The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions
Old 24th April 2014
  #451
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by portervance View Post
As much as I want the ability to save my samples to media that can hold more than 1.5MB I flat out refuse to pay $220 to some guy on eBay who wants people to believe he has the last remaining SCSI CF card reader on earth
Native SCSI card readers are getting hard to find.


Quote:
Originally Posted by portervance View Post
There are no markings on the reader to indicate a manufacturer but I'm assuming people are familiar with this model?
Microtech (or SCM) PCD-50B (5 slots).

The similar external multi-card readers on eBay are the PCD-60B (6 slots).

These use SCSI LUNs (Logical Unit Numbers) to access the multiple slots, from a single SCSI ID, so the sampler would have to support selection of different SCSI LUNs on a single SCSI ID, to be able to use all the slots. Otherwise, the sampler will only probably be able to access the slot designated as SCSI LUN 0, usually the PCMCIA slot, and if so, would need a PCMCIA-CF adapter to use CF cards in the PCMCIA slot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by portervance View Post
Or an SD card reader if that's at all possible.
The external SD card readers that are sold on eBay are most likely an IDE-SD card reader, connected to a SCSI-IDE bridge, in an external SCSI case, similar to what Acid Mitch did in the photos he posted above, with a CF reader.

You can probably do the same, internally, without the external SCSI case.


Quote:
Originally Posted by portervance View Post
Also, regarding using a SCSI to SATA adaptor, what are the limitations I should know about for going this route? Obviously using an adapter lets you stuff a SATA hard drive or other SATA device in your sampler and will pinout to your SCSI port, but have people found that only certain SATA devices from certain manufacturers will work or something like that?
I have only tried the AztecMonster SCSI-SATA bridge, with a Delock SATA-CF reader, and the limitation is that it is expensive, probably as much, or more, than the external SCSI-CF/SD readers on eBay.

But, it works with an MPC3000, not sure about any other samplers, so maybe cheaper SCSI-SATA bridges, and cheaper SATA-CF or SATA-SD card readers, might also work.
Old 24th April 2014
  #452
Gear Addict
 
Pilotwings's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by portervance View Post
What model SD card reader did you install? Using SD would be ideal since my computer had an SD card slot but I've pretty much only seen CompactFlash mentioned for use with older samplers. I've got an EMU E4 as well so I'm extra interested in your comments.

As for your links, wasn't the whole point of this thread to show that you don't *need* to buy the $220 huge external SCSI CF card readers from those guys on eBay but can instead by the OEM parts and we will show you where and how?

As much as I want the ability to save my samples to media that can hold more than 1.5MB I flat out refuse to pay $220 to some guy on eBay who wants people to believe he has the last remaining SCSI CF card reader on earth (and that that is the only option that will work for people).

For the EMU folks, I want to install something like what this guy has installed:

There are no markings on the reader to indicate a manufacturer but I'm assuming people are familiar with this model?

Or an SD card reader if that's at all possible. I am still assuming you meant CF .

Also, regarding using a SCSI to SATA adaptor, what are the limitations I should know about for going this route? Obviously using an adapter lets you stuff a SATA hard drive or other SATA device in your sampler and will pinout to your SCSI port, but have people found that only certain SATA devices from certain manufacturers will work or something like that? Are there card reader/floppy disk peripherals that work on SATA which can use the adapter as well?
It is an SD card reader not CF. I didn't look at what brand or model it was before I installed it, but it works great. Here is the link to the completed ebay listing.
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutionsE MU ESI Internal SD Card Reader Writer Drive Kit RW ESI 32 ESI 2000 ESI 4000 32 | eBay

I ended up using a strong piece of velcro to secure the adapter to the upper inside of the case so it wouldn't just be laying on the main board. If I have time after work I'll post a picture of the face. Also, I received a $10 discount for "sharing on facebook".
Old 24th April 2014
  #453
Lives for gear
 
CarLofgren's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotwings View Post
It is an SD card reader not CF. I didn't look at what brand or model it was before I installed it, but it works great. Here is the link to the completed ebay listing.
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutionsE MU ESI Internal SD Card Reader Writer Drive Kit RW ESI 32 ESI 2000 ESI 4000 32 | eBay

I ended up using a strong piece of velcro to secure the adapter to the upper inside of the case so it wouldn't just be laying on the main board. If I have time after work I'll post a picture of the face. Also, I received a $10 discount for "sharing on facebook".
+1 for pictures!

/C
Old 24th April 2014
  #454
Lives for gear
 
Acid Mitch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post

You can probably do the same, internally, without the external SCSI case.
.
Aye, you can fit it internally for sure. There's a few people at the MPC forum with the same bits, minus the external case.
In the MPC60 and 3000 you need an additional adapter if you still want to use the external SCSI port



Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
But, it works with an MPC3000, not sure about any other samplers, so maybe cheaper SCSI-SATA bridges, and cheaper SATA-CF or SATA-SD card readers, might also work.
Getting a bridge/reader/card combination that works with a particular sampler can be a bit of a crap shoot.
Unless they're willing to risk it, I think people are probably as well going for something that is known to be compatible, even if it does appear to be a bit more expensive than other things around.
All that return postage on non compatible stuff soon adds up, not to mention the frustration if your not too patient.
Old 24th April 2014
  #455
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
These use SCSI LUNs (Logical Unit Numbers) to access the multiple slots, from a single SCSI ID, so the sampler would have to support selection of different SCSI LUNs on a single SCSI ID, to be able to use all the slots. Otherwise, the sampler will only probably be able to access the slot designated as SCSI LUN 0, usually the PCMCIA slot, and if so, would need a PCMCIA-CF adapter to use CF cards in the PCMCIA slot.
Ahh that makes sense. I know I've seen the PCMCIA solution mentioned everywhere but was always curious about the reasoning for this. Most of what I've read online has been "it's just the way it is" with no technical description, but that makes more sense now. A multicard reader wouldn't be necessary for me, I just like the utility, JUST IN CASE I want to use another format (but in this case it sounds like more bother than its worth.

So a single format solution it is for me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotwings View Post
It is an SD card reader not CF. I didn't look at what brand or model it was before I installed it, but it works great. Here is the link to the completed ebay listing.
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutionsE MU ESI Internal SD Card Reader Writer Drive Kit RW ESI 32 ESI 2000 ESI 4000 32 | eBay

I ended up using a strong piece of velcro to secure the adapter to the upper inside of the case so it wouldn't just be laying on the main board. If I have time after work I'll post a picture of the face. Also, I received a $10 discount for "sharing on facebook".
It looks like he's selling an Addtronics board with a few cables, molex connector, an IDE/SCSI adapter, and SD card.

I found the Addtronics board for $35 (shopaddonics - - IDE SD adapter, black color bay). Whether or not the board will just work out of the box I'm not sure (I assume it does not since Mr. eBay is selling it with an adapter board). Addtronics also makes the standard CF/IDE card slot I've seen mentioned in many places. Oh how I wish Addtronics could slap a slim floppy drive on one of these and get it to play nicely on the SCSI bus, but I think I will end up buying one of these from Addtronics.
Old 24th April 2014
  #456
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by portervance View Post
It looks like he's selling an Addtronics board with a few cables, molex connector, an IDE/SCSI adapter, and SD card.

I found the Addtronics board for $35 (shopaddonics - - IDE SD adapter, black color bay). Whether or not the board will just work out of the box I'm not sure (I assume it does not since Mr. eBay is selling it with an adapter board). Addtronics also makes the standard CF/IDE card slot I've seen mentioned in many places. Oh how I wish Addtronics could slap a slim floppy drive on one of these and get it to play nicely on the SCSI bus, but I think I will end up buying one of these from Addtronics.
Yes, it is the Addonics (not Addtronics) IDE-SD card reader...
Addonics Product: IDE - SD Adapter

It will not work by itself, out of the box, it is being used with an Acard SCSI-IDE/ATAPI bridge, which converts the SCSI signals/connector in the sampler to the IDE signals/connector that the SD card reader needs to operate with.

It also includes a male-female IDE cable, to connect the Acard SCSI-IDE bridge to the SD card reader, and a power cable y-splitter cable, to split an internal power connector into two, to provide power to the Acard SCSI-IDE bridge via a 4 pin Molex hard drive power connector and to the SD card reader via a 4 pin floppy power connector.

That particular Acard SCSI-IDE/ATAPI bridge, the Acard AEC-7720UW, is an ultra-wide SCSI version, so it also has an adapter to convert from the SCSI connector on the bridge to a 50 pin IDC ribbon cable for the internal sampler SCSI connection. The Acard AEC-7720U ultra-SCSI version does not need that adapter, as it has the necessary connector for a 50 pin IDC ribbon cable. These bridges were selling second hand for $70-100 a while ago, even as low as $30 in some cases, but now seem to sell, possibly new, for up around $200-250 on eBay.

It is most probably non-hot swap, as the SD card reader specs/features do not mention hot swap or the ATAPI protocol, which provides the hot swap functionality on top of the IDE protocol.

If you want to keep the floppy drive, you could find somewhere else to mount the SD card reader PCB, where the card slot would be accessible from the outside of the sampler, maybe even cutting a new hole/slot in the sampler, if needed/wanted. Or if you don't need to remove the SD card, you could mount it internally.
Old 25th April 2014
  #457
Gear Addict
 
Pilotwings's Avatar
Here are a couple pics. I understand some people may want to source their own parts to save money, but I felt comfortable with the purchase knowing I had support when asking questions (which I did), and also knowing that these were tested and confirmed to work in my sampler. Since the E-mu E4 Platinum was maxed out from the start, I needed to remove the SCSI 2 port for use with the SD card reader. This was fine for me since I only use one external CD-ROM drive. I can confirm the SD card reader is FAST. That being said, I've removed the internal HD (which could've been left in and used both), but thought the additional storage, heat and noise were not needed.
Attached Thumbnails
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-image_3279.jpg   SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions-image_8600.jpg  
Old 25th April 2014
  #458
Lives for gear
 
CarLofgren's Avatar
 

A BLUE SD CARD IN THAT BEAUTY OF BLACK AND GREY???
(just kidding - looks damn great!)

/C
Old 25th April 2014
  #459
Lives for gear
I've spent some time trying to find various options to bring old samplers to the current century. Finding an old external scsi cf reader might be the best option but since finding one is getting really hard the second best option would be to use various adapters to get the functionality. For most old samplers with limited memory the ide->scsi option is ok. So any bridge like Acard AEC-7720U (or UW = wide scsi) with Addonics, Star Tech, DeLock or whatever cf card reader might work once you configure the bridge (jumpers for SCSI id, termination etc.) and use a compatible cf card.

However if you want a truely hot swappable card reader finding one will be much harder. Correct me if I'm wrong but most bridges, including AztecMonster I/II make the cf card look like a hard drive to the sampler. However they are never meant to be hot swappable. For my Kurzweil it is possible to put a drive to sleep which might equal to ejecting/unmounting but still it is not hot swapping as would be changing a zip or magneto-optical disk. I've found a couple of drives that appear as magneto-optical drives:

CF2SCSI / SCSIFLASH-MO, SCSI Fujitsu Magneto Optic Emulator to CF

Flash disk based replacement for magneto-optical (MO) disk drives. MO Emulator/title>

but I suspect they are priced for industrial/hospital/laboratory use so they're no good for the cheapskate.

Any ideas would be welcome. Maybe I'll just settle to using a ide/sata bridge & cf card reader because most of the write operations happen on the computer side anyway.
Old 25th April 2014
  #460
Gear Addict
 
Pilotwings's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLofgren View Post
A BLUE SD CARD IN THAT BEAUTY OF BLACK AND GREY???
(just kidding - looks damn great!)

/C
Thanks!

ps - I've formatted both 8 and 16 gig SD cards and they work perfect. Also, I've copied WAV files from the computer and loaded them into the E4 as well, although I haven't figured out how to load multiple samples copied from the computer to the SD card into the E4 without having to load them one at a time.
Old 25th April 2014
  #461
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
However if you want a truely hot swappable card reader finding one will be much harder. Correct me if I'm wrong but most bridges, including AztecMonster I/II make the cf card look like a hard drive to the sampler. However they are never meant to be hot swappable. For my Kurzweil it is possible to put a drive to sleep which might equal to ejecting/unmounting but still it is not hot swapping as would be changing a zip or magneto-optical disk.
The Acard AEC-7720U/UW SCSI-IDE/ATAPI bridges support the ATAPI protocol, which provides the additional hot swap functionality on top of the IDE protocol.

If an IDE/ATAPI card reader is used with that bridge, and the card reader itself is compatible for hot swap functionality with the bridge and sampler, it can be hot swap compatible.

If a straight IDE card reader (adapter) is used with that bridge, it will not be hot swap.

It can be difficult to find IDE/ATAPI card readers that are hot swap, and that are compatible with the bridge and the sampler.

In the case of Akai MPCs, the Delock 91640 operates as a hot swap card reader, with the Acard AEC-7720U/UW SCSI-IDE/ATAPI bridge...
Delock IDE 3.5 Card Reader > PCMCIA-ATA Flash und Compact Flash

The AztecMonster I SCSI-CF adapter uses the same Acard ARC760-B SCSI-IDE bridge chip as the Acard AEC-7720U/UW, but does not provide hot swap operation, with Akai MPCs.

While the AztecMonster II SCSI-SATA bridge uses the same Acard ARC760-B SCSI-IDE bridge chip as the Acard AEC-7720U/UW, and when used with the Delock 91690 SATA-CF card reader, does provide hot swap operation, with Akai MPCs.

Finding a SCSI bridge and card reader combination that works with a particular sampler, especially with hot swap operation, is not straight forward, and can take some experimentation/expense to come up with a working solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
I've found a couple of drives that appear as magneto-optical drives:

CF2SCSI / SCSIFLASH-MO, SCSI Fujitsu Magneto Optic Emulator to CF

Flash disk based replacement for magneto-optical (MO) disk drives. MO Emulator/title>

but I suspect they are priced for industrial/hospital/laboratory use so they're no good for the cheapskate.
The first of those options is definitely not for the cheapskate!!!

I asked them for pricing when I was looking for solutions...
Quote:
Price for 1 off each for a Disk / Floppy / MO Emulator (SCSIFLASH-DISK / SCSIFLASH-FLOPPY/ SCSIFLASH-MO) is £835.00

I can offer a unit price of £750.00 for orders of 15+

We will need an NDA signed & payment in advance but will refund this if you are not happy with the unit after 30 period. I am confident this will not be the case.
Old 25th April 2014
  #462
Lives for gear
How does the MPC3000 see the DeLock drive? My K2500 knows if it uses an optical or hard drive and even finds out the manufacturer id. What happens when you remove the cf card and change to another card? Does the MPC3000 keep up with the changes? I have an original external SCSI4Samplers drive which is not hot swappable, probably because of the cf card reader.
Old 25th April 2014
  #463
Lives for gear
 

Yes, the MPC3000 keeps up with card changes.

Can't remember whether it is immediate, while still in a save/load screen, or whether you have to go out of the save/load screen, and back in, for it to re-read the card and recognise the change.

Would have to check that, and see how it compares to a SCSI Zip, to know for sure.
Old 25th April 2014
  #464
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
Can't remember whether it is immediate, while still in a save/load screen, or whether you have to go out of the save/load screen, and back in, for it to re-read the card and recognise the change.

Would have to check that, and see how it compares to a SCSI Zip, to know for sure.
Thanks, that was all I wanted to know. I doubt the MPC would continuously poll for changes but it still sounds like luxury to me (just found out that Linux can read all the MPC partitions if formatted in hybrid mode, yippee!)

I would like to know too if MPC sees zip drives any differently. Actually there might be no difference at least in user interface level.
Old 25th April 2014
  #465
Lives for gear
 
Acid Mitch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
I would like to know too if MPC sees zip drives any differently. Actually there might be no difference at least in user interface level.
As far as I know, the Akai samplers from that era don't know what kind of disk you are using. It can't tell if your using CF cards, CD roms or zip disks.
Zips work fine and are hot swappable.
Weather something is hot swappable or not comes down to a combination of sampler, scsi bridge and card reader. Like some combinations are hot swappable on some samplers but not on others.
You also have to watch out for compatible cards if your using CF cards. Again, some work with particular sampler/bridge/reader combinations and others don't.
MPC3000 can be a bit picky.
Old 10th May 2014
  #466
Gear Nut
 

Hey guys I just got the powermonster II and backmonolith SCSI cf card reader for my mpc-3000, and I'm having trouble getting it work, has anybody got theres to work? In this blog post it shows it working fine but mine is having trouble...
ARTMIX Blog » Awave Studio?PowerMonster II?????GarageBand????MPC3000?????

if anybody can help I'd really appreciate it

Hi I got a response from the seller, I need to use a smaller, slower cf card... "Please try more less volume and normal speed CF, such as SanDisk 512MB or Transcend 1GB."
Old 12th May 2014
  #467
Lives for gear
 
Septik's Avatar
I am a total noob to scsi and vintage samplers, but I've been totally addicted to my s1000 the past few weeks now that I've finally started to fit it into my workflow, and I am thinking about getting an s950 to accompany it. I have just purchased a scsi CF reader that is advertised as compatible with both, but here is my question:

Will I be able to use it with both at once? Will I have to differentiate between which programs I save from the s1000 and which I save from the s950? How do people normally manage this type of thing? Do they get a scsi CF drive for each device? That thing was expensive, haha! Also, if I format it for the S1000 from the S1000's "HDSK" page, will it be incompatible with the S950? Totally confused here.. Any help would be great!

Edit: this is the drive I bought, as that mint factor in to answering my questions: SCSI for samplers, tips & solutionshttp://www.ebay.com/itm/AKAI-Compact...item46101fc240
Old 12th May 2014
  #468
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia View Post
I use a Stratos Technology SCSI-SATA bridge, with a Delock SATA CF reader, in an Akai MPC3000, for a hot swap solution.

He also makes a SCSI-CF reader, which is not hot swap in an MPC3000.
Interesting - I see in your picture the card reader and SCSI bridge - do you have this mounted internally in your MPC3000? I want to switch out the floppy on mine with something with higher capacity. I was thinking about jaz until I started reading about the card readers. I'd like to avoid replacing one obsolete technology with another if I can.

Is there something particular about those models which work on the MPC3000, or would any SCSI<->SATA bridge plus SATA card mount work in theory?
Old 12th May 2014
  #469
SEED78
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
I am a total noob to scsi and vintage samplers, but I've been totally addicted to my s1000 the past few weeks now that I've finally started to fit it into my workflow, and I am thinking about getting an s950 to accompany it. I have just purchased a scsi CF reader that is advertised as compatible with both, but here is my question:

Will I be able to use it with both at once? Will I have to differentiate between which programs I save from the s1000 and which I save from the s950? How do people normally manage this type of thing? Do they get a scsi CF drive for each device? That thing was expensive, haha! Also, if I format it for the S1000 from the S1000's "HDSK" page, will it be incompatible with the S950? Totally confused here.. Any help would be great!
I'd be really surprised if you have a easy life getting 1 reader to work with 2 very fussy old samplers in tandem. also the chance those seller have been able to do a proper bench check with a scsi expanded S950 is rare.

that drive you have bought is not hot swap (uses a non-hotswap star tech CF>IDE) - might not mean your task is harder, but then again it might...

getting CF drive solutions for the S950 isn't easy, or cheap. but they ARE cool samplers, mine is best buddies with my ASR10 rack. I have another 2 S950's knocking about at the moment I'm selling locally.

I like to use my S950 to sample drums then I record to computer and chop up for later use in my MPC3000 via CF.
Old 12th May 2014
  #470
Lives for gear
 
Septik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
I'd be really surprised if you have a easy life getting 1 reader to work with 2 very fussy old samplers in tandem. also the chance those seller have been able to do a proper bench check with a scsi expanded S950 is rare.

that drive you have bought is not hot swap (uses a non-hotswap star tech CF>IDE) - might not mean your task is harder, but then again it might...

getting CF drive solutions for the S950 isn't easy, or cheap. but they ARE cool samplers, mine is best buddies with my ASR10 rack. I have another 2 S950's knocking about at the moment I'm selling locally.

I like to use my S950 to sample drums then I record to computer and chop up for later use in my MPC3000 via CF.
Ok well if it's not in tandem, and I use the same drive for each of the samplers (not simultaneously) how should I sort s950 and s1000 samples and programs on that drive to differentiate them? Or will they just load into each other interchangeably? (Doubtful, but hey.) does anybody use one drive to store samples from multiple samplers? I suppose I could use dedicated CF cards for each to avoid any confusion, I.e. Only store S950 samples & progs on one card, and S1000 ones on another. In that case, what about formatting the drive? Will I need to do this for each machine every time I switch back and forth, or should it be interchangeable with both, format-wise?
Old 13th May 2014
  #471
Lives for gear
 
turnstile's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
Ok well if it's not in tandem, and I use the same drive for each of the samplers (not simultaneously) how should I sort s950 and s1000 samples and programs on that drive to differentiate them? Or will they just load into each other interchangeably? (Doubtful, but hey.) does anybody use one drive to store samples from multiple samplers? I suppose I could use dedicated CF cards for each to avoid any confusion, I.e. Only store S950 samples & progs on one card, and S1000 ones on another. In that case, what about formatting the drive? Will I need to do this for each machine every time I switch back and forth, or should it be interchangeable with both, format-wise?
Yes. You will need two separate CF cards one for each machine as I believe they both use different storage file formats. Just like with a regular hard disk you will create 'partitions' on each CF card for use with that specific model (S950, and S1000). I believe the maximum partition size they can work with is 512Meg, but you can create multiple partitions per CF card.
Old 13th May 2014
  #472
Lives for gear
 
m4thlab's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
Ok well if it's not in tandem, and I use the same drive for each of the samplers (not simultaneously) how should I sort s950 and s1000 samples and programs on that drive to differentiate them? Or will they just load into each other interchangeably? (Doubtful, but hey.) does anybody use one drive to store samples from multiple samplers? I suppose I could use dedicated CF cards for each to avoid any confusion, I.e. Only store S950 samples & progs on one card, and S1000 ones on another. In that case, what about formatting the drive? Will I need to do this for each machine every time I switch back and forth, or should it be interchangeable with both, format-wise?
Dude, dedicated cards. 100% Don't even think about trying to use the same card for different samplers, there's no point. I have a CF drive just like that and a stack of cards that I use for a Roland s760 and an Akai s1000. Those two big SCSI ports on the back of your reader, one goes to the Roland, one goes to the Akai. Just hot swap the cards out when you want to load/save to a particular sampler. You might have to get the sampler to scan for SCSI drives each time you change a CF card though, but that's not a big deal either. Not sure about your question on formatting, you only need to format a card to initialize it, first time you use it, not each time you swap it in and out. Have a little pile of s950 cards and a little pile of s1000 cards. Easy.
Old 13th May 2014
  #473
SEED78
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4thlab View Post
Dude, dedicated cards. 100% Don't even think about trying to use the same card for different samplers, there's no point. I have a CF drive just like that and a stack of cards that I use for a Roland s760 and an Akai s1000. Those two big SCSI ports on the back of your reader, one goes to the Roland, one goes to the Akai. Just hot swap the cards out when you want to load/save to a particular sampler. You might have to get the sampler to scan for SCSI drives each time you change a CF card though, but that's not a big deal either. Not sure about your question on formatting, you only need to format a card to initialize it, first time you use it, not each time you swap it in and out. Have a little pile of s950 cards and a little pile of s1000 cards. Easy.
This.

Only thing is he doesn't have a hot swap drive - its a startech CF>IDE in a enclosure.
Old 13th May 2014
  #474
Lives for gear
 
m4thlab's Avatar
 

Ah, ok. Think mine's a microtech. Not sure if it's supposed to support hot swapping, but seems to work ok, just need to rescan on the sampler when changing cards.
Old 13th May 2014
  #475
Lives for gear
 
Septik's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
This.

Only thing is he doesn't have a hot swap drive - its a startech CF>IDE in a enclosure.
What will I have to do to swap drives then? Power the reader off, swap, then power on? That's not a huge deal if that's all.
Old 13th May 2014
  #476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
Power the reader off, swap, then power on? That's not a huge deal if that's all.
And wait some 20 seconds or so after power up and before re-scan. Usually signalized by the little red LED once the drive is ready. (this applies for non hot swappable drives)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstile View Post
I believe the maximum partition size they can work with is 512Meg, but you can create multiple partitions per CF card.
One Akai partition max size is 60MB.
Old 13th May 2014
  #477
Lives for gear
 
Acid Mitch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
What will I have to do to swap drives then? Power the reader off, swap, then power on? That's not a huge deal if that's all.
You have to power off the reader and the samplers to change cards.
If your half way through doing something, you save it to the card,power off reader and sampler, swap card, power up again.

If your CF reader does not hot swap , I'd recommend using 2, or 1 and a zip drive or something to make workflow easier.
Old 13th May 2014
  #478
Lives for gear
 
Acid Mitch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
And wait some 20 seconds or so after power up and before re-scan.
.
With the Akai samplers I've used (MPC60, S3000,S3000xl, CD3000) it's no where near that amount of time. Scanning is pretty quick.No more than 5 seconds.
Old 13th May 2014
  #479
Lives for gear
 
Septik's Avatar
Dang, should have done a little more research before buying then, I guess. Hot swap really would help, as shutting down the sampler every time I want to use the cf reader with it sounds like a major pain. Wouldn't be too bad if it was just the reader that I had to power cycle. Maybe I will return the drive, they have a 10 day money back guarantee. Can anyone recommend a hot swappable external drive that works with these akai samplers for $250 or less?
Old 13th May 2014
  #480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
Dang, should have done a little more research before buying then, I guess. Hot swap really would help, as shutting down the sampler every time I want to use the cf reader with it sounds like a major pain. Wouldn't be too bad if it was just the reader that I had to power cycle.
No need to power down the samplers if your external CF drive have two ports in the back.

Simply disable termination on the CF drive. Connect one SCSI cable to S950. Other SCSI cable goes to S1000. You can now use both samplers without need to turn any of them off. However do not access the card from both samplers at the same time!

To exchange the card, you don't have to power down any of the samplers. Simply turn off the reader drive. Replace card, power it up and wait some 20 seconds until LED signals its ready before accessing it from the other sampler.

And you're set!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump