🎧 10 years
The single manual P10 at korg R&D deparment is #0019
Old 23rd March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael488 ➡️
Excellent bit of detective work, there, mikael!
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The best way nowadays to get an SSM based P10 is to get two Rev2 P5s with Kenton MIDI. Send even notes to one and odd notes to the other...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So did they make more than eight, or were there P-5s in between serial #s?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC ➡️
I'd like to know that, too. That would set the record straight on Dave Smith's 20 or so vs. John Bowen's 8, right?

In the meantime, after half-an-hour of searching the web, I've not been able to come up with any P-10 serials in the 0500 range or higher.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt ➡️
I had #2 (double manual SSM chips)...
Was just digging around the archives of the AH list and found the message mentioning you were selling that P-10. $1200. Quite a bargain!

Would love to travel back in time and buy that off you.

On my way back from 1985, of course, with all my AAPL stock! haha
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➡️
Excellent bit of detective work, there, mikael!
Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I wish I had an exact figure to give you but it seems neither John Bowen
nor Dave Smith are certain about it. I think we can safely say that at least eight single manual P10's were produced though.

I'm pretty certain though that there were P5's in between serial numbers. IMO the fact that Dominic Milano had (has?) a P5 rev 1 with serial #0004 (according to you) is proof of that. At least two single manuals have higher s/n's than that and both of those are still around (albeit in non-working form), and at least one had a lower serial number: Joe Zawinul's single manual P10 #0002.
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wish I knew what happened to Dan Wyman's two single manual P10's. As I said previously they were in his possession up to 1981 or thereabouts when he left Sound Arts in LA (Dan was one of the founders of SA). Dan doesn't reply to my emails any more for some reason but perhaps someone else could try to email him.

Here's an excerpt from one of his old emails:
At one point I had nine black boxes (Moog modular), a triple walnut cabinet(expanded systen 55), mini moog, sonic six, Yamaha dream machine (he's probably referring to the EX-42 or CS-80 'cause I know he had both), Arp 2600, a couple of Oberheim 4-voices, and eventually, yes, 2 (not one) of the original Sequential Circuits 10 voice, single keyboard synths. All of this, before we beefed up for Apocalypse Now (bought a great deal of Emu modular).I used the Prophet 10 (not 5!) on everything from multiple Donna Summers Albums to Diana Ross, Beach Boys, (Berlin's first album) oh, dozens of sessions. However, I don't remember if the Prophet was around for anything but maybe the Fog (John Carpenter's movie). Hmmmm.. I did "Getaway" for Earth, Wind, and Fire- with the very first Sequential Circuits Digital Sequencer. That was before Dave finished the first Prophet. I did use the Prophet 10 on a film called Hell Night (as composer) along with an orchestra. As for Sequential Circuits, I did a promo track for one of their little flat page-records of a Bach fugue or something. I wish I had a copy of that. The masters are very long gone. "

all the best,

D. Wyman
Old 24th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hm... I have to say, the more I dig into this, the more confusing it gets. Here's another mystery regarding the P-10.

Based on most of the information floating around the web the switch to the side-mounted Braemar drive occurred after #1010-0329.

In this auction listing from Matrix Synth, however, there's a P-10 #0303 with the side-mounted Braemar drive!

MATRIXSYNTH: Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 SN 0303

Does this mean it was retro-fitted or that the "serial numbers 0330 and higher" statistic regarding final revision P-10s is inaccurate?

Furthermore, continued research has not turned up a single P-10 with serials higher than the 0400 range, which would mean the statistic "about 400 were made" might indeed be accurate. Granted, it could be that no one with serials 0500 and higher has ever sold his (or her) P-10 on eBay, etc. but I find that highly improbable.

Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I suspect the breamer drive on that particular P10 has been retro-fitted because it has a small Prophet 10 badge where the older drive used to be mounted.

Here's a picture of a P10 with serial #0091 and it too has the side mounted braemar drive (note also the small P10 badge):
MATRIXSYNTH: Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 analog polysynth

Afaik, the final revision of the P10 did not have a small prophet 10 badge on the front edge.

As for the total number of double manual P10's, you may well be right in that only about 500 were built.
Old 24th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I suspect the breamer drive on that particular P10 has been retro-fitted because it has a small Prophet 10 badge where the older drive used to be mounted.

Here's a picture of a P10 with serial #0091 and it too has the side mounted braemar drive (note also the small P10 badge):
MATRIXSYNTH: Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 analog polysynth

Afaik, the final revision of the P10 did not have a small prophet 10 badge on the front edge.
Ah, very clever, Mr. Holmes!
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just had a chat with former SCI employee Stanley Jungleib about the double manual P10
and to the best of his recollection not much more than 500, if that, were made.
Old 26th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero ➡️
i think the jupiter 4 was like that too, although i've definitely heard they can go out of tune just like any other synth...
Rhodes Chroma does that too. Voice boards are stacked on end.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathfinnie ➡️
Rhodes Chroma does that too. Voice boards are stacked on end.
Not surprised because hybrid polysynths have so many potential foibles that can screw up tuning.

Stacked voicecards greatly reduce - but does not eliminate - tuning issues.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Stacked voicecards greatly reduce - but does not eliminate - tuning issues.
Heh, need I remind you of the CS50/60/80? No autotune doesn't help of course...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt ➡️
Heh, need I remind you of the CS50/60/80? No autotune doesn't help of course...
But they did have autotune. You pounded the bottom of the case until the trimpots were knocked back in place

When I used to gig with the Polymoog I did exactly that on several occasions (NOT kidding!)
Old 27th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I just had a chat with former SCI employee Stanley Jungleib about the double manual P10
and to the best of his recollection not much more than 500, if that, were made.
Sounds like a reliable source to me ;-). Great to know. Thanks.

BTW it looks like not just vintage synthesizers are going up in price but so are vintage books about vintage synthesizers. How about volume one of Peter Forrest's A-Z in paperback for 590,65 EUR? Quite a bargain, really, compared to the one selling for 2082,96 EUR.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listin...condition=used
Old 12th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➡️
Great to know! Thanks for sharing that info.

It's interesting to hear such stories about particular instruments. Supposedly, my P-10 was originally purchased by some country music star from Alabama. He apparently made a ton of money, and decided to buy himself a SYNTH-i-sizer! Haha Wish I could find out his name. I've tried numerous web searches over the years ("Alabama" "country music" "prophet-10") but haven't been able to come up with a match.
Guessing this might be Stan Thorn from Shenandoah, country band from Alabama with a decent run of #1 ’s in the 80’s. He was in Funkadelic before in LA. He had a double manual P-10.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgkeys ➡️
Guessing this might be Stan Thorn from Shenandoah, country band from Alabama with a decent run of #1 ’s in the 80’s. He was in Funkadelic before in LA. He had a double manual P-10.
Finally. A lead. After all these years.

Excellent.

This would align with the known facts, which is that the P-10 was hauled from Alabama to Georgia where it was restored by a guy in Atlanta, then later shipped to Germany (where it is now).

I will investigate further.

Thanks a million!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Stan was also a Muscle Shoals session player, I'm sure that P10 ended up on a LOT of 80's country and not so country tunes. He still owned his Yamaha VL-1 last I checked and at one point he had a VP-1 he got in Japan? Great piano player. I should text him...
📝 Reply