio build/upgrade...
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Directly from Argosy... it's the 9823 and has 84 RUs... I'm going to fill it up , almost completely. 8 RUs will be left heh

1 API 2500
2 Rupert Neve 5033
1 BAE 11 Module Rack
1 API 500 VPR 10er (wanted another BAE, but this one is for free when buying more than 8 new modules, sooo ... )
1 A Designs EM-PEQ
2 Great River 32EQ
2 Purple Audio LilPEQr
2 LaChapell 503
1 Little Labs VOG
1 SSL X-Desk
1 SSL X-Panda
1 Bricasti System 1
8 Alesis 3630 or 3632, or DBX 266XS (3630 are not available anymore in Switzerland, 3632 not yet and no date confirmed ) - these are just for the sidechain pumping effect

Beautiful rack, i saved it here for future reference.

Congrats on the new gear, maybe someday i'll be able to afford a monster wall of modular madness.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Always wanted to try an E-MU XL-1 rack for the hell of it but didn't want to pay extra shipping and customs on top just in case I ended up flipping it.

One finally came up in my city last night. $100, minty, no shipping, no customs which is always nice. Sounds fun. Like the Superbeat and easy MIDI routing. For a rack synth it's surprisingly intuitive to use right from the panel.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

double droooool
Your secret...

TELZ IT TO ME.
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
I recently got the Duet 2. Sounds about even on output A/D with my FF800 through PMC TB2Sa's and Digi RM1's (same as the DB1a) in my room. I do have some room modes that need more treatment though so there might be a subtle difference I'm missing. I prefer the RME mic preamps to the Duet, though I rarely use them. I do sometimes use the Duet 2 preamps for mobile recording (which is why I got it) and they are fine, but not great. I mostly use 500 series preamps with both though.

-D
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

I got Hollow Sun Oscillosine
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not much really. Ordered one of these. I had racked patch bays in the past. I can do without the long cable runs. Plus I'm on a tight budget. heh

Old 29th September 2011
Quote:

1 API 2500
2 Rupert Neve 5033
1 BAE 11 Module Rack
1 A Designs EM-PEQ
2 Great River 32EQ
2 Purple Audio LilPEQr
2 LaChapell 503
1 Little Labs VOG
1 SSL X-Desk
1 SSL X-Panda
1 Bricasti System 1

some good choices there. you won't be disappointed!
don't do the DBX266XL !! - instead go for a pair of 160a, the 266XL is utterly useless, and the 160a will shine on percussion and drums too (apart from sidechaining the **** out of them)
160A Compressor/Limiter :: dbx® Professional Products

yeah a thread about that would be cool
Old 29th September 2011
I heard about the DBX 266XL
But it'd be the DBX 266XS and that only if the 3632 is not available soon enough. My dealer confirmed just today, that they should arrive end of October. I truely hope this is going to happen
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

New DELL XPS L702X for me this month!

Old 29th September 2011
Quote:
I heard about the DBX 266XL
But it'd be the DBX 266XS and that only if the 3632 is not available soon enough. My dealer confirmed just today, that they should arrive end of October. I truely hope this is going to happen
Ah, please excuse me, I thought it was a typo.
I'd still go for the old 160a myself, it sounds good, though that new DBX is cheaper than dirt. (which makes me suspicious, since it looks like an 266xl with new faceplate heh)
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijome07 View Post
Not much really. Ordered one of these. I had racked patch bays in the past. I can do without the long cable runs. Plus I'm on a tight budget. heh

It's funny how it says "Designed and Developed in USA - MADE IN CHINA" LOL

Same thing with my Impact Twin... MADE IN THAILAND

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search