The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKAI S612 users... talk to me.
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

An Akai S612 discussion in 2018, this is crazy.

Most of my sample saving has been done with the Atari ST program that was designed for editing S612 samples. my QD drive is still broke 13 years later.

The big benefit of the S612 is you can use them as a second set of voices for your Akai AX60, making it a ghetto DSI Evolver. But that analogy is getting old in this day and age.
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
ahh, ok then... i remember using the free Elektron C6 software to send samples via SDS to an E-mu e4X, not sure if it would work with the S612 (sold that a year or two before i tried it with the e4X). i'm not even sure that i knew the S612 even supported it. i used to have Steinberg's 'Avalon' and used it with a Casio FZ-(1 and 20m). i don't remember the S612 being listed as being compatible, i owned it then and never tried.
Yeah, the S-612's sample dump protocol is non-standard but some kind soul published the nitty gritties a good number of years ago: Larryย’s DIY synthesizer module page

That allowed anyone to incorporate the protocol in their programs. Back in the day it was mostly Atari ST software that used it (and you can still run that stuff and transfer samples within an emulator environment).

Samplewrench is one of the only PC programs to use it.
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

Just a word of warning, someone on ebay is trying to sell S-612 OS 1.3 on EPROM.

You can't upgrade an S-612 to OS 1.3 by simply swapping in an EPROM -- it's a pretty extensive procedure, and the EPROMS you got from the author were custom modified to prevent piracy. The installation instructions are only in German (and don't include the EPROM modifications anyway).

As far as I am aware the ebay seller is *NOT* the original author or anyone authorized to sell the upgrade on his behalf. Whoever is selling this upgrade is just trying to pirate a safety dump someone made of the upgrade EPROM code. It's useless to anyone except those who already have a 1.3 upgrade installed.

The highest OS you can drop into an S-612 is 1.1. I've never seen a dump of 1.2 -- if it indeed even exists. I have an original copy of the S-612 service manual including all addenda and only OS 1.1 is mentioned. Be wary of anyone trying to sell you OS1.2 and 1.3.
Old 19th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Just a word of warning, someone on ebay is trying to sell S-612 OS 1.3 on EPROM.

You can't upgrade an S-612 to OS 1.3 by simply swapping in an EPROM -- it's a pretty extensive procedure, and the EPROMS you got from the author were custom modified to prevent piracy. The installation instructions are only in German (and don't include the EPROM modifications anyway).

As far as I am aware the ebay seller is *NOT* the original author or anyone authorized to sell the upgrade on his behalf. Whoever is selling this upgrade is just trying to pirate a safety dump someone made of the upgrade EPROM code. It's useless to anyone except those who already have a 1.3 upgrade installed.

The highest OS you can drop into an S-612 is 1.1. I've never seen a dump of 1.2 -- if it indeed even exists. I have an original copy of the S-612 service manual including all addenda and only OS 1.1 is mentioned. Be wary of anyone trying to sell you OS1.2 and 1.3.
I've seen some vague talk about people preferring OS1.0 because the loop poin faders "glitch better" but I haven't actually checked the OS version in mine and probably won't pull it out of the rack for quite a while (although I did notice today the level pot is getting a little crackly in one spot, so it's due for a cleaning). Anyone who has used both 1.0 and 1.1 have any insight into what that's all about, if anything?
Old 19th June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architecture View Post

Most of my sample saving has been done with the Atari ST program that was designed for editing S612 samples. my QD drive is still broke 13 years later.

The big benefit of the S612 is you can use them as a second set of voices for your Akai AX60, making it a ghetto DSI Evolver. But that analogy is getting old in this day and age.
The s612 is a character piece at this time, a tool for people that like quirky sounds with artifacts. Its filter can still make it sound a bit warm as well. It got me a taste of how cool old samplers with analog filters can sound.

If you own a s612 since the 80s I can see how you would find this insane. But in this day and age of pristine, plastic sound everywhere, the s612 is something special.
Old 19th June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:

The problem is that the original author does not appear to be selling the v1.3 Eprom anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I read the installation instructions and indeed it requires some skill. But at least those who want to do it now have the option.
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicksalot View Post
The problem is that the original author does not appear to be selling the v1.3 Eprom anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I read the installation instructions and indeed it requires some skill. But at least those who want to do it now have the option.
Without documentation on those custom EPROM modifications then it's a non-starter. We don't even know if the EPROM code from the ebay seller is a good dump. So no, it's not a realistic option at this point unless you can find a tech willing to reverse engineer it and someone willing to donate their 1.3 upgraded machine for study.

The new features are almost identical to the Akai S-700/X-7000 (multisampling, better loop management). There's also some features taken from the obscure and mostly-forgotten Akai ME-10D -- a MIDI implemented delay that repeats the note over MIDI with reduced velocity. If you really need these features the far cheaper option is to seek out an S-700 and ME-10D (heck, all of those Akai ME racks can all be done easily in software now).

There was some behind the scenes discussion with the original author a few years ago but I haven't heard anything lately. Openly pirating and profiting from his work doesn't make this process any easier either though.
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOQuantity View Post
I've seen some vague talk about people preferring OS1.0 because the loop poin faders "glitch better" but I haven't actually checked the OS version in mine and probably won't pull it out of the rack for quite a while (although I did notice today the level pot is getting a little crackly in one spot, so it's due for a cleaning). Anyone who has used both 1.0 and 1.1 have any insight into what that's all about, if anything?
Currently I have both a 1.0 and a completely decked out 1.1 with both cassette interface and Front Panel Animator so I've compared the two OS.

It's mostly an upgrade in how you set the manual splice points. Originally when you hit the manual splice button you could select the start and end points for the looping or alternating part of the sample, and hitting the manual splice button again locks those changes in place. In 1.1 you hit the manual splice button and then hit the loop or alternating buttons to page through small chunks of the sample memory (8 presses brings you back to the first chunk) -- you then fine tune your start and end points from there rather than trying to work with the whole sample memory at once.

1.1's autolooping routines also tend to find better points for the looping/alternating part of the sound to reduce clicks when the portion is repeated. So 1.0 is 'glitchier' sounding in that sense as it tends to come up with a glitchier loop off the bat than 1.1 -- though you could use the manual splice in 1.1 to get to the same glitchy sounding loops. 1.0 just sort of drops you into happy accident territory more often than not -- especially if that sort of glitchy sound was what you were after in the first place.

1.1 also fixes the bugs in the MIDI sample dump code.

What I wanted to try was burning a 27128 EPROM with both 1.0 and 1.1's code (1.1 occupying the higher addresses) and then switch between them. You wouldn't be able to hot swap between each OS without a power cycle (or at least you *shouldn't*) but it would give you the best of both worlds.
Old 19th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
The new features are almost identical to the Akai S-700/X-7000 (multisampling, better loop management). There's also some features taken from the obscure and mostly-forgotten Akai ME-10D -- a MIDI implemented delay that repeats the note over MIDI with reduced velocity. If you really need these features the far cheaper option is to seek out an S-700 and ME-10D (heck, all of those Akai ME racks can all be done easily in software now).
You can also get MIDI delay from a MidiPAL or one of the clones, if you like working with hardware.

EDIT: thanks for the details on the OS version differences above, too. Sounds to me like 1.1 is the way to go then, what I'd seen said before made me think that the actual sounds you get if you manually adjust the splice point while a note is playing were different between the two versions, and that really would be something to consider because those aren't the only thing that makes the s612 unique but they're definitely a big factor. If that stays the same, then the other changes in 1.1 sound like they're all improvements to me. I'm pretty sure I have 1.0 in mine.
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The s612 is a character piece at this time, a tool for people that like quirky sounds with artifacts. Its filter can still make it sound a bit warm as well. It got me a taste of how cool old samplers with analog filters can sound.

If you own a s612 since the 80s I can see how you would find this insane. But in this day and age of pristine, plastic sound everywhere, the s612 is something special.
I bought mine in 2004, getting away from the ITB Daw trend of that time. All this talk about it makes me want to get it out of storage and take another spin with it. I had a demo section on Sealed Deep Synthesis many years ago. If I ever find time to take a break from my new career I may make another demo set. Most of my demo work has been the MPC60 and Deep House, featured on Attack Magazine.
Old 19th June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Currently I have both a 1.0 and a completely decked out 1.1 with both cassette interface and Front Panel Animator so I've compared the two OS.

It's mostly an upgrade in how you set the manual splice points. Originally when you hit the manual splice button you could select the start and end points for the looping or alternating part of the sample, and hitting the manual splice button again locks those changes in place. In 1.1 you hit the manual splice button and then hit the loop or alternating buttons to page through small chunks of the sample memory (8 presses brings you back to the first chunk) -- you then fine tune your start and end points from there rather than trying to work with the whole sample memory at once.

1.1's autolooping routines also tend to find better points for the looping/alternating part of the sound to reduce clicks when the portion is repeated. So 1.0 is 'glitchier' sounding in that sense as it tends to come up with a glitchier loop off the bat than 1.1 -- though you could use the manual splice in 1.1 to get to the same glitchy sounding loops. 1.0 just sort of drops you into happy accident territory more often than not -- especially if that sort of glitchy sound was what you were after in the first place.

1.1 also fixes the bugs in the MIDI sample dump code.

What I wanted to try was burning a 27128 EPROM with both 1.0 and 1.1's code (1.1 occupying the higher addresses) and then switch between them. You wouldn't be able to hot swap between each OS without a power cycle (or at least you *shouldn't*) but it would give you the best of both worlds.
Rob, thanks for all this info!

I just opened up my unit, and the sticker on the EPROM says "S 612 V1.1A". So apparently my firmware is V1.1. But the manual splicing does not work the way you describe it should for 1.1:

When I press "manual slice", the "start/splice" slider can navigate through the entire sample, so there is no 1/8 th window as you describe. And the "end" slider then does not set the endpoint for the loop. Instead it seems to add a few samples more or less to the loop point set by the "start/splice" slider.

As for midi dumps: Samplewrench 5.7 manages to receive and send samples from/to my S612. When receiving samples on the PC, the loop point is included. However when sending this same sample with loop point back to the S612, all the loop data are missing on the S612 (bummer!). The loop point and even start+end remain unchanged from the sample that was previously on the sampler - just like when you are sampling from the analog input. Is this how it works for you as well?

By the way, sample transfer over midi takes 23 seconds for me, while the QD takes 8 seconds. If I can get the loop info to transfer over midi, I wouldn't really need the QD anymore.
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
The big benefit of the S612 is you can use them as a second set of voices for your Akai AX60, making it a ghetto DSI Evolver.
6 voices, VCOs, user samples, and a more interesting filter hardly seems ghetto.
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
6 voices, VCOs, user samples, and a more interesting filter hardly seems ghetto.
It was a very unique sounding combination.
Old 20th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

I just opened up my unit, and the sticker on the EPROM says "S 612 V1.1A". So apparently my firmware is V1.1. But the manual splicing does not work the way you describe it should for 1.1:

When I press "manual slice", the "start/splice" slider can navigate through the entire sample, so there is no 1/8 th window as you describe. And the "end" slider then does not set the endpoint for the loop. Instead it seems to add a few samples more or less to the loop point set by the "start/splice" slider.

As for midi dumps: Samplewrench 5.7 manages to receive and send samples from/to my S612. When receiving samples on the PC, the loop point is included. However when sending this same sample with loop point back to the S612, all the loop data are missing on the S612 (bummer!). The loop point and even start+end remain unchanged from the sample that was previously on the sampler - just like when you are sampling from the analog input. Is this how it works for you as well?

By the way, sample transfer over midi takes 23 seconds for me, while the QD takes 8 seconds. If I can get the loop info to transfer over midi, I wouldn't really need the QD anymore.
Manual splice doesn't work the way either of you described on mine, so I must have 1.0.
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hmmm.

The service manual describes 1.1 manual splice operation and details what additions were made to the newest user manual, centered around the "Good Morning" tutorial.

Their text:

The S612 normally sets up a splicing point by using the automatic splicing system. However, by pressing the MANUAL SPLICE button, the automatic system will be overridden, which makes it possible for you to set a splicing point manually. In this situation, the START/SPLICE lever's function is to set a splicing point and by adjusting this lever, a different splicing point may be set. Also the END lever gives a fine adjustment of the splice and pressing the LOOPING (or ALTERNATING) button will advance the splice point by one. Eight presses will return to the point set by levers. For example, in the LOOPING mode, when the MANUAL SPLICE button is pressed and splicing point is set at "Morning" by the lever, a key-on starts the phrase "Good Morning". After the phrase is played once, "Morning" will be repeated until the key-off.

It seems I may have misinterpreted how this works in 1.1. The manual addenda isn't very clear what 'advance splice point by one' actually represents -- I always thought it was different sections of the main sample that you could
use to get close to where you wanted the splice points to be and fine tune it from there. They don't really detail what the end slider 'fine adjustment' means either. The "Good Morning" example unfortunately doesn't demonstrate these concepts but just reinforces that the looping or alternating point happens after the main sample has played once.

Quote:
Yes, I get the same thing and I think it's a lingering bug in the S-612 OS. The service manual doesn't even mention the MIDI dump fixes in the addenda. 1.0 users report that MIDI dump either doesn't work or only works in one direction.

Does your S-612 have an opening on the back panel for the cassette interface that's covered by a screwed in plate, or is there no opening or plate? The last versions of the S-612 completely eliminated the cassette option and changed the casing as a cost saving measure -- that service bulletin is dated August 1985, close to the end of life for the product. I wonder if version 1.1A has anything different to offer?
Old 20th June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hmmm.

The service manual describes 1.1 manual splice operation and details what additions were made to the newest user manual, centered around the "Good Morning" tutorial.

Their text:

The S612 normally sets up a splicing point by using the automatic splicing system. However, by pressing the MANUAL SPLICE button, the automatic system will be overridden, which makes it possible for you to set a splicing point manually. In this situation, the START/SPLICE lever's function is to set a splicing point and by adjusting this lever, a different splicing point may be set. Also the END lever gives a fine adjustment of the splice and pressing the LOOPING (or ALTERNATING) button will advance the splice point by one. Eight presses will return to the point set by levers. For example, in the LOOPING mode, when the MANUAL SPLICE button is pressed and splicing point is set at "Morning" by the lever, a key-on starts the phrase "Good Morning". After the phrase is played once, "Morning" will be repeated until the key-off.

It seems I may have misinterpreted how this works in 1.1. The manual addenda isn't very clear what 'advance splice point by one' actually represents -- I always thought it was different sections of the main sample that you could
use to get close to where you wanted the splice points to be and fine tune it from there. They don't really detail what the end slider 'fine adjustment' means either. The "Good Morning" example unfortunately doesn't demonstrate these concepts but just reinforces that the looping or alternating point happens after the main sample has played once.
Aha! I just played around a bit, and found that the "advance splice point by one" should be taken literally: it really just advances the loop/splice point by one sample. You can check this by making a *very* short loop in manual splice mode: then pressing the "loop" button will cause a slight downward change in pitch as the looping section is made one sample longer. After 8 presses the pitch will return to original.

The "end" slider indeed can make slight adjustments to the splice point as well. When all the way to the right, there is no adjustment. It seems that moving it to the left changes the splice point one sample with each increment of the slider to the left. So assuming the resolution of this slider is 127 steps, you can use the slider to increase the loop section with a maximum of 127 samples. Again, you can check this when starting with a very short loop as the different loop lengths will then be most pronounced.

Quote:
Yes, I get the same thing and I think it's a lingering bug in the S-612 OS. The service manual doesn't even mention the MIDI dump fixes in the addenda. 1.0 users report that MIDI dump either doesn't work or only works in one direction.
That really sucks. At least I know it's not an issue with my particular unit then. I really wish there was a way to keep the loop point intact over midi dumps - then the quickdrive could go. Any idea if V1.3 still has this bug? And did you ever try any other sample dump utility, to eliminate the possibility it's an issue with Sample Wrench?

I have seen mentions of Atari software from Harold Plontke ( www.harald.plontke.de ) that does support loops points, so that suggests it is an issue with Sample Wrench being a generic sample editor without full support for the S612 specific features.

I tried a utility called "S612 sample dumper v1.0", which also appears to support all the loop data etc, but sending back samples produces some kind of distorted/mangled sound: https://web.archive.org/web/20060525...plerDumper.zip

Quote:
Does your S-612 have an opening on the back panel for the cassette interface that's covered by a screwed in plate, or is there no opening or plate? The last versions of the S-612 completely eliminated the cassette option and changed the casing as a cost saving measure -- that service bulletin is dated August 1985, close to the end of life for the product. I wonder if version 1.1A has anything different to offer?
My unit has no opening or plate for the cassette interface. I found the section you are referencing here: http://www.florian-anwander.de/akai_...ual_Part_2.pdf (section 5, service bulletin). Besides the firmware upgrade to 1.1 there were also some resistor values changed to prevent sound distorting.

I did not find any other quirks/features in the 1.1A firmware, everything seems to work according to the manual and addendum as described above.

One peculiarity I noticed on the s612 was the pitch bend range: seems to be +/- 8 semitones, a bit unusual. Glancing over the service manual I also noticed that the AD is actually 8 bit. I always thought the s612 was a 12 bit sampler, but perhaps there were some companding tricks used?
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
One peculiarity I noticed on the s612 was the pitch bend range: seems to be +/- 8 semitones, a bit unusual.
This is pitch bend over MIDI and not the range of the tuning knob, right?

Gimme a few days and I'll set the two S-612's up side-by-side and do a comparison.
Old 21st June 2018
Lives for gear

Wow, this 1.0 vs. 1.1 OS stuff is interesting. Despite being a longtime user, I had no idea there was any sort of hidden functionality beyond the front panels functions.

I currently have two and one doesn't seem to glitch as well as the other when moving the sliders. But I also suspect this might be a cold solder issues. I'm also curious if the Hideaway Studio MIDI mod will affect this in any way. I'm about to have this installed and need to decide which instrument to put it on. But since it's a CPU and not OS replacement, I assume it won't affect the basic functionality in any way.
Old 21st June 2018
Lives for gear
Raise your hand if you have 2 S-612
Old 21st June 2018
Lives for gear

I've had three over the years but currently have two.

Why two?

One is used as a regular sampler and distortion effect and the other is permanently connected to my AX-60.
Old 21st June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hmmm.

I just checked, mine doesn't have anything on the back panel that would suggest a cassette interface is an option, no removable panels or anything. So it probably isn't 1.0 from the sound of it, I'll have to open it up this weekend.

I've got an EPROM programmer, if I have 1.1a in there and the EPROM is socketed then I'll seriously consider pulling it out and dumping it.
Old 21st June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
This is pitch bend over MIDI and not the range of the tuning knob, right?

Gimme a few days and I'll set the two S-612's up side-by-side and do a comparison.
Yes, it's the pitch bend over midi. Just a peculiarity. My main interest now for the S612 is a reliable way of storing all data over midi.
Old 21st June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
gular sampler and distortion effect and the other is permanently connected to my AX-60.
Have you ever loaded the same sample in to both, sequence them together and then start tweaking the loop points? Maybe panned hard left and right?
Old 22nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOQuantity View Post
I just checked, mine doesn't have anything on the back panel that would suggest a cassette interface is an option, no removable panels or anything. So it probably isn't 1.0 from the sound of it, I'll have to open it up this weekend.

I've got an EPROM programmer, if I have 1.1a in there and the EPROM is socketed then I'll seriously consider pulling it out and dumping it.
EPROM should be socketed. Even a dump of just 1.1 would be welcome as I don't believe I've seen one publicly available -- only 1.0 is out there.

edit: Of my two S-612's one definitely has 1.0 and the other with the FPA prototype I believe has 1.1 -- this one had no sticker on the EPROM quartz window but since I've been able to do MIDI sample dumps both ways I've always assumed it's 1.1 and didn't bother dumping it.
Old 22nd June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
EPROM should be socketed. Even a dump of just 1.1 would be welcome as I don't believe I've seen one publicly available -- only 1.0 is out there.

edit: Of my two S-612's one definitely has 1.0 and the other with the FPA prototype I believe has 1.1 -- this one had no sticker on the EPROM quartz window but since I've been able to do MIDI sample dumps both ways I've always assumed it's 1.1 and didn't bother dumping it.
Cool, I thought there was a 1.1 someplace.
Old 14th November 2018
Here for the gear

Just got an akai s612 in nice condition. Everything seems to work ok. But i'm not sure if the manual splice is ok. When i press a note and the sample begins to loop and i move the sliders a very fast stutter in high frequeny appears. like if the loops starts every time i move the slider but very fast. that sounds goes also thru the filter. is that normal? when i move the slider with no sound or in the other modes there is no such noise. i'm on v1.0
Old 19th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

Yes indeed! This discussion takes me way back to my first sampler: an Akai X-7000, which I bought in 1987.
I believe it was a (slightly) updated version of the S-612 with a keyboard (there was also a rack version: S-700) but more or less the same thing (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the X-7000/S-700 disks could be used with the S-612 as well and vice versa).

To me, it was a great sampler, even though I couldn't afford an S-900 which was the one professional musicians used at the time. I never did create a proper sound library though, because of the very limited QD 2.8" floppy disks. As pointed out elsewhere in this thread there was Atari ST software which allowed dumping of sounds back and forth via MIDI sysex, but at the time I only had an Apple II (with a MIDI interface), replaced by an Atari ST a few years down the line, and by then I had sold my X-7000 and replaced it with a Yamaha TX-16W (which I still have).

Another thing I never got to try out was the 13-pin output for filtering it through an Akai synth at the time, or individual outs. When I got the Atari ST I found out that the computer's monitor output used the exact same plug. And the plugs were also available on their own (I think they're still available -yup, just found it on eBay, if you're into soldering and making your own cable).

I still miss some of the Akai preset sounds though. Among them an orchestra hit which resembled the "ORCH5" Fairlight sound, but slightly modified. There were also a few other nice sample disks from Akai. Have any of these ever been dumped to some universal format and uploaded somwhere?
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Maniac

I've actually made a video demo/tutorial/workflow on the S612 that puts in into production as opposite to it demoed more as lab instrument.

I don't like demo videos with the bone dry sound so I've put effects on it to hear how its sounds come through in a multi tracked setting.

Old 31st January 2019
Gear Addict

What's a fair price for one of these? Never really see them for sale so don't know what they go for but there's one close to me for 500 bux. Should I jump on it? I plan on using it with my ax60
Old 31st January 2019
I got mine for $150 in Australia (where we pay more for everything).

I still use it time to time. I never save anything. I run a sound in, mangle it and record it out. No lo-fi plug in or effect comes anywhere close to the sound of this. Especially on drums
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear