The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Various uses for side-chaining? Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Various uses for side-chaining?

Howdy,

So I finally made a workable compression side-chain today, woohoo! So I'm curious, outside of the ol' bassline-kick drum sidechain, what are some other uses you guys have discovered for side-chaining?

Also, is it ever used for processing outside of compression?

Thanks!
Old 1st September 2011
The standard pumping pad sound is cool sometimes, as is putting it after your reverb or other effect chains, like maybe after an amp sim. Experiment, and not just with a 4/4 pattern on the kick.

Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

i sidechain my toaster to my kettle so that my tea and my toast is ready at the same time.

also, you can get some cool shuffle and syncopation effects by combining a heavy compressor and a gate on the same instrument using different sidechain sources for each.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

You could make a bar of hi-hat (or whatever percussion) hits on 16th notes. Slap on a side-chain compressor and set the side-chain source to a rhythmic loop of some kind (maybe a bongo loop from a sample library). Mute the loop so you only hear how it affects the hi-hat pattern. This can quickly introduce a neat hi-hat rhythm and you can cycle through different rhythmic loops until you find one you like.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

This post was rude and only slightly related to the topic, thus it has no value or place.

Moreever, I am a hyprocrit for constantly preaching kindness but turning around and insulting the OP needlessly so I have to also openly apologize for that.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd
If I may ask, how many times did you try and fail before your first success at the advent of this thread?

Please don't say more than once.

I think some find the release part of the sidechain effect a little tricky to get "just right" at first.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
If I may ask, how many times did you try and fail before your first success at the advent of this thread?

Please don't say more than once.

Sry man I wasn't born an audio producer, but I probably can still make better music than you
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

It's good for getting waylayed kittens out of guttering.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
Sry man I wasn't born an audio producer, but I probably can still make better music than you
I'm sure you can, and my life would be enriched by hearing it.

And I wasn't born a producer either, but the first time I attempted to sidechine a piece of audio to another piece of audio I was 100% successful.

And again, I am almost 100% certain your music is in every way better than mine, I wont even begin to argue that. In fact, every piece of music I've ever heard is better than mine! But I would love to listen to it!

Your music that is!

Thanks friend!!

Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Use your vox to key/sidechain your pads (slightly)...they"ll sit better.
Old 2nd September 2011
I have been ducking my delay with a compressor.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

I hate to sound like a nebula dude hijacking a thread, but REAPER's parameter modulation takes side chaining to a whole 'nother level.

Possible weird uses:
link the 'cents' parameter of a pitch shifter to follow track volume.
Have the size of a reverb on a pad change based on the hi hat. Yes, the 'size' parameter, not just the level.

Endless weird applications. Many practical ones too.

Anyway, getting OT I guess. Lemme see if I can contribute to the original question.

Mult your guitar bus to contain frequencies that conflict with vocal and side chain compress to vox level. Or, if you have vst3 of waves c6 you won't have to mult.

Um, snare to overheads. Compress to pull snare out of em, expand to accentuate.

I use a long distacne room mic in omni for drums. Sometimes a drum just sounds weird in it. Usually it's the low tom. Answer? Sidecain that Mofo to pull out the low tom from the room.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
I'm sure you can, and my life would be enriched by hearing it.

And I wasn't born a producer either, but the first time I attempted to sidechine a piece of audio to another piece of audio I was 100% successful.

And again, I am almost 100% certain your music is in every way better than mine, I wont even begin to argue that. In fact, every piece of music I've ever heard is better than mine! But I would love to listen to it!

Your music that is!

Thanks friend!!

Seriously bro, no hard feelings. I've been at this for a while and was slow to start doing these "advanced" techniques so I got defensive and all.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

BEST use of side chaining is where this kid on youtube pretty much nails "How soon is now" guitar riff, which proves that Johnny Marr 4-fender-twin-tremolo myth was total bull****..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search