The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the mighty pro one Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

the mighty pro one

just received a very tasty Pro One from Acid Hazard Larry, formerly Carbon111's as featured on his site Pro-One

i am totally slutting it up now. damn if the Pro One isn't a mighty beastie. at first i wasn't sure i made the right choice, but as this little teaser shows the Pro One was a sound choice.

http://asciibaron.dyndns.org/gearslutz/pro_one_fun.mp3

i love that little twang when the cutoff is down low. twangy acid awesome.

that is all

w00t w00t.
Old 1st September 2011
It's a really great synth. Kinda under rated.

I sold mine quite a few years ago, part of an evolutionary journey through the vintage synths that were available back then.
But a few weeks ago I found some dats of tracks I made when i was using the Pro One a lot and was stunned out how good some of the synth sounds were.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
It's a really great synth. Kinda under rated.

I sold mine quite a few years ago, part of an evolutionary journey through the vintage synths that were available back then.
But a few weeks ago I found some dats of tracks I made when i was using the Pro One a lot and was stunned out how good some of the synth sounds were.
Vince Clark is never wrong - look what he has kept from his massive sell off a few years ago. hell, the first of his AM's was the mighty Pro One!

Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

PRO ONE = BadAss
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Rock and Roll!
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
Rock and Roll!
thanks Larry. i'll be a good steward of this fine beastie.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm sure you will =o] Now i gotta find someone to buy my drum machines!!!
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
i bought the only drum machine i'll ever need, the Pro One
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
It depends how much the shipping to Europe would be for your R70....

The Pro One is in a class by itself. Compared to a mini it's still cheap.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I would hazard a guess of about $50-$60 to ship to Europe.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Woah, yeah, that sounds hot and juicy. Like...hot juice.
Old 1st September 2011
The mopho does way more for less with a similar sound.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

With seemingly no intention of inference by the OP as to what I will be referring to:

This thread speaks volumes about the entire "debate".

And yet, (so far!) -the- debate hasn't even entered this thread yet!

Humans are wonderful wonderful creatures!
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
The mopho does way more for less with a similar sound.
Everyone, please don't take this bait. Just move along. tutt
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Pro one is great, this was done using pro one as the only source. There is some distortion/filter post processing with sh09 and re501, but that's just 10%. I hope I find time to finish the track...

I have DSI Tetra too and while it's a great thing, it's on the safe side. As if there was some kind safety compressor keeping it tame. All the feedback-distortion parameters are great, but it's like comparing dog to grizzly. There is a big difference in the filter character and rawness. Tetra's filter has quite narrow and clean resonance in 4p mode, while pro one resonates with wider Q and nice saturation.

I think it is great combo, I can do raw and direct stuff with Pro One and some softer and more complex things with Tetra.
Old 25th January 2012
Here for the gear

I bought my first Pro One in `82 and the second a year later....Very useful monobox indeed!!! Shame that Dave Smith (DSI) don`t make a re-issue.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Funny this thread popped back up, I was just messing with my Pro One
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear
and at the same time, i've been perusing the sites debating whether to preorder a mini brute or a minitaur, then concluded "i got a pro-one, screw both those synths"...
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
and at the same time, i've been perusing the sites debating whether to preorder a mini brute or a minitaur, then concluded "i got a pro-one, screw both those synths"...
I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a Pro-One, Mokeys, MS-20, and a CS-10 -- and I'm still intrigued by the Minibrute.

I agree the Pro-One is in a class all by itself though.
Old 5th February 2012
I could never get into my pro one when i had it. ITs so old school puppy sounding and everything i did with it sounded like that. The modulations in the mopho smash the pro one in terms of what kind of sounds you can get out of it, the automation with the seq too.Its like a mini modular in some ways. So hard to program though.
Old 5th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I could never get into my pro one when i had it. ITs so old school puppy sounding and everything i did with it sounded like that. The modulations in the mopho smash the pro one in terms of what kind of sounds you can get out of it, the automation with the seq too.Its like a mini modular in some ways. So hard to program though.
I know someone who can speak fluent in 4 languages...but everything he still says isn't worth ****.

Sorry but the mopho does not hold a candle to the Pro 1 in raw bass synth sound. The oscillators on the Pro 1 are just solid meaty and sound great, no one synth can really do it all and I always used my Pro 1 for Bass and Drums.... no point making advanced modulation pad sounds on it....although the sync sound was pretty damn good.
Old 5th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Proton
The oscillators on the Pro 1 are just solid meaty
I'm vegetarian, so I sold the Pro 1. It had meaty oscillators wrapped in paper - I couldn't stand that. It felt like it was going to fall apart at the slightest turn of the knob. I liked the sound, but hated the whole package.

I bought Moog Little Phatty instead. It feels much more solid and it sounds much juicier and fruitier in all kinds of sounds. No more cardboard synths for me.

Vince Clarke isn't always correct. He stated that Moog LP doesn't sound like an analogue synth while I've recreated the sounds and feel from my favourite late 70's album, Albedo 0.39 on it.
Old 5th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Proton View Post
I know someone who can speak fluent in 4 languages...but everything he still says isn't worth ****.

Sorry but the mopho does not hold a candle to the Pro 1 in raw bass synth sound. The oscillators on the Pro 1 are just solid meaty and sound great, no one synth can really do it all and I always used my Pro 1 for Bass and Drums.... no point making advanced modulation pad sounds on it....although the sync sound was pretty damn good.
+1 here also. I had a loaned Mopho in my studio and it was far from sounding as good as my Pro One. The Mopho was cool but simply did not have the raw power of the Pro One.
Old 5th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefolklore View Post
Vince Clarke isn't always correct. He stated that Moog LP doesn't sound like an analogue synth while I've recreated the sounds and feel from my favourite late 70's album, Albedo 0.39 on it.
Yeah, I'm not the biggest little phatty fan here but I always thought that what Vince said about it was complete BS.
Old 5th February 2012
The mopho i think sounds way better than the pro one. Was it as raw and fat, no. Still I prefer the range of sounds the mopho makes from animated seqs with modulations, to its basic sounds. I would take a mopho any day of the week because they are made way better as well.
Old 5th February 2012
Lives for gear

........ Pro-One?! I've got a serious boner for this particular Pro-One;

I'd donate my testiclay to medical science in exchange for this mutha fu**a!!!
Old 5th February 2012
Lives for gear

...... although this demo is bathed in Eventide Reverb, which does tend to make EVERYTHING sound about 10 times better with it strapped on heh

So, I'd donate one testiclay for the white Pro-One & the other for a top end Eventide box heh
Old 5th February 2012
dsi Mopho - YouTube

All mopho and i think it sounds amazing.
Old 5th February 2012
Dave Smith Mopho Keyboard Demo - YouTube

Mopho is way more animated, less raw, but refined and musical, it does sound dco, while the pro one sounds vco so on over all tone yeah the pro one is a tad better, still think the mopho delivers mor modulations and more sound possibilities with not as much glitter on the sound. Still. I would rather have one.
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mopho is way more animated, less raw, but refined and musical, it does sound dco, while the pro one sounds vco so on over all tone yeah the pro one is a tad better, still think the mopho delivers mor modulations and more sound possibilities with not as much glitter on the sound. Still. I would rather have one.
it's still not a Pro-One

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search