The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland Jupiter 8 roll call Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th April 2011
Gear Nut

Reading another thread made me wonder how many of us here actually own a Roland Jupiter 8.

I bought my Jupiter 8 almost 5 years ago for $2500. It wasn't mint cosmetically, but everything works on it. No midi

serial # 090590
Old 6th April 2011
Lives for gear

me.

serial is 120xxx range...can't recall exactly off the top of my head

encore midi...everything works great.

i could probably name at least 5 other jp8 owners here off hand, but I know there's more than that.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland Jupiter 8 roll call-jupiter8.jpg  
Old 7th April 2011
Gear Nut

I have one too. 12-bit. Bought 6 years ago for about £1600.

My joint-favourite synth with the ARP Quadra which I think might have inspited the Jupiter's looks ...orange blobby bits at the back, sliders in the middle and coloured buttons along the front!
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

I owned a 12 bit for nearly 7 years. 1 of only 2 things I regret getting rid of.

alexP
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

I have a Jupiter 8 as well ... serial #453338
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

#110898 reporting

I paid $2500AUD for mine 10 years ago. Back then the Aussie dollar was worth 65 US cents. Compared to 1:1 now, so I guess it means I'm actually much better off?

It's a 12bit off course, early firmware, no adjustable split point and has a Kenton Midi retrofit

It's going to get any overhaul soon, recapping etc
Old 7th April 2011
#272806 here. 14bit. encore midi.bought it in summer of 2005, for $1560 ..

..bcs a few of the keys had scratches, and there was a missing cap on xmod... no one wanted it on ebay.. so.. heh

PS must give credit to CoolColJ ... i jonesed for JP8 for a while, but his jupiter's demo with PWM strings and plinky sounds was the last straw.. when i knew i absolutely gotta have it.. dead or alive..
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

Jupiter 8 here.

5 years ago-ish- $2000 max. Fantastic condition with midi.

-andrews
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

have a jupiter 8 ... serial is coming when i drop back to california (it's at my studio back on the west coast)... dcb version
Attached Thumbnails
Roland Jupiter 8 roll call-34fgsqo.jpg  
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

Oh I just have to respond... 12-bit 14xxx, official DCB added, Kenton Pro-dcb.

Jupiter 6, 1983 model no-midi through - absolutely MINT condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland Jupiter 8 roll call-dsc_0470.jpg  

Last edited by lain2097; 8th April 2011 at 02:19 AM.. Reason: Clarity and bigger pic..
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

My JP-8 is s/n 030106. Supposedly an early one, #6 Micke told me a while ago. MIDIfied with Encore. Got it for $1,200 I think in the year 2000, back when vintage synths had "normal" prices. And back then, I thought I was overpaying. I remember offering $1,000, but the seller wouldn't let it go for less than 1,200 because it had MIDI. A far cry from today's JP-8's crazy prices

My love for the JP-8 goes back to the days of SynthPop (1983/1984), but it was really fueled by a sample disk from Roland's classic S-series library - that came with my old Roland W-30 that I bought in '89/90: it had the MOST BEAUTIFUL synth strings I had ever heard. That patch was called "JP-8 Strings". Yep, I still think the classic JP-8 Strings are fantastic. It's not surprising that Roland included the JP-8 Strings (and JP-Brass) sample sets on almost every PCM machine they made afterwards.

And btw, hopefully the Jupiter-80 will be a good machine too. I reserve judgment until I can actually play one.
Old 7th April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
My JP-8 is s/n 030106. Supposedly an early one, #6 Micke told me a while ago. MIDIfied with Encore.

Anyways, the initial run of 500 JP-8's had s/n running from #030100 to 090599. This suggests that the serial# for the Jup-8 started on *100* and that the very first unit (#030100) was built in Feb 1981.

The change from 12-bit to 14-bit was introduced on the Jup-8 with serial 171700 (i.e. April 1982) according to the service manual.
Old 7th April 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Bought: April 09 2008
Serial No: 080485
Price: $2500

Options: MIDI installed (unknown manufacturer)

Purchase: Bought in the famous Five G in Tokyo. Special thanks to Ko Okatake / Modeless Factory. Without him this dream come true would NOT be possible. He provided a lot of logistics - he worked in Five G long ago, so knowing people there, he helped me to delay the payment while keeping the unit reserved. This was crucial because the same month i paid for OB-8.

Condition: According to serial, that makes it 385-th produced unit (85th out of first 400). So it's definitely a 12 bit one. Plays good, but i might need to calibrate the bender path (the bend amount per some voices is little bit different - thus detuning some of them slightly) calibration is required. However TBH, being an early 12 bit version, i just don't want to open it again. It has more trimmers than el. capacitors. Maybe one day when i get courage.

Appeal: I've put images in attachments to make reading more easier and moved some offtopic. Let's keep this one on topic.

Attached Thumbnails
Roland Jupiter 8 roll call-jp2dt2.jpg  
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

My name is Jetboy and I have a Jupiter-8. Serial is #181809. Encore midi.

Minor issue with the performance section (pitch bend and portamento is acting up).

Cosmetically very good. Bought spring 2009 for 333 Big Mac menus (which I guess is a more reasonable measure than fluctuating currencies) or 622 Big Mac Burgers (without fries and soda).
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

so, if my calculations are correct, 12 current JP8 owners reported in so far. There's at least 3-4 more JP8 owners I know of off hand who've yet to report in, though! One of them even has 2, I think you all know who I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matocaster View Post
Anyways, the initial run of 500 JP-8's had s/n running from #030100 to 090599. This suggests that the serial# for the Jup-8 started on *100* and that the very first unit (#030100) was built in Feb 1981.

The change from 12-bit to 14-bit was introduced on the Jup-8 with serial 171700 (i.e. April 1982) according to the service manual.
That's one reason to look for JP8's made after 090599, and this alone was the only "no" factor when I was out to purchase one. Probably one of the only real factors when buying one these days other than cosmetic condition, the 12bit/14bit thing is way overhyped compared to that. It's just adding hassle for any potential technician, really, but it's something worth considering since inevitably most of them will have to be serviced at SOME point and time is money, especially skilled technician time.

however, as you can see here, 2 people here have an early jp8 here anyway, and they seem to be working "well enough" for the most part considering those synths are already 30 years old.
Old 7th April 2011
Gear Head

I have a 12-bit with serial 151435. Bought almost a year ago...
Old 7th April 2011
Gear Addict

I have a late model Jup8a; This is my second 8a... but only one at a time
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

I've got a JP8, tis a 14-bit one with Groove MIDI. Had it since 2008. Cost me an arm and a leg (£3000) but it's a smashing piece of kit.
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

I guess I'l chime in:

JP-8 #1: 060310
JP-8 #2: 060306

purchased about 10 years apart...

of the other 5 or so I've owned over the past 20 years, I recorded serial numbers 282899 and 161537. Don't remember who ended up with them.
Old 7th April 2011
Gear addict

I think you guys may remember my story. After looking for many years I finally found one last year on CL. It turned out this JP8 had been barely even used and stored for years. When I recieved it I was in complete awe with its condition. It looked like it came right out of a brand new box. Unfortunately since it was barely used and never even opened for almost 30yrs, something was bound to happen. After having it for a month One of the VCO's on one of the Voice boards Stopped working. I was extremely sad and attempted to try and find out what may have gone wrong. Old Gear Guy was very kind enough to have me follow through test procedures, but Unfortunately my lack of experience did not lead me to the source of the Problem. I finally decided it was best to Just have it serviced by a Pro, So I personally drove it to Thesis Audio in Wichita KS. It turned out that the CA3046 IC had failed and once it was replaced it was good as new again. I also had the Encore installed in it.
I have been extremely happy with it and it is my pride and joy.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland Jupiter 8 roll call-dsc00533.jpg  
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

Not much of a joiner ... but here I am ... (I'll leave it at ... this is good company ... )

JP-8 serial number 030118 ... One of the early ones ... Great condition and everything works well ...

I also have a JP-6 ...

It's very slutty, of course, but I'd really like one more trip to the "long time ago" Jupiter ...
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

^^^^^^^^^^^ *sparkly white buttons* ^^^^^^^^^^^

i'll see if I can put my pair together for a 'photo op' some time soon
12bit&14bit
Old 7th April 2011
Gear interested

Hi, I've been lurking around this forum for a long time.

I don't have a Jupiter-8, but I thought I'd share this story.

Back in 1981, before I was even born, my dad bought a brand new JP-8. It was bought in England, and he told me the price was around £5000 (anyone want to inflation correct that?).

However, being from Iceland as we are, everything we import goes through a horrible customs procedure (especially at the time), with a hefty customs fee & VAT (regardless of VAT having been paid outside of the country). My father circumvented this in a rather clever way.

He took a crappy Elka string machine on his way to the UK, and registered its serial number with the customs, and said he was going touring with it and thus, would be exempt from paying any fees on return.

When in the UK, he sold the Elka, bought the JP-8, and went to a professional engraver, to have the Elka's serial number engraved in place of the Jupiter's original serial.

The plan worked, and my dad brought in the first (out of 3 or so) Jupiter-8 to our desolate island. Needless to say, he got a lot of session work with it... everyone wanted to use "that" synth on their records.

I think around 1984 or so, he sold it to finance his new passion - computers! If only Apple IIe's had retained their value as well as Jupiters

The funny part is that apparently synth-love runs in the blood. 24 years later I got my beloved Jupiter-6. My dad came to my place to try it. His reaction? "Meeh, this is nothing compared to the 8".
Old 7th April 2011
Gear interested

This track was a big hit in Iceland. Came out in 1982.

It features only drums, vocals, and multiple layered JP-8 for everything else, played by my dad heh

Ps. Yeah the youtube caption says 1994, but that's only the CD-reissue. I have the original 1982 vinyl.

edit... Great! I mis-spelled my username
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

19 current jp8 owners so far, (though 21 actual JP8s accounted for, since 2 people own more than one) I guessed in that other thread that we have 20-50 JP8 owners here, so far that possibility is looking up

fwiw, I think most of the jp8 owners I was thinking of have chimed in since my last post...
Old 7th April 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpronouncable View Post
24 years later I got my beloved Jupiter-6. My dad came to my place to try it. His reaction? "Meeh, this is nothing compared to the 8".
Great story! thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

And i really laughed the last part.

If only you thought of getting JP-8 back in 1995. I remember seeing them go as low as $600 in keyboard mag ads. Funny but, if i recall MKS-80 + MPG at that time was expensive as hell.
Old 7th April 2011
Gear interested

If only I had $600 when I was 11
Old 7th April 2011
So many times I wanted to buy a JP-8 on ebay when they were in the $1500-2000 range, but I thought it was too risky to pay that much for an old synth. I felt stupid for paying $800 for 909 and 808, each. Oh well, those days are long gone. Maybe I'll get lucky and come across a JP-8 at a garage/estate sale. Problem with that is I never go to garage/estate sales.
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Maniac

OK, I have two of them. One late serial number 12 bit and one 14 bit. Payed $3500 for one in 2007 and $4500 for the other in 2008. Their both in excellent-mint condition.

There is no significance to the "12 bit" and "14 bit" references other than as a demarcation point for age...
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpronouncable View Post
This track was a big hit in Iceland. Came out in 1982.

It features only drums, vocals, and multiple layered JP-8 for everything else, played by my dad heh

Ps. Yeah the youtube caption says 1994, but that's only the CD-reissue. I have the original 1982 vinyl.

edit... Great! I mis-spelled my username
Loved your story thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search