The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
reaper or studio one Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6th September 2011
Oli
Lives for gear

Another thing you could do with Music-X was transpose an entire sequence loop from within a master sequence. You could add incidental messages, such as automation, which would act on the looped sequence, but could be applied in a linear sequencing fashion, for track progression, or creating movements. Nested sequencing was really handy at times, and a very quick and intuitive way to arrange a track. Good stuff.

There was a PC version of Music-X, but it was never finished. It was reported to work in a limited fashion, but I doubt it would be worth bothering with. The programmer just decided there was too much competition, and not enough chance of him supporting his endeavour. Pity. Could have been an interesting alternative.

@CoolColJ; do you find mulabs to be a good replacement for Music-X?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Another thing you could do with Music-X was transpose an entire sequence loop from within a master sequence. You could add incidental messages, such as automation, which would act on the looped sequence, but could be applied in a linear sequencing fashion, for track progression, or creating movements. Nested sequencing was really handy at times, and a very quick and intuitive way to arrange a track. Good stuff.

There was a PC version of Music-X, but it was never finished. It was reported to work in a limited fashion, but I doubt it would be worth bothering with. The programmer just decided there was too much competition, and not enough chance of him supporting his endeavour. Pity. Could have been an interesting alternative.

@CoolColJ; do you find mulabs to be a good replacement for Music-X?
Yes, I think it will be. It even has a built in sample player, and other synths. Good quality too.
Even the VST and midi rack system routing in the edit button menu is modular!
Rewire support. Subtrack folder system

MU.LAB Docs

It looks simple and clutter free from the surface, but it's plenty flexible and powerful in the real meat of it.
Easy to install and portable - unzip into folder! On PC or Mac.

I'm waiting on v4, where multicore support will make it's appearance among other things. The dev is very active, and community is decent too.
Off course not like Reaper, where the main dev/coder being a Millionaire, who doesn't really need the money certainly helps

Reaper is better for audio work though, being a Pro Tools like app, but you can use rewire to or from other apps to fill in the gaps as needed
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

My little test with Mulab 3 Free

A little Chill Out test track I did within an hour of trying it

MuLab 3 Free - Test - Chill Out electronic track - YouTube

100% in the box
Mu-Synth, along with Omnisphere.

Plus a load of plugins - free Echomania tape echo plugin on Omnisphere.
Nebula 3 Free with R2R demo analog tape on the master bus

I used the initial screen as a scratch pad doing looped sequences, and then recorded a linear Omnisphere EP part.
Then created a new composition screen and arranged the track using the sequences from the scratch pad in the sequence pool

Arranging a track like this is very nice, and lot better than the usual linear based DAW that is so common
Yeah it's a bit clunky in some areas, and not as feature packed, but that also makes it easy to get into. Not exactly like Music X on the Amiga, but it's the closest in spirit on the PC.

CPU load peaked at around 35-40% on my i7 At 4ghz
Looking foward to MuLab 4 - need multicore and more stuff!
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
had to check out studio one

the reviews @ sweetwater read like they written by anyone but an actual user

but the most incredulous thing.. the reason i had to post and ask if were actually true... is the ONLY difference between the Pro version which costs twice as much as the Artist version the fact that the Pro version can run 3rd party VSTs... and with the artist version.. your stuck with the absolutely subpar **** they include with it?... if this is true... its reason enough to never do more than glance at anything PreSonus's name is on

Artist does not host any third party VSTs except EzDrummer and Guitar-rig, both of which come with artist as "lite" versions.

With pro you get mastering features, 3rd party vst support, and a few more plugins from presonus. The presonus plugins are just as good as any standard plugins I have encountered with other DAWs.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

They are both very good products, but personally, I find Studio One Pro much better. Suits my needs and I love the workflow. Can't wait for v2 to come in matter of 2-3 months.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search