The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Classic Techno thread
Old 14th January 2020
  #61
Lives for gear
 




total classic, literally timeless
Old 14th January 2020
  #62
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY___ View Post
And someone should point out that the Alex Empire remix is a remix of this Detroit Anthem by "DJ Rolando A.K.A The AZTEC MYSTIC FOR UNDERGROUND RESISTANCE"

THE JAGUAR!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK2qFtDanxw
what Alec Empire "remix"?

'Jaguar' was just the name of one of his many side projects, though obviously heavily influenced by the UR/Detroit scene. his first release under that name was '94 (from what i can see this other guy never used the name until '96?):

Old 14th January 2020
  #63
Lives for gear
 
Acid Mitch's Avatar
 

The original UR release was "Knights of the Jaguar". A Sony subsidiary wanted to re release it in europe but UR denied them , so Sony stuck 2 fingers up at UR and made and released a cover version named "Jaguar".
It did not credit UR or Rolando and after getting flooded with complaints from fans the cover version was pulled from stores after selling a couple of thousand copies.
Old 14th January 2020
  #64
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
No mention of DJ Dick Weekend or Hablando by Ramirez?
TUNE! Have this somewhere on vinyl...

Old 14th January 2020
  #65
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
The original UR release was "Knights of the Jaguar". A Sony subsidiary wanted to re release it in europe but UR denied them , so Sony stuck 2 fingers up at UR and made and released a cover version named "Jaguar".
It did not credit UR or Rolando and after getting flooded with complaints from fans the cover version was pulled from stores after selling a couple of thousand copies.
ok... but wtf does this have to do with Alec Empire using the name 'Jaguar'? still, looks like none of the UR/Rolando stuff came out until '96 or even '99? he'd already been using it by then.

that, and the tune is crap to begin with (like a lot of the UR stuff, very "hit or miss"). i remember the guy at the local import shop ordering it for me based on the name (he knew i was a fan and had bought one of Empire's 'Jaguar' releases from them months before). big disappointment when i heard it and realized what it was.
Old 14th January 2020
  #66
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Knights of the Jaguar crap

It's got all the classic Detroit elements ... those strings kill me!

I do prefer this classic though - TURN IT UP



And they sure don't make 'em like this anymore

Old 4 weeks ago
  #67
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
ok... but wtf does this have to do with Alec Empire using the name 'Jaguar'? still, looks like none of the UR/Rolando stuff came out until '96 or even '99? he'd already been using it by then.

that, and the tune is crap to begin with (like a lot of the UR stuff, very "hit or miss"). i remember the guy at the local import shop ordering it for me based on the name (he knew i was a fan and had bought one of Empire's 'Jaguar' releases from them months before). big disappointment when i heard it and realized what it was.
It's okay - everyone has tastes that they like, however I was kinda bummed when you mentioned 'that, and teh tune is crap to begin with (like a lot of the UR stuff, very "hit or miss")" - UR was a very import part of the experimentation of Techno. Honestly, they were good people, having a good time.

Frankly, I am somewhat inclined to show you how much so by buying your ticket to "Movement Festival" in Detroit ( as long as you can get there) to experience it.

I'm curious to see your reaction when they play Jaguar and just to get to meet other people that like techno like yourself.

It's a fun time... and they have Corn dogs!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #68
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Knights of the Jaguar crap

It's got all the classic Detroit elements ... those strings kill me!

I do prefer this classic though - TURN IT UP



And they sure don't make 'em like this anymore

Whew! That brought back memories! Love that "Transitions" track
Old 4 weeks ago
  #69
Gear Maniac
There also was an interesting element going on in the New York Techno scene at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XZjV2mpvVk

This one was always interesting to me - although not techno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3cfGzuICzA
Old 4 weeks ago
  #70
Gear Maniac
@ scottdavidson - Very true - Very Classic!

That track just reminded me of the Orlando Voorn (o.voorn) "Fix-flash"!!!

Quote:
Fix - Flash [1992] - YouTube



Label: KMS Catalog#: KMS 043 Format: Vinyl, 12" Country: US Released: 1992 Genre: Electronic Style: Techno Credits: Producer, Written-By, Mixed By - Orlando ...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #71
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY___ View Post
There also was an interesting element going on in the New York Techno scene at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XZjV2mpvVk

This one was always interesting to me - although not techno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3cfGzuICzA
Funny, I never really got into strictly rhythm - went off on a path more tread by Bones then into the UK scene, until electro / Aux88 etc all picked up.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #72
For me Techno was always pre 92.
As Techno got quicker and more minimal anything 4/4 that went over 126 BPM was getting too quick for me, I was getting my kicks from the Italo and Jersey sound at the time.
As a teenager who was blown away by the Bellville 3 and the rest at the time, it was Blake Baxter though that really stood out for me.
The way he worked the Hi-Hats, and brought tension to a record just blew me away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJFh..._radio=1&t=239
Old 5 days ago
  #73
Gear Maniac
@ jbuonacc

Your ticket has been purchased for the biggest day of Detroit.Electronic.Music.Festival. otherwise known as MOVEMENT or movement.us . 3 of 4 of the original inventors of techno will be playing this year. Also a large swath of Hawtins label. Actually this year looks to be going to the solids. Oh I think your ticket is on the day that "Underworld" is playing. Your ticket for that day has purchased. Private message me to get details so I can get it to you in-person. Also let me know if you need accommodations and I'm sure the whole Detroit family would be happy to get you a comfortable place to stay. I did this because I really believe in it and wanted you to see it in person. It is awe-inspiring along with the super friendly people. I only wish you get to see it in the best situation - hence why I bought you a ticket.

Also, I don't have the money to do this... but I wanted you to see this for yourself.

Last edited by NY___; 5 days ago at 08:09 AM.. Reason: wording & 2nd ps. I don't have the money to do this but I wanted you to see this!
Old 5 days ago
  #74
Lives for gear
 
duplobaustein's Avatar
Old 5 days ago
  #75
Gear Maniac
Well that is a little intimidating ... it's not the thunderdome.. it's the technodome - and all friends are welcome.
Old 5 days ago
  #76
Gear Maniac
Quote:
X-Mix 9 Kevin Saunderson - Transmission From Deep Space Radio 1997 - YouTube



Kevin Saunderson, one of Detroit techno`s founding fathers and an inspirational DJ who can lift a crowd with anything from hard techno to slick, funky house,...
DJ MINX will be there!
Old 5 days ago
  #77
Lives for gear
 
breakmixer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY___ View Post
@ scottdavidson - Very true - Very Classic!

That track just reminded me of the Orlando Voorn (o.voorn) "Fix-flash"!!!
This sounds good, I recognised it, it's samples of an old P-Funk tune I own on 12", P Funk All Stars - Hydraulic Pump from the early 80's.
Old 4 days ago
  #78
Gear Maniac
I would really like to see a rollerskate (wide) circle around the Horace E. Dodge Fountain.. just an idea...

Quote:
De La Soul - A Roller Skating Jam Named Saturdays - YouTube



We shot this video at Lace's roller rink on Long Island. Russell Simmons came through to shoot his part at the top of the track, that was big having him on t...
Old 4 days ago
  #79
Gear Maniac
Add a couple Ford/bird scooters to get around on that awesome skate rink -- sick!
Old 4 days ago
  #80
Gear Maniac
Yep... Kenny Dixon's Soul Skate needs to be acknowledged.

Quote:
Soul Skate 2018 - YouTube



Soul Skate is the roller disco that’s central to Detroit’s cultural legacy. This new documentary from Carhartt WIP, NTS and Dazed takes a look inside the wor...
Old 4 days ago
  #81
Lives for gear
 



Probably my favourite of the "first wave" , and they didnt even bother giving it a name.. I remember buying this 12" about 30 years ago and being a bit disappointed with the lead track but being absolutely blown away by this b side.
This totally deserves a name.
Old 4 days ago
  #82
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY___ View Post
This one was always interesting to me - although not techno

great to see the video of that.
Old 2 days ago
  #83
Lives for gear
 
duplobaustein's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY___ View Post
Well that is a little intimidating ... it's not the thunderdome.. it's the technodome - and all friends are welcome.
This is techno in it's most arcane form.
Old 1 day ago
  #84
Gear Maniac
 
Qliphoth's Avatar


Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump