The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nine Inch Nails synths
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
I have a Charlie story that doesn't actually involve him in any way. Shortly after he joined NIN my mom was diagnosed with cancer and hospitalized. Apparently while in the hospital the first time, she was making her nurses and whatever listen to some of my ****ty music and one of them knew Charlie's dad and he came in and had a conversation with her for awhile. I wasn't really around much at the time, but as I remember it left a big impression on her which was super cool.
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post
I have a Charlie story that doesn't actually involve him in any way. Shortly after he joined NIN my mom was diagnosed with cancer and hospitalized. Apparently while in the hospital the first time, she was making her nurses and whatever listen to some of my ****ty music and one of them knew Charlie's dad and he came in and had a conversation with her for awhile. I wasn't really around much at the time, but as I remember it left a big impression on her which was super cool.
Wow, that's a cool story. That would have been at Milton Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, PA, right? That's where my dad was the head of the Humanities Department. He was not a doctor but a philosopher, and taught medical students a variety of topics related to medical ethics. Super kind and generous man.

But he had a lot of friends and colleagues who were doctors, that's for sure. When NIN played in Hershey, he brought a bunch of them to the show, including the top brain and cardiac surgeons on staff at the time. Some of their students were at the show, and they were a little baffled that a handful of the most senior faculty members were picking up tickets at will-call... and they were even more baffled when they asked, "What are you guys doing here?" and these elderly surgeons opened their jackets to reveal NIN t-shirts and belt buckles and VIP laminates that I had given them, and said, "We're on the VIP list, duh." They sat on a special set of couches we laid out for them up on a riser at the front of house mix position, all comfy and safe behind the barricades. Cushy.

My dad later reported that their "street cred" amongst their students was raised a little bit that night.
📝 Reply