The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Akai MPK Mini opinions?
Old 2nd January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
Thanks but I no longer use ebay. Also Amazon had the MPK for like $76 new 2 days ago, then it disappeared.

I think Im going to order the Akai LPD8 along with the Alesis Q25. Slightly over
$100 for both, but at least I'll get a slightly better keyboard with mod/bend wheels on the side, and from where Im ordering I can get it by this friday.
For $15 more you can get the Q49 :D
Old 2nd January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyncaster View Post
For $15 more you can get the Q49 :D
Hmm, I didnt think about that one. I can get the Q49 for $76 compared to the $56 for the 25. It'd make things slightly easier but I wonder if I really need 49 keys, especially since I wanna keep it as mobile as possible.

Ugh.. why the hell didnt I just order the MPK from Amazon when I saw it for $76 and be done with it...

Since the LPD8 and MPK share the same pads/knobs, is it possible to control panning/faders in Reaper or Garageband by assigning parameters or no?
Old 2nd January 2012
Lives for gear

I don't see why not. Not really used them much, but it shouldnt be a problem, you get 4 banks on the mini and a decent bank editor app.
Old 3rd January 2012
Gear Nut

Just ordered the MPK Mini and a Focusrite Saffire 6 from Guitar Center. They have a promo going on, $20 off so it was $279 in total, but $300 when figuring in the sales tax.

I read more on the Alesis Qxx and it doesnt seem to work at all under W7 64bit. Total deal breaker. And the MPK is preferred since I get everything I need in one unit instead of having to juggle with an LPD8 and a controller etc.

Very excited to get it and make some tunes.

edit: cancelled the order. It was out of stock today even though GC had it listed as in stock. Really pissed off that stores dont friggin update their stock when an item goes out. No excuse for the site to be 24 hours behind. Ridiculous. Since i dont use ebay or paypal I cant buy anything used so Im pretty much screwed. I give up.
Old 3rd January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
Hmm, I didnt think about that one. I can get the Q49 for $76 compared to the $56 for the 25. It'd make things slightly easier but I wonder if I really need 49 keys, especially since I wanna keep it as mobile as possible.

Ugh.. why the hell didnt I just order the MPK from Amazon when I saw it for $76 and be done with it...

Since the LPD8 and MPK share the same pads/knobs, is it possible to control panning/faders in Reaper or Garageband by assigning parameters or no?
There's also the Badaxx
http://amzn.com/B004COV8ZG
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear Head

The pads on the mini are far superior to the pads on the MPK25. Eh.
Old 23rd April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I have the separate LPK25 and LPD8.
The keyboard serves it's function, but many times my hand has reached-out only to recoiled in disappointment at the lack of pitchbend/mod. A little joystick would make it great.

For the LPD8 - only 4 scenes in memory. Each scene is locked to a single (selectable) MIDI channel. The pads response is quite strange. There's no 'give'. Sometimes they need to be pounded and it's very difficult to get accurate velocity response. Fine as cc triggers though.

I think both are useful but could have been so much better. Maybe there will be a second generation with some improvements.
Old 23rd April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I was now leaning on getting the MPK MINI but now thinking of the MPK25 instead.
Sure, it's not quite as portable, but really I feel like the mini will have me wishing it offered more in no time.
That said, it's really too bad AKAI hasn't jumped in and made revisions to the pad issue that is so discussed.

I would think a company of that reputation would make the revision themselves and release a new batch of MPK controllers.
ie: "Apologies for being out-of-stock for a while, but here are revised MPKs with great pads for you all to enjoy!"

Sure, there's a fix, but it would have been nice of AKAI to take care of it and not their customers.
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Maniac

This is the worst piece of gear i ever bought. I'll give it away to my neighbour's children, i guess.

You have a 1/3 chance of not playing the note you hit, or to double play it not in purpose, due to the very very poor quality of the keyboard.

The knobs cant be called knobs.

Cheapest of the cheapest thing ever.
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

I have one of these to hook up to my laptop when travelling. You get what you pay for - it is a cheap and cheerful, basic midi keyboard which does the job but without anything special. If I had my time again I would probably get something a little better however this is fine for most stuff
Old 22nd May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I was now leaning on getting the MPK MINI but now thinking of the MPK25 instead.
Sure, it's not quite as portable, but really I feel like the mini will have me wishing it offered more in no time.
That said, it's really too bad AKAI hasn't jumped in and made revisions to the pad issue that is so discussed.

I would think a company of that reputation would make the revision themselves and release a new batch of MPK controllers.
ie: "Apologies for being out-of-stock for a while, but here are revised MPKs with great pads for you all to enjoy!"

I've had both, the mini is better, for me. The key feel on the MPK25 is very...different. Once you get use to it, it's pretty great, although, It's not like any other keyboard I've ever used. Regardless, the pads are a disaster, and its hard to label the knob section (for me atleast) for more complex setups. If you use it with one of the premade templates that comes with it though, it should be fine.

Sure, there's a fix, but it would have been nice of AKAI to take care of it and not their customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freudes View Post
This is the worst piece of gear i ever bought. I'll give it away to my neighbour's children, i guess.

You have a 1/3 chance of not playing the note you hit, or to double play it not in purpose, due to the very very poor quality of the keyboard.

The knobs cant be called knobs.

Cheapest of the cheapest thing ever.
I never had those issues, mine worked perfectly, as far as note input/knob movement. Although, the slim profile of the knobs is really annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post
I have one of these to hook up to my laptop when travelling. You get what you pay for - it is a cheap and cheerful, basic midi keyboard which does the job but without anything special. If I had my time again I would probably get something a little better however this is fine for most stuff
I think its the best deal for portability+functionality. Although, I'm curious, have you found any other portable units with a knob/pad/key setup?
📝 Reply