The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions
Old 26th November 2018
  #1981
Gear Head
 
ultrawet's Avatar
i think you need scsi chain.....xp puter-scsi hdd or cd rom-sampler
maybe this way you can drop from xp puter on sampler hdd
Old 27th November 2018
  #1982
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
guys, I am new to this. Can I put directly files with usb to scsi adapter from winxp pc to my yamaha a4000, and then save it to internal hard drive? And what is best way to do that ? Thanks
I don't have a Yamaha sampler but this is normally done with "SCSI-SMDI"
Then you need:
-A working USB-SCSI adapter. (The Ratoc U2SCX is the only one which can do this I'm aware of)
-SCSI SMDI software (Recycle, old Wavelab, beatcreator, wavesurgeon etc)
-A working ASPI layer. Adaptec works untill WinXP 32 bit. all newer OSses or 64 bit OSses do not work with Adaptec ASPI. So you need to find another working ASPI driver. The Nexitech ASPI works for sure, but cost 200,- dollar per license.

See an example here:
YouTube

B.t.w.
older version of soundforge works on newer OSses without having a seperate ASPI layer.
Old 12th February 2019
  #1983
Lives for gear
 
RichTone's Avatar
 

Akai S3000XL:

V2.00 ROM

SCSI2SD V6 installed. Connected via 50 pin f/f with orientation inverted (ground/red stripe on right side instead of left) in order to provide internal power.

SCSI2SD Util6 with firmware 6.2.1. (latest to my knowledge)

Gen Screen:

Ensable SCSI terminator: Checked
Startup delay = 0
SCSI selection delay = 255 (default)

All other boxes unchecked

Device 1

Enable SCSI Target: Checked

SCSI ID = 5
Type = Hard Drive
SD Card Start Sector = 0
Sector = 512 bytes
Sector Count = 4194303
Device Size = 2GB

Boot Akai
Press Save
Press F5 to select "SCSI"
Set SCSI Device: 5
Local Device: 6
Press F6 "FORM"
Select "Hard Drive:"
Size = 60MB
Max = 1 (have tried as much as 9)
Press F7 "Format"
Select "YES"
"HARD DRIVE NOT READY"

Can never get past that no matter how I configure things. It's driving me nuts. Any help would be sincerely appreciated!
Old 14th February 2019
  #1984
Gear Addict
 

looks good, i have Sector Count = 4194304 insted of Sector Count = 4194303.

Only difference I use mine external on the S3000XL.
try "Enable Scsimode=2".
Old 14th February 2019
  #1985
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTone View Post
Startup delay = 0
I would never set a delay to 0 for something that is supposed to emulate an ancient hard drive.

But then, maybe i'm just wrong.
Old 26th February 2019
  #1986
Gear Head
 

This can flash partitioned sd cards in a minute, partition by partition. For example u can use it to flash sample cd ISOs to sd card partitions:

balenaEtcher - Home

Here i have scsi2sd v6 (7 partitions) card in E-MU E4XT partitioned like this:

1. Partition - hard disc space for samples, preset, banks
2. Partition - flashed ISO (E-mu Production set)
3. Partition - flashed ISO (X-static goldmine)

Cheers!
Old 26th February 2019
  #1987
Gear Addict
 
tiger001's Avatar
this substitutes the need for an external CD-ROM as the ISOs are readable by the sampler
tested with EMU E4 series and ROLAND S7xx series
Old 3rd March 2019
  #1988
Gear Nut
 
dysamoria's Avatar
Does anyone know why all the sellers of the SCSI2SD units have plenty of v5.1 units in stock but are out of stock on v6? It seems like every single seller is out of stock on the v6. Are they waiting for a batch to be built by someone? As open source hardware, I had assumed each seller was building or ordering the build of their own stock.
Old 3rd March 2019
  #1989
Here for the gear
RichTone - your settings look OK (same as mine but I'm using v5.1 scsi2sd) including the sector count of 4194303.

I had to check "Enable Parity" on the first page. I also have "Enable SCSI terminator" ticked.

Screenshot of settings: SCSI2HD, Akai S3000XL - Album on Imgur

Last edited by raveystabs; 3rd March 2019 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: Screenshot added
Old 4th March 2019
  #1990
Lives for gear
 
RichTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post
Does anyone know why all the sellers of the SCSI2SD units have plenty of v5.1 units in stock but are out of stock on v6? It seems like every single seller is out of stock on the v6. Are they waiting for a batch to be built by someone? As open source hardware, I had assumed each seller was building or ordering the build of their own stock.
I have the answer to that. Apparently their was a bad batch of V6s shipped out several months ago. As a result, I assume most retailers have returned them to whatever source they were purchasing them from. I imagine after getting numerous complaints from end-user like myself they just returned remaining stock. Having said that, V5 seems to be much more stable and create less fuss when it comes to integration with ancient operating systems (like those found in our favorite samplers & synths).
Old 4th March 2019
  #1991
Lives for gear
 
RichTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveystabs View Post
RichTone - your settings look OK (same as mine but I'm using v5.1 scsi2sd) including the sector count of 4194303.

I had to check "Enable Parity" on the first page. I also have "Enable SCSI terminator" ticked.

Screenshot of settings: SCSI2HD, Akai S3000XL - Album on Imgur
Thanks for the screenshots, Ravey. I don't recall if "Enable SCSI terminator" is available on the V6 (as I think V6 provides termination). It seems to me the issue is with the cards themselves (see my reply above). Poking around I've found lot and lots of people complaining about the V6s when it comes to integration with vintage samplers. Most threads end with the user picking up a V5 and it working out beautifully. I think that's why most sites no longer are stocking V6s. If I get these 6s rocking I will be sure to update. So far, no luck.
Old 6th March 2019
  #1992
Gear Nut
 
dysamoria's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTone View Post
I have the answer to that. Apparently their was a bad batch of V6s shipped out several months ago. As a result, I assume most retailers have returned them to whatever source they were purchasing them from. I imagine after getting numerous complaints from end-user like myself they just returned remaining stock. Having said that, V5 seems to be much more stable and create less fuss when it comes to integration with ancient operating systems (like those found in our favorite samplers & synths).
Very helpful response, thank you!

I guess that means I should buy the v 5.1 and forget about the faster transfer rates of the v6. The 5.1 has software selectable SCSI ID, which is at least one major annoyance solved over the v5 (as well as using normal size SD cards).
Old 11th March 2019
  #1993
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misonic View Post
This can flash partitioned sd cards in a minute, partition by partition. For example u can use it to flash sample cd ISOs to sd card partitions:

balenaEtcher - Home

Here i have scsi2sd v6 (7 partitions) card in E-MU E4XT partitioned like this:

1. Partition - hard disc space for samples, preset, banks
2. Partition - flashed ISO (E-mu Production set)
3. Partition - flashed ISO (X-static goldmine)

Cheers!
Misonic, I wondered how you are doing the partitions? Do you partition the card in say Windows Disk Manager and/or use Device 1/2/3/4 in the scsi2sd-util to line up sector starts and choose the device types? Is each partition acting like a different SCSI device?
Old 12th March 2019
  #1994
Gear Addict
 

i did copy one ISO with dd to a scsi2sd partition, my akai S3000XL can read the files but my kurzweil k2500rs only sees the first partition, any ideas?
Old 12th March 2019
  #1995
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveystabs View Post
Misonic, I wondered how you are doing the partitions? Do you partition the card in say Windows Disk Manager and/or use Device 1/2/3/4 in the scsi2sd-util to line up sector starts and choose the device types? Is each partition acting like a different SCSI device?
Mate all the partitioning is done inside the scsi2sd-util. Its a v6 card so no sector lining up is necessary (its automatic). You just have to decide the type of the partition (Hard disk, CD-ROM), SCSI number (unique) and its size.
Hard disk partition can be formatted inside the sampler (E-MU e4xt in my case) and for the CD-ROM partition you just flash it with the Etcher app(Free) when the card is connected via USB because the app sees it by default.

Cheers
Old 16th March 2019
  #1996
Here for the gear
Thanks Misonic. v5.1 is similar to that with 4 partition options, though it doesn't seem to partition the card when you "Save to device", so I guess it just preps the device for what to expect on the card.

I noticed Etcher doesn't seem to be able target a partition on the sdcard, it instead clobbers the whole drive with the image?
Old 2nd May 2019
  #1997
Here for the gear
 

Hi all, fairly new to gearsluts and forums etc, I have an emu-e5000 sampler and have been trying to find a drive to store my samples on, (the floppy drive..i cant take it anymore!!) I've looked/searched online, the truth is I'm not that tech savy so a bit confused as to how to go about this.
Is there such a things as an external scsi to compact flash drive or do I have to take apart the emu-e5000 to install it? Would prefer an external drive to avoid a potential mess on my part.. Lastly, if there is such a thing where in the world can I source/buy these drives??

Thanks!
(one confused emu user!)
Old 2nd May 2019
  #1998
Gear Addict
 

get one of these:
http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/ind...?title=SCSI2SD

maybe an old external scsi drive case too.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #1999
Here for the gear
 

thanks!
I did a search earlier and found this: https://cf2scsi.com/
have no idea if any of these will work tho.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #2000
Gear Head
 

I would not recommend the CF2SCSI, not as versatile as SCSI2SD and it is unclear if it's even compatible.

This is an all in one SCSI2SD solution - case, SCSI2SD, cable, SD card, full setup formatted for your Emu. Plug and play solution - you get it, plug it in, and it just works.

http://www.chickensys.com/products2/...e/scsi2sd.html
Old 2nd May 2019
  #2001
Here for the gear
 



THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2002
Gear Nut
 

Ensoniq ASR-X SCSI2SD V6 SD not recognized

Maybe someone can help me here...

I purchased an ASR-X from a seller on eBay with the internal SD mod and a 16gB SD card.

When attempting to load or Save the ASR comes up with the error message:
'Save A: Floppy Disk
Disk not readable'

I contacted the seller as first port of call who said that he rarely used it and did not know any details [ he purchased it from someone else on eBay with the option fitted ], said that it was working but could not confirm that the SD he had supplied was or wasn't working.

I did some online research [ the board is the SCSI2SD v6 ] and could confirm that there was a 2GB partition [ 'ENSONIQDISK' with the folder hierarchy in place, Banks, Sequence etc ] that my iMac can see.

Have downgraded firmware [ to the releases suggested as working by demane 22 much earlier in this thread ] and upgraded to recent ones. Have tried different combinations with settings in the Utils6 [ Demane also added a YT video showing these ] but no matter what I'm still getting the same error message on the ASR.

I had purchased a couple of smaller [ 2 / 4 GB ] SD cards based on further research but then read that you can only access SCSI options on the ASR if the floppy drive is still connected. [ Out of luck there ].

I think my next action is to open the unit and check whether all the SCSI mods are connected corrected but wanted to ask first if there was anything I might have missed?

[ I'm correct in assuming that with ASR-X the SCSI2SD board needs to be powered in some way? currently using Micro-USB ]

Thanks for wading through this!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2003
PHG
Gear Addict
 
PHG's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by taoyoyo View Post
Maybe someone can help me here...

I purchased an ASR-X from a seller on eBay with the internal SD mod and a 16gB SD card.

When attempting to load or Save the ASR comes up with the error message:
'Save A: Floppy Disk
Disk not readable'
It sounds like you are trying to save to floppy, but there is no floppy.

The modification they did on the ASR-X connects the SCSI2SD to the SCSI card on the ASR-X.

So any time you want to save a sample or load a sample, you will need to have the ASR-X pointed at the SCSI drive. I don't have mine plugged in right now to check the exact settings, but the choice should be somewhere in the ASR-X "Utility" or "Settings" menu.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2004
211
Here for the gear
 

@ taoyoyo ,
I have an ASR-x pro + scsi2sd V5.1. I use OSX
I remember it didn't worked the first time with a 2go partition.
I set it to 1990Mo.

I Probably had to go to
-> System-MIDI Button
-> Set system prefs
-> Reset SCSI bus

Try that first.
Did you tried to format the volume on your asr-x ?

I attached my settings.
Good luck, it will work !
Attached Thumbnails
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-capture-d-ecran-2018-10-13-15.50.22.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2005
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHG View Post
It sounds like you are trying to save to floppy, but there is no floppy.

The modification they did on the ASR-X connects the SCSI2SD to the SCSI card on the ASR-X.

So any time you want to save a sample or load a sample, you will need to have the ASR-X pointed at the SCSI drive. I don't have mine plugged in right now to check the exact settings, but the choice should be somewhere in the ASR-X "Utility" or "Settings" menu.
Hi PHG, thanks for your reply.

This was the initial video I watched:



I get into System > Access Disk Utilities and after a brief 'Loading Directory' message I get 'Format disk? [ I don't see 'Floppy' as in the video, which I wouldn't and if I move the Value knob to the right I get the 'Loading Directory' message, and once more before it stops ] I'm not seeing the SCSI partition 0' as on the video and if I try to format I get a 'Can't format disk' message.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2006
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
@ taoyoyo ,
I have an ASR-x pro + scsi2sd V5.1. I use OSX
I remember it didn't worked the first time with a 2go partition.
I set it to 1990Mo.

I Probably had to go to
-> System-MIDI Button
-> Set system prefs
-> Reset SCSI bus

Try that first.
Did you tried to format the volume on your asr-x ?

I attached my settings.
Good luck, it will work !
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing any SCSI settings in the System area.

From an MPC-Forums post:

"To format a SCSI device, the sampler needs to boot using its floppy drive otherwise the “Format SCSI Drive” command will not even show up in the options. Removing or disconnecting the floppy drive in order to feed power to the SCSI2SD board instead means the sampler won’t be able to use its floppy drive anymore"

https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=185158

I tried your Utils6 settings (bearing in mind I'm on the SCSI2SD V6 card) and unfortunately they didn't work either. [ What are your General page settings? ]

I've not been able to find the ASR-X Reference Manual online (only the Quick Start) but the SCSI upgrade was an optional upgrade (whereas on the Pro it was always fitted). The Pro manual has a section on SCSI but I'm not seeing these in 'Access disk utils'.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2007
bax
Gear Head
 

@ taoyoyo - I have an ASR-X Pro that I modded to add an internal SCSI2SD v5 unit (which replaced the floppy). In my experience, it isn't all that reliable, however there is one thing that you absolutely have to do in order to get it to recognize the SCSI2SD device:

You must power up the SCSI2SD before you turn on the ASR-X.

I keep a USB power supply/cable connected to mine and plug it it before I start my ASR-X and watch it boot normally (make sure you get the slight "blink" from the internal LED after a few seconds). After that, you can boot up the ASR-X and it will scan the SCSI bus on bootup and recognize the SD card you have in the unit (assuming it is properly set up with the SCSI2SD software as far as partitions/etc.). The maximum partition you should try to use is 2GB.

I still get a lot of lockups and issues with mine, but that is pretty common with the ASR-X in general. I have never been able to successfully "hot swap" an SD card and have the ASR-X rescan the SCSI bus; it either doesn't find the card at all, it isn't a readable disk, or locks up the unit entirely.

Hope that helps...
bax
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2008
211
Here for the gear
 

I second Bax on these kind of issue on the pro.
My scsi2sd card is external, and powered via USB. ASR-x scsi lines don't supply power.

@ taoyoyo,

Quote:
"To format a SCSI device, the sampler needs to boot using its floppy drive otherwise the “Format SCSI Drive” command will not even show up in the options. Removing or disconnecting the floppy drive in order to feed power to the SCSI2SD board instead means the sampler won’t be able to use its floppy drive anymore"
I read this many times, I may be wrong, but I think it concern only the ASR-10, not the X. I never read a such thing for the X.

Are you sure about your scsi ID number ? could you tell us what's the ID of your asr-x, or try to set it to 7, save, then reboot it. scsi2sd is usually between 0 and 4.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2009
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
@ taoyoyo - I have an ASR-X Pro that I modded to add an internal SCSI2SD v5 unit (which replaced the floppy). In my experience, it isn't all that reliable, however there is one thing that you absolutely have to do in order to get it to recognize the SCSI2SD device:

You must power up the SCSI2SD before you turn on the ASR-X.

I keep a USB power supply/cable connected to mine and plug it it before I start my ASR-X and watch it boot normally (make sure you get the slight "blink" from the internal LED after a few seconds). After that, you can boot up the ASR-X and it will scan the SCSI bus on bootup and recognize the SD card you have in the unit (assuming it is properly set up with the SCSI2SD software as far as partitions/etc.). The maximum partition you should try to use is 2GB.

I still get a lot of lockups and issues with mine, but that is pretty common with the ASR-X in general. I have never been able to successfully "hot swap" an SD card and have the ASR-X rescan the SCSI bus; it either doesn't find the card at all, it isn't a readable disk, or locks up the unit entirely.

Hope that helps...
bax
Thanks for your reply bax.

So that's a confirmation that the SCSI2SD requires the [5V] Micro-USB cable power. [ I've got mine attached via a USB hub, which is also attached to my computer ] There's an amber blink from inside the enclosure after it's plugged in.

I haven't seen any visual indication that the ASR recognizes the SCSI on boot up [ Just the ASR-X splash screen ]

I did read (think it was some Chicken Systems info) that the maximum size SD that should be used is 8GB (the card that came with the unit is 16GB) but I only have the one partition active (tried at 2GB and just under so far) and bought a couple of 2 / 4 GB cards to try this (but realized I have no way to format them without the floppy drive being active on boot).

I bought the ASR expecting a relatively simple plug and play scenario (the option was already fitted) so am impressed so far with the amount of research hours I've taken so far. It seems like a fun sampler from the little time I've spent with it so hopefully I can get the storage working. [ Even if I got a Zip drive and disks to attach I'd still have to go through the same issues! ]
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2010
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
I second Bax on these kind of issue on the pro.
My scsi2sd card is external, and powered via USB. ASR-x scsi lines don't supply power.

@ taoyoyo,

I read this many times, I may be wrong, but I think it concern only the ASR-10, not the X. I never read a such thing for the X.

Are you sure about your scsi ID number ? could you tell us what's the ID of your asr-x, or try to set it to 7, save, then reboot it. scsi2sd is usually between 0 and 4.
If the missing floppy drive is not an issue that would be one less thing to 'worry about'

As for the SCSI IDs... I'm not seeing anywhere in the ASR System prefs where I can confirm what it is or change it. The SCSI ID for the active partition on the SD is '0'.... I just tried changing that to 7 but did not change the outcome.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
projuice / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
18
Farshad / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
8
Alex.T / Music Computers
0
rodhmos / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
2
Matt Salazar / So Much Gear, So Little Time
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump