The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Whose drums do you sample? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Whose drums do you sample?

Lately, I've been going to Deadmau and Wolfgang Gartner to get some solid electonic/pop style drums. Both of these guys leave their drums hanging out in the open, so it's just too easy to grab 'em and start creating.

What I like to do is chop up all the clean 2-4 bar breaks on my MPC, and combine all the best 1-hits on a single program (kit) to mix and match. So then I can use the kick from one song with a snare from another... And some hats from yet another song to make a full drum sequence based on that producer's signature style. Yes, its biting... But it creates a good starting point to make a new track.

I realize the best answer is to just create your own sounds... which I also do. But let's be real. Sampling records that are already mixed can be a great sourcw of inspiration.

So, who do you sample?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru
Cabaret Voltaire
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Cabaret Voltaire
Oh yeaaaah. First song I ever recorded just looped the kick pattern from the intro to "James Brown".
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I definitely dont sample drums from anything where it was mastered with clipping - which is pretty much any album made in the last 10 years.

Once the initial transient is lost by overlimiting and clipping in mixing and mastering, it cannot ever be brought back again. If its then subjected to further compression in your own mix, the result is an "overcooked" sound.

I much prefer to sample from albums made in the 1970s and 1980s, where the overall level is lower and the only compression happening is light tape saturation. You can then take one of these samples and hammer it with processing without it getting overcooked, or layer it with other sounds if you want to increase length, girth, and overall pleasure. heh
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

No ones, but I wish I could sample Carmen Appice's kit that he used with Blue Murder.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
I definitely dont sample drums from anything where it was mastered with clipping - which is pretty much any album made in the last 10 years.

Once the initial transient is lost by overlimiting and clipping in mixing and mastering, it cannot ever be brought back again. If its then subjected to further compression in your own mix, the result is an "overcooked" sound.

I much prefer to sample from albums made in the 1970s and 1980s, where the overall level is lower and the only compression happening is light tape saturation. You can then take one of these samples and hammer it with processing without it getting overcooked, or layer it with other sounds if you want to increase length, girth, and overall pleasure. heh

^^very true. I sometimes sample kicks from house records but I will be sure to add as little compression as possible throughout the whole mixing process.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Cabaret Voltaire
Looking into it right now... I already hear some good breaks.

Cheers.

*Edit: I also go to J Dilla's discography for some hip hop drums. But I feel like it's blasphemy so I rarely use them lol.
Old 1st September 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

How come sampling J Dilla is blasphemy and from Deadmau5 isn't?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Ha, I guess there's no real logic behind it...

But it's prob because I consider electonic drums to be more generic than hip hop drums. While you could hardly recognize the difference between Deadmau and Tiesto's drums, it seems like there's more effort and originality that goes into a Dilla, or even a Kanye drum break. Dilla is more known for his drums than Deadmau.

I guess there shouldn't be a difference. It's all perception.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, who do you sample?
I haven't sampled drums off commercial CDs for years, but when I did, it was Front 242 and Depeche Mode.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

When the levee breaks. Just sampled it and made some dnb.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahbrown View Post
When the levee breaks. Just sampled it and made some dnb.
Can't hit much harder then those. Classic.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
How come sampling J Dilla is blasphemy and from Deadmau5 isn't?
because you're sampling a sample?

musical incest..
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

i still just sample breaks and drum snippets from old records.. but i love working with drums and wouldn't enjoy using anything that's been pre-processed in a contemporary way
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

old school funk breaks! all those good old classic d&b breaks, layered with other samples of course then process the ^&#( out of 'em

I love finding little intro drums on blues and jazz or rock records as well, a nice snare or kick here or there always good for a run also
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
because you're sampling a sample?

Quote:
musical incest..
Old 1st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
I much prefer to sample from albums made in the 1970s and 1980s...

Yep. Nothing really specific just old 70's funk/latin/lounge records...

Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cabaret Voltaire
Haha, I sampled Nag Nag Nag awhile back. Still use the samples sometimes.

Depending on where I am in the music writing process I try not to listen to other music, but when I do listen to music I always try to have the means to sample it available, especially crappy pop & cheesy EDM. See "How do I sound like X" threads. My attitude is if this garbage is going to abuse my ears I'm going to make something out of it. FAIR USE.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cabaret Voltaire
Most drum machines already sound like them don't they?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Sample packs.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Old folk and Disneyland records :D
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBeach View Post
Most drum machines already sound like them don't they?
nah.. it's all about the breaks.. with vocal snippits and other things in there..
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Oldskool Hardcore Christian Bangra.

Sample packs or what I Get given, not too keen on using stuff of someone elses recording, there's a word for it, playdoism or something..
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

I never understand why you would sample another persons beats?

Make your own and make others sample you!
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomf View Post
I never understand why you would sample another persons beats?
You're kidding, right?

Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

I would rather create my own stuff and make people sample me.

In hip hop it's the same now too. Obviosuly in the old days it was common place to sample beats. IN THE OLD DAYS!
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I kind of agree with tomf, yoozer :P Amen Break is history now, plus they Winstons never got a penny. I know a lot of prominent producers still sample, but I'd rather have full control, a lot of prominent producers also go out of their way to make it sound as if they have lifted stuff.

If I want motown/soul type breaks I'll write them myself in BFD2 or abbey road drums then dirty them up.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomf View Post
I would rather create my own stuff and make people sample me.

In hip hop it's the same now too. Obviosuly in the old days it was common place to sample beats. IN THE OLD DAYS!
Exactly! I program my own stuff and EQ it my own way, it's my music, why would I want portions of it sounding like someone else?
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

I guess it always depends on what you want to achieve and what you're making.

Each to their own
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I will never understand, why people have a problem with sampling oneshots of records and then refer to drummachines and sample libraries.

either way you're using someone else's work. either way you will probably have to EQ it, tune it and so on to make it fit into your track. And the kick you've sampled off deadmau5 has probably been taken from a sample library anyway.

nobody is talking about ripping off a whole drumbeat. it's about sampling certain elements of many different songs, reworking them, rearranging them .... Imho that's just as creative as using a drum library.

eveything is based on somone elses work. adjusting tune and decay on a 909 BD is not sound design

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search