The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Anyone know how to mount a CD image onto a scsi2sd V6 for an akai s1100?
I'm not sure what tool to use under windows but I've done it under OSX. Plug the SCSI2SD in to the computer with a USB cable. From the terminal you can use (from memory):

To get a list off all the drives connected to the computer and their disk identifier names.
Code:
diskutil list
To copy the CDROM image to the SCSI2SD virtual disk:
Code:
sudo dd if=<filename of CDROM disk image> of=<disk identifier name>
e.g. on my system its something like:
Code:
sudo dd if=oldsamplelibrary.iso of=/dev/disk3
this process can take a while and by default does not give any feedback to the user on how far it has progressed. Pressing control-t will cause it to report where its up to at the time.

then to finish up:
Code:
sudo diskutil eject <disk identifier name>
on my system this would be something like
Code:
sudo diskutil eject /dev/disk3
Selecting the right disk identifier can be tricky, particularly if your SCSI2SD v6 has lots of drives set up on it. I have found that the disk identifiers change each time I connect to the SCSI2SD making this process a bit dangerous. It can help to have an SD card setup with only one drive on it. Obviously, don't try to write to a drive that has all your important stuff on it. Use at your own risk etc.
Show replies
Gear Maniac
Ok I now have an embarassingly stupid question regarding importing samples into the Yamaha A5000.

Gone through the not easy process of installing an internal CF card & also bought a SCSI to SD which I can conneted up no problem externally

Basking in my cleverness I thought now, just like my Roland & Akai samplers, , how easy it will be to then drag & drop files on the SD cards on the PC and plug into A5000 and bingo...
......except I forgot the Yamaha uses a file system not recognized by windows

So every time I put and SD into the PC it says "card need formating"or similar etc ...oops

????So how do you get Yamaha files on the SD cards?? please help??
Show replies
Gear Head

Quote:
Anyone know how to mount a CD image onto a scsi2sd V6 for an akai s1100?
Using Windows XP, I use HDD Raw Copy Tool. I haven't had v6 for long, so I have a bug where a CD partition on SCSI2SD doesn't seem to have the full 650MB I allocate to it, so I set it up as a hard disk and copy the CD image over. That seems to work for me.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutjob View Post
With SCSI2SD v5 (AFAIK) there's no easy way to mount the volume on the computer. You essentially need a SCSI interface for the computer and you can then mount the drive over SCSI. You can get USB SCSI interfaces on the 2nd hand market but I don't know about which models to use nor know anything about drivers. I have a vintage PC and Mac both with SCSI but that's not a particularly easy route either

SCSI2SD v6 lets you mount the drives over direct USB connection to the PC - way easier to deal with.
You can mount the volumes if the SCSI2SD v5 is installed in your PC and then connected to the sampler through the external SCSI port. It’s exactly how it works for me.
Show replies
Gear Head

Much of this (long) thread advises "slapping" images onto a SCSI2SD, and also using the command line "dd" command.

May I suggest a far easier and efficient way of doing this? Use Translator [Free], it is fully SCSI2SD compliant. "Slapping" images to the SD works, but it is significantly inefficient. For example, if you have a 32GB SD card with v6.0, you have 7 4GB ID's. (This is often the case with EMu.) Slapping an image to a 4GB SD card - you've just totally wasted 3.3GB.

Instead, you can use Translator [Free] to move whatever you want from the CD/disk/image to the SD card itself. You can make accurate compilations - you don't have to move all the files over - just the ones you want.

It has a great GUI, so you can audition any samples on these proprietary disks while you are at it. "dd" just isn't necessary, with it's blind usage and archaic command line interface.

There are tons of other tools included (again, for free) that will help you with your SD card management with SCSI2SD.

Works on Mac and Windows, all operating systems.And it's FREE!

http://www.chickensys.com/translatorfree
Show replies
Gear Head

I cna also suggest a great website (that I personally oversee, since we have a massive amount of multi-sampler SCSI2SD experience)...

http://www.scsi2sd.info

This contains up-to-date information on SCSI2SD and lots of sampler-specific hints that can save you a lot of time and hassle. In fact, most of the questions here have been answered there, in a more brief and concise and accurate manner.
Show replies
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutjob View Post
With SCSI2SD v5 (AFAIK) there's no easy way to mount the volume on the computer. You essentially need a SCSI interface for the computer and you can then mount the drive over SCSI. You can get USB SCSI interfaces on the 2nd hand market but I don't know about which models to use nor know anything about drivers. I have a vintage PC and Mac both with SCSI but that's not a particularly easy route either

SCSI2SD v6 lets you mount the drives over direct USB connection to the PC - way easier to deal with.
Think I'll get the SCSI2SD v6 for my Akai then, thanks for the advice!
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickeneps View Post
Much of this (long) thread advises "slapping" images onto a SCSI2SD, and also using the command line "dd" command.

May I suggest a far easier and efficient way of doing this? Use Translator [Free], it is fully SCSI2SD compliant. "Slapping" images to the SD works, but it is significantly inefficient. For example, if you have a 32GB SD card with v6.0, you have 7 4GB ID's. (This is often the case with EMu.) Slapping an image to a 4GB SD card - you've just totally wasted 3.3GB.

Instead, you can use Translator [Free] to move whatever you want from the CD/disk/image to the SD card itself. You can make accurate compilations - you don't have to move all the files over - just the ones you want.

It has a great GUI, so you can audition any samples on these proprietary disks while you are at it. "dd" just isn't necessary, with it's blind usage and archaic command line interface.

There are tons of other tools included (again, for free) that will help you with your SD card management with SCSI2SD.

Works on Mac and Windows, all operating systems.And it's FREE!

http://www.chickensys.com/translatorfree
Had no idea there was a free version! Thanks!
Show replies
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Had no idea there was a free version! Thanks!
Seems really odd that it would have this feature, when the demo (or "free version") doesn't even do any actual "translations" (its core feature!).

Can you explain how this is done? It's not clear from the software. It would be ideal to have multiple "CDs" (ISO images) in there without converting them into programs first, but I was under the impression this is not possible without multiple partitions. And this is inconvenient if you have dozens of CDs... Currently I've got a single 64GB SD card that's formatted (on the Akai) as a single "hard disk" volume. This works great for drag'n'drop but not much else.
Show replies

Last edited by Mach1na; 1 week ago at 12:34 PM..
📝 Reply