The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to get this pumping synth sound?!
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Maniac

How to get this pumping synth sound?!

Titanium by David Guetta-

Titanium // David Guetta ft. Sia (lyrics on description) - YouTube

How does he get that pumping synth sound around 1:11?

It is not just the pumping on the offbeat thing that we've seen so much in pop music lately, because you can still feel the synth on beat 1. It's like it pumps just for a second on beat 1 and then pulls back in. I can't seem to figure it out!

I know the sidechain compressor trick, and that works great for getting the offbeat pumping, but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to do this!

If anyone has any insight on this, that'd be great. Thanks!
Old 31st August 2011
Here for the gear

This IS an example of sidechain compression When sidechaining, use the attack and release values to 'tune' the pump. If you want it to occur instantaneously, set a low threshold with a very short attack. Compressors can be tricky because all the parameters work together to create the effect, and can act differently depending on the source (in this case the kick drum).
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Guru

Perfectly transparent sidechaining is merely a matter of automating volume - so if attack/release on a compressor isn't giving you the result you want, check out LFO Tool | Xfer Records - you can draw the shape of the volume curve there and it'll be synchronized automatically. (otherwise you'd have to draw/copy the curves manually, which is free, but more effort).

Experiment with the curves - there's a difference between linear, exponential positive and exponential negative.

These shapes are also used in synthesis - percussive sounds do well with exponential decay instead of linear.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Cool, thanks to both of you!

As far as the compressor thing goes, are there certain compressors that work better for this than others? I found that an Opto worked best for the off-beat pumping thing. Any other insights on this?
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Every compressor does it a bit differently. I like Digital Performer's built-in "Dynamics" plug-in for it. Almost of all of my SC is 4x4 of multi-wobbling D-STEP synths, which is a nice trick. It creates a sound that is both stable and pumping but also unpredictable.

REMEMBER: The quality of sound you use as the SC makes a difference too! Too often I see track where someone just threw the 1st BD in their library on the chain. Try it with a snare, a clap, a guitar, just experiment.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

That was sidechaining compression at its worst, most annoying use.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
LOL! +1
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
Hahaha, I just found it interesting the way he did it and I was curious as to how to achieve that! To each his own...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search