The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
very un-minty JX-3P - should i do it? Synthesizers (Others) (HW)
Old 31st August 2011
very un-minty JX-3P - should i do it?

Hi Gearslutz,

i have the opportunity to buy an JX-3P from a local guy. The synth looks very damaged, four keys are broken, it seems to have scratchy pots and would need some serious re-working. The guy wants 100€ for it, but i probably can talk him down.

I'm a total noob at modding synths, but am interested in learning, i probably will start with a monotron mod to see if I'm able, and if i am, i would like to put the Kiwi JX-3P upgrade in the synth. I'm not really interseted in fixing the keys (for now) since I would be playing and editing it via my Novation SL controller.

So do you guys think it's worth it? Anyone has done the Kiwi Upgrade and would you think an amateur like me could do something like that?

Thanks!
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Guru

I acquired two of these in reasonable condition for about 150 euros each. They're not rare; while it tingles the instant gratification sense I'd skip it (unless you know you can fix it yourself) and wait for a good one to come by.
Old 31st August 2011
Thanks, i think you just saved me from an an idiotic impulse buy. heh
Although i've never seen a JX-3P going for less than 300€.
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Guru

Depends a bit on where you live, though - and if the programmer is included. I've seen one very optimistic person on a Dutch forum offer a JX3P + programmer for 600 euros.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

I got my jx3p off craigslist for 120 CAD...it also had like four nonworking keys. Worn out contacts and in kind of rough shape.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

If you can hook up another midi keyboard to it and it plays fine through midi, and if you can access all the edit parameters, then knock the price down a bit further (say...80 euros, perhaps 70?) and go for it. Just test properly beforehand!
Old 1st September 2011
Akh
Gear Maniac

Shameless plug: I've got a Kiwitechnics Patch Editor for sale if anyone is interested, and a JX-3P. I'd be willing to ship the former, but would probably prefer pick-up for the latter. I'm located in Victoria, BC, Canada. PM me if interested.

Random link so that my post here may contribute to the discussion.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
With JX-3p I'd be careful - prob skip an abused one because they can start to act up in other ways (button lights/button banks failing if abused and sometimes the oscs can go screwy)

they are always on ebay so you should pay a little extra and get a working/nice one
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Depends a bit on where you live
Here in the USA I've seen quite a few selling between $75-150.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search