The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should i buy a hardware or software synth? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augsy View Post
I wouldnt just jump into hardware right away. I would buy a good solid computer, interface, monitors, and treatment first before dropping a couple grand on a synth(unless you have all of that already).
I think a Musician should first have his instrument which is in our case hardware synth. you will learn a lot of things about sound designing by working with hardware. Of course you can learn by software as well, but it takes too long and it's not fun to stare at the monitor and have the mouse in your hand for hours !!!!!
Meanwhile you have a solid keyboard with quality sounds that you can improve your playing skills. Some thing that can not be reached by computer and crappy MIDI keyboards.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmad_dehnadi View Post
I think a Musician should first have his instrument which is in our case hardware synth. you will learn a lot of things about sound designing by working with hardware. Of course you can learn by software as well, but it takes too long and it's not fun to stare at the monitor and have the mouse in your hand for hours !!!!!
Meanwhile you have a solid keyboard with quality sounds that you can improve your playing skills. Some thing that can not be reached by computer and crappy MIDI keyboards.
That is your -opinion-, you forgot to include that disclaimer.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
Actually, he started his post with the words "I think...".
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
If all one does is knit loops together none of this matters much anyway, does it?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

I love how fast threads go off topic and turn into people quote replying others just to bash what they said.
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendejo View Post
If all one does is knit loops together none of this matters much anyway, does it?
Of course not. I said a musician needs to have his instrument. I believe a Musician should play a musical instrument other wise sorting out loops in a DAW using mouse does not make a musician.

A hardware synth is a great tool for hip hop beat makers as well because it's supper easy to make beats on them.

That's my opinion !!!!!!
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac View Post
Actually, he started his post with the words "I think...".
I should have more accurately pointed out the area I believed to me more of a statement of fact.

Namely:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmad_dehnadi View Post
Of course you can learn by software as well, but it takes too long and it's not fun to stare at the monitor and have the mouse in your hand for hours !!!!!

It really was my fault for not being more clear, as he obviously did state the opening line as opinion rather than fact.

The fun part about the internet is you (and when I say "you" I mean "me") can claim in one thread that all you use is preconstructed loops, and in another claim that you have played an instrument for nearly two decades, and because no one will actually take the time to listen to any of your actual creative work and conclude for themselves the actual manner in which it was made, they are both equally as true!

On the internet, of all places in which mere words should be taken with a truckloud of salt, it's rather amazing that people will blindly follow a statement from a random stranger in spite of having actual evidence to either prove or disprove the statement sitting right before them.

Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've run EP samples on my Core2Quad at 32sample buffer and it doesn't respond as immediate as the Kronos. And most of my heavier soft synths WON'T run under a 64 sample buffer.

Anyway...if you're just concerned with end result sound quality, and don't mind tweaking--you want software...it will save you money. BUT...if you actually PLAY keyboards, software is not an inspiring thing "under the fingers", IME.

I'm getting out the checkbook to buy a Kronos88 tomorrow. Finally...a hardware keyboard that SOUNDS good enough to use on recordings. Little concerned with the fan noise...if I have to keep the thing turned off while a mic is hot in the room, I'm not keeping it, though. Funny, they used a little Atom proc so that needs no cooling...SSD, which needs no cooling...yet, it will be the first keyboard I've ever bought with a fan inside--apparently to exhaust the power supply? Eh...?
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
the infinite upgrade spiral will get you. a piece of hardware that works today will work in 20 years. the laptop will be obsolete before i finish typing this sentence.
1) a piece of hardware that works today will not necessarily work in 20 years

2) I don't know what you have against laptops but the current level of processing power in laptops is good enough to last you at least 5 years.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

To the original poster

Omnisphere is a no brainer in this situation. The computer you buy to go with it is going to do a lot more than run omnisphere for you as well and will likely be more upgradeable to the latest sounds and soft for at least the next 3 -5 years after purchase.

On the economic front - you will lose more on depreciation of a digital hardware synth than a complete write off of software's value.
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmata View Post
I'm finding it hard to make up my mind between buying a new laptop that can handle Omnisphere or a good workstation like kronos. I just love omnisphere but it always glitches out (i like to use many chanels) so it looks like i need a super fast computer to run omnisphere how i like to use it (i've got an i7 1.6ghz (virtual 8 core).....so do i spend $3400 on a kronos or spend that on a kick ass laptop that won't crash with omnisphere?
I tried the Kronos in a shop and it has an excellent sound.

But I would test it in every possible way not to have problems, which I have experienced with my ES8. The fast workflow of a workstation is unbeatable.

I also have Omnisphere running on a Macbook Pro I7, 2GHz, and yes, sometimes you may get glitches. Just render and freeze. Think like hardware. Omnisphere IS great. But a powerful workstation is very sexy too, and composing on IS WAY FASTER. PERIOD.
Old 25th September 2011
Deleted User
Im using an IBM laptop with 1gb of ram with reaper and/or nuendo. I use a few soft synths And a couple of hardware. I also use uad2 solo card and duende dsp. I record at 24/88.2. It's never a problem. I use the reaper reamote feature on a second laptop.
It's nice having many different tones and textures. The uad2 cards are mega cheap now!

So many great albums have been produced using a single workstation like an m1, o1wfd, xp series, mpc etc with good tracking and mixing in your DAW you own a piece of hardware that will always have value.

If you like omnisynth find an older version that will run best on your machine.

There's nothing like having an external synth module with sequencing capability synced to your daw. You can crunch out loops and record them on the fly. Layer in a few softsynths. Render the whole thing on tracks, open a new session an then go at mixing it with your dsp and favorite plugs.

Don't kill yourself with this anxiety. Make some music.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

The problem with Omnisphere is it streams in data while you play so if your using a laptop their is a high chance it's hard drive is not fast enough you can change the latency in your daw to compensate for not enough CPU power. I use U-HE Zebra in some channels just to ease up on the CPU and hard drive.

I would not use a laptop you can't upgrade much and the CPU is down clocked to save power. Build a PC and get a third party cooler like a coolermaster for the CPU and overclock it my i7 2.6 Ghz runs at 3.5Ghz
with 20c spare at max temps before the safty kicks in. Those i7 procerssors are wasted with no overclocking. make sure you turn off all that energy saving crap that down clocks it. Even on a desktop Win 7 will down clock it to save power.

Hardware synths are for live bands.
Software and computers are for making up music at home or in the studio.

Once you choose a DAW and have a powerfull computer and a decent midi controller you can just keep filling up your hard drive with what ever software synth or rompler takes your fancy. I was going to buy a Korg workstation two years ago the Korg forums advised me not to, I am so glad I took their advice.

There are a lot of software synths that are no where near as good as hardware synths and thats why they all get a bad rep. The ones listed below output extreamly high quality sounds demoed all software synths before I baught those you can't go wrong with them.

Omnisphere
Trilian
Electri6ity
U-he Zebra
Slate Digital Drums
Soundtoys Native

Above list gives you far more possiblities than a £2000 hardware workstation. With those above I have nothing in my way I could make any music from metal to pop to TV music. The Zebra synth is programmable and offers better sound quality than anything you can find in a hardware synth.
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I just bought my first bit of outboard gear after a year and a half of writing music.... a moog voyager from another GS member. it is... AWESOME. highly highly recommend getting a hardware synth, i honestly learned more about synthesis and even workflow in one day than a month of pointing and clicking. getting an analogue: best decision ever. but that's me
Old 25th September 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom75 View Post
The problem with Omnisphere is it streams in data while you play so if your using a laptop their is a high chance it's hard drive is not fast enough you can change the latency in your daw to compensate for not enough CPU power. I use U-HE Zebra in some channels just to ease up on the CPU and hard drive.

Hardware synths are for live bands.
Software and computers are for making up music at home or in the studio.

Once you choose a DAW and have a powerfull computer and a decent midi controller you can just keep filling up your hard drive with what ever software synth or rompler takes your fancy. I was going to buy a Korg workstation two years ago the Korg forums advised me not to, I am so glad I took their advice.

There are a lot of software synths that are no where near as good as hardware synths and thats why they all get a bad rep. The ones listed below output extreamly high quality sounds demoed all software synths before I baught those you can't go wrong with them.

Omnisphere
Trilian
Electri6ity
U-he Zebra
Slate Digital Drums
Soundtoys Native

Above list gives you far more possiblities than a £2000 hardware workstation. With those above I have nothing in my way I could make any music from metal to pop to TV music. The Zebra synth is programmable and offers better sound quality than anything you can find in a hardware synth.

Really?? Btw ....
Attached Thumbnails
Should i buy a hardware or software synth?-imageuploadedbygearslutz1316912560.548110.jpg  
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
BUT...if you actually PLAY keyboards, software is not an inspiring thing "under the fingers", IME.
You are absolutely right. If you play keys, it's nothing like hardware in the studio. "You Track with what You Gig with". That's why a lot platinum producers still drag hardware in to the studio.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think you guys are both rather wrong in your generalizations about people who "PLAY" their keyboards.

I've played the piano every year of my life since I was six years old, all but three of those in an educational setting, and I absolutely adore software instruments.

Old 25th September 2011
Gear Addict

I like to have a mono hardware synth just to do bass with. I find a bass line will need alot of tweaking to get it to sit right(with the kick), and its much easier with a hardware synth VS a VST.

I couldnt live without my voyager
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear
I have first gen mac pro 2,6 quad and it's not current at all. Handles tons of modern productions. Only bottleneck is recording at 88.2 with tons of plugs and VI it can bottle neck a little at 27 tracks, but I can always bounce, freeze or open logic in 64 bit mode if most plugs are 64 bit which they are getting there as of recent. It can still be a bit annoying for projects when I just want get in there and write, but have to process stuff till it works again at the 27 track mark. Now if ableton went 64 bit rewire into logic I'd be all good I;m just going to wait for waves and ableton to be 64 bit and buy a little more ram. A lot cheaper option for me as of now.

Cool thing about analog is one it's sound, but that's debatable. And the option to save processing power, not update every few years and take advantage of a high end outboard if you have it. I have some API,rosetta conversion and Great river pres and I love to take advantage of those in any way before going software, but it's not always a option as it is with my guitars, bass and mics do to my lack of analog synths. I agree with the top poster that having a mono analog synth for bass as a foundation is a great way to go if using both itb and otb. My next buy will probably be something hardware for bass lines running into my API pre and midi in all my past sequences.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

And it handles 88.2 without VIs fine, right? Sample based VIs have to do real time upsampling to live inside a high Rez project-which means they use way more CPU, and in my experience, have audible side effects.

Side note...why don't you get someone to play bass? Are bass players that annoying?

About the above generalization...sorry-just what it is. A generalization by definition is "wrong" sometimes. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 25th September 2011
Deleted User
Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. "Generalization" as a phenomenon is the cornerstone of science. It is that which is generalized that may or may not be wrong, not generalization itself.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search