The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Realistic Reverb
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Maniac

Realistic Reverb

Hi GS,

A couple of days ago i bought this little beauty (Realistic Reverb). It's wicked for the 'spring' verb kinda sounds. Tho i would love to have a longer delay time if that is possible. Is there somebody on the forum who could help me out modify this little piece of hardware. I'm not really familiar with modifying stuff, tho i want to get into it.
Old 31st August 2011
well, that is probably the best piece to start modding honestly. because if it breaks, it's a realistic reverb, your not out much.

however my burning hatred for radioshack says smash it anyways.

i read something a long time ago about a certain tape echo unit extending the delay by changing the value of the potentiometer. this may or may not work for your realistic.

hopefully someone can chime in here.
Old 31st August 2011
Loads of mods on the web all you need to do is google.

Realistic Reverb Modification and Rehousing | Clacktronics

"A very simple and effective mod is to replace the MN3207 with an MN3208 or MN3205 - get 2x or 4x the delay then. Requires some rewiring since the pinouts are different, but otherwise compatible. If you have a 2nd MN3207 kicking around, can piggyback-solder the extra MN3207 on top of the first one - the clock pins can be shared, as well as the power supply and bias pins. The two output pins and the input pin are bent-out to hook up a bias trimpot and coupling cap to the input, plus an clock null trim and associated resistors for the two output pins. The output of the first BBD goes into the input of the 2nd. Sounds more than 2x as good as the original when yu do this. Modded a unit to have three MN3207 piggybacked this way once... the MN3102 should be able to drive four of the MN3207. No compander chip though, so a null trim is mandatory to minimize clock-whine."
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Maniac

I already got that one. Tho thanks for pointing me again ;-). It's more that the whole text is a kinda abra cadabra to me. I need somebody who can translate this in newbie language
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

IIRC these were designed by Paul Schreiber (MOTM), though they're not exactly his proudest achievement. It's just a short BBD delay. There may be a trimmer (or a resistor that can be replaced with a trimmer) that you can use to adjust the clock rate, and thus the delay time. This will introduce aliasing and clock noise if you make the delay time too long.

You should probably also try using a mixer or something in place of the internal feedback control. You can get a lot more control here by filtering the feedback path or or even putting additional effects in the loop.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

alright... i was already planning it to use it with a mixer to crank/eq it up a bit. I would love the artifacts of a too long delay. To me that's analog :-).
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdgh View Post
I would love the artifacts of a too long delay. To me that's analog :-).
Well, it's discrete time, so it might not be the "analog" that you have in mind.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Alright.. i'll keep it in mind! Thanks anyway tho :D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search