The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions
Old 26th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazper View Post
The bridged (SD/CF/ATA) devices would not have the read and write ability that a true SCSI device would.
Some things like the PCD-50B and the Acard 7720U don't seem to suffer with write speed problems but a lot of home brew types can.
My Acard with CF card is faster than the original SCSI drive in my application.
I also use a PCMCIA to SD card adapter with my PCD-50B in another device and it works better than CF. These older SCSI bridges can be very fussy as to what CF cards they are using. Having something with an SD card in it is probably the best way to go these days even if it may be a little slower.
Gear Addict

OK guys, I really need some help. Hopefully I'm in the right thread.

I recently purchased an s1100, which proved to have a bum floppy drive. No big deal, I figured; I'll just use an external Zip drive via SCSI. Well, I bought the wrong Centronics-to-50pin adapter, so that went out the window (I swear to god there are a million SCSI connectors), but I rallied again when I realized I could connect it to my MPC2000xl and the CF card it uses. However, I cannot for the life of me (and after much perusal of the manual) figure out how to dump samples from the MPC to the s1100. There's MIDI Sample Dump, but oh god let's not even go there.

Am I completely barking up the wrong tree? Is the issue that both samplers are "Master" devices? Is there some way to tell one to be "slave"? I may weep if I have to spend more money and wait another couple days for shipping before my new sampler can save and load.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Rancher View Post

I recently purchased an s1100, which proved to have a bum floppy drive. No big deal, I figured; I'll just use an external Zip drive via SCSI. Well, I bought the wrong Centronics-to-50pin adapter, so that went out the window (I swear to god there are a million SCSI connectors), but I rallied again when I realized I could connect it to my MPC2000xl and the CF card it uses. However, I cannot for the life of me (and after much perusal of the manual) figure out how to dump samples from the MPC to the s1100. There's MIDI Sample Dump, but oh god let's not even go there.

Am I completely barking up the wrong tree? Is the issue that both samplers are "Master" devices? Is there some way to tell one to be "slave"? I may weep if I have to spend more money and wait another couple days for shipping before my new sampler can save and load.
backwards compatibility maybee the issue here.

dump to another brand sampler, and back again.

one that they both can understand.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston135 View Post
backwards compatibility maybee the issue here.

dump to another brand sampler, and back again.

one that they both can understand.
Hey, thanks for the quick answer! Unfortunately, the only other sampler I have on hand is a k2000 which, you guessed it, uses yet another SCSI port. Currently trying to dig up a motherboard that supports PCI so I can try the old card I have lying around, but my hopes are not high.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the quick answer! Unfortunately, the only other sampler I have on hand is a k2000 which, you guessed it, uses yet another SCSI port. Currently trying to dig up a motherboard that supports PCI so I can try the old card I have lying around, but my hopes are not high.
plug hd in k2000. convert to k2000 files. back onto the hd (although i would suggest onto another hd for backup)

then plug into older akai. that should read the k2000 filesystem.

worth a try...
Gear Addict

Quote:
plug hd in k2000. convert to k2000 files. back onto the hd (although i would suggest onto another hd for backup)

then plug into older akai. that should read the k2000 filesystem.

worth a try...
Aaahhh gotcha--see, I don't have a hard drive. I was hoping to fire samples directly from one box to the other, MIDI SDS style. It sounds like this just isn't the way things are done, though, so I will probably just grab another (correct) SCSI cable and use the Zip drive as initially planned.

It seems I went and bought a Centronics 50->HD68, rather than the Centronics 50->HD50 that I needed. I think.

Here's what I'm working with (not my pictures)
Attached Thumbnails
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-scsi.png  
Lives for gear
Quote:
Aaahhh gotcha--see, I don't have a hard drive. I was hoping to fire samples directly from one box to the other, MIDI SDS style. It sounds like this just isn't the way things are done, though, so I will probably just grab another (correct) SCSI cable and use the Zip drive as initially planned.

It seems I went and bought a Centronics 50->HD68, rather than the Centronics 50->HD50 that I needed. I think.

Here's what I'm working with (not my pictures)
that will probably be the easyer option.

sorry i couldn't help
Gear Addict

Quote:
that will probably be the easyer option.

sorry i couldn't help
Actually, you were very helpful. I had no idea which direction to go in, and probably would have blundered around the UI of both Akais for several hours without confirmation that it was the wrong thing to do. So, thanks!
Lives for gear
Quote:
Actually, you were very helpful. I had no idea which direction to go in, and probably would have blundered around the UI of both Akais for several hours without confirmation that it was the wrong thing to do. So, thanks!
backward compatibility is a big issue with akai.

it's probably what gives each those machines there character sounds.

you could always do it the old fashion way and send via digital rca or 1/4 jacks
Lives for gear

Quote:
The cable you want to connect a zip drive to your sampler is this.
Centronics 50 pin Male to DB25 Male Shielded Cable
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
The cable you want to connect a zip drive to your sampler is this.
Centronics 50 pin Male to DB25 Male Shielded Cable
Are you sure? That looks like the connector for this port and not this one
Old 27th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you sure? That looks like the connector for this port and not this one

I think the problem is that you don't have a SCSI port on your Zip drive.
I did a bit of a search as I've never seen that particular model zip drive before.
Most places say it's a port for an Iomega firewire adapter and will not work with SCSI devices.
One page I found says it's a parallel port which will also not work with SCSI devices.

SCSI Zip drives have DB25 SCSI ports, like on the cable I linked.

Googling the model number for your drive seems to confirm it does not have SCSI.
Do you have a manual or anything stating it's definitely a SCSI port ?

Last edited by Acid Mitch; 27th January 2015 at 03:03 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:

That photo is of a Zip 250 USB drive.

The large connector is for a Firewire adapter.

https://lenovo-na-en.custhelp.com/ap...tail/a_id/2012

Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks Simon.
That's a pretty handy page you linked.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post

That photo is of a Zip 250 USB drive.

The large connector is for a Firewire adapter.

https://lenovo-na-en.custhelp.com/ap...tail/a_id/2012

Well, I certainly feel like an idiot now. Sorry, all. And thanks.

Regardless, I've wound up deciding to just go ahead and replace the floppy drive; I've got a big box of disks anyway since my k2000 uses them as well. Just trying to find a compatible drive that isn't marked up too much.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well, I certainly feel like an idiot now. Sorry, all. And thanks.

Regardless, I've wound up deciding to just go ahead and replace the floppy drive; I've got a big box of disks anyway since my k2000 uses them as well. Just trying to find a compatible drive that isn't marked up too much.
If you get a SCSI zip drive for the Kurzweil you can have that connected to your Kurzweil and use the USB ZIp drive you have plugged into a computer to transfer files.
That way you can easily back stuff up , edit and process samples on your computer and download patches from the internet and transfer them .

You can also use it to back up Akai samples to your computer.
Old 28th January 2015 | Show parent
Quote:

Most of the card readers on the MPC2000xl are IDE based units. If it's SCSI then make sure no conflicting SCSI ID's and you should be able to use it as storage for the S-1100. Just don't try reading from the device at the same time.

I would look at the Jaz Drives since your zip is "Not SCSI" or skip them all together and jump to the artmix SD card option.

Last edited by kazper; 28th January 2015 at 05:05 AM..
Old 28th January 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
I think this is the most likely problem.#
Try upgrading.
I read that 1.2a is for non SCSI, 1.2b is for SCSI but I can't confirm that.
Hi Mitch.
I have some updates but unfortunately, not good ones...

I just did an OS upgrade to my AKAI S950.
I changed the Eproms to 1.2 but still can't load back from the SD card and the Gigafile. I can save it like I was able to do with the 1.0. It really seems there is something wrong... I am now still going to try other ways.. I am going to try to find an old 1GB SD card at first, and going to try to "slow down" the communication interface on the Gigafile as well.
The manual says you have to close some jumpers. Maybe the Gigafile is too fast for the S950.
These will be for me the last 2 options.
I really really really don't know what else to try.

I'll let you guys know, so this information could be useful for others willing to try the Gigafile with the S950.. So far not good news, despite a manual saying it's compatible.

Andy
Old 29th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

andyfox - is it the IB105 you have installed in the S950 or do you have an IB109 ?
I think your Gigafile drive might only work the ib105. (That's what the s950 section in the Gigafile sampler suggests)

If your going to change jumpers take a note of what positions they are in so you can put them back if changing them does not work.

Last edited by Acid Mitch; 30th January 2015 at 04:52 PM..
Old 30th January 2015
Gear Nut
Those of you who have CD drives for your samplers, have you ever tested archival gold CD-R's? I'm tempted to buy a few for my Akai CD3000XL in order to preserve the samples I have, most of which are from dated sample CD's that will expire in my lifetime anyway, because as great as CF cards are for rewritable data, let's face it: read only data tends to last longer, and I don't want to have to cram every single sound I have into my computer drive, which I've already had to use multiple of just to store everything I need.
Old 30th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python Blue View Post
Those of you who have CD drives for your samplers, have you ever tested archival gold CD-R's? I'm tempted to buy a few for my Akai CD3000XL in order to preserve the samples I have, most of which are from dated sample CD's that will expire in my lifetime anyway, because as great as CF cards are for rewritable data, let's face it: read only data tends to last longer, and I don't want to have to cram every single sound I have into my computer drive, which I've already had to use multiple of just to store everything I need.
origy cds will last a long time. don't worry about that.

for things you sample yourself i would advise them,

get a 512mb SD, copy it to cd when full.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python Blue View Post
Those of you who have CD drives for your samplers, have you ever tested archival gold CD-R's? .
They work fine.
Lives for gear

What is there to make use of Kurzweil K2661's SCSI please?
Old 16th February 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazper View Post

I picked up a couple of the micro SD to SD adapters....

I still haven't had time to test the SCSI2SD in any of my samplers....
I got the CODESRC external DB25 version of the SCSI2SD hooked up to my S5000 today and it worked great. I used a SCSI 50 pin to DB25 cable and the external power adapter I ordered from China for $2 to get it up and running.

Now that I know it works I too have ordered a micro SD to SD extension cable and will mount the SCSI2SD in a box so I can use it with the variety of legacy SCSI devices I have. I really like that it can be updated and configured via USB. Already upgraded mine to the latest firmware and changed the SCSI ID to avoid conflicts. Did not yet test the multidrive feature but will once the extension cable arrives.

Great product!
Old 1st March 2015
Here for the gear
Hi everyone, been trawling through this thread while waiting for my S3000XL to arrive. Just wanted to make sure that in order to install a Fuzin/Raizin Monster all I would need in addition would be a SCSI cable. Also, is it easy to mount the card reader, any additional parts I would need?

And do the S series generally work best with SD or CF (or is there no difference)?

Thanks in advance
Old 2nd March 2015 | Show parent
Just wanted to post a update on the SCSI2CD from code-src. Software is still kind of rough to set the devices ID etc. Using an old school PC is better than trying to use terminal to get the mac version to work.

I did get it to work as a single device for an Akai S-3000XL, using FW 4.1.1 (2/23/15) as shown in the picture and using a 1G SD card. SCS2SD had both term resistor and jumper on J3, same as it was new.
Attached Thumbnails
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-akai-s-3000xl_fw411.jpg  
Gear Nut

Im notmreally sure if this would be the proper place to post this but I just bought a gotek 1.44mg DL version for my s3000xl and its not working. it says unreadable format! or unformatted? or different floppy disk format-retrying. If i cant get this to work, Im gonna have to return it and possibly try a scsi something.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura View Post
Just wanted to make sure that in order to install a Fuzin/Raizin Monster all I would need in addition would be a SCSI cable. Also, is it easy to mount the card reader, any additional parts I would need?

And do the S series generally work best with SD or CF (or is there no difference)?
Hi Sakura,

I can answer the first part of your question: yes, in order to connect the card reader to the sampler's motherboard, all you need is a SCSI cable - but take care, since you have to connect it correctly and probably all Akai SCSI sockets on the motherboard are in reverse as you'd expect them (compared to their placing in a computer). Check out Martin's page for all this and more:

Akai s1100 CF card inside (scsi to ide) | Martin78.com

It's also good to have an HD bay or something to keep it fixed. Everything about the installation should be in the manual As for the RaizinMonster, after re-reading older posts I think it should work (it does in MPC's and EMUs), I have an AztecMonster CF card reader (with a 4GB SanDisk card) and works well as a backup HD. My earlier posts regarding this:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10401494-post564.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10403799-post567.html

Hope this helps.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj75 View Post
Hi Sakura,

I can answer the first part of your question: yes, in order to connect the card reader to the sampler's motherboard, all you need is a SCSI cable - but take care, since you have to connect it correctly and probably all Akai SCSI sockets on the motherboard are in reverse as you'd expect them (compared to their placing in a computer). Check out Martin's page for all this and more:

Akai s1100 CF card inside (scsi to ide) | Martin78.com

It's also good to have an HD bay or something to keep it fixed. Everything about the installation should be in the manual As for the RaizinMonster, after re-reading older posts I think it should work (it does in MPC's and EMUs), I have an AztecMonster CF card reader (with a 4GB SanDisk card) and works well as a backup HD. My earlier posts regarding this:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10401494-post564.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10403799-post567.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. Did you ever manage to fix the issue you described in one of those posts? I don't have a Zip drive so I would need to be able to save everything via the card reader

e: Ah, the AztecMonster is meant to act as an internal HD. I guess it should be fine with the RaizinMonster then
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Did you ever manage to fix the issue you described in one of those posts? I don't have a Zip drive so I would need to be able to save everything via the card reader
Currently I'm happy with the way it is, maybe I'll give it a go in the summer when I'll have some time, but I'd rather not disturb the current setup. Recycle works, SCSI works, zip drive works...

Quote:
Ah, the AztecMonster is meant to act as an internal HD. I guess it should be fine with the RaizinMonster then
I'm sure all will be fine with the RaizinMonster. If you have any questions, just post it, I learned the hard way with that socket thing, even though I read about it.
📝 Reply