The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Seriously Considering a MiniMoog Model D Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Seriously Considering a MiniMoog Model D

In a way, this is a Model D vs Voyager thread, but please bear with me.

1. After hearing several audio clips of the Model D, Voyager and Minimax, I am thoroughly convinced that the Model is much fatter than the Voyager. I've got a used Voyager on order and it should be here early next week.

A licensing check came sooner than expected and now I have the opportunity to get a Model D. Before, the cost made it out of my reach. getting it would be a stretch, though, but I can do it.

I am not a synthesis guy; I am a total noob. I do plan to learn, though. How steep is the learning curve on a Model D? I understand the Voyager does come with presets to at least help me get started.

2. I absolutely must have MIDI. If I got the Model D, I would obviously need a MIDI mod, like right away. Are they expensive? Reliable? I would want MIDI in and MIDI out.

I understand that the Voyager has more oscillator options, etc. Again, I'm not a synth guy. Maybe I don't need all of that.

is there any way to get the Voyager to sound as fat as the Model D? with additional outboard gear or something? I think there is a Moog product that is compatible with the Voyager.

the other thing I am considering is keeping the Voyager and getting a used Prophet 8. This will go with my Virus Polar and Korg MS 2000.

Thanks.

edit: anybody have a MiniMoog they want to sell?
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

I am confused. If you are a noob then why do you have a virus ti and looking at a minimoog? If I was in your possition then I would not go with the model d. Stick to the new synths. You dont want to deal with cv, well not yet. Anyways i got off track. Get the voyager.
Old 11th June 2011
Nev
Lives for gear

I have a extremely great condition Model D for sale, send me a msg. Eastcoast USA area. Can have it delivered locally in quite a few states.
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahbrown View Post
I am confused. If you are a noob then why do you have a virus ti and looking at a minimoog? If I was in your possition then I would not go with the model d. Stick to the new synths. You dont want to deal with cv, well not yet. Anyways i got off track. Get the voyager.
I like the sound of the Mini. Still, I could probably get by with the Voyager and hopefully a Prophet 8.
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

As far as being new to synthesis, I think the Moog Model D is about as perfet as it gets to learn on... it really is THE fundamentals of synthesis all laid out right in front of you.

And I while I encourage you to read up on basic synthesis, I also can say that with the Moog, just start turning knobs and you'll quickly get what does what.

Lastly, if you learn on the Moog, the basics apply almost to any synth (at the very least, it's a fantastic spring board).

I'm curious though... specifically what did you find preferable from the Model D to the Voyager? (Absolutely no judgement, sincerely curious what differences you're liking, etc)

Good luck!

-andrews
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
I'm curious though... specifically what did you find preferable from the Model D to the Voyager? (Absolutely no judgement, sincerely curious what differences you're liking, etc)

Good luck!

-andrews

This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooloof View Post
After hearing several audio clips of the Model D, Voyager and Minimax, I am thoroughly convinced that the Model is much fatter than the Voyager ...
I've often thought about this as well ... Since a Voyager or MiniMoog could be on my list next (or another monosynth) ... I haven't played either, so all I have are preconceptions ...

I would never buy either until I played them both, though ...
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
This ...

I've often thought about this as well ... Since a Voyager or MiniMoog could be on my list next (or another monosynth) ... I haven't played either, so all I have are preconceptions ...

I would never buy either until I played them both, though ...
Yeah, but that doesn't answer what I was asking him, "phatter" doesn't really mean much anymore. When he says "fatter," what is he hearing.

For example (and intentionally different and NOT using adjectives so I don't put any words in his mouth) ... I have both a Neve 1073 and an API 525 (or Pacifca for that matter), both I'd say are "fat," but each have VERY different sounds.

If that makes sense.

-a
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

I know you have additional questions ... anybody would ... I do think the first answer gives some insight though ... no?
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

to answer the question: the audio clips I heard were from 3 different machines with the same patches. They sounded better in the Moog D every time. As for "fatter", the D just has a bigger sound. I don't know how to describe it any better than that. Sometimes Voyager had the same sound, but just not as robust. And of course, some of the patches were simply different, even though they were supposed to be the same.
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

What midi kits are available for the mini Moog model d?
Old 11th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
As far as being new to synthesis, I think the Moog Model D is about as perfet as it gets to learn on... it really is THE fundamentals of synthesis all laid out right in front of you.

And I while I encourage you to read up on basic synthesis, I also can say that with the Moog, just start turning knobs and you'll quickly get what does what.

Lastly, if you learn on the Moog, the basics apply almost to any synth (at the very least, it's a fantastic spring board).
This ^^^
Old 11th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuez View Post
What midi kits are available for the mini Moog model d?
Kevin Lightner does a midi kit that replaces the contact bars and offers wireless in/out as well But its hell expensive $595 + installation.

But you do get added benefits like no contact bars...
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, it's a Classic with reason. Well laid out. Reliable. Sounds great. Relatively simple in a good way meaning you don't get lost which is a bonus especially on stage (although I did once do half a solo a semitone down without noticing but this says more about me than the minimoog)
I say grab one.
One thing I would offer up is that the ARP Odyssey is a different beast but it has a lot more in the way of features if you need them (S&H, RingMod, Hi Pass filter, PWM, duophonic) and is more affordable, but more complex to use.
Old 11th June 2011
midi kit warning:

i used one with a midi kit which bypassed the mod wheel!

anyone familiar with the D will know you need that for synthesis, not just for performance. it would only work over midi, which wasnt much of a problem for me because i had it all connected via midi and my master keyboard was right there. so i used the masters mod wheel to dial in fm etc. this did mean that i couldnt use glide. which pissed me off somewhat.

this was a kenton midi fit, but from what i underdtand from kenton the fit can be bypassed with a switch. which was true, except the mod wheel wouldn't do a thing. i actually think it was due to a poor installation rather than the kit itself but the point is:

midi isn't always the answer.

i'd be just as happy with a CV minimoog. this idea that midi is somehow easier than CV is not always the case. in fact the concept of control voltage is super simple. the only downside is the extra expence of the midi->cv / audio->cv interface. once you have that interface, connection is easy and cheap.

also as said, the minimoogs control serface is an extremely elegant design. a very good synth to learn the concepts of synthesis.

plus it sounds like the dogs bollocks
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

thanks to all for posting so far. Here's my deal: I sequence everything from my MPC (via midi). I want to control the Moog like my other synths. If I tweak any knobs (filters, etc.) I would want those parameter changes recorded in the sequence. If I get the Moog modded, can I get this type of control?

in other words, does the Moog become like any other synth, as far as midi is concerned? Based on some stuff I've read, it seems like maybe there is not full midi control for the Moog. I guess I am really asking, is there anything I can do (midi-wise) on the Voyager that I can't do with the Moog? Thanks.
Old 11th June 2011
Gear Guru

No. It's a synth from way before MIDI so unless you add patch points and make it semimodular with SilentWay added to what you want to control, forget it. Just record the audio with your knob tweaks.

As far as I know even the Studio Electronics Midimini doesn't give you full control.

If you want full automation then you need the Voyager. Sorry heh

To make the Mini play back automation otherwise means that you essentially have to rebuild it from scratch and add digital control to every parameter.
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
No. It's a synth from way before MIDI so unless you add patch points and make it semimodular with SilentWay added to what you want to control, forget it. Just record the audio with your knob tweaks.

As far as I know even the Studio Electronics Midimini doesn't give you full control.

If you want full automation then you need the Voyager. Sorry heh

To make the Mini play back automation otherwise means that you essentially have to rebuild it from scratch and add digital control to every parameter.
thank you for the informative post. to clarify: i can't play something in the Mini, record it in my sequencer and then have it play back? what CAN you do with the midi mod? is the Silent Way mod expensive? thanks.
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Consider getting the Model D and keep the Voyager.
Even if they have the same pedigree they are somewhat different and inspiring in their own way.
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
Consider getting the Model D and keep the Voyager.
Even if they have the same pedigree they are somewhat different and inspiring in their own way.
sadly, I cannot afford to do both. Yes, I do agree they are different. I don't really think I would have a use for both (practically speaking). if I had big dough, then, sure. I would also get the little phatty in that case, too.
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

is anyone familiar with the lintronics mod

Lintronics Home Page

supposedly, this would be the answer to my prayers.
Old 11th June 2011
with a basic midi kit you get note on off and pitch bend and modulation.

with CV you also get filter controll/modulation.

just had a look at the LMc, it's great but far from your ideal of being able to control every front panel option through midi...

.. with midi anything's possible but to control every parameter of a mini-moog would be a serious modification.
Old 11th June 2011
Gear Nut

For the same price as a Minimoog Model D, I'd rather have a "baby Moog"--Prodigy, Rogue, even the MG-1, Source, Micromoog, etc., plus any kind of Eventide.
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nonjohn View Post
For the same price as a Minimoog Model D, I'd rather have a "baby Moog"--Prodigy, Rogue, even the MG-1, Source, Micromoog, etc., plus any kind of Eventide.
What about a Sonic Six?

How hard are those to find now?

The demoes on youtube are s*it. An MG-1 sounds more like a Mini Moog than the Sonic Six.
Old 12th June 2011
Unless you are a hardcore collector, I would not even consider a Model D; just go with the Voyager. If you're a noob, you will have a much more reliable, useful and flexible instrument and the sound will be phatter than anything else out there - except possibly an original Model D. With all respect to the purists, there may or may not be a material difference in sound, but it is somewhat subjective and weighed against everything else, you have a lot more options with the Voyager, including built-in MIDI and the ability to add the external expanders and make it a modular synth. I have played them both and the simple fact is that the Voyager, like the Model D, sounds amazing. Period. If you like modulation options, check out the Pot Mapping feature on the Voyager. It's a unique feature that adds capabilities no older Moog could touch. I can also attest that the Voyager oscillators seem to be a lot more stable and don't need as much warm-up time as the Model Ds I remember.

You can quickly listen to hundreds of different patches in the Voyager and tweak them with the great Moog knobs. On a Mode D, it would be difficult if not impossible for a pro, much less an amateur, to do the same thing. With a Model D, you have to re-program each sound in order to use it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Model D hater. I'd be proud to own just about anything with the Moog logo on it and I adore both my Voyager and my Source. Either way, you'll have big fun, but sometimes as the Slutz we are, we get so carried away with defining what synth is "better" we focus too much on the small differences and miss out on what really makes makes up the overall package and fits us better from a user standpoint. Apart from the above-mentioned differences in sound quality and the undeniably classic value of a Model D, it would be impossible to say that it offers more musically than a Voyager given the numerous enhancements and updates that Bob Moog made to his original Minimoog design. The important thing is to have fun! So go have fun....!

P.S. It sounds like you have some cash to spend, so the best advice I can provide is if you can afford it, get both and figure it out for yourself! Gearsluts unite!
Old 12th June 2011
if you get a minimoog, and a Kenton Pro Solo.. and few other thoughts on the matter:

1 no need for hardware modifications, it all happens in the midi-cv converter itself
2 out fo the box you can control the following: portamento type/time, loudness (vca), filter (vcf) and pitch (vco), with any parameter MIDI or MPC can provide: notes, midi cc, mod wheel etc. also kenton has 2 LFOs, which can be engaged with mod wheel or some other ctrl .. and routed to any of the three..(typically VCO but youre not limited to it). because mini has CV input control for these three at the back. as well as filter audio input for processing other things. not ultimately flexible, but good for most situations.

3 vyg does not sound like model d, in any scenario. no outboard, i.e. single-end process, can make it sound like one. it will sound like vygr processed with that outboard, which may end up cool in itself, yet still different. their differences are at the core, i.e. oscillators, then filter, then VCA. while many dismiss this as "hearing things", i don't really give a crap.. in my mind and ear, there is no doubt. when ppl label the reasoning behind this to "purism" or "analog collecting" it's the stupidest attempt at rationalising i've heard, and shows clearly they didn't use it in production on daily basis. or they don't really have the ears for the job to begin with.

now which character of the two is "better" or more suitable for any given track or synth line, or style of music if you will, is a completely different matter. nothing wrong in picking up either, or both if it suits you.

it is somewhat topic round here. so for further reading on the subject, i'd suggest using the search function.

4 "baby moogs" are a nice option in themselves, tho none replaces minis charater and girth, but.. they do have some great sounds, very desirable sounds, in their own right. my personal favs are source, multi and prodigy. each excells in different areas, and can even surpass the mini, given the application is right for them. and i don't mean with their unique features, im just relating to basic sound character.

5 as DH said, i can't imagine a simpler and better synth to start out (given one can afford it).
Old 12th June 2011
Lives for gear

My .02 ...

If you really MUST have a MINIMOOG, get one. There is no substitute. Gearlust goes beyond all logic, sense and reason.

If I were in your situation, however, I would spend a little time on the Voyager already on order first. Who knows? You might actually like the instrument once it's in the same room with you, and forget all about the Minimoog.

This is coming from someone who owns neither, I should add. I'm only tossing this in to... well, make your life more difficult! heh

Seriously though, if I had a Minimoog, I might be so passionate about it that I would recommend it over logic, sense and reason. But logic, sense and reason tell me to spend a bit of time with the Voyager first. While doing that, perhaps you could look around for someone in your area with a Minimoog you could try out in person.

The voice of logic, sense and reason.

By the way, I've just taken out a second mortgage on my flat to buy a Jupiter-8! heh
Old 12th June 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks to all the replies, especially the last one that was somewhat pro-voyager and the one that was kind of anti. both were very well articulated. Yeah, I think I'll be happy with the Voyager, BUT I WANT A MINIMOOG! A Voyager isn't really a "Moog" to me. anyway, I'm gonna have to wait, probably. I might be picking up a prophet 08 early next week. I can't afford the Moog AND the P8.

no question in my mind, though. the Model D is simply fatter than the Voyager.
Old 12th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
A Voyager isn't really a "Moog" to me.
Isn't the Voyager the last synth Bob Moog made?
Old 12th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
Isn't the Voyager the last synth Bob Moog made?
yes, but it sounds different than the Moogs of the 70s. even a noob like me can hear the difference.
Old 12th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes, but it sounds different than the Moogs of the 70s. even a noob like me can hear the difference.

It depends what sounds you want to make. There is a lot of overlap and both do things the other cant.(The Voyager can do much more than the Mini)
There is another thread where at least 2 of us could duplicate the sounds of an early Mini on our Voyagers.

That comparrison you mention isnt the best. Even the people doing it admit they could have got closer if they spent a bit more time.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search