The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf XT vs. Nord Lead 1. vs. Waldorf Q Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Waldorf XT vs. Nord Lead 1. vs. Waldorf Q

Waldorf XT vs. Nord Lead 1. vs. Waldorf Q vs Yamaha AN1X
Which one should I get and why cause I got an opportunity...
(I produce psytrance and ambient)
I must mention the synths I already have: Virus, Evolver, Tetra, Supernova.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Since you already have 2 VA's, I would suggest the non-VA, the Microwave XT.

While you can also do VA on the XT and it sounds quite authentic sometimes, you can also go in a completely different direction with the wavetables, from crystaline Yamaha DX-like sounds to digital soundscapes from hell.

A good example :

http://waldorf.electro-music.com/mic...tened_days.mp3

Peter.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

My vote goes to Waldorf XT.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Waldorf µWave XT
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Addict

If you produce Psytrance, I'd stay away from any of the nord leads. Not because they don't suit the style, that's the problem actually, the style is almost defined by nord leads. If you get a NL (1/2/3) you're going to sound like 90's Goa/Psytrance. I mean, if that's what you're going for than by all means, the NL series are pretty awesome, and very easy to use.

However, if you want to sound different ( Which I think is really important, especially in the age of Psytrance done completely with VST's ), get a Q or XT. The XT and Q are both very psychedelic sounding synths. I'd love to own either of them.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I would pick XT and Q

Yes; they both have wavetables but the approach is different, so they would complement each other well.

Q has suboscillators for wavetables as well, up to 6 oscillators per voice is possible with that setup.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Waldorf.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

WALDORF XT!!!!

great synth
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

They're all great synths (the Q might very well be my favorite synth ever), but with your current set up considered I'd probably go with the XT myself. If not that then a Q. The Nord is a simple synth (I'm not talking about the modulars here, obviously), so only get one if you're particularly fond of it's sound or the friendly user interface.

So yeah, I'd have to agree with the XT recommendations here. And I should probably get one for myself too....
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

The Yamaha AN1x is pretty cheap considering how cool it is, and I'd guess much cheaper than any of the two Waldorfs, so that might be something to think about...

Also, the Nord Lead 1 is likely only worth getting if it comes with the expansion, so I'd say you should pass that one if it doesn't.

If they are all the same price, or similarly priced, likely the MicroWave XT is the one for you to get, as I'd guess it will give you something different to your rig, when compared with the others.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

i'd say waldorf XT as well. But thats just going off youtube demo's, never had a chance to play with one myself. Love what i've heard though.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I think it's about how u think it will fit into ur workflow... Waldorfs are 16 parts multitimbral so u actually sequence the whole track in MIDI using one synth only... Nord not only different by character but also only 4 part multi... So u either have to record parts or use it with other synth (assuming that u need more than 4 parts for a track on everage)... So it's different work machines as well as different sounding...
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

you know its all about the person that sitting behind the hardware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psynthman View Post
If you produce Psytrance, I'd stay away from any of the nord leads. Not because they don't suit the style, that's the problem actually, the style is almost defined by nord leads. If you get a NL (1/2/3) you're going to sound like 90's Goa/Psytrance. I mean, if that's what you're going for than by all means, the NL series are pretty awesome, and very easy to use.

However, if you want to sound different ( Which I think is really important, especially in the age of Psytrance done completely with VST's ), get a Q or XT. The XT and Q are both very psychedelic sounding synths. I'd love to own either of them.

well, i've got Waldorf Q and Nord Rack 1 (12 voices) and i love them!!!
they working very well together
but since you have virus, i would sk the Waldorf XT + Nord Lead and sale the Supernova...
Old 19th June 2013
nevermind. I failed to see how ancient the thread was!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search