The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIDI patchbays with merge?
Old 20th November 2015
Gear Maniac

@ Macky as far as I can tell it should be fine. I eventually ended up getting another midi solutions device, the 1 in / 4 through box.

In my previous post I was talking about getting a MOTO 8x8 AV - non usb device. but I also have one of the USB MIDI expresses.. also 8x8.. for some reason I did have some weird stuck note issues with either of the MOTU devices. I spent some time on it, but I still think it might be some kind of MIDI feedback I didn't iron out.. that said the MS 1/4 box with the same configuration didn't have the stuck not problem so I imagine it's something with the MOTO's routable / not hard wired setup that could have been causing some unfortunately latency. I may try again some time, but the MS boxes did the trick and I found other uses for the MOTU stuff.

The AV unit is a great value. It was a little scary to know for sure if it would be configurable, but it turned out to be exactly what you'd want.. full configurable 8 in / 8 out on the cheap. (paid $65)

I haven't had any experience with the Quadra devices, but the MIDI Solutions boxes are nice simple devices. the 4 in / 1 out is a bit pricy if you ask me, but then again 4 in to 1 out is rare and in my case sooo important..

but again if you're looking for something not to hard to find and on a budget the MOTU Midi Time Piece AV is a great find.. MIDI patchbays with merge?http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTU-Mark-of...8AAOSwMTZWR5LS this ones starting out at $45! sure it's on bid, but I imagine few people will think much of it (no usb..pft)

Good luck!
Show replies
Old 21st November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Old thread but hoping i can get an answer as this is exactly my set up.
Is it possible to integrate the merge box (Phil Rees) in to a racked midi patchbay for a permanent set up.Just having the merge box sit atop the rack i suppose...I usually use the phil rees (mains powered)merge box with an Edirol usb 2 x 2 midi unit but was given this MTR rack ...its a straight ahead..midi in-midi thru-midi out x 7. patchbay.
Not sure how the cable routing would go.
I suspect i will still have to manually switch cables about but if i can streamline it a bit.. it would be good.
cheers
M
This one?

I think these types are more for bringing the MIDI sockets from the rear panels of gear onto a more accessible panel and then you patch them with short cables. Are the Thru's even connected to the In's? Probably worth keeping but it's a different sort of thing to the matrix switching ones on this thread.
Show replies
Old 21st November 2015
Lives for gear
^^ Yeh..thats the one..like i said its just a straight on patchbay. I,m not a heavy midi user (couple of rack synths and controllers) but you guys cleared up a lot for me. Yes it will come in handy and make the cabling much cleaner. Forgot i had the Phil Rees 5s midi switcher, so i can utilise that i suppose.
I,ll check out the recommendations and see if i can pick up a dedicated unit.
Roland/Edirol seem to have hit the spot with their UM series…even this little UM2 is great, drivers are not up to date on Yosemite though but they are on the UM550/880. I just checked ebay UK sold history and the last one was an 880 just last week…expensive though. I,ll poodle along and keep my eyes open. Appreciate you taking the time to link the Motu "part12studios"
Thanks for answering guys
M
Show replies
📝 Reply