The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Satson is legit Saturation Plugins
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Satson is legit

Very surprised at how low the CPU usage is, even in FAT mode. Personally, I prefer FAT mode muuuuuuuuch better. Summing up a mix after dropping these as your first insert will yield some nice results.

Easily worth the $$$$ - After summing one mix you'll be glad you bought it
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah I've just read the 30 page thread about it on GS and am about to order it but can't work out if the Win 64 bit which is not yet released is the 64 bit VST or he means for Win 64bit...i.e. I'm on Win 64 bit Cubase 32bit...so is the relevant VST out?
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Should be out on monday. The developer recently posted it in the thread

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 13th May 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

Happy SatSon user over here. I took the plunge and use it on everything.

It's subtle as it doesn't change the sound in a un-natural way but in a musical/transparent one. It makes my mixes sit better without having to process much.

The last two on my soundcloud are mixed with this beauty and I could really throw lot's of sounds with similar frequencies without any issues.

Heavy used on the first track and just one channel and bus on the other.

Old 13th May 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primativ View Post
I'm on Win 64 bit Cubase 32bit...so is the relevant VST out?
The 32 bit version (which is out now) works fine on win7 X64 if used in a 32 bit host.
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

I'm waiting on this one.

Do you have any preferences? i.e. vox, bass, guitar, strings etc?

I recently got myself Duende Native and while it sounds great, I would like to put together a hybrid virtual console with mixed channel strips etc. I cant wait to get my hands on this.. payday pending (even at that price lol)
Old 13th May 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
I'm waiting on this one.

Do you have any preferences? i.e. vox, bass, guitar, strings etc?

There is no preference on this one. You just stick it on the channels and it just brings cream and 3d... It diminishes digitus a lot!

Sometimes I process the whole drum bus with one channel instance and one bus like in the second example and sometimes I use it on all the channels.

It really adds up this way. Depends on how well the sounds are mixed and how much routing do you want to make (I use a VST sequencer that has it's own internal mixer and sometimes I don't use more outs just a few)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
I cant wait to get my hands on this.. payday pending (even at that price lol)
Same here had to postpone some other stuff to get it "low budget operation is low budget"! heh
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted-space View Post
The 32 bit version (which is out now) works fine on win7 X64 if used in a 32 bit host.

This is what I wanted clearing up, thanks, looks like I can buy it now then!
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Trying to buy it but for some reason my credit card isn't accepted. FFFUUU!
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primativ View Post
This is what I wanted clearing up, thanks, looks like I can buy it now then!

Yea I'm on Windows 7 64bit and it runs fine.

Can't emphasize enough how subtle this plug is. The filters are of course not subtle, but unless you are riding the gain really high you are not going hear big changes. (Which is good IMO).

The biggest changes I have noticed so far is CLARITY. It seems to make things sound much more clear resulting in a better overall mix sound.

This plug is beyond its value. $39 for a plug is unheard of which is why I flat out bought it without thinking twice. I was eyeing VCC but I believe I'm going to just stick with this instead. Not saying its better than VCC but I am happy with what this does as far as emulating consule use.
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
Trying to buy it but for some reason my credit card isn't accepted. FFFUUU!
just use paypal
Old 14th May 2011
Gear Head

I want to hear an A/B sound file test. Would someone who owns this plug please make a 'with' version and a 'without' version for us to hear the difference?
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

i will but can't until morning morning due to work. can tell you it that you might hear a bit different sound than expecting. i wasn't expecting it to make the mix more clear and defined, which i really liked. i dont know if i would call it analog warmth? maybe it rounded tracks with certain EQ curves that helped define things? hopefully somebody can get an a/b up before monday so you can hear, if not, then i will. i'll even let you provide the audio sources if u want. just put a link up here
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

I wanted to add one more thing....

How people use this plug-in is going to change mixes from a lot to a little. I am a perfect example.

My typical track processing goes as so:

Gate...(Saturation if needed) Compressor...EQ (if using FX, then another EQ after FX)

With this plug, it goes in first. So the driving and more importantly the low and high pass filtering is occuring at a different position in the mix. I suppose I could alter the position I place the plug, and it is something I will experiment with as I go.

Just something to keep in mind!
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

I've thrown this over every channel on a track im currently working on, and I'm not hearing any difference at all. Maybe it's so subtle I can't hear it....but I'm not sure it's actually doing anything. Increasing the trim saturates the sound, but also makes it go too loud, so I'm backing off the trim so that the sound sits correctly in the mix, I thought you could saturate without increasing the actual level of the track?
Old 14th May 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

It has output compensation. Read the manual. you should click on the Satson channel and satson buss text to get into the advanced settings
Old 15th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Lost Satson limiting in Reaper.

Bought Satson last night. Was very impressed with its limiting in Linux Multimedia Studio and the old Kristal Audio Engine. Was getting absolutely HUGE sound with NO clipping whatsoever. Installed Reaper today. Satson's limiting doesn't work?!

Anyone experience this in Reaper, or know where the problem might be?
Old 19th May 2011
So whats the story guys, those of you that have ben using it for a little while now on edm.... ?

Tempted to pull the trigger on it, but I must confess from the audio examples I've heard so far I'm not hearing much. I take it you need to actually mix into it, not just pop it on after the fact?

Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Been using it for a couple of days and I like it so far. It's not a game-changer but it definitely does something nice to the sound. I wish it had global on/off-button so you could compare it better, but otherwise definitely worth the 40 bucks.

I've only tried it on my very lofi-sounding electronic tracks, I can imagine it being worth all the rave for acoustic and other more traditional sources.
Old 19th May 2011
Thanks a lot Barfunkel, anyone else care to weigh in?

Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
Thanks a lot Barfunkel, anyone else care to weigh in?

I think it's doing something nice to the sound, but I'm not sure. I've only used it on two mixes so far......hmmm
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

it makes small subtle changes to the way you mix. The fat switch adds more low end an more top end if you can't hear it working thats a good thing. What you should do is mix through it, since this plugin is now effecting your mix decsions mix it out using all your plugins. Then mix down. Go back mute all the satson plugins and mixdown an compare the two at equal volumes.
Old 19th May 2011
Nev
Lives for gear

Wondering if getting VCC would still be worth it, with Satson being so much affordable and all, in the context of electronic music.

I've went over the VCC vs Satson, but just found countless bickering, with no definitive answer.
Old 18th June 2011
Lives for gear

just wanted to give more praise. this thing when used across all tracks is nice. i don't have to compress as much for some reason and the elements in the mix seem to be well defined and sit together
Old 18th June 2011
Lives for gear

Is this something that you can put on the master output? I'm a bit confused about the purpose of this

Or is it for bus tracks?
Old 18th June 2011
Lives for gear

You put it as an insert on every track you have. There is the regular insert which has a gain knob and a HPF/LPF (12/24). There is also a Buss plug you can use for your busses. Basically, you are just running the signal through the Satson and it's doing some very subtle things. I don't like riding the gain high at all but the filters on it are very good. It's a nice, cheap, and very CPU friendly way to cut frequencies before they hit anything along with the signal having some sort of "color" - It's just $39. It's worth way more

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search