Old 7th July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjporter View Post
Only synth I've bought that was a horrible disappointment:
MFB Microzwerg
YMMV
I just read your Microzwerg review, and I have to say that I agree with practically none of it. It seriously made me wonder whether either there is something wrong with your synth, or whether you don't know how to use it, or any other analogue synth. The fact that you prefer the Juno Di (and there's nothing wrong with that) indicates that the latter. The fact that you don't seem to be able to get rid of the LFO modulation may indicate the former.

I had never noticed that the labeling on the LFO rate knobs is wrong. Personally I think it's hilarious.

Basically I love the Microzwerg. I've had it since more or less the first day they came out (mine is serial no 7) and will not be getting rid of it. I recently found myself with three analogue mono synths, which is too many, so I sold my Mopho and kept the Microzwerg.
Old 7th July 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Re: "The fact that you don't seem to be able to get rid of the LFO modulation...." It is possible to interpret the phasing effect you get from two LFO's de tuned (with/without different waveforms) as the LFO interfering.

Additionally from the manual: "Shift/OneShot (LFO): Activates control for the output (VCA). With the LED lit, the modulation routing to the VCA is active, with
the LED unlit, the modulation is inactive. Use OneShot to toggle between the two states.

Shift/Wave (LFO): Activates modulation control for the LFOs speed (Rate). With the right LED lit (S/H), the modulation routing is active. With the left LED lit (^), the modulation is inactive. Use Wave to toggle between the two states. The assignment is done separately for both LFOs. Before assign the modulation routing, select LFO1 or LFO2 using Shift. Subsequently, hold Shift to assign the modulation as described."

If this has been tried and doesn't work you may have a duff unit. HTH.

Re: the 4, 5, 5, 7 - I think it's hilarious too, re: the angled MIDI port... really... that annoyed you?!

Re: getting mono-sythns to sit nicely (in the mix) - yes this can be a problem. Remember the preset sounds in all synths/modules have been designed to 'fit in' based on their role/personality (eg a pad melts in, a lead pushes in) - so careful sound design is primary. Additionally the knob-options presented on an all-in-one (eg a Roland keyboard/synth) will be engineered to be user-friendly, and hard-wired in a series to prevent too many accidents - often not the case with (esp modular) mono-synths.

Also, don't forget that the post-production mixing (applying track and group: EQ, effects, compression et al) is often more than half of the effort to get to a finished track - time spent here reaps huge rewards to get all voices to play nicely!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post
I just read your Microzwerg review, and I have to say that I agree with practically none of it. It seriously made me wonder whether either there is something wrong with your synth, or whether you don't know how to use it, or any other analogue synth. The fact that you prefer the Juno Di (and there's nothing wrong with that) indicates that the latter. The fact that you don't seem to be able to get rid of the LFO modulation may indicate the former.

I had never noticed that the labeling on the LFO rate knobs is wrong. Personally I think it's hilarious.

Basically I love the Microzwerg. I've had it since more or less the first day they came out (mine is serial no 7) and will not be getting rid of it. I recently found myself with three analogue mono synths, which is too many, so I sold my Mopho and kept the Microzwerg.
So we finally meet - I read a number of your posts both here & elsewhere when researching the Microzwerg, & I know that you are a great fan of it. Wish I could have had the same pleasurable experience with this synth as you have had.

Analogue, VA, rompler, a filter is a filter, and simply the filter on mine was rubbish.
m.o
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think you (tjporter) would've had a better time with a Dark Energy, I have both and to me the DE is more direct, more 'musical' with larger sweet spots.

The microswerg has a lot more/better specs on paper, but it is sometimes kind of hard to get to.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjporter View Post
So we finally meet - I read a number of your posts both here & elsewhere when researching the Microzwerg, & I know that you are a great fan of it. Wish I could have had the same pleasurable experience with this synth as you have had.

Analogue, VA, rompler, a filter is a filter, and simply the filter on mine was rubbish.
Hi,

I suppose I am a bit of a fan. I tend to get rid of stuff that I don't like or don't use, and the Microzwerg is still here.

Mine does have one "feature" which I suspect may be a problem with my individual unit - the PWM makes an annoying noise when set to more than about 50%. You can hear it most with low notes with the filter almost closed. I never bothered to do anything about it because I have other synths with better sounding PWM ...

Today I spent some time trying to make the Microzwerg sound like my Slim Phatty, and failed miserably. I had more success making the Radias sound like the Moog than the Microzwerg. This is a good thing - I like varied sound sources.

Anyway, I'm not going to try to persuade you to like the Microzwerg. However, I don't really see how you can describe the filter as "rubbish". It is either working differently to what you expect (don't forget you have two filters and the interval between them is set with the "Space" knob), or there is a fault in your machine.

Rgds,

D.
Old 7th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just mis-read Mickerzwerg –Freud calling
Old 7th October 2012
0e0
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
just purchased mine last month.. finally had a day to use it..and i really like it. it's got a roland-esque character. the key is also not driving the filter so much (you can lower the overall volume with a CC mod msg).. it definitely can deliver a vintage tone that i don't find in a lot of new analog synths (new moogs, minibrute, mopho etc).

I'm curious about the new SED filter that MFB will be offering..but i'm really happy with my Microzwerg.

The demos by the OP really helped with my decisions...infact ther eis a distinct difference in quality you find in a lot of the Demos for the Microzwerg that you don't here in the Kraftzwerg etc. for the money i paid (approx $420 cdn). it's a great synth!

a really great value by MFB!

j

0=0
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

new version is out...same inside but updated case

Old 7th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I really like the look of it, but I can't justify that price for the limited amount of controls. This does look slightly more durable than a lot of things I see from MFB.
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber_tron View Post
I really like the look of it, but I can't justify that price for the limited amount of controls. This does look slightly more durable than a lot of things I see from MFB.
But look at all those patch points. I'd say its one of the more flexible VCO synths at that price.
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love the way it sounds!
Old 8th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post
But look at all those patch points. I'd say its one of the more flexible VCO synths at that price.
This is true, it could act as my introduction to modular gear too. I'll look into some of the demos after its done the rounds and see how my bank account is doing. Add some outboard processing and it'll be a nice addition for my ambient work.
Old 8th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i wish they had better distribution in the states.
Old 25th October 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi everyone! Love videos of microzwerg and how it's sounds. I have maybe a lame question but it's important for me to know. Is microzwerg true analog synth? or it has some digital parts ?

thanx!
Old 25th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
it's completely analog. the only digital components relate to its midi control capabilities.
Old 29th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Apropos the Microzwerg; did you know that LFO 2 can be used as a 3rd VCO?

Via the LFO2 CV in jack you can control its frequency (pitch) via CV, and it can go very high into the audio spectrum. Almost to the top of it, in fact.

It can be controlled with a CV keyboard (e.g. Minibrute) although mine doesn't track 100% properly, or with another LFO or whatever.

In conjunction with my Moog CP251, I've made a patch that routes LFO2 into the second filter via a mixer, which results in a proper 3 VCO mono synth with variable volume levels for each one.

Altogether, I'd say that playing with the Minibrute, Slim Phatty, Microzwerg and CP251, and a bunch of patch cabes, I've come to understand the attraction of modular synths.

I really mustn't go there ...

D.
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I really like the sound of the Microzwerg, it's got a bit of an 'edge' to it. Does anyone know if the filter in the Megazwerg is the same filter? I know they are both multi mode 12db filters but I'm wondering if they have exactly the same sound.
Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Looking at the Microzwerg MKII. How is it for drum sounds? Anyone care to share?
Old 15th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO8 View Post
Looking at the Microzwerg MKII. How is it for drum sounds? Anyone care to share?
I managed to coax a kick drum out of it but my synthesis skills aren't super hot.

There's a few good microzwerg only demos on youtube. I'll have a look later.
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone else who managed to get good drums out of the MKII?
Old 20th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO8 View Post
Anyone else who managed to get good drums out of the MKII?
Nice demo here

Cloudy Music - Microzwerg - YouTube
Old 6th December 2017
Here for the gear

Super late to this thread...

I am a newbie also, but I am super fascinated by the sound of Microzwerg, Megazwerg and Kraftzwerg... They are hard to find but i am into grittier sound (ebm, krafty, industrial, post punk, techno). The sound is quite unique and organic from them but I can't tell the different among them. Kraftzwerg and Megazwerg are older but seem to have more features.

I am wondering what do you think about the comparision among them three mentioned above? I don't mind spending more to get better quality and more features. or is Microzwerg sufficient ? Or Should I go after the new Dominion Club?
Old 7th December 2017 | Show parent
0e0
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanogram_ng View Post
I am wondering what do you think about the comparision among them three mentioned above? I don't mind spending more to get better quality and more features. or is Microzwerg sufficient ? Or Should I go after the new Dominion Club?

Microzwerg has a way better tone than the Kraftzwerg in my opinion..the Kraftzwerg 2 is closer tonally to the Microzwerg.

the MZ has an old Roland tone at 24dB..but can do SEM sounds but also get to distorted MS20 territories.

I own the Microzwerg and i dont think i would ever sell it. IF you can afford it..get a Dominion. One I hope to get the keyboard version.

j

0=0
πŸ“ Reply