The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions
Old 19th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickeneps View Post
You can always check 'Check Unlettered Drives' in Options-General, so you don't have to assign the peripheral a drive letter.
yup, did that.
just did the same thing with a zip cartridge, exactly the same. when i put one in that came from the sampler, it was recognised immediately and appeared on the Proprietary tab.
win10 64bit here.
Old 19th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Great
Old 25th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Long shot, but I’m wondering if anyone has used a SCSI2SD with an Akai Remix 16 with the SCSI add on board. It’s not on the supported list, but hoping someone has tried/used it.
Old 23rd August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
Are you sure you have inserted the SCSI cable the right way? I recall that at least in my Kurzweil and E-mu, probably Akai too, can't remember exactly, one end of the cable needs to be inserted in reverse. This can be hard if your flat cable connectors have those nodules, you have to sand them flat.

However you need to make sure if this is the cause of the problem before proceeding. First check if there's a small '1' in the pcb showing the first pin. Then orient the cable so that the stripe goes to the side with '1'. To be sure you should probably download a service manual and double check the SCSI connector pin order.
Dude just wanted to say thank you for a problem that’s been plaguing me for over a year!!! My Emax was working with SCSI2SD till I decided to swap the cable to make it longer to Mount it, and it didnt work again. I was thinking I detached the scsi pins or messed up the board (the old cable didn’t come out of the board very gracefully) but I just sanded the little nub and put it in upside down and it’s working again!!!

The Emax runs so much faster from scsi so I’m stoked. Thanks!!
Lives for gear

Now I just have to remember how the heck to make disk images and put them on the Emax in EMXP...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Now I just have to remember how the heck to make disk images and put them on the Emax in EMXP...
having another look at EMXP, which seems to have been updated
http://users.skynet.be/emxp/features.htm
Lives for gear

Yeah mainly ESI updates. If I ever get my head around it I’ll make a guide as it stumps me every time. I’ve been using R Massives too to make hfe files from Emax banks and its so quick and easy. EMXP is such an amazing thing but it’s scsi2sd procedure is pretty impenetrable for me. The manual is super dense too.
Old 23rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Our studio is mainly SCSI -- 3 Kurzweils -- our DAW and its external drives -- all SCSI ... Our DAW connects SCSI to Pci Card to the PC
Old 24th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah mainly ESI updates. If I ever get my head around it I’ll make a guide as it stumps me every time. I’ve been using R Massives too to make hfe files from Emax banks and its so quick and easy. EMXP is such an amazing thing but it’s scsi2sd procedure is pretty impenetrable for me. The manual is super dense too.
i found the DOS style difficult last time i looked. like the idea though (more if the text was green like an old Amstrad !).
it looks like it can handle cdrom images now. i'm a bit more familiar with that now, previously assumed it needed physical CDs.

hfe are single floppy images, aren't they? is that what you have to deal with on the EMAX? i've seen emax cd images in a couple of google drives i've been browsing. the ESi changes are interesting for me, especially with soundfont as an interchange format -but with Translator i have an easier interface, and the 'virtual drive' concept is easy enough.

have yet to do it in Translator, but you create partitions on the flash drive as SCSI drive IDs, and format them with your intented prorietary format. scsi2sd v6 does 7 IDs and v5 does 4. how much space you allocate to partitions depends how big a drive the sampler can see.

'virtual drives' are like folders, formatted to a predetermined size and proprietary format. you can open and read a cd image file, and drag/copy items across into the new empty 'image', or directly onto the flash drives.
that is for Translator. don't know how it's done with EMXP.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post
i found the DOS style difficult last time i looked. like the idea though (more if the text was green like an old Amstrad !).
it looks like it can handle cdrom images now. i'm a bit more familiar with that now, previously assumed it needed physical CDs.

hfe are single floppy images, aren't they? is that what you have to deal with on the EMAX? i've seen emax cd images in a couple of google drives i've been browsing. the ESi changes are interesting for me, especially with soundfont as an interchange format -but with Translator i have an easier interface, and the 'virtual drive' concept is easy enough.

have yet to do it in Translator, but you create partitions on the flash drive as SCSI drive IDs, and format them with your intented prorietary format. scsi2sd v6 does 7 IDs and v5 does 4. how much space you allocate to partitions depends how big a drive the sampler can see.

'virtual drives' are like folders, formatted to a predetermined size and proprietary format. you can open and read a cd image file, and drag/copy items across into the new empty 'image', or directly onto the flash drives.
that is for Translator. don't know how it's done with EMXP.
Yeah I dont mind the style and I can do sample dumps off the SP12 pretty quick & easy. HFE are floppy images, yeah and that's what i've got on the EMAX at the moment. You can store way more floppy images on a Gotek than you can samples on 7 partitions of an SD card in SCSI2SD but it's so much faster, it's worth it. The flash floppy is kinda limitless while the SD card can only use 7 x 20mb banks.

I think the images are .EZ1 but i'm yet to dive into it properly, need a good clear night ahead of me to get through.

I've partitioned the SD into 7 x 20mb blocks and the Emax can see the partitions, and ive even previously loaded banks onto ID 0 & 1, but remember it was a headache to get my head around. EMXP has no physical drag & drop, you need to key yourway through it and select the correct options. Its just not clear how to do that with the SCSI2SD part of it. Hope to get to it this weekend.
Lives for gear
for my s5000(and s6000 now ) its certainly gonna be scsi2sd(8gb sandisk).
scsi2sd wont be much more than a hdd.
scsi2sd willl use less power, so not stressing an old power supply.

scsi hdd's are gonna be closer to their grave than i am to mine.
the hdd would be in the same area as the power supply and its gonna be hot there an hdd's get hot anyway.
ide dont work and a scsi/ide/cf may not work, i aint wasting money.
Old 7th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Do I need any splitters or special hardware to install a SCSI2SD V6 internally in an Akai S1100? Want to put it where the floppy drive sits. Going to buy a V6 & a mount for it.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucin Niega View Post
So, I installed the SCSI2SD-V6. I updated the firmware (6.0.8) via usb. There is a problem though. The screen of my s1100 is stuck on "waiting for hard disk ready... SKIP" (screen). It won't let me skip it. Sampler is unresponsive. When I unplug the SCSI cable it works as normal. I tried terminated and unterminated settings in the software with no luck. Any ideas?
This could be a blow SCSI fuse. See: http://initself.audio/gear/akai-s110..._scsi_fuse.htm
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do I need any splitters or special hardware to install a SCSI2SD V6 internally in an Akai S1100? Want to put it where the floppy drive sits. Going to buy a V6 & a mount for it.
I didn't have the guts to replace the floppy on mine. I routed the internal cable through the back.

This guy mounted his on the back: https://www.gee-jee.net/?p=412

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Good evening, can anyone provide assistance for this question. I purchased an
Avid Ultra 320 LV SCSI hard drive for my Ensoniq ASR 10 but the keyboard never recognized the hard drive. I wanted to know if this Avid Ultra 320 LV SCSI hard drive is compatible to the Ensoniq ASRX Pro and if so where can I purchase a SCSI cable to connect it. Also if someone can recommend the best SCSI hard drive for the ASR 10 I would gladly appreciate it.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Hilaire View Post
Good evening, can anyone provide assistance for this question. I purchased an
Avid Ultra 320 LV SCSI hard drive for my Ensoniq ASR 10 but the keyboard never recognized the hard drive. I wanted to know if this Avid Ultra 320 LV SCSI hard drive is compatible to the Ensoniq ASRX Pro and if so where can I purchase a SCSI cable to connect it. Also if someone can recommend the best SCSI hard drive for the ASR 10 I would gladly appreciate it.
I recommend you to drop hard disk usage.
Go SCSI2SD instead. Similar price, zero issues, more speed, zero maintenance and most important: easy data interchangeability between the computer and the sampler (via an SD card).

If you go v6 (a bit more expensive) you will get further advantages (10x speed, direct USB support, etc.).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

So, someone may have already gone over this, but there are 73 pages...

Have people got any of the SCSI clones working for the Akai S950? Would be great to have a whole bank of 60mb drives to use instead of faffing about with HD disks via the Gotek that can't even hold the full memory (expanded) of the sampler, per disk.

By which I mean a clone of both the IB109, which seems to be unicorn-like, and then some sort of USB or SD card reader into the cloned SCSI port.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Bottle View Post
So, someone may have already gone over this, but there are 73 pages...

Have people got any of the SCSI clones working for the Akai S950? Would be great to have a whole bank of 60mb drives to use instead of faffing about with HD disks via the Gotek that can't even hold the full memory (expanded) of the sampler, per disk.

By which I mean a clone of both the IB109, which seems to be unicorn-like, and then some sort of USB or SD card reader into the cloned SCSI port.
Do you mean this?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero View Post
Do you mean this?
Yes, yes I do. That music in the background went perfectly with my emotions as I watched the video, which I guess was the intention.

The question is, is that a real IB-109, which you can't find anywhere, or some kind of more readily available clone? And what exact SCSI2SD interface was used? Was hoping someone that has already done this can tell me exactly what's needed, rather than having to experiment and hope for the best.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, yes I do. That music in the background went perfectly with my emotions as I watched the video, which I guess was the intention.

The question is, is that a real IB-109, which you can't find anywhere, or some kind of more readily available clone? And what exact SCSI2SD interface was used? Was hoping someone that has already done this can tell me exactly what's needed, rather than having to experiment and hope for the best.
Basically, there are two SCSI2SD interfaces: v5.1 and v6. Both work fine with the S950.

V5.1 price is about 60€, can emulate multiple drives at once with just one SD card (eg. a virtual CD-ROM plus a virtual floppy disk and virtual hard drive). To write data on the SD card you have to move it to the computer and use a disk image transfer tool.

v6: price is about 110€. It runs 10x faster than v5 and allow writing contents to the sampler via USB from the computer (it turns the sampler into a USB-capable device).

Both can be powered through the SCSI cable so no additional power source is needed.

I don’t have any details about the IB-109, sorry.

The SCSI2SD interface is an open source project (if i’m not wrong) and it’s offered by several dealers. I got mine from Amigastore.eu:

https://amigastore.eu/en/?no_mobile_theme
Gear Head

Quote:
I've bought two IB-109 clones, one from Artmix (Japan) another from Dope****Only (Italy?). Both work fine with the SCSI2SD (tested with 5.0, 5.5).
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Hilaire View Post
Also if someone can recommend the best SCSI hard drive for the ASR 10 I would gladly appreciate it.
Likely the most common answer is to not go with noisy SCSI hard drives, and go with SCSI2SD. ASR10 works fine with my v5.0, v5.5 (and probably v5.1 and v6 too, but I haven't tested the ASR-10 with these).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Awesome info, I'm looking into this now, thanks so much!
Lives for gear

Damn, as far as I can tell, it's going to cost nearly as much to do this as I paid for the actual sampler (fully expanded, new screen, Gotek USB)... might just have to stick with the USB.
Gear Head

Quote:
Damn, as far as I can tell, it's going to cost nearly as much to do this as I paid for the actual sampler (fully expanded, new screen, Gotek USB)... might just have to stick with the USB.
Yes it is a cost vs convenience thing. I think with the memory size of the S950 fitting on to one or two floppys, it's not as bad as other samplers. But it is nice to just select a volume and load it at SCSI speeds.
Lives for gear

Quote:
My 900 can’t save more than a floppies worth, so the gotek is great. Anything more, scsi2sd is worth every penny and I always budget it into a sampler purchase. Put one straight into my s1100 and just for the speed it’s worth it. Benefits for Gotek is you can use as much of a USB sticks memory as you can fit images. Scsi2sd is usually capped by the samplers image size capability. My Emax is a huge culprit, but the speed it adds to the way the OS runs makes it a must.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hello everyone,

I have a SCSI 2SD v5 - 3.5" for my Akai 3k and Kurzweil 2k and everything seems to work fine.
Since I'm not only about to save the programs and samples from the Akai, but also to transfer them from PC, what is the best way to transfer the samples?

For Kurzweil I've found an easy way, but for Akai I couldn't find a good (free if possible) software to do the conversion into Akai format.

Any suggestions?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

SCSI2SD 5.1 for Kurzweil K2500XS

Hi. I've been trying forever to get a SCSI2SD 5.1 that I purchased off of ebay, pre-configured for my Kurzweil K2500XS, to work with an old SCSI HD so that I can copy my sounds, songs and misc files from the HD to the SCSI2SD. The SCSI2SD worked when it was the only SCSI device connected to the keyboard. I could see all 4 partitions of the 8GB SD card. However, if I connect the SCSI HD to the keyboard as well (and even when the HD isn't powered on), the SCSI2SD stops working and throws a "Not a DOS Disk" and then "Problem mounting disk" error.

From researching online and other thread on gearslutz someone mentioned that they were able to get the SCSI2SD to work after disabling the software controlled termination settings. So I downloaded the scsi2sd-util from codesrc for Mac, and then connected the SCSI2SD to my computer. It was able to see it right away, and on the first page of the utility I saw the termination setting. I disabled it and saved the change to the SCSI2SD. When I connected the SCSI2SD to my keyboard again, now it only saw 2 partitions. It seems that when I saved the termination setting that it also saved some other settings that changed the configuration of my SCSI2SD. So I'm hoping there's a SCSI2SD to Kurzweil user out there that might know what the settings should be in the scsi2sd-util to get me back to a configuration where I can see all 4 partitions again, and have internal termination disabled. Thanks.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petar View Post
I have a SCSI 2SD v5 - 3.5" for my Akai 3k <snip> what is the best way to transfer the samples?
With SCSI2SD v5 (AFAIK) there's no easy way to mount the volume on the computer. You essentially need a SCSI interface for the computer and you can then mount the drive over SCSI. You can get USB SCSI interfaces on the 2nd hand market but I don't know about which models to use nor know anything about drivers. I have a vintage PC and Mac both with SCSI but that's not a particularly easy route either

SCSI2SD v6 lets you mount the drives over direct USB connection to the PC - way easier to deal with.
Lives for gear

Anyone know how to mount a CD image onto a scsi2sd V6 for an akai s1100?
📝 Reply