The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
The Official Roland Jupiter-80 Thread
Old 17th September 2015
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
No it's the only limb left he's got that works, so he's put his all into it!
this
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
aah the Jupiter 80..

this video comes to mind :

The dude could do with a few more programming skills.
May take some lectures from Swan.
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear

I'm going to guess that it's about time for Roland to update this with a new model.
Old 10th November 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
I'm going to guess that it's about time for Roland to update this with a new model.
Or just drop the "0" and release that model again.
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgssc View Post
Or just drop the "0" and release that model again.
..... and where's my Nord Modular 3?!?!

And Alesis is back in business, I hear they're going to release an Andromeda 8 soon (kidding, though wouldn't that be nice).
Old 19th August 2017
Gear Nut

id love one
Old 20th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswimmer View Post
[...] Here is a Chopin Sonata (Opus 32) I recorded with the Jupiter 80 and Reaper:

And here is a jazz piece (Georgia) I did also with the Jupiter 80's piano:

[...]
Compliment to your outstanding piano playing, which demonstrates the great expressiveness and responsiveness of the Jupiter-80's piano sound and the great connection between its keyboard, the sound engine and the player.

The synth sounds have the same expressiveness and responsiveness.

The often misunderstood Jupiter-80 will always remain relevant to me, as a timeless musical instrument and as one of the best synthesizers ever produced by Roland...

More about the outstanding synth side of the Jupiter-80 [by SynthMania]:
Old 21st August 2017

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment, and thanks for posting your pads vid, it inspires me to explore more on it. "Often misunderstood Jupiter-80" is so true, when I was toying with the idea to get it last year I couldn't believe some of the negative comments I read on a couple forums and the tube. After getting it and sitting down with it .. it was an awesome feeling! The same kind of feeling I got over 30+ years ago when I first got my Jupiter 8!

So hey I have a couple questions for you that you probably know.There are those soundsets you can download for it from Roland Axial like Synth Legends, but I will need a thumb drive to do so, the Roland thumbdrives are REALLY expensive, can I just use a generic thumb drive? Then after I download the sounsets, will I need to move my factory live sets to the empty liveset slots, or when I go to transfer the new sounds can I choose where to put them? Its a very deep synth and I have just scratched the surface even though I've had it a year now. Thanks man
Thanks for the nice words, but the posted video is not from me but from "SynthMania".

You can use any generic thumb drive but you have to format it on the JP-80.

If you download the following zip-file: JUPITER Synth Legends | JUPITER-80 | Axial , you will find after the extraction a folder with two PDF-Files with the titles "Previewing and Importing Synth Legends, Vol. 1 for the JUPITER-80" and "Understanding and Using Synth Legends, Vol. 1 for the JUPITER-80" (containing detailed descriptions, which will answer all your questions) and a folder with the sound data for the synth legends sounds.

As it is explained in detail in the first PDF-File, you can import just those Registration you like and keep your own sounds intact. You can always exchange and move Registrations to the place you want, which is described in the manual on page 82. I recommend to download and read the Manual und the Parameter Guide anyway: https://www.roland.com/us/support/by...wners_manuals/.

You will find all necessary functions if you press the MENU button (Page 1 & 2).
All those procedures are somewhat complicated and you need to read the descriptions and manuals and invest some time to learn the JP-80 structure in depth in order to get what you want.

But I finally recommend to program your own sounds, because it's just so easy, fast and rewarding. On the Synth Tone level, it's just as easy to program a Partial, as on a Juno-6:

Finally a hint: If you press the SHIFT button & the coulored buttons (the four first and two last buttons of Upper and Lower), you can directly enter each of the 2 x 4 Tones (either the SN Synth Tone/Partial edit page as posted above or the SN Acoustic Tone edit page of the Lower or Uper Livesets) and also the corresponding Effect and Common edit pages of the Lower and Upper Livesets, which is very useful.

Good luck with exploring the JP-80!

Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Hey thanks!, thats useful information Yeah I really need to hunker down and read the manual, just our conversation is motivating, so thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Leaves View Post
Thanks for the nice words, but the posted video is not from me but from "SynthMania".

You can use any generic thumb drive but you have to format it on the JP-80.

If you download the following zip-file: JUPITER Synth Legends | JUPITER-80 | Axial , you will find after the extraction a folder with two PDF-Files with the titles "Previewing and Importing Synth Legends, Vol. 1 for the JUPITER-80" and "Understanding and Using Synth Legends, Vol. 1 for the JUPITER-80" (containing detailed descriptions, which will answer all your questions) and a folder with the sound data for the synth legends sounds.

As it is explained in detail in the first PDF-File, you can import just those Registration you like and keep your own sounds intact. You can always replace and move Registrations to the place you want, which is described in the manual on page 82. I recommend to download and read the Manual und the Parameter Guide anyway: https://www.roland.com/us/support/by...wners_manuals/.

You will find all necessary functions if you press the MENU button (Page 1 & 2).
All those procedures are somewhat complicated and you need to read the descriptions and manuals and invest some time to learn the JP-80 structure in depth in order to get what you want.

But I finally recommend to program your own sounds, because it's just so easy, fast and rewarding. On the Synth Tone level, it's just as easy to program a Partial, as on a Juno-6:

Finally a hint: If you press the SHIFT button & the coulored buttons (the four first and two last buttons of Upper and Lower), you can directly enter each of the 2 x 4 Tones (either the SN Synth Tone/Partial edit page as posted above or the SN Acoustic Tone edit page of the Lower or Uper Livesets) and also the corresponding Effect and Common edit pages of the Lower and Upper Livesets, which is very useful.

Good luck with exploring the JP-80!

Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

It's the only synth I've played to date where I think the brass instruments are really good. The Supernatural solo trumpets and other are just so incredibly expressive and lifelike it's creepy.

The problem of not having a librarian sucks, but the way the memory is managed I understand why that is. You could make a librarian, but it would be incredibly slow with having to scan lots of memory with any saved change to find tone allocation conflicts and warnings. It would be ugly.

I don't know the particular sound of all the late-model Roland synths, but the Jupiter-80 does have a great sound specific to the instrument compared to those I do know. I plan on keeping mine.
Old 22nd August 2017
Gear Addict

So this is the official thread. I thought GS swore this synth off

I always dreamed about owning this synth since I first read about it. Ended up buying one on a whim last December. Unfortunately life happens and it hasn't been used much. But one things for sure, I'll never get rid of it even though I can make a nice profit on it. If I sold it, I wouldn't know what to replace it with.

This synth was insulted so much when it was first revealed and released. I'm glad to see more people realizing what a gem it is and what Roland's intentions were.

Scott Barry's demos on the 50/80 were amazing. That's how you showcase a product.
Old 22nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here is a Chopin Sonata (Opus 32) I recorded with the Jupiter 80 and Reaper:

I believe you mean the Ballade No. 1 in G minor, Opus 23.
Old 22nd August 2017
Deleted b598644
I would certainly like one for a few 100 bucks.
It relies heavily on layering and effects. Partials, tones, layers, effects, with all those layers in 1 sound apparently it needs multiple ingredients in 1 synth-sound to make it sound decent. For acoustic sounds it may be great though.
Old 22nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyway sorry for the confusion.
No problem. Always happy to help out a fellow pianist.

The 2 & 3 part inventions are a great way to start getting the chops back. I began a similar technical overhaul program in the summer of 2015. First I relearned the inventions, then some preludes and fugues along with some Clementi and Czerny etudes. I’m now back to playing Haydn sonatas and Handel suites again. I’m still on leave from Beethoven, though. I don’t want to damage the new transmission.
Old 22nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah thanks for pointing that out, its a little embarrising You mention Clementi, yes I've been going through the Sonatinas as well .. thats more my speed at this point lol. What I'm finding now at age 56 is I really have to go slow to avoid injuring myself compared to back in my college days. Also my Steinway M is stored out at my folks place, so I have to use my Roland RD-700gx as my piano, and the action on it is heavier than the Steinway, and the keys wider than it as well, so I'm having to stretch uncomfortably on it which has also been giving me hand problems. Its frustrating not being able to play as well as I once did, I know how Kieth Emerson felt now, though I would never end my life over it, it is a little depressing. I should probably dig out the Czerny excercise too, all my books are out at my folks, would you possibly have some electronic versions you could recommend to check out?
I know exactly how you feel. I’m only a year behind you—55—and at one point I could play Chopin Etudes Op. 10 & Op. 25 (Piano Performance major ). Despite continuing to play piano ever since, my technique was in a slow state of decline because I didn't go on to become a soloist, instead becoming an accompanist. Apart from a few challenging piano arrangements like Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring or the Chopin cello sonata, the kind of repertoire that's usually thrown my way isn’t any where near as challenging as those etudes.

Anyway, yes, we’re not spring chickens any more, so absolutely we need to take care in order to prevent injury. I recommend IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library: Free Public Domain Sheet Music for scores. You can find basically anything from the classical repertoire there. For etudes, I would recommend checking out Clementi’s Gradus ad parnassum. Both the Tausig and the more comprehensive Mugellini editions can be found at IMSLP. For more musical etudes, Stephen Heller is another I can recommend--op. 46 and 47. Great stuff—and not too difficult. These days I'm taking Robert Schumann’s advice that it’s better to play easy pieces well than to play difficult ones poorly.

About Keith Emerson… what a tragedy. Still makes me sad to think about it because, well, it’s just not so important, you know? I wish I could have told him that myself. It’s not so important… I guess, though, for him it was.
Old 22nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow we have a very similar background, it too did piano performance at Santa Ana College in the late 70's, but ended up leaving it to pursue a career as a club/studio player .. and the chops went down fast (well the classical chops at least) ...
Yeah, the chops go fast if you’re not playing that stuff regularly. I don’t expect I’ll ever get back to the level I once had—but that’s also not my goal. The kind of music which interests me these days isn’t so difficult—things like the Handel keyboard suites, Haydn sonatas and early Debussy. In the meantime, I'm content to be a fan of concert pianists like Yuja Wang who I’ve seen perform twice this year. She’s amazing! I’m so in love.
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you any classical organ background at all?
I had a few lessons when I was in high school, yes, but I didn’t continue with them. Same with harpsichord. I do enjoy playing organ, though. I’ve played a number of weddings and church services over the years, despite not having a valid license. No one appears to have noticed I was unqualified.
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Addict

Read earlier today that the Jupiter 80 is now discontinued. Last 'big beast' released by Roland - but its power remains with those that continue to enjoy the creative might that is the Jupiter 80. Confirmation here -> https://www.roland.com/us/products/jupiter-80/
Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelloJP View Post
Read earlier today that the Jupiter 80 is now discontinued. Last 'big beast' released by Roland - but its power remains with those that continue to enjoy the creative might that is the Jupiter 80. Confirmation here -> https://www.roland.com/us/products/jupiter-80/
As if millions of marimba trills suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
Old 21st October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelloJP View Post
...a memorable moment.

The Jupiter-80 was the last great vision
of Roland founder Ikutaro Kakehashi before he died.

Released in 2011, this remains the last professionally built Roland flagship synth to this day, with a full metal tank-like construction and a high-end keybed with aftertouch, with that unique Roland sound, with 256 poly and up to 30 synth Partials (VA-Synth, PCM-Synth or SN_Acoustic engine) per sound, following the old Roland flagship tradition.

But what will be its successor? A truly professional version of the System-8 with more engines or the analog part of the JD-XA with more voices, hands-on UI, full metal construction and at least 61 keys with aftertouch?

Time will tell...
Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear

End of an era.

I wonder if/when and how they'll use the Jupiter name again. It is not to be used lightly.
Old 22nd October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
End of an era.

I wonder if/when and how they'll use the Jupiter name again. It is not to be used lightly.
Yes, now it's the new era of cheap full plastic. I've just checked the synth category on Roland's website https://www.roland.com/global/categories/synthesizers/ and the only non full plastic products are the tiny Boutique modules with their metal plate. The Jupiter-80 has been removed, so now it's just full plastic everywhere.

@ Roland : I don't buy plastic synths! I'd love to have a System-8, but I don't pay that crazy price for a plastic pan!

They used at least a hint to the name 'Jupiter' just recently for the Boutique JP-08 and there was no outcry...
Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Leaves View Post
Yes, now it's the new era of cheap full plastic. I've just checked the synth category on Roland's website https://www.roland.com/global/categories/synthesizers/ and the only non full plastic products are the tiny Boutique modules with their metal plate. The Jupiter-80 has been removed, so now it's just full plastic everywhere.

@ Roland : I don't buy plastic synths! I'd love to have a System-8, but I don't pay that crazy price for a plastic pan!

They used at least a hint to the name 'Jupiter' just recently for the Boutique JP-08 and there was no outcry...
It's not full plastic everywhere. AIRA/System-8 have a metal face plate behind their controls, JD-XA has two metal strips that brace the main control area.

Hints are no problem, but the full name JUPITER? That's for the top of the top, for grandiose things, metal and all, and there was a lot of butthurt over its current association with "performance synth" instead of the classic "analog poly", same way "JUNO" means something else now.
Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Yes, the Jupiter 80's are built like a tank, great sounding, and pair well with my Kronos. A shame that they were literally dissed to death. No they aren't a Jupter 8 but nevertheless, a super quality keyboard. Wish I had enough cash to add....
Old 22nd October 2017
Old 23rd October 2017
Gear Addict

Scott Barry's demo & performance vids of the Jupiter 80 is what single handedly sold me on this synth. He chose perfect music styles that showcase the power of Jupiter. None of the silly jazz hands / Rudess nonsense.

Could see them going up in value. I'd say now is a better time than any to grab a used one if you want one.
Old 27th October 2017
Here for the gear

I proudly own a Jupiter 80. Mine was used on the Take That - Progression tour. They sold on the synth/outboard stock after the tour and I picked up a Jupiter 80 at a very good price and it was in great condition.

Anyway - I use mine as master keyboard and the sounds are severly lush. Like other people here I am surprised by the lukewarm reviews/response when it was released - compared to similar spec/priced Korg and Yamaha products. Whereas the "plastic" machines that Roland launched after the J80 have had a much kinder response. Even though they have a similar Super Natural engine, so the Jupiter 80 is easily able to replicate their sounds.

And talking about the Take That tour... here is a piece about the Jupiter 80 and Take That...

Take That keys player talks about the Roland Jupiter-80 | Roland | Roland UK
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I need a piano patch with looooong decay

Hi all any editing advice on this subject? The sampled piano sounds cannot be edited to make long decay.. not nearly long enough.. I try to stack other sounds but .. no really a success so far

Best regards

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search