The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg Monotribe?
Old 9th September 2011 | Show parent
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboy73 View Post
It's pretty cool on the Monotron. You have to split the output so one goes to the input the other to your mixer/audio interface. With a few effects like delay & reverb you can be in noise/drone heaven :-)

THAT is a beautiful sound. I found my Monotron the other day (that's the problem with a synth that size - it can get lost fairly easily), so I will give this a try.

It would be interesting to try a delay, reverb or pitch shifter inserted in the feedback loop. I've done this with other synths, but the Monotron is the most gloriously dirty of all my synths, so it will have different nonlinear characteristics.

Speaking of that: How does the Monotribe filter compare to the Monotron filter, as far as sheer raunchiness?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
THAT is a beautiful sound. I found my Monotron the other day (that's the problem with a synth that size - it can get lost fairly easily), so I will give this a try.

It would be interesting to try a delay, reverb or pitch shifter inserted in the feedback loop. I've done this with other synths, but the Monotron is the most gloriously dirty of all my synths, so it will have different nonlinear characteristics.

Speaking of that: How does the Monotribe filter compare to the Monotron filter, as far as sheer raunchiness?
I think sticking other stuff in the loop is cool. I've tried that. Easy if you have a patch bay. Good fun pushing the Monotron. I like it's limits. It forces you to do stuff like this.

I'm less excited about the Monotribe. It's basically just a Monotron with a couple more synth parameters thrown in & 3 drum sounds! I'm EXTREMELY excited to see what Korg do next if the Monotribe has been a success & I'm sure it would have been.
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboy73 View Post
I'm less excited about the Monotribe. It's basically just a Monotron with a couple more synth parameters thrown in & 3 drum sounds! I'm EXTREMELY excited to see what Korg do next if the Monotribe has been a success & I'm sure it would have been.
Playing any sort of melodic line on the Monotron is well-nigh impossible, so that aspect of the Monotribe is appealing. The ability to hack in MIDI seems cool as well. For drones, the Monotron is pretty awesome as is.
Old 26th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No MIDI jacks?
Old 27th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBeach View Post
No MIDI jacks?
Only if you add it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Playing any sort of melodic line on the Monotron is well-nigh impossible, so that aspect of the Monotribe is appealing. The ability to hack in MIDI seems cool as well. For drones, the Monotron is pretty awesome as is.
Yes, the Monotron is a bit of a novelty/gimmick in standard form. But it can be modified to have midi too. Although it involves a bit more work and parts.
Old 17th October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
lmao! heh

wtf???

Old 17th October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
lmao! heh

wtf???

heh
Old 22nd January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm planning to buy a monotribe and i was looking for a similar shuffle tempo control like Korg Sync control for iPhone. I've seen here on the forums someone recorded the sync out, and edited it. That's an solution, but i i'm looking for something more simple, and less use of the computer.

I want to change my workflow, and going more analog and basic/simple. So i'm looking for an other option not too expensive, and 'touchable'. Something for android will be also nice. Any suggestions?

Last edited by mrsound; 23rd January 2012 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: i said monotron but it is monotribe
Old 23rd January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsound View Post
I'm planning to buy a monotron, and i was looking for a similar shuffle tempo control like Korg Sync control for iPhone. I've seen here on the forums someone recorded the sync out, and edited it. That's an solution, but i i'm looking for something more simple, and less use of the computer.
I suspect you're confusing the 'Tron with the 'Tribe. There is no sync for the 'Tron, but you can get it modded for MIDI with a bit of work.

The 'Tribe can also be modded for MIDI but it's much simpler, Altitude909 from these forums sells a no solder kit which is easy to install.

I love my Tron and my Tribe, here's a quick jam I had using them together, Monotribe doing the acid line, Monotron doing the fast LFO buildup thing during the break. (DSI Tetra for bass and pads)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2661270/Analot.mp3
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Oh again i'm talking about the monotribe.

Edit

Nice Jam!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks mate!

As for your options, recording the sync pulse as a .wav file and keeping a copy on your Android phone is the only option I can think of for portable use, until Korg make SyncKontrol for Android OS that is.

Alternatively, you could install the MIDI kit:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...midi-kits.html

And combine it with something like this Android MIDI over Bluetooth kit:

MIDI over Bluetooth, Part III: New Hardware

But I'm an iOS user so I don't know how well that'd work or what's involved in setting it up sorry.
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
a standard metronome will do the job, try that.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well there ya go, great tip!
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysmgj View Post
a standard metronome will do the job, try that.
Shuffle the sequencer?
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Has anyone used the monotribe to control the arpeggiator in the juno-6/60/106? I'm definitely buying one if that works.
Old 24th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
Has anyone used the monotribe to control the arpeggiator in the juno-6/60/106? I'm definitely buying one if that works.
hmmm, i must try that
Old 25th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
works just fine over here
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Did you use the trigger or the audio out?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've only skimmed this thread but a few people have the idea the Monotribe is useless without a midi mod. Sure midi is a good addition but a lot of the fun is programming the machine using its now sequencer. You get totally unexpected and musical results which wont happen via regular midi, AND dont forget the Monotribes sequencer is very very tight, more so than midi from a Daw, especially USB midi.

Sync it to your Daw by simply recording one pulse from the monotribe, drop it in to a sampler and sequence the pulse via midi which you can then add swing if you want. Or you can simply drop pulses on the Daws time line.
I still cant get over how good the thing is, and its certainly not a toy as some suggest.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matia View Post
works just fine over here
yeah this is rad! monotribe sync out to juno 60 arpeggio clock in and bam the arp is synced tightly!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceacademy View Post
I've only skimmed this thread but a few people have the idea the Monotribe is useless without a midi mod. Sure midi is a good addition but a lot of the fun is programming the machine using its now sequencer. You get totally unexpected and musical results which wont happen via regular midi, AND dont forget the Monotribes sequencer is very very tight, more so than midi from a Daw, especially USB midi.

Sync it to your Daw by simply recording one pulse from the monotribe, drop it in to a sampler and sequence the pulse via midi which you can then add swing if you want. Or you can simply drop pulses on the Daws time line.
I still cant get over how good the thing is, and its certainly not a toy as some suggest.
Very true. Although I have added MIDI to mine I was making some great patterns and tracks with it well before I had added MIDI. Also sometimes it's great to disconnect it entirely and just sit on the couch grooving with the internal sepeaker and drums.
Old 13th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Old thread new stuff.
New monotribe is comming Present one is discontinued already
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I bought a Monotribe and traded it back in and used the credit toward a Micro Brute. It had a fast acting LFO that made a totally annoying clicking sound (less noticeable when the drum machine was in use...and at least the click was in time with the sequencer). This made it useless for much of what I do...besides I already had the Volca Keys...not quite as brutal and nasty as the montribe but, more suited to my style.

Last edited by Mortal Engines; 13th August 2014 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: more info
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.G View Post
Old thread new stuff.
New monotribe is comming Present one is discontinued already
You'll need to supply more than that if you don't want to be accused of trolling
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
:-) no i dont
Just wait guys
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You just signed up and all your posts are about this topic, supposedly based solely on B&H marking the Monotribe as discontinued (which you didn't even bother to mention here). If that's all you've got then I call BS. In all probability Korg will show off something new at NAMM in January...as happens every year.
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
i signed up coz of akai's wolf, wanted to share that private video from my thread over akai's support forum thread (the same you can find on createdigitalmusic post). And yes, based on adorama, bh i contacted sweet water. They confirmed discontinuation, they got last supply in april and that new one is might come even earlier, at AES show.
all i have
Old 15th September 2016 | Show parent
Deleted User
I sequenced E-G-A-G-D-C-D-E on the Tribe, synch out to synch in on the JX-3P with the same sequence. Works like a treat!

Quote:
Old 9th June 2017
Deleted User
Does anyone know where I can source a serial connector to go onto the Monotribe, so I can complete my MIDI OUT retrofit?
πŸ“ Reply