The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the mighty pro one Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th February 2012
no but its close man it gets about 90% of the tone of the pro one, and something else.
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
no but its close man it gets about 90% of the tone of the pro one, and something else.
nope.. ii doesnt..far from it.. the envelopes are totally stiff on the mopho and all the fm modulation stuff is just not there..
Old 8th February 2012
I honestly dont like later cem stuff, rev3 and beyond. pro one, yuck, ssm yes.
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I honestly dont like later cem stuff, rev3 and beyond. pro one, yuck, ssm yes.
what's under the hood of the Mopho? if it's not CEM based (which it's not, it's running DCO's and CEM ain't make no DCO) than it's nothing like a Pro One because the only spec that matters is how it sounds. therefore all comparisons should cease; apples to grapefruits and such.
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
It's a really great synth. Kinda under rated.
I have to say that in my experience this isn't true, this is one of the most hyped, loved, worshipped and sought after monosynths within the synth-geek community (that's us) lol.

People look past it's poor build quality and simple modulation because of it's legendary aggressive sound, which is fine, however this leads to one simple fact: there are many many underated synths in this world, but the Pro One isn't one of them!

Of course, in being an opinionated but quite laid back kind of chap, i'll happily concede that in your experience/circle of enthusiasts it may indeed be underrated! different people have different tastes, and it certainly isn't as hyped as that american company that begins with M!
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I have to say that in my experience this isn't true, this is one of the most hyped, loved, worshipped and sought after monosynths within the synth-geek community (that's us) lol.
it's got nothing on the MS-20. talk about hype.
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

jeesus

this thread is not about mopho or ms-20 or steak sandwiches, it's about a customised pro one.
i could say 'i like oscar better' and while it may be true to me it doesn't matter one bit here.

again, this is a custom p1 and so is not the same p1 everyone is familiar with being flimsy cardboard

gearslutz concensus-tendencies fail
yet again
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
jeesus

this thread is not about mopho or ms-20 or steak sandwiches, it's about a customised pro one.

i started the thread about the fun i was/am having with my Pro One. the only thing custom about it is the wooden chassis components. what are you on about?
Old 9th February 2012
I think it is one of the worst sounding synths I have ever played and programmed. I didn't like the tone and the build quality was awful. One of my least favorite synths of all time.

GREAT SYNC SOUND, but for anything else, sh2, sh09, old minimoog please.
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it is one of the worst sounding synths I have ever played and programmed. I didn't like the tone and the build quality was awful. One of my least favorite synths of all time.

GREAT SYNC SOUND, but for anything else, sh2, sh09, old minimoog please.
You claimed the Mopho did the Pro One sound only better and now you hate yours. so now you claim the Pro One is horrible sounding.

jealous much?
Old 9th February 2012
No the mopho is more powerful in its modulations and sequencer, that is what I was talking about, how it can go into modular wonky mode if you can stomach programming it. The basic tone on the pro one, and mopho are horrid CEM garbage. Still i would choose the mopho because of its memory.

Give me sh09, sh2, arp odyssey, minimoog any day of the week over any CEM synth out there. Jupiter 8 over prophet 5 any day of the week. If you can't tell I am roland and korg nut. I like old american synths as well, OLD that is moogs i should say, and arps.
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The basic tone on the pro one, and mopho are horrid CEM garbage.

no wonder i love them, i live in a garbage pail
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

I'm interested in the Pro One, so I read this thread...

For the life of me, I can't figure out what the biatch fight is about.

You don't like the Pro One... phew! Good thing you don't have to!

You don't like the MoPho... Woohoo! Good thing you don't have to!

Someone prefers one to the other... (You get the idea)

-a
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
I'm interested in the Pro One, so I read this thread...
the Pro One is one of those synths that really makes great sounds but you have to go slowly with the adjustments, the difference between full on crazy evil nightmare and "that's fookin badazz" is ever so slight. the resonance pot can kill dogs within a 3 block radius.

it's not as temperamental as an EML-101, but that filter will peel the paint off the walls.

i have a pretty simple bassline going with a nice LFO on the filter and a touch of tap tempo delay...

Old 9th February 2012
Gear Addict

Is any one aware of any kind of mods that have been done or are available for the Pro one besides cosmetics and midi.
I am thinking of getting the Turbo CPU +Midi for mine though.
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBEQ View Post
Is any one aware of any kind of mods that have been done or are available for the Pro one besides cosmetics and midi.
I installed the Turbo CPU + Midi in mine.

It's an awesome upgrade.

The fact that I can use the P1 as a master keyboard with MIDI in , out & thru is awesome.. I like losts of closed loop setups with a keyboard paired with a sequencer, so stuff with midi in & out is great for that.

The Sequencer is much better with 256 notes per pattern (instead of the 40 shared) and it holds it's memory when you switch it off.

Best of luck.

Mike
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBEQ View Post
the CPU upgrade is on my list of things to get for sure. there are some really good mods and some so-so mods floating around. i halved the speed of the LFO, it was just too fast for long filter sweeps - halving the resistance halves the speed.

the triangle wave is available on OSC A, there just wasn't room on the front panel for it. a few support components are needed to bring it out of the CEM, but it's pretty straight forward (i don't need a triangle on OSC A so i have no use for this mod).

adding a down saw to the LFO is another simple task done with an op-amp as an invertor for the upsaw - three resistors, an op-amp, and a switch to select up or down saw is all you need.

more details here:
Pro-One Modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 View Post
I installed the Turbo CPU + Midi in mine.

It's an awesome upgrade.
the sequencer additions are awesome - expanded note capacity, saves sequences when powered off, and note tie for setting note duration, that's huge - plus the sequences go out MIDI... and you can chain the two sequences together...

i need to get the CPU+MIDI upgrade ASAP... this makes the sequencer better than what is on the 101!
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

the one mod I have been considering is to invert the filter envelope. My thought was to replace the Filter Amount pot with a pot that can either pull up or push as a switch to toggle between normal envelope and inverted. So the circuitry can be added internally and no need for any extra holes/switches/etc. If I can't find a pot that matches the specs, I was going to use the cv/gate output holes.

It's on my list.

When it's open, the LFO mod will be done as well.
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
When it's open, the LFO mod will be done as well.
the SH-101 LFO has a triangle, square, random, and noise.
the MC-202 LFO is just a triangle but adds delay.

the Pro One would own my face if the LFO had the following parameters:

delay (requires a little work)
up saw
down saw (easy mod)
triangle
square
PWM (easy mod)
s&h (requires some work)
noise (requires some work)

toss in an auto portamento and this is a 101 killer (well not really, but it would be super fun)
Old 9th February 2012
Here for the gear

I thought the Creamware Pro 12 got very close indeed to the Pro one. I know it was trying to emulate to Pro5 but it can do both very reasonably, close enough for most ears.
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabme View Post
I thought the Creamware Pro 12 got very close indeed to the Pro one. I know it was trying to emulate to Pro5 but it can do both very reasonably, close enough for most ears.
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

some things that aren't obvious from the front panel info...

the Mode switches are a bit confusing and the control the GATE operation modes...

NORMAL-RETRIG - since the Pro One is low note priority, when you select RETRIG a new gate signal will be triggered regardless of the position of the key played.

NORMAL-REPEAT/EXT - when playing from the keyboard and this set to RETRIG, the envelope gate retriggers to the LFO frequency.

DRONE - sets the gate to high and overrides the REPEAT/EXT mode if selected.

these settings are covered in the manual but can be confusing if you don't realize they are for the GATE to the ENVELOPES.

to retrigger the LFO with every keydown, simply turn the ARP on.
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabme View Post
Be interested to hear others views on the Creamware synths. I've heard some say the desktop versions didn't quite sound the same as the Scope version for what ever reason.

I own two of the Noah EX racks with Profit 5 and the Pro one, brilliant synths regardless.
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytranzmit View Post
Be interested to hear others views on the Creamware synths. I've heard some say the desktop versions didn't quite sound the same as the Scope version for what ever reason.

I own two of the Noah EX racks with Profit 5 and the Pro one, brilliant synths regardless.
I have a Minimax desktop and a Noah EX. The minimoog emulations are better than a Little Phatty. Crisp nuanced, and extremely musical. The sounds if you program parameter for parameter between the Noah mini and the Minimax ASB are completely differennt, and you can't load minimax patches into the noah or vice versa. The Noah's Pro One is my favourite virtual synth. It's IS a Pro One. The moog is killer too. The Noah has in's for processing through the filters, really good FX and a very useful mixer section. step sequencers, arpeggiators, it's very well built. USB graphic interface. Outstanding. I wish I had the Prophet 5 plug for it.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

what about the Creamware hardware stuff?
Prodysee and the like?
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
what about the Creamware hardware stuff?
Prodysee and the like?
I spent about three days a couple of weeks ago sampling my Minimax ASB (desktop creamware) into my E6400 Ultra becasue I was thinking of selling it. It sampled very nicely. By the end of the sessions, I had decided to keep the Minimax. It's just too cool to let go and it sounds amazing. It also looks identical to a minimoog knob for knob and the knobs have a very positive feel. It's very well put together. Sonic Core has stopped making those little hardware synths now. I'm no collector, but I know that the prices on the ASB boxes will only increase in time.THe You tube videos of the Creamware Minimax don't do it justice. You have to play with one for awhile to appreciate what it can do
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

is any of that a Pro One? can we keep this on topic?
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
is any of that a Pro One? can we keep this on topic?
ignore what you don't need
Old 16th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
some things that aren't obvious from the front panel info...

the Mode switches are a bit confusing and the control the GATE operation modes...

NORMAL-RETRIG - since the Pro One is low note priority, when you select RETRIG a new gate signal will be triggered regardless of the position of the key played.

NORMAL-REPEAT/EXT - when playing from the keyboard and this set to RETRIG, the envelope gate retriggers to the LFO frequency.

DRONE - sets the gate to high and overrides the REPEAT/EXT mode if selected.

these settings are covered in the manual but can be confusing if you don't realize they are for the GATE to the ENVELOPES.

to retrigger the LFO with every keydown, simply turn the ARP on.
excellent, good to know.

i need a few month to get warm with the pro one, but meanwhile i´m really into it. i love the bleepy noises and modulating stuff he´s capable of.
the build quality sucks, it just feels cheap and the keys are horrible, that´d be my only complaints.
Old 16th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
I have a Minimax desktop and a Noah EX. The minimoog emulations are better than a Little Phatty. Crisp nuanced, and extremely musical. The sounds if you program parameter for parameter between the Noah mini and the Minimax ASB are completely differennt, and you can't load minimax patches into the noah or vice versa. The Noah's Pro One is my favourite virtual synth. It's IS a Pro One. The moog is killer too. The Noah has in's for processing through the filters, really good FX and a very useful mixer section. step sequencers, arpeggiators, it's very well built. USB graphic interface. Outstanding. I wish I had the Prophet 5 plug for it.
Pretty much confirmed my view on their emulations. Having owned many analogues it's one of my favourite pieces of equipment. Cannot fault any of the synths, the Odyssey is bad ass, Mini, Pro one and Profit 5 all simply brilliant.

If you drop the guys at sonicore an email they will send you an allkeys file which will activate all the synths for free. The Profit was the only one I didn't have and they were very helpful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search