The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB MICROZWERG - hear it in action!!!
Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MFB MICROZWERG - hear it in action!!!

Ladies & Gentlemen... heh

I just bought this amazing, tiny little synth and wanted to share some audio impressions and pics. To me this dwarf sounds better than that damn basic Doepfer A-100 system with standard LFO,VCF,VCO,VCA...-modules that I had and sold. The MFB is a bargain, it costs just 369.-€. It's so tiny that you can place it on every MIDI-controller keyboard or beside your computer keyboard. And last but not least it's pretty versatile for its size.

This MFB dwarf made me really smile, it's pure fun! I made these demo tracks/sounds with only one Microzwerg, even the chords in the tune. I know there is too much reverb in the tune, but who cares!? Except for the demo tune all other tracks were only mixed with some reverb and delay, no EQ, no limiter, just normalized.

Reverb - ValhallaRoom
Delay - Echoboy
MP3 - 192 khz

Attached Files

MFB_Demo_Song.mp3 (1.67 MB, 3867 views)

MFB_LP.BP.Notch.HP.mp3 (3.12 MB, 2730 views)

MFB_VCF_Bass.mp3 (3.12 MB, 2754 views)

MFB_PWM_Bass.mp3 (3.26 MB, 2453 views)

MFB_VCF_Res1.mp3 (3.12 MB, 2071 views)

MFB_VCF_Res2.mp3 (3.26 MB, 1791 views)

MFB_Sync.mp3 (3.12 MB, 2053 views)

MFB_LFO_Noise.mp3 (3.12 MB, 1974 views)

MFB_LFO1.mp3 (2.81 MB, 1887 views)

MFB_LFO2.mp3 (4.11 MB, 1760 views)

Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
that sounds really good mate... Any chance I could get a couple wav files of cool sounds from you?
Old 13th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sounds awesome
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sounds great. Hows the build quality. Only downside to MFB is that people say they seem 'cheaply' made.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi Gras View Post
sounds great. Hows the build quality. Only downside to MFB is that people say they seem 'cheaply' made.
I've got a MFB Synth Lite II, same case, knobs etc and it's fine. I read somewhere that the pots are the same ones Korg use on Electribes. As long as you're not drop kicking it down a flight of stairs it's sturdy enough.

These demos sound fantastic, I was trying not to buy one but I might just have to.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I agree. I have a Microzwerg and its a no brainer for someone who want to dip their toe into analogue...its not high end-but it sounds decent and powerful as well as being fun for such a small box...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great demos!

I've had a Microzwerg practically since the day it came out. I'm very happy with it.

It sounds very good (as you can hear from these demos) and is very versatile. It also is by no means badly built or noisy, as I have read on this forum about other MFB products. One of the first things I noticed about it was that the knobs are exactly the same as those on my Korg Radias, so maybe the pots are too...

This piece is also mostly Microzwerg:

Micromusic by DanielB
Old 13th August 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Finally an audible demo, it's interesting to hear the timbre and characteristics of the Microzwerg. It does sound quite analog, not as raw as my SE1x but still clean and punchy.

I've been looking at adding a portable, lightweight analog synth to my live setup.. something that I can output midi seq's from a launchpad too, and throw in a backpack when transporting. I think the Microzwerg coupled with the DSI Tetra will work nicely for live, using the Tetra for its polyphony to run chords and pads.

I found this review on the MFB Synth Lite a few weeks ago, this guy was shocked to see what was in the guts of it after opening one up.. Hopefully this is not the case with the Microzwerg!

MFB Synth Lite
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by romadose View Post
I think the Microzwerg coupled with the DSI Tetra will work nicely ...

In this piece, there are two bass lines; the main one is Mopho, the second, very deep one is Microzwerg:

Metal by DanielB

The rest of it is JP8000, Radias and TX802.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I agree. I have a Microzwerg and its a no brainer for someone who want to dip their toe into analogue...its not high end-but it sounds decent and powerful as well as being fun for such a small box...

What separates this from the high end besides price?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post
In this piece, there are two bass lines; the main one is Mopho, the second, very deep one is Microzwerg:

Metal by DanielB

The rest of it is JP8000, Radias and TX802.

D.
Cool man, the microzwerg sounds decent. I'd like to hear how it goes at running deep 'techno' basslines.

Anyone got any demo's of the microzwerg running 5ths or 7ths sequences?

If the envelopes are snappy enough this could be cool to use for synthetic percussion lines also.
Old 13th August 2011
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
How do it do compared to the Dark Energy? That's the one I always consider getting when I have a bee in my bonnet about getting a semi modular.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
How do it do compared to the Dark Energy? That's the one I always consider getting when I have a bee in my bonnet about getting a semi modular.

I can't compare it directly, since I only have the Microzwerg.

It is much more full featured, since it has two VCOs and two multimode filters. The latter, I think, makes it pretty much unique.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by romadose View Post
Finally an audible demo, it's interesting to hear the timbre and characteristics of the Microzwerg. It does sound quite analog, not as raw as my SE1x but still clean and punchy.

I've been looking at adding a portable, lightweight analog synth to my live setup.. something that I can output midi seq's from a launchpad too, and throw in a backpack when transporting. I think the Microzwerg coupled with the DSI Tetra will work nicely for live, using the Tetra for its polyphony to run chords and pads.

I found this review on the MFB Synth Lite a few weeks ago, this guy was shocked to see what was in the guts of it after opening one up.. Hopefully this is not the case with the Microzwerg!

MFB Synth Lite

That's concerning. But the synth lite is promoted as DCO, was it first promoted as VCO?

Has anybody opened a microzwerg?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapiBlack View Post
That's concerning. But the synth lite is promoted as DCO, was it first promoted as VCO?

MFB have used VCOs from the original MFB Synth 1 onwards. The DCOs (actually completely digital) were a way of getting the cost right down on the Lite synths and they sound fine to me on my Synth Lite II. Obviously they're not the same as VCOs but they are musically useful. Giving MFB the benefit of the doubt, I think having VCO on the legending of the Lite I was either an oversight or a translation issue.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
MFB have used VCOs from the original MFB Synth 1 onwards. The DCOs (actually completely digital) were a way of getting the cost right down on the Lite synths and they sound fine to me on my Synth Lite II. Obviously they're not the same as VCOs but they are musically useful. Giving MFB the benefit of the doubt, I think having VCO on the legending of the Lite I was either an oversight or a translation issue.
The Microzwerg definitely takes a few minutes to settle down after you turn it on. This would not happen with DCOs, so I have no doubt that they are VCOs in there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a Kraftzwerg, which I love. My only complaint is that the filter is noisy.

If you are just using the synth normally, with the amp-envelope gating bursts of sound through, you don't really notice... but if you just have it opened up, it's very noticeable. This means you can't realistically use it to filter an external audio source... as you would otherwise have been able to.

... So I'm curious to know... how is it on the Microzwerg?
Old 14th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Ive got both and they are very different. The Microzwerg is much more an immediate and versatile synth for melodic sounds and bass. Its quick and fun. However the sound is dirty and not so high end. The Osc have a slight harsh high end and the filter sounds a little rubbery and cheap. But - it is cheap so what you expect.
The DE is cleaner and less useful for melodic synth sounds IMO although it can do it - its limited by the single Osc and also Im not fond of the envelopes which I dont find very musical and also the Osc are a bit hardsh in the high end. The filter is nice tho and its good for FX...Im currently unsure about keeping the DE but for now the MZWG is a keeper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
... So I'm curious to know... how is it on the Microzwerg?
it doesnt have the filter noise if I can remember correctly...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ive got both and they are very different. The Microzwerg is much more an immediate and versatile synth for melodic sounds and bass. Its quick and fun. However the sound is dirty and not so high end. The Osc have a slight harsh high end and the filter sounds a little rubbery and cheap. But - it is cheap so what you expect.
The DE is cleaner and less useful for melodic synth sounds IMO although it can do it - its limited by the single Osc and also Im not fond of the envelopes which I dont find very musical and also the Osc are a bit hardsh in the high end. The filter is nice tho and its good for FX...Im currently unsure about keeping the DE but for now the MZWG is a keeper...

Hm, this sounds, to me, like I'd probably like the Mzwg more too. When going cheap it's more important to do it with a lot of character.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yay!

Quote:
the filter sounds a little rubbery and cheap.
Wuuw
Old 14th August 2011
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
sounds great!!
Old 14th August 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LonDonsen

love the microzwerg.

What did you use for drums though?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wuuw
Its cool - what I mean is - its not high end like with vintage/modular/more expensive stuff. For the money its a steal - I think its a no brainer really.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapiBlack View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock
Giving MFB the benefit of the doubt, I think having VCO on the legending of the Lite I was either an oversight or a translation issue.
FWIW:

Analogue Haven clearly states that the Synth Lite II has digital oscillators.

They don't have a microzwerg though, and so don't say anything about that.

They do say that the Synth II and others have analogue oscillators.
Old 28th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeggmanX View Post
FWIW:

They don't have a microzwerg though, and so don't say anything about that.

i have a microzwerg it's analogue and VCO as it takes 5mins or so to settle down.

Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
5 min warmup time - the drifty SOBin' VCO's in the Synth II are the same way. It doesn't suffer from the same issues as in the review where the guy opened up a Synth II Lite.

In regards to MFB build quality, it looks/feels cheezy, but it's not about to fall apart on you anytime soon. I've been worried by the feel of the knobs/buttons but it has held up. But noisy, the filter/osc's are a little weak, the noise generator is a lot weak, and overall the synth is not 100% stable.
Still for the money, nice stuff.
Old 29th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I have a Kraftzwerg, which I love. My only complaint is that the filter is noisy.
How are to oscillators on that? I'm thinking of getting one as I want the 3 oscillator outs - the modular needs to be fed heh
Old 29th March 2012
Lives for gear

I fear the build quality, i have had the synth lite 2, and some of the eurorack modules and was not impressed with the build quality.
Old 7th July 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
...anyone thinking of buying a Microzwerg should buy one right now.

MFB have stopped making them... I spoke to MFB and they say they will have a Microzwerg-II in around 2-3 months, but that it will use different chipset and it will sound different... and cost at least 40EUR more... (it could of course be much 'better' and be worth the wait and extra cost... or...)

So if you want one, hurry, both MFB and Thomann have already sold out...
Old 7th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That was bad a$$. I was curious about this unit.
OP: Nice sounds, indeed.
πŸ“ Reply