The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
The Official Roland Jupiter-80 Thread
Old 13th April 2011
  #1501
Lives for gear
 
Diametro's Avatar
 

I think that because by posting here and reading this massive thread they're already emotionally invested in the subject ...

And don't you think there's a genuine curiosity factor involved ... ??? (We are afterall, all synthnerds here ... )

Going to play the synth continues the dialog whether it be pro or no ... and gives "moral authority" to previously stated speculation ...

Only time will tell, though ...

OK ... next stupid Jupiter-80 thread/poll should be "How likely are you going to demo Jupiter-80 ... ???"

a) Definitely -- no matter where or how ... !!! I must hear "Supernatural" sounds and realistic no-brainer playing technique ...

b) Probably if it's at a local music store ... Why not ... ???

c) Maybe, but I won't be making any special trips ...

d) I'd sooner shoot my face off than look into this hellish abyss that is Rainbow Brite's new "synth."
Old 13th April 2011
  #1502
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

I do actually have a Roland in the studio. Only because my brother was getting rid of it and gave it to us for the kids to play on. heh

Old 13th April 2011
  #1503
Gear Head
 

Fred Mandel of Alice Cooper, Elton John, Queen, Supertramp fame recommended the Arturia Jupiter 8V to me a while back. He once owned a Jupiter 8, and even toured with it too. Would you people call him the Antichrist for his preference to use software emulation vs the real deal? I think with his usage of software synth applications, this shows that old school people like Fred aren't all that interested in owning the synth in physical form again.
Old 13th April 2011
  #1504
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
this shows that old school people like Fred aren't all that interested in owning the synth in physical form again.
It shows that they're not interested in dealing with quirks and maintenance.

Playing live has different requirements than playing in the studio. You might even do with an older 64 mb piano sound because the keyboard that it comes in plays really great and the samples cut through the mix - it's not like the venue and the PA are going to make it possible to detect every possible last nuance for the trainspotters in the audience.

That doesn't mean you're going to use it in the studio - because at that point you've got way more control over the sound.
Old 13th April 2011
  #1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
Vintagesynth says "Date Produced - 1981 - 1984"
Wikipedia too.
Common sense says "Designed - 1978-1980"
Wikipedia not.
Old 13th April 2011
  #1506
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
It shows that they're not interested in dealing with quirks and maintenance.

Playing live has different requirements than playing in the studio. You might even do with an older 64 mb piano sound because the keyboard that it comes in plays really great and the samples cut through the mix - it's not like the venue and the PA are going to make it possible to detect every possible last nuance for the trainspotters in the audience.

That doesn't mean you're going to use it in the studio - because at that point you've got way more control over the sound.
I saw a video of him recently performing with a band on youtube. He uses a fairly new Juno keyboard.
Old 13th April 2011
  #1507
Lives for gear
 
grumphh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Common sense says "Designed - 1978-1980"
Wikipedia not.
Yes, but it was a synth ahead of its time.

It is totally eighties.
Old 13th April 2011
  #1508
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Well, I'm sold. Count me in, I'm buying one!
Old 13th April 2011
  #1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Well, I'm sold. Count me in, I'm buying one!
Let me guess.... it's because of the Lucky Man patch and the VEGA$ mode.

I've sent 1482 e-mails to Roland so far begging them to put a VEGA$ mode in Jupiter 80. I think i might be on something, as they promised to look for it in future OS release.
Old 13th April 2011
  #1510
Wow, new video from Roland:

Roland JP-80 demonstration by Alan Wilder

Kudos Roland! thumbsup
Old 13th April 2011
  #1511
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
..
Or am I wrong? Have you posted any constructive, open-minded discussion of the new synth? I don't think that you and the other critics have.
The fact that you don't understand the conceptual difference between a Trident and Jupiter-8 is laughable. And because you don't understand that, you simply don't get the point of what I'm saying.
Old 13th April 2011
  #1512
Lives for gear
 
grumphh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Wow, new video from Roland:

Roland JP-80 demonstration by Alan Wilder

Kudos Roland! thumbsup
That filter sound certainly rivals anything they have made since 1991! thumbsup
Old 13th April 2011
  #1513
Gear Addict
 
Pilotwings's Avatar
Roland has a new link next to Featured Products called "Failed Products".
It lists all their past crappy analog failures... not until the almighty general midi sound canvas did they have an instrument which truly sounded like the "real thing". It's amazing they were able to remain afloat till this little wonder box appeared...
Old 13th April 2011
  #1514
Lives for gear
 
CoolColJ's Avatar
 

Gees people it's just a name for some dinky planet

Maybe they should have called it Uranus 303-808-909-JP8
Old 13th April 2011
  #1515
Lives for gear
 
CoolColJ's Avatar
 

Oh I have some demo clips of the JP8 I created when I first got mine 10 years ago

My own patches, but pretty typical JP8 sounds, it's a very bright sounding synth.
Some snatches of the Jupiter 80 stuff I've heard sounds a bit like it

Hell even the Novation Supernova 2 kinda does the filter in a similar fashion

Although as you can tell from my sounds, I love synths with super plucky/snappy hard attacks and plinks.
Remains to be seen wether these can be created

And one video
Attached Files

CCJ_JP8_Bells.mp3 (550.4 KB, 376 views)

CCJ_JP8_BrassyPad.mp3 (916.5 KB, 325 views)

CCJ_Jp8_ClavOrgan_24db_12db_filter.mp3 (333.2 KB, 288 views)

CCJ_JP8_Dual.mp3 (281.1 KB, 290 views)

CCJ_JP8_Funky.mp3 (325.9 KB, 296 views)

CCJ_JP8_HiStrings.mp3 (395.7 KB, 293 views)

CCJ_JP8_Juno.mp3 (249.9 KB, 292 views)

CCJ_JP8_LFO.mp3 (792.6 KB, 299 views)

CCJ_Jp8_MaxRes.mp3 (924.7 KB, 615 views)

CCJ_JP8_melloPWM.mp3 (408.7 KB, 302 views)

CCJ_JP8_Organ.mp3 (358.5 KB, 260 views)

CCJ_JP8_PWMStrings.mp3 (879.3 KB, 309 views)

CCJ_JP8_S&HPad.mp3 (868.0 KB, 297 views)

CCJ_JP8_Strings.mp3 (424.7 KB, 295 views)

Old 13th April 2011
  #1516
Lives for gear
 
ChristianRock's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
How can you say that, Diametro?

I don't have the exact numbers, but roughly 90% of the people here have exhibited a clear hate towards the Jupiter-80.

Hate, not just "....hhmmm... nah... I don't think I like this". More like "pass me the shovel, I'm going to smash this abortion of synthesizer to bits, dance naked on it, and then feed it to the pigs"

So, why would this 90% of people "go out of their way to try this synth out"?
There's a little exaggeration going on in that post, I'll just ignore the pouring gasoline on the keyboard thing heh

It might be a good sounding synth. But I don't hate it. I just think that by looking at the specs and the pictures of it, it seems at least a couple thousand dollars overpriced, and 4 sliders doesn't make an interface. Also, no sequencer, and only 4 parts multi-timbral. Which isn't a big deal if you're talking a 1,000 dollar synth, but for 3,499 street?

Sure, if I see it at a store I'll play around with it (why not?), but I won't go out of my way to try one out... and no I wont attempt to burn it down...
Old 13th April 2011
  #1517
Lives for gear
 
ChristianRock's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
I seriously doubt I'll be buying this synth new ... Probably not used either ...

If Roland comes out with a workstation version or something with a groovier control surface, who knows ... ???
I agree with all this...

If they put all these "supernatural" sounds (I hate that term...) in a Fantom, that might actually end up being a very smart move and a much more interesting package - if they don't move the Fantom price up to Oasys levels, of course. But knowing Roland, who knows!
Old 13th April 2011
  #1518
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
Oh I have some demo clips of the JP8 I created when I first got mine 10 years ago...



It's when I see videos like this I can understand why some people on this forum are so p*ssed that Rolands latest effort wasn't an analogue redux of some kind. Those voices are so juicy.
Old 13th April 2011
  #1519
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
The fact that you don't understand the conceptual difference between a Trident and Jupiter-8 is laughable. And because you don't understand that, you simply don't get the point of what I'm saying.
Yea, I don't get the point of anything about synths. That's why I receive three/four synthesizer questions from people every day in my email, and can't even answer them all timely. And that's why I don't have one of the top google-rated synthesizer websites out there. I know nothing about synths. People who don't even have a Jupiter-8 and claim to know everything about it, those are the really knowledgeable people. Like you. That's just a classic.
Old 13th April 2011
  #1520
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 

I watched the Howard Jones interview/demo of the Jupiter-80 last night. I'm not sure what everyone was expecting in the year 2011, but soundwise it seems to get the job done. I think they should have omitted the touch screen and made all of the hands on controls available like the old JP8, that's where the immediate hands on mojo of the original turns people on! And oviouslly that analog sound. You wanna feel like a craftsman and not a computer programmer. So I don't get why they left that out, but soundwise it sounded pretty good to me. Oviouslly more sounds are available on the 80 than the 8, but it seems to have the Roland sound, so for folks who dig that sound it seems like they would be excited to get one.

I thought the machine was fairly silky sounding, but not in a bad way. Future owners could always run it through some grittier, beefy sounding audio chains to add some different juice. Or, through amps and mic those, alot like they were used back in the day when people understood how to get a sound through means of engineering.

steelyfan
Old 13th April 2011
  #1521
Old 13th April 2011
  #1522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post

i would...
Old 13th April 2011
  #1523
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Let me guess.... it's because of the Lucky Man patch and the VEGA$ mode.

I've sent 1482 e-mails to Roland so far begging them to put a VEGA$ mode in Jupiter 80. I think i might be on something, as they promised to look for it in future OS release.
Yes, exactly. And if they add a Vegas mode, I'm plunking down my moola before I ever even play it myself! heh

-andrews
Old 13th April 2011
  #1524
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
90% of the people here proclaim to HATE this synth, but then they say "UUUHHH.... I want to try it at the store".
Old 13th April 2011
  #1525
Lives for gear
 
Xero's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
90% of the people here proclaim to HATE this synth, but then they say "UUUHHH.... I want to try it at the store".
i don't really hate the synth

i just hate what roland has become

i'd try it, why not? who cares?
Old 13th April 2011
  #1526
Gear Addict
 
wladymeer's Avatar
I hate black/white comparison, especially if I haven't tried it before. That's what I find wrong with this thread - if you don't bash it, you must love it and you must be Roland agent.

As I've asked before, does anyone recall 1st demo at any show for any synth that blew your mind?

I think synths nowadays are just very broad sound-wise to make any real impression until you try it out for yourself.

Sure, it probably failed to continue Jupiter's legacy, sure, it is expensive, and, sure, it won't be any good "bang for buck" for electronic people like GS, but it's also sure that 40 out of 53 pages of this thread are here just because it carries Jupiter name. And that's something I didn't expect to see here. To be honest, I find it childish to bash any product just because of its name, especially when you do know that not just Roland but KORG also used their legendary synth names for new products.

Now lets get back on topic, there is one thing I really don't understand - it was meant for performers, but you have main focus on guitar strums and marimba thrills? Am I missing some point here? How many real performers use this on daily basis except when playing Toto? heh
Old 14th April 2011
  #1527
Shy
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wladymeer View Post
As I've asked before, does anyone recall 1st demo at any show for any synth that blew your mind?
M-Audio Venom, it blew my mind that M-Audio releases such a serious, powerful -synth-, that actually sounds unique and with viper balls.
(never mind the build quality, that was expected)
Old 14th April 2011
  #1528
Lives for gear
 
CoolColJ's Avatar
 

I haven't tried the dual/split modes on the Jupiter 8 much in the 10 years I've owned it!
So I decided to try it out today, and man does it sound silky, rich and lush!

Hard to believe it's vintage analog sometimes, it's so refined sounding.

I'm guessing this is what Roland is going for in the Jupiter 80....

Old 14th April 2011
  #1529
Lives for gear
 
Xero's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
I haven't tried the dual/split modes on the Jupiter 8 much in the 10 years I've owned it!
i use split all the time

i must admit though, i very rarely use dual. I want to go try it now. 4xVCO of jupitery goodness? hmm!!
Old 14th April 2011
  #1530
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

The "wha huh?" of it all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
90% of the people here proclaim to HATE this synth, but then they say "UUUHHH.... I want to try it at the store".
I think the two issues that get confused here are:

1. "Expectation" of what the synth brand's "could, would, should" be.

And...

2. The synth as it stands on its own.


And most of the personal arguments here seem to be one of those two seperate issues being argued, defended or simply confused for the other.


-andrews


P.S. Oh, and that Jupiter sucks!!! (heh)
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump