The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Not buying a CS-80
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not buying a CS-80

I've been mulling it, but they're really expensive and heavy and difficult to repair, even though they sound great. But, too big and heavy for what I would use it for without throwing out some other synths I would use more. But I know you were all waiting with bated breath about what I would do with the CS-80 and I decided no and figured this was worth a new thread so you could all know that I decided not to deal with the shipping and repairs.

So, to be clear, I have decided not to pursue a Yamaha CS-80 for now. But if I consider it more later I will be sure to let you all know!
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the cs-80 is such a tempting beast isn't it? I was kind of lusting one for a while too, but yeah it's just too much of a monster and I don't care enough about the sound to want one. At the prices they go for I'd rather a PS-3x00 I think.
Old 25th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Perfect timing, NWSooner! I have also decided not to buy a CS-80, and I was going to start a new thread to let everyone know, but now I can just piggyback on yours. Yeah, they're great and all, but they don't have MIDI, so I'm not really sure how I'd use it. It's not the money. I could afford to buy three of four. But like I said, no MIDI, no deal.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share your thread.

heh
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the piano sounds are **** anyway.

on the CS80, that is, not the PS.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero ➑️
the cs-80 is such a tempting beast isn't it? I was kind of lusting one for a while too, but yeah it's just too much of a monster and I don't care enough about the sound to want one. At the prices they go for I'd rather a PS-3x00 I think.
I think you kinda missed the point Xero. But your synth list is the closest to me of anybody here; surprising how many synths we have in common. Though you will be jealous when I get my shipment from Georgia for the July new gear thread.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh s*** mate. Sorry to hear that.

I'm not buying a Synclavier. And an Oberheim Matrix 12.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa ➑️
Perfect timing, NWSooner! I have also decided not to buy a CS-80
Perhaps we could work out a group no-buy!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSooner ➑️
Or we could put up a new stickie thread where people can list the synths they've decided not to buy. I think it would have a decent chance of surpassing the number of posts in the Jupiter 80 thread by early 2013.
Deleted 2ecf148
you can get plug ins these days anyway
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa ➑️
Or we could put up a new stickie thread where people can list the synths they've decided not to buy. I think it would have a decent chance of surpassing the number of posts in the Jupiter 80 thread by early 2013.
I don't think that stickie would work unless they first posted threads about what they WERE going to buy. So we could have the context. I mean... if I said I wasn't going to buy an ARP 2600 that wouldn't mean jack **** would it? Because I already have one. But if I look you straight in the face, steely-eyed, and say "I will NOT buy a Jupiter 80" you would be pretty freaked out, true? And then, if I followed THAT up with: "I will NOT buy a Jupiter 8 even though Don Solaris dared me to" your eyes would pop out of your head? Amirite?

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
just like to come in at this point to let you all know that i wont be buying a blaster beam. these things are as big as a car and a nightmare to tune. that plus no midi really nail the coffin lid shut. i dont really make much epic space adventure music anyway so instead i just went for a shoe box and a couple of rubber bands that the postman had left in the street
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

+1 for the group no buy.

I'm also not buying a midi cable today... maybe I should start a new thread on that topic so we don't derail this one. heh

-andrews
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➑️
+1 for the group no buy.
Ok, someone needs to find out where the price break is for not buying. So we know how many we need in the group to not buy this stuff. We're looking pretty good so far, unless someone wants a CS-80 or a Minimoog.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think you kinda missed the point Xero. But your synth list is the closest to me of anybody here; surprising how many synths we have in common. Though you will be jealous when I get my shipment from Georgia for the July new gear thread.
you think so? hmm what do we have in common according to the analog synths page, prophet 5 w/midi, whiteface ody (mine's acting up though), and mks-80...

you have a voyetra 8 though, thats one I want but don't have, i was offered one a few months ago but passed, I don't really have the cash ( i say that but i just bought a sdd-320 and svc-350 lol, oh well, they were higher on my priority list...new synths are low on the list atm, i really want sequencers now)

uh oh new shipment huh? hah, now i'm curious. if you really want to compare our tastes, here's my current prioritized "to buy" list, if what you have coming is on this list, i'd be quite curious :P

1 sequentix cirklon
1 moon m569
1 5u modular
2 sbf-325
2 Jupiter 4
2 sre-555
3 Korg Trident mk2
3 Lexicon PCM-70
3 Eventide H3000
3 nord lead 2x
4 korg ex-8000
4 MemoryMoog Plus
4 minimoog
5 microwave XT
5 voyetra eight
5 Elka Synthex
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not buyin' it. Don't know why, there's just something fishy about it all. The group not-buy thing...... I dunno, what's the reserve? Are they not in good shape? How's the unboxing to be done? Or boxing, for that matter?

I box, I unbox; I box, I unbox; and yet nothing changes. The world still rotates on its axis. And Steve Jobs still doesn't know the difference after all these years between it's, contraction of it is, and its, possessive. Because I have to tap the stupid blue x every time I wanna say its.

Some things will never change. I like the CS-80 patch on my A6 well enough.

Where is Steve Wright when you need him?!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➑️
Where is Steve Wright when you need him?!
He's still rolling out that 1:1 map last I checked.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dam you Gearslutz. I didnt buy a CS80 on Ebay the other day and now this group no buy comes up.
With the group no buy can I not buy 4 CS80s or is it 1 no buy per person ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➑️
Some things will never change. I like the CS-80 patch on my A6 well enough.
!
The A6 patch cant sound like a CS80. The A6 is too modern. Everyone post your CS80 patches so I can ignore them, please .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
you think so? hmm what do we have in common according to the analog synths page, prophet 5 w/midi, whiteface ody (mine's acting up though), and mks-80...

you have a voyetra 8 though, thats one I want but don't have, i was offered one a few months ago but passed, I don't really have the cash ( i say that but i just bought a sdd-320 and svc-350 lol, oh well, they were higher on my priority list...new synths are low on the list atm, i really want sequencers now)

uh oh new shipment huh? hah, now i'm curious. if you really want to compare our tastes, here's my current prioritized "to buy" list, if what you have coming is on this list, i'd be quite curious :P

1 sequentix cirklon
1 moon m569
1 5u modular
2 sbf-325
2 Jupiter 4
2 sre-555
3 Korg Trident mk2
3 Lexicon PCM-70
3 Eventide H3000
3 nord lead 2x
4 korg ex-8000
4 MemoryMoog Plus
4 minimoog
5 microwave XT
5 voyetra eight
5 Elka Synthex
Hmm. Perhaps we don't have as much in common as I thought. The Elka Synthex is the lowest priority of your list? Anyway, I agree, we don't share much in common as far as the to-do list goes. Of your entire list I would stop to check out the Synthex and Memorymoog. And the Voyetra Eight if you were excited enough to give programming it a shot.

Pretty sure you will be jealous of my 2800 though....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hmm. Perhaps we don't have as much in common as I thought. The Elka Synthex is the lowest priority of your list? Anyway, I agree, we don't share much in common as far as the to-do list goes. Of your entire list I would stop to check out the Synthex and Memorymoog. And the Voyetra Eight if you were excited enough to give programming it a shot.

Pretty sure you will be jealous of my 2800 though....
its the lowest priority not because I don't like it, but because it costs a crapton and I'd rather the other stuff first before dishing out that much for yet another DCO synth with chorus (i have like, 3-4 already), albeit the grand-daddy of DCO synths with choruses. Often times lower priority stuff will get knocked off the list early simply cause I found a good deal on it and/or it's just cheap enough that I can afford it whenever. The priority is based on both financial and desire related factors.

soo, did you get lumina done to your 2800? I really need to prioritize THAT on my list, as that's gonna cost me just as much as half the things on that list :P

i still maintain i'm one of the biggest roland sluts here, I think there's a few challengers, but I'm a HUGE roland slut. thus why there's probably always something roland on my list. I really want a system 100m, but don't know if i will ever do it. 5u modular is priority at the moment.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
its the lowest priority not because I don't like it, but because it costs a crapton and I'd rather the other stuff first before dishing out that much for yet another DCO synth with chorus (i have like, 3-4 already), albeit the grand-daddy of DCO synths with choruses. I already have a bunch of em.
You already have choruses better?

Quote:
soo, did you get lumina done to your 2800? I really need to prioritize THAT on my list, as that's gonna cost me just as much as half the things on that list :P
Well, I might tell you if you help me. I'm thinking about buying a Minimoog. I already have an SE-1X which I think sounds better than a Voyager, but I'm thinking that other people like the Voyager, so maybe I should get that? Or, maybe I should play the Voyager and see what people say? Or maybe I should blow off the Voyager and SE-1X and just order a Minimoog from eBay and see what happens? Or... I don't know. Maybe it needs a new thread...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I was offered one a few months ago but passed, I don't really have the cash
You better let me know next time or things are about to get ugly up in here!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry for being so late into this thread: The "group-no-buy" killed it! Where do I sign up?
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➑️
Curious to know what other synths you would use more, and how you could know that until you actually HAD a CS-80.
Good question. Do you find certain things funny or did Rain Man seem like a PBS documentary?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
how does the sound compare to say a 2004 motif ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm in for the group no buy too!!! In these days it's hard to get a discount on what I'm not buying.heh
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I had a CS80 but it was too heavy to carry around the local Starbucks and pose with, so I sold it an got 35 iPads.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
dont worry guys ill buy it
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If I were to buy a CS80, how long should I own it without playing it before I decide if I like it? Is a month sufficient, or does it depend on how may Youtube videos I watch?

And can anyone post some good patches that I shouldn't try?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey guys I have good news for you all,

today I won't be putting a CS-80 on ebay for auction. I'm not sure what price I won't be asking, it all depends on how many people don't want to buy it.

You can pm me for pictures but I won't be sending them.

Feel free to ask any questions
πŸ“ Reply