The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions
Old 19th July 2020
  #2161
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickeneps View Post
You can always check 'Check Unlettered Drives' in Options-General, so you don't have to assign the peripheral a drive letter.
yup, did that.
just did the same thing with a zip cartridge, exactly the same. when i put one in that came from the sampler, it was recognised immediately and appeared on the Proprietary tab.
win10 64bit here.
Old 19th July 2020
  #2162
Gear Head
 

Great
Old 25th July 2020
  #2163
Gear Nut
 

Long shot, but I’m wondering if anyone has used a SCSI2SD with an Akai Remix 16 with the SCSI add on board. It’s not on the supported list, but hoping someone has tried/used it.
Old 23rd August 2020
  #2164
666
Lives for gear
 
666's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
Are you sure you have inserted the SCSI cable the right way? I recall that at least in my Kurzweil and E-mu, probably Akai too, can't remember exactly, one end of the cable needs to be inserted in reverse. This can be hard if your flat cable connectors have those nodules, you have to sand them flat.

However you need to make sure if this is the cause of the problem before proceeding. First check if there's a small '1' in the pcb showing the first pin. Then orient the cable so that the stripe goes to the side with '1'. To be sure you should probably download a service manual and double check the SCSI connector pin order.
Dude just wanted to say thank you for a problem that’s been plaguing me for over a year!!! My Emax was working with SCSI2SD till I decided to swap the cable to make it longer to Mount it, and it didnt work again. I was thinking I detached the scsi pins or messed up the board (the old cable didn’t come out of the board very gracefully) but I just sanded the little nub and put it in upside down and it’s working again!!!

The Emax runs so much faster from scsi so I’m stoked. Thanks!!
Old 23rd August 2020
  #2165
666
Lives for gear
 
666's Avatar
Now I just have to remember how the heck to make disk images and put them on the Emax in EMXP...
Old 23rd August 2020
  #2166
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Now I just have to remember how the heck to make disk images and put them on the Emax in EMXP...
having another look at EMXP, which seems to have been updated
http://users.skynet.be/emxp/features.htm
Old 23rd August 2020
  #2167
666
Lives for gear
 
666's Avatar
Yeah mainly ESI updates. If I ever get my head around it I’ll make a guide as it stumps me every time. I’ve been using R Massives too to make hfe files from Emax banks and its so quick and easy. EMXP is such an amazing thing but it’s scsi2sd procedure is pretty impenetrable for me. The manual is super dense too.
Old 23rd August 2020
  #2168
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
Our studio is mainly SCSI -- 3 Kurzweils -- our DAW and its external drives -- all SCSI ... Our DAW connects SCSI to Pci Card to the PC
Old 24th August 2020
  #2169
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Yeah mainly ESI updates. If I ever get my head around it I’ll make a guide as it stumps me every time. I’ve been using R Massives too to make hfe files from Emax banks and its so quick and easy. EMXP is such an amazing thing but it’s scsi2sd procedure is pretty impenetrable for me. The manual is super dense too.
i found the DOS style difficult last time i looked. like the idea though (more if the text was green like an old Amstrad !).
it looks like it can handle cdrom images now. i'm a bit more familiar with that now, previously assumed it needed physical CDs.

hfe are single floppy images, aren't they? is that what you have to deal with on the EMAX? i've seen emax cd images in a couple of google drives i've been browsing. the ESi changes are interesting for me, especially with soundfont as an interchange format -but with Translator i have an easier interface, and the 'virtual drive' concept is easy enough.

have yet to do it in Translator, but you create partitions on the flash drive as SCSI drive IDs, and format them with your intented prorietary format. scsi2sd v6 does 7 IDs and v5 does 4. how much space you allocate to partitions depends how big a drive the sampler can see.

'virtual drives' are like folders, formatted to a predetermined size and proprietary format. you can open and read a cd image file, and drag/copy items across into the new empty 'image', or directly onto the flash drives.
that is for Translator. don't know how it's done with EMXP.
Old 24th August 2020
  #2170
666
Lives for gear
 
666's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post
i found the DOS style difficult last time i looked. like the idea though (more if the text was green like an old Amstrad !).
it looks like it can handle cdrom images now. i'm a bit more familiar with that now, previously assumed it needed physical CDs.

hfe are single floppy images, aren't they? is that what you have to deal with on the EMAX? i've seen emax cd images in a couple of google drives i've been browsing. the ESi changes are interesting for me, especially with soundfont as an interchange format -but with Translator i have an easier interface, and the 'virtual drive' concept is easy enough.

have yet to do it in Translator, but you create partitions on the flash drive as SCSI drive IDs, and format them with your intented prorietary format. scsi2sd v6 does 7 IDs and v5 does 4. how much space you allocate to partitions depends how big a drive the sampler can see.

'virtual drives' are like folders, formatted to a predetermined size and proprietary format. you can open and read a cd image file, and drag/copy items across into the new empty 'image', or directly onto the flash drives.
that is for Translator. don't know how it's done with EMXP.
Yeah I dont mind the style and I can do sample dumps off the SP12 pretty quick & easy. HFE are floppy images, yeah and that's what i've got on the EMAX at the moment. You can store way more floppy images on a Gotek than you can samples on 7 partitions of an SD card in SCSI2SD but it's so much faster, it's worth it. The flash floppy is kinda limitless while the SD card can only use 7 x 20mb banks.

I think the images are .EZ1 but i'm yet to dive into it properly, need a good clear night ahead of me to get through.

I've partitioned the SD into 7 x 20mb blocks and the Emax can see the partitions, and ive even previously loaded banks onto ID 0 & 1, but remember it was a headache to get my head around. EMXP has no physical drag & drop, you need to key yourway through it and select the correct options. Its just not clear how to do that with the SCSI2SD part of it. Hope to get to it this weekend.
Old 24th August 2020
  #2171
Lives for gear
for my s5000(and s6000 now ) its certainly gonna be scsi2sd(8gb sandisk).
scsi2sd wont be much more than a hdd.
scsi2sd willl use less power, so not stressing an old power supply.

scsi hdd's are gonna be closer to their grave than i am to mine.
the hdd would be in the same area as the power supply and its gonna be hot there an hdd's get hot anyway.
ide dont work and a scsi/ide/cf may not work, i aint wasting money.
Old 7th September 2020
  #2172
666
Lives for gear
 
666's Avatar
Do I need any splitters or special hardware to install a SCSI2SD V6 internally in an Akai S1100? Want to put it where the floppy drive sits. Going to buy a V6 & a mount for it.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 50 views: 27841
Avatar for SEED78
SEED78 14th December 2017
replies: 1623 views: 211080
Avatar for UnderTheStairs
UnderTheStairs 4th September 2020
replies: 52 views: 16316
Avatar for kazper
kazper 11th June 2015
replies: 263 views: 49211
Avatar for ArtFluids
ArtFluids 2nd July 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump