The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the mighty pro one Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear
I see the occasional complaint about the keyboard mech in the Pro1.

If it was a membrane later version, then yep.. I understand.

But the earlier J wire version is a standard Pratt-Reed keybed and is used in countless keyboards (Prophet 5, Emulator 1, MiniMoog, Arp stuff etc)

If the keyboard feels crap, buy some new bushings. It's a resonably easy job for the novice to do and well worth it.

The P1's keybed when re-bushed plays like butter and is great. No complaints here.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytranzmit View Post
Pretty much confirmed my view on their emulations. Having owned many analogues it's one of my favourite pieces of equipment. Cannot fault any of the synths, the Odyssey is bad ass, Mini, Pro one and Profit 5 all simply brilliant.

If you drop the guys at sonicore an email they will send you an allkeys file which will activate all the synths for free. The Profit was the only one I didn't have and they were very helpful.
Thanks for the info. I am going to contact Sonic Core tomorrow. There is a Noah EX for sale on Ebay right now. I was thinking of picking it up but I probably won't (too much stuff already need to get rid of some of it) Some lucky person will grab it for 5 or 600 if they know what it is. I see how that whole Scope Excite platform evolved out of the Noah idea (just my guess).
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 View Post
The P1's keybed when re-bushed plays like butter and is great. No complaints here.
my Pro One had the bushings replaced and ZOMG, it is fun to play. i'm going to upgrade the CPU and add MIDI at some point in the future, but i'm skint right now, too much GAS lately.

i'm looking forward to sending the Pro One into the DP/4 when it gets here next week.
Old 17th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
Thanks for the info. I am going to contact Sonic Core tomorrow. There is a Noah EX for sale on Ebay right now. I was thinking of picking it up but I probably won't (too much stuff already need to get rid of some of it) Some lucky person will grab it for 5 or 600 if they know what it is. I see how that whole Scope Excite platform evolved out of the Noah idea (just my guess).
No problem. They seem to be a very good company to deal with, most companies would say it's no longer supported.

I was exactly the same, my reasoning was based on the rising price of the originals and how good these do sound. I was lucky as the guy had listed it a couple of time for £500 with no takers and I offered £350. You're probably right, seems like one of those gems that most never got to test out.
Old 17th February 2012
Gear Nut

Just chiming in here with some P1 love. And also props to the Analog Lab in NYC for reviving mine; bushings replaced and overall cleaning for a fair price. Nothing like this synth brought back to life!
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
i'm looking forward to sending the Pro One into the DP/4 when it gets here next week.
You won't be disappointed.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
You won't be disappointed.
i have a few days that i might need to use next week
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

calibration to external cv input

I actually spent 2 minutes using Search to find this thread rather than start a new one....

The Pro-One does not have an external cv input calibration pot. The oscillator cv's are all summed through a set of matched resistors. The cv input jack breaks the normalled connection from the keyboard; it is not summed separately.

However, when trying to have it play in tune both from the keyboard and from external cv I find I have to adjust the master tune. Scanning the service docs, I didn't see any way to change the base cv and scaling for the keyboard.

The DAC scaling doesn't look like it will help since that doesn't actually change the base cv generated by the keyboard.

Anyone looked at this problem and have a solution? Since the keyboard cv is brought out to the normalling contact on the jack, there's no obvious place to insert a trimpot, unless I put it on a small external cable adapter.

thoughts? (changing the external cv generating device (Cirklon) has been attempted and I cannot get it to generate a low enough offset to match. It's close, but not there. I guess I could try ratcheting it up an octave and then back it down from there).
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear Nut

Stupid question involving the Pro One. When I clock its sequencer from my Drumtraks, how can I increase the frequency of the notes, other than BPM on the Drumtraks?
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_g View Post
Stupid question involving the Pro One. When I clock its sequencer from my Drumtraks, how can I increase the frequency of the notes, other than BPM on the Drumtraks?
the clock out is set to 24 ppqn by default, but you can change this.

Hold Enter
for 24 ppqn press 1
for 48 ppqn press 2

are you using the Clock Out jack or an instrument as a trigger source?
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
However, when trying to have it play in tune both from the keyboard and from external cv I find I have to adjust the master tune.
i have not noticed this behaviour with the Doepfer MAUSI or the Kenton Pro2, both of which have an adjustable offset amount. you are welcome to borrow the MAUSI to make sure it's not an issue with the CV from the Cricket

does the CV scale correctly out of tune?
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
i have not noticed this behaviour with the Doepfer MAUSI or the Kenton Pro2, both of which have an adjustable offset amount. you are welcome to borrow the MAUSI to make sure it's not an issue with the CV from the Cricket

does the CV scale correctly out of tune?
The Cirklon correctly plays across all the octaves after I move the master tune on the Pro-One to get the base C in tune. Currently the Cirklon does not allow for a base offset adjust for the cv outputs. I have a msg into Colin to see what he says about that. It's easy enough to move the master tune back and forth, but it's a bit of a PITA when you have a complex patch set up on the Pro-One and getting a clean stable pitch is a bit of an issue. Plus when you're old you forget...

in contrast, the MiniMoog is perfect from both internal keyboard and external cv (complete w. low F as the base note and s-trigger for the gate).
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear Nut

Thanks. I think I was using the MET OUT jack (perhaps as per the user manual); but will check when I get home later. What's the main difference between these two outs (MET vs. CLOCK)?

Quote:
the clock out is set to 24 ppqn by default, but you can change this.

Hold Enter
for 24 ppqn press 1
for 48 ppqn press 2

are you using the Clock Out jack or an instrument as a trigger source?
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_g View Post
Thanks. I think I was using the MET OUT jack (perhaps as per the user manual); but will check when I get home later. What's the main difference between these two outs (MET vs. CLOCK)?
the clock out will be REALLY fast into the arp of the Juno and totally worthless (24 pulses per quarter note is a HUGE number of pulses to an arp), the metronome is going to fire off every quarter note. the Clock OUT is for syncing with another sequencer, not a synths arp or on-board sequencer (like the pro-One). the best solution is to use a trigger out that you can set to trigger when you want it to.

a sound with a fast attack is a great trigger, like a rim shot. you want something like 16 pulses per MEASURE and you can set those triggers to happen any time you want so you can have some groovy things
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

i love the pro-one. has anyone here had experience with the replacement CPUs offered here?

MTG “Turbo” CPU for Sequential Circuits Pro One | Music Technologies Group Blog

we've got a few pro-ones with fried CPUs to finally replace.
mini

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search