The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to Make this Bass Sound?
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Nut

How to Make this Bass Sound?

Hey guys I was hoping you all could help me recreate this bass sound thanks so much!

SBTRKT Timeless - YouTube
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

I'm assuming you mean the underlying bass sound throughout the whole track that comes in at 1:34?

Pretty straight forward it seems (which is why I'm posting, I heard it and was like, 'hey, I can make that I think!') :

I made a couple of minor tweaks to the default patch on Reason's Subtractor
2 Sawtooth Oscillators detuned by give or take 20 cents
Filter envelope without much envelope amt, slow attack, slow decay, sustain level to taste
24db/oct Low pass filter mostly closed up, to taste

I did a second patch with an added Malstrom with a strings wavetable lowpassed and layered with the subtractor.

Any 2 osc subtractive synth should be able to do this, and if you have a string ensemble patch you can low pass filter, you can layer it under to give it a little of the 'stringy' feeling

see attached

I recommend reading this: Synthesis Tips & Tutorials: How to create your own patches

and this: Pop Sound Sources

And most importantly, EXPERIMENT!! That's where the fun is, and heck in the process you'll probably come up with your own patches that you like better.
Attached Files

Bass Synth Subtractor Only.mp3 (312.2 KB, 81 views)

Bass Synth Subtractor & Malstrom.mp3 (312.2 KB, 82 views)

Old 31st August 2011
Gear Guru

It helps a lot if you tell us what you use in terms of hardware or plugins.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search